• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey Check Reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
From GWR Journey Check:

Alterations to services between Worcester Shrub Hill and Worcester Foregate Street
Following a security alert at a station between Worcester Shrub Hill and Worcester Foregate Street all lines will be reopened shortly.
Train services running through these stations may be delayed or terminated at Worcester Shrub Hill. Disruption is expected until 18:30 12/06.

Details here:-

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=148301

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
From GWR Journey Check:

Alterations to services between Worcester Shrub Hill and Worcester Foregate Street
Following a security alert at a station between Worcester Shrub Hill and Worcester Foregate Street all lines will be reopened shortly.
Train services running through these stations may be delayed or terminated at Worcester Shrub Hill. Disruption is expected until 18:30 12/06.

Guilty.

The original message made more sense - all lines are currently blocked between WOS and WOF due to a security alert at a station. Deliberately ambiguous about exact location to deter people from going to the area.

When it came to de-escalating the incident on Tyrell (and thus journeycheck etc) it seems to have reverted back to the standard message ordering - following a security alert at a station etc etc...

Didn't know Tyrell did that; and nobody pointed out the error at the time, but will know it happens in future.

JN114

Established Member
A semi colon after 'station' would have sufficed to change it to something meaningful.

Indeed! Unfortunately Tyrell isn't a free text system (at least not for the kind of message with the iffy wording)

The messages are generated when we in control create a "Line Problem" in Tyrell. We're presented with a series of drop downs - locations between; estimate for reopening; reason for delay; status of line and so on. There are some free-text fields but the core message is generated.

These are then taken by Tyrell which posts auto-constructed messages based on the information given to the Website; Journey Check; NRE and a couple of internal systems.

The options I chose were "Worcester Shrub Hill" "Worcester Foregate Street" "Security Alert at a station" "all lines" "blocked" and "18:30 12/Jun/2017" - the rest was filled in by the computer with no way for me to really change what it came up with. On the first message it worded it well - All lines are blocked between.... due to.... disruption expected until...

It was only when the incident was over; and I changed "blocked" to "have reopened"; for some reason it moved the Reason to the front, which changed the meaning of the message slightly. It's been raised with NexusAlpha, the company behind Tyrell; but the system has to cater for hundreds upon hundreds of preset reasons, anomalies occur.

Again I reiterate what I said previously - its only here on this forum that I've heard any comment about it - and now that I'm aware it happens more care will be exercised until NA give us a way around it.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR Journey Check and NRE this morning reported "animals on line" between Reading and Newbury. I notice that the species of animal never seems to be mentioned. This morning, the offending "animals" were actually swans which I always though were birds rather than animals. Not trying to be pedantic but just mentioning a point more out of amusement than anything else. :lol::lol:

mirodo

A bird *is* an animal.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Clade: Ornithurae
Class: Aves

Parallel

Established Member
GWR currently reporting a broken down train at Looe. If a 153 fails on the line, can it be rescued? Obviously 2x153 are not cleared for the line so would a 150 be able to rescue it? JC reports that fitters from Plymouth are travelling to Looe to try and rectify the problem. (With road transport operating)

A diagram between Truro and Falmouth is formed of 1x153 instead of 2. So I assume they may have taken one to replace the failed one on the branch.

Frontera2

Indeed! Unfortunately Tyrell isn't a free text system (at least not for the kind of message with the iffy wording)

The messages are generated when we in control create a "Line Problem" in Tyrell. We're presented with a series of drop downs - locations between; estimate for reopening; reason for delay; status of line and so on. There are some free-text fields but the core message is generated.

These are then taken by Tyrell which posts auto-constructed messages based on the information given to the Website; Journey Check; NRE and a couple of internal systems.

The options I chose were "Worcester Shrub Hill" "Worcester Foregate Street" "Security Alert at a station" "all lines" "blocked" and "18:30 12/Jun/2017" - the rest was filled in by the computer with no way for me to really change what it came up with. On the first message it worded it well - All lines are blocked between.... due to.... disruption expected until...

It was only when the incident was over; and I changed "blocked" to "have reopened"; for some reason it moved the Reason to the front, which changed the meaning of the message slightly. It's been raised with NexusAlpha, the company behind Tyrell; but the system has to cater for hundreds upon hundreds of preset reasons, anomalies occur.

Again I reiterate what I said previously - its only here on this forum that I've heard any comment about it - and now that I'm aware it happens more care will be exercised until NA give us a way around it.

Or follow our lead and ditch JourneyCheck altogether, gives much more flexibility ;)

infobleep

Veteran Member

That is fascinating. Thank you for explaining how it works.

Veteran Member
A bird *is* an animal.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Clade: Ornithurae
Class: Aves

And imagine the comments if they had put "birds on the line." :D

Resisting the temptation to continue.....

Seriously, thanks echoed to JN114

infobleep

Veteran Member
Journey check on South West Trains are saying:
08:53 London Waterloo to Alton due 10:10 will call additionally at Earlsfield, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, New Malden and Berrylands.
Will be formed of 8 coaches instead of 12 from Woking.
This is due to an earlier broken down trai

It's great that they are doing this but all the other trains stopping at Raynes Park, New Malden and Berrylands around that time and heading south were not cancelled or heavily delayed.

There was some stops cancelled from an 8.50 to Woking but doesn't call at those three stations. So it seems odd.

As it is the Alton train left Berrylands at 9.26, running 18 minutes late. The 9.30 to Hampton Court left just 5 minutes later, running 1 minute late.

The 9.36 to Hampton Court left 7 minutes late due to a train fault so had its stops cancelled to Surbtion but so far no other train is making additional calls to cover places at Berrylands. Yet earlier they had an extra train to usual.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
ATW Journey Check tonight showing that for tomorrow the midday Fishguard Boats will turn round at Whitland and that Maesteg services for much of the day will turn round at Tondu due to speed restrictions imposed by network Rail due to anticipated high rail temperatures. Bustitution in place.

Parallel

Established Member
GWR JC: 1 x 153 reported working Portsmouth - Cardiff service earlier (from Westbury, was cancelled between Portsmouth and Westbury). Things must be bad at the moment.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR JC: 1 x 153 reported working Portsmouth - Cardiff service earlier (from Westbury, was cancelled between Portsmouth and Westbury). Things must be bad at the moment.

Not quite correct. 0600 Portsmouth Hbr to Cardiff ran through as 2 Car (Journey Check stated this when I looked at it) It is booked to attach a 153 between Westbury and Bristol. 0859 Brighton to Great Malvern starting Westbury due train fault. The 3 x 158/9s that stable at Fratton overnight were disguised as 150202, 150001 and 150122.
As the OP of this thread, I actually started it to discuss some of the strange and difficult to understand reasons put forward on Journey Check rather than to discuss individual cases.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Some confusion arose on Saturday, similar entry today, re GWR Journey Check. As has been discussed on the Forum, Class 153s are barred from Platform 3 at Salisbury and if a 153 has to substitute for another class the trains have to run as Class 9s to serve as a "reminder" to signallers. The 1111 Westbury to Southampton and return 1227 Southampton to Great Malvern has on a number of recent occasions fallen into this category. GWR have to create another schedule but this shows in the public domain, Journey Check, Station boards for example. The services show up as Cancellations in that particular section and as additional services in the "Train Service Alterations" of Journey Check word for word in each. On Saturday, somebody spotted the cancellation and were asking GWR Twitter for information in regard to alternative travel arrangements. I haven't had the opportunity to check if the "replacements" show up on Station Boards as yet as I can only do it currently.

Established Member
Some confusion arose on Saturday, similar entry today, re GWR Journey Check. As has been discussed on the Forum, Class 153s are barred from Platform 3 at Salisbury and if a 153 has to substitute for another class the trains have to run as Class 9s to serve as a "reminder" to signallers. The 1111 Westbury to Southampton and return 1227 Southampton to Great Malvern has on a number of recent occasions fallen into this category. GWR have to create another schedule but this shows in the public domain, Journey Check, Station boards for example. The services show up as Cancellations in that particular section and as additional services in the "Train Service Alterations" of Journey Check word for word in each. On Saturday, somebody spotted the cancellation and were asking GWR Twitter for information in regard to alternative travel arrangements. I haven't had the opportunity to check if the "replacements" show up on Station Boards as yet as I can only do it currently.

They do. Same as when one of ours is Caped and Re started at New St as a 1Z**

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I haven't had the opportunity to check if the "replacements" show up on Station Boards as yet as I can only do it currently.

They do. Same as when one of ours is Caped and Re started at New St as a 1Z**

Journey Check is harder, but I'm told that the information can be easily amended so that a Cancellation and an Additional service do not show in apps and on station boards.

TheManBehind

Journey Check is harder, but I'm told that the information can be easily amended so that a Cancellation and an Additional service do not show in apps and on station boards.

Quite - just don't send it to Journeycheck, or just deal with it directly through CIS/Darwin Admin Tool - for the customer, there is no change in journey after all!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Have had a case to check this morning of a GWR train cancelled and a Class 9 additional in lieu due to being 153 worked through Salisbury. 0825 Southampton to Great Malvern has 1 entry shown on Board at Trowbridge as "9M97 Southampton to Great Malvern".

trainophile

Established Member
Why do some short formed Arriva trains not make it onto the Train Formation Updates list on ATW's Journey Check page?

I'm on the 1434 Holyhead-Cardiff train, a rammed 2-coaches, and the first thing the TM did after we all crammed on at Chester was apologise for the overcrowding and say that this service is normally three coaches.

People with an open ticket might have decided to take a different route if they had known beforehand. Especially as it's highly likely to be busy at this time on a Friday.

What's the point of giving train formation updates if it is hit or miss whether it has the correct information?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Why do some short formed Arriva trains not make it onto the Train Formation Updates list on ATW's Journey Check page?

I'm on the 1434 Holyhead-Cardiff train, a rammed 2-coaches, and the first thing the TM did after we all crammed on at Chester was apologise for the overcrowding and say that this service is normally three coaches.

People with an open ticket might have decided to take a different route if they had known beforehand. Especially as it's highly likely to be busy at this time on a Friday.

What's the point of giving train formation updates if it is hit or miss whether it has the correct information?

I keep Tweeting them but the twuitter team never seems to be able to provide an answer themselves but say they will pass it on to the Info Team but nothing happens. Sometimes they say it happens at such short notice that it doesn't get processed. So, I sais that if a train from Cardiff to Manchester may be short formed at very short notice, the return working from Manchester wouldn't be short notice.

trainophile

Established Member
And another thing... at least once a week ATW's Journey Check page informs, under Station Updates, that Hereford station will be single staffed for the rest of the day. I've never seen this given for any other station.

I cannot think of any purpose in publishing this. It isn't going to change prospective passengers' plans, unless they allow a bit more time to buy their ticket (but there is a TVM at the station), and if anything could even put the solitary staff member at risk.

Parallel

Established Member
And another thing... at least once a week ATW's Journey Check page informs, under Station Updates, that Hereford station will be single staffed for the rest of the day. I've never seen this given for any other station.

I cannot think of any purpose in publishing this. It isn't going to change prospective passengers' plans, unless they allow a bit more time to buy their ticket (but there is a TVM at the station), and if anything could even put the solitary staff member at risk.

ATW do occasionally publish the same note for Cheltenham Spa too (despite that being a GWR station and GWR don't refer to it at all)
Other times on ATW's page, they usually refer to 'reduced staffing' at various stations, rather than 'single staffed'

Welshman

Established Member

I cannot think of any purpose in publishing this. It isn't going to change prospective passengers' plans, unless they allow a bit more time to buy their ticket (but there is a TVM at the station), and if anything could put the solitary staff member at risk.

Occasionally, some items which seem to be more intended for internal use stray on to this page. For example, we sometimes see names of coach companies supplying rail-replacement vehicles [and their number] when a train is cancelled.

Could this notice be intended to inform conductors of approaching trains of the situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.