• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey Check Reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Occasionally, some items which seem to be more intended for internal use stray on to this page. For example, we sometimes see names of coach companies supplying rail-replacement vehicles [and their number] when a train is cancelled.

Could this notice be intended to inform conductors of approaching trains of the situation?

I have been through Hereford to collect tickets during so-called "single staff" periods, and quite often two ticket desks are manned. Also there is usually someone either on the gates or in the little platform office.

As regards the RRBs, I can see a purpose in that, as detrained passengers will know whose buses to look for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR 1227 Southampton to Great Malvern regularly worked by 153 instead of 150 but due to platform problem at Salisbury and unable to use Platform 3 (Documented earlier) has to be amended to run as a Class 9 is still showing in Journey Check as a cancellation and an additional train in lieu. This is the internal process that has to be carried out to deal with it but I have complained to GWR several times that showing the info in the public domain (CIS also on occasions) only serves to confuse the passenger when there is no difference as they are concerned. GWR Twitter, although only the Messenger not to be shot, say it can't be helped because it is automatically fed through to Journey Check.

Established Member
Occasionally, some items which seem to be more intended for internal use stray on to this page. For example, we sometimes see names of coach companies supplying rail-replacement vehicles [and their number] when a train is cancelled.

Could this notice be intended to inform conductors of approaching trains of the situation?

It is exactly this.

Established Member
I have been through Hereford to collect tickets during so-called "single staff" periods, and quite often two ticket desks are manned. Also there is usually someone either on the gates or in the little platform office.

As regards the RRBs, I can see a purpose in that, as detrained passengers will know whose buses to look for.
Single staffed in this context refers to Dispatch staff and is mainly for internal use.

Established Member
GWR 1227 Southampton to Great Malvern regularly worked by 153 instead of 150 but due to platform problem at Salisbury and unable to use Platform 3 (Documented earlier) has to be amended to run as a Class 9 is still showing in Journey Check as a cancellation and an additional train in lieu. This is the internal process that has to be carried out to deal with it but I have complained to GWR several times that showing the info in the public domain (CIS also on occasions) only serves to confuse the passenger when there is no difference as they are concerned. GWR Twitter, although only the Messenger not to be shot, say it can't be helped because it is automatically fed through to Journey Check.

It happens a lot on the GWR CIS but it has to be manually changed and if there is other disruption it is at the bottom of the list of priorities.

craigybagel

Established Member
Single staffed in this context refers to Dispatch staff and is mainly for internal use.
Indeed it does - although the dispatchers at Hereford don't actually dispatch trains any more, they're still very useful for other purposes and it's important for staff to know what their availability is.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
1W45 1342 Cardiff Cen to Manchester Picc today is being diverted due to PHBT at Levenshulme but Journey Check says expected to be delayed by 720 minutes. Must be going via Inverness rather than via Styal !!!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
1W45 1342 Cardiff Cen to Manchester Picc today is being diverted due to PHBT at Levenshulme but Journey Check says expected to be delayed by 720 minutes. Must be going via Inverness rather than via Styal !!!

Recovered 715 minutes:D

bussnapperwm

Established Member

Either Inverness or a trip round the entire Arriva trains Wales network

JN114

Established Member
Journey Check is the customer-facing end of a very powerful piece of software. But like all such systems it is only as good as the information that is put into it.

Nothing that appears in there goes in “automatically” - if it appears in JC then someone has put the information into Tyrell and told Tyrell they want it advertised externally (although as previously discussed either through force of habit or other such oversights they may not consciously intend for it to be external).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Journey Check is the customer-facing end of a very powerful piece of software. But like all such systems it is only as good as the information that is put into it.

Nothing that appears in there goes in “automatically” - if it appears in JC then someone has put the information into Tyrell and told Tyrell they want it advertised externally (although as previously discussed either through force of habit or other such oversights they may not consciously intend for it to be external).

Re Post #122, GWR have done this again today.

Loop & Link

And?...

Previous train cancelled due to a fault, next train calls additionally at the stations missed earlier.

So root cause is a train fault (or fault on this train) which Tyrell lists the reason as.

trainophile

Established Member
And?...

Previous train cancelled due to a fault, next train calls additionally at the stations missed earlier.

So root cause is a train fault (or fault on this train) which Tyrell lists the reason as.

I would agree except that the explanation is "due to a fault on this train". Perhaps they meant a previous one and worded it badly.

Loop & Link

That’s the wording you can only really choose on Tyrell/JourneyCheck, the reasons aren’t free text.

There is “a fault on a train in front of this one” but that might confuse things as it could mean the VT in front had a fault which it didn’t. Or there’s a “Due to this train making extra stops because a train was cancelled” but when your under pressure got a million things going on you aren’t going to scroll through every reason. When you have a reason the covers the root cause.

You can create your own reasons but JourneyCheck/Tyrell will only show the official reason not the reason you’ve entered.

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
Got to tick off a new reason in Journey Check today - Overcrowding due to a Football Match

Loop & Link

Used that one loads!

Probably a few on that reason list that I’ll never use!

Interestingly do you know why we can’t use “Due to a delay on a previous journey” anymore? It disappeared from our official reasons on Tyrell, is there a contact for resetting some reasons up, we had to recreate it, but if you went on NRE for example to look why it was cancelled the reason would be blank because there’s no “official” reason.

JN114

Established Member
Used that one loads!

Interestingly do you know why we can’t use “Due to a delay on a previous journey” anymore? It disappeared from our official reasons on Tyrell, is there a contact for resetting some reasons up, we had to recreate it, but if you went on NRE for example to look why it was cancelled the reason would be blank because there’s no “official” reason.

It is a bit like Bingo...

There is a contact; but I can’t recall it off the top of my head. The list we (GWR) have at the moment is the list given to us by ATOC.

Parallel

Established Member
From Arriva TW's page:

22:15 Maesteg to Gloucester due 00:40

22:15 Maesteg to Gloucester due 00:40 will be terminated at Chepstow.
It will no longer call at Lydney and Gloucester.
It will be delayed at Caldicot.
This is due to a fault on this train.

Do ATW have their crystal ball out? :D

Dai Corner

Established Member
From Arriva TW's page:

Maybe it's got a fuel leak and they've estimated that allowing for that there's just enough to get to Chepstow and back to the depot before it's empty? :D

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
From Arriva TW's page:

Although I know the reason, I tweeted ATW to point it out and they confirmed what had happened. It was last night's train but because it runs past midnight into the next day it got carried through and not spotted.

Frontera2

Used that one loads!

The reason this reason was withdrawn / not included in the new list is because it's not a "root cause" - the view from the industry group that created these reasons & Transport Focus, was that the reasons should be clearer about the true reason for the delay.

Frontera2

As a user of Tyrell (and it's predecessor, the "Travel Terminal") I would argue that it's not "very powerful" and is past its sell-by-date

Loop & Link

The reason this reason was withdrawn / not included in the new list is because it's not a "root cause" - the view from the industry group that created these reasons & Transport Focus, was that the reasons should be clearer about the true reason for the delay.

Cheers!

Problem is we often have services with unexplained loss in running, (these are ZZ’d it ZU’d in Trust) so there isn’t really a root cause, so we had to create our own reason, but this doesn’t show in the public domain.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Looking at ATW Journey Check this morning, states 0830 Manchester to Milford Haven calling additionally at Church Stretton, Craven Arms and Pontypool. This is due to a fault on THIS train which seems to the standard terminology. . The fault wasn't on this train but on the train it was calling in lieu of.

Loop & Link

There is a Tyrell reason - “due to this train making extra stops because a train was cancelled” or words to that effect.

Again, because there’s no free form text in the reasons, you can only put what reasons are available, the root cause is correct (sort of). I notice some TOC’s have renamed that reason to a “fault on a train” which I prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.