• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey - Greater Anglia Trainee Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieseldriver

Worth adding aswell, I'm not trying to put a downer on the job at all. I'm also not trying to scare monger. It's a great job but it also comes with a lot of responsibility which is partly why it pays so well. I can give personal examples of real examples that have happened to me where a potentially dangerous situation could have occurred had I not questioned it.
Just remember, a lot of staff acting as Pilotmen are infrequently utilised for that role and may be a bit 'rusty' and they may not have picked their own rule book up fir a little while.
And the Signaller you're talking to may only have a couple of months experience.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dieseldriver

Yes I agree it's still good practice to re-read the rules and etc keep the knowledge up there for when you need it. It just seems on a day to day basis where not much happens, all this stuff we have to memorise for assessments isn't really used. That last bit is true too.
And that's partly why the salary is 50k. For those scenarios that occur infrequently which you are expected to react to in a professional and competent manner.

Tomnick

Established Member
Yes I agree it's still good practice to re-read the rules and etc keep the knowledge up there for when you need it. It just seems on a day to day basis where not much happens, all this stuff we have to memorise for assessments isn't really used. That last bit is true too.
95% of the time, you’ll only use 5% of the rule book - or something like that. The problem is that you probably won’t know when you’re going to need the rest until it all kicks off and you’re in the middle of the moment - that’s when you earn the money, and when you can get it very wrong indeed if you’re not on top of your knowledge.

Gooner18

So as a driver can you point blank refuse to do what a pilot man or signaller tells you to do ? I presume a yes as you’re responsible for that train and safety comes above everything else.
If of course it breaks rules and you know what they are telling you is not correct

Dieseldriver

So as a driver can you point blank refuse to do what a pilot man or signaller tells you to do ? I presume a yes as you’re responsible for that train and safety comes above everything else.
If of course it breaks rules and you know what they are telling you is not correct
Yes. If they give you incorrect instructions (which does happen)

Gooner18

Yes. If they give you incorrect instructions (which does happen)

I see, for example you would say I can not do that as that’s incorrect ( ref what ever rule ) or you can’t divert me that way as I have not been signed off for that route etc ?
If so , would you instruct the signaller that you’re still at signal YE1226 etc

Shunter_69

400?! Where have you heard that? Lol. If it is I should hope that was multiple choice.

I’ve heard module 2 is the hardest...again anyone to confirm?

The 400 question test is one you do with your driver manager (and is verbal) after completing your driving under instruction and are ready to be let loose on your own. Your DM will ask you loads of questions but the answer you give to one question will cover quite a few so you shouldn’t get asked them all.

Just keep focusing on what you are being taught for the time being as it sounds like it’s going well and you still have a fair way to go yet.

There is quite a lot of repetition in the rules part of the training at GA so you should find it sinks in quite well.

Good luck with the rest of the course

OneLowban

The 400 question test is one you do with your driver manager (and is verbal) after completing your driving under instruction and are ready to be let loose on your own. Your DM will ask you loads of questions but the answer you give to one question will cover quite a few so you shouldn’t get asked them all.

Just keep focusing on what you are being taught for the time being as it sounds like it’s going well and you still have a fair way to go yet.

There is quite a lot of repetition in the rules part of the training at GA so you should find it sinks in quite well.

Good luck with the rest of the course
Thanks for clearing that up, doesn’t sound too bad.

Yeah they have said the rules are repeated in a kind of layered way so they sink in, seems to be working well.

Thanks!

Any idea what the pass mark is for the weekly assessments at GA?
It’s been 85% I think so far.

Gooner18

With regards to the written answers , do they have to be word for word , I.e with the 16 situations you can go through a red , do you have to write down it exactly who it is written in the rule book , or can you write a brief explanation?
I suspect it’s the first rather than latter?

OneLowban

We were allowed to write it any way, as long as it showed we actually understood the reasoning for each.

Although we were told to be as descriptive as possible as we didn’t know how many marks were given for each question.

Then when I had the feedback after the results I was told I got 99% partly due to the description I gave in my answers. (Positive)

Oggs

Good to hear how its progressing for you OneLowban. Can I ask if your training is still taking place at Stratford? Also what is the shift pattern/ days that you've been doing? It just gives me more insight for my training next year. Cheers

OneLowban

Good to hear how its progressing for you OneLowban. Can I ask if your training is still taking place at Stratford? Also what is the shift pattern/ days that you've been doing? It just gives me more insight for my training next year. Cheers
I do apologise I comepltely didn’t see this post earlier!

It’s still at Stratford yes. At the moment we are doing 9:30am to on average 3pm depending on how the day progresses and what topics are covered.

Monday - Friday at the moment, that will change when we start our driving hours.

Are you going to be mainline or depot driver though? As we used to see the depot course everyday but they seem to have taken a different route to us now and haven’t see them for a while.

Gooner18

It’s still at Stratford yes. At the moment we are doing 9:30am to on average 3pm depending on how the day progresses and what topics are covered.

Monday - Friday at the moment, that will change when we start our driving hours.

Are you going to be mainline or depot driver though? As we used to see the depot course everyday but they seem to have taken a different route to us now and haven’t see them for a while.

That’s strange , I thought depot drivers have to do the same course ( minus routes knowledge of course )

OneLowban

That’s strange , I thought depot drivers have to do the same course ( minus routes knowledge of course )
I thought that at first but when you think about the actual topics, they are mostly mainline rules so far that a depot driver would never come across I guess.

lammergeier

There was a nasty spad a few years back where a driver was instructed to ignore a particular ground position light by a pilotman. The instruction was incorrect and the driver even queried it as it wasn't on the ticket and he knew it protected a junction, but the pilotman was adamant it was to be ignored. Of course, it should have been stopped at as it was the exit signal and the driver was stung with a serious Cat A.

So never, ever be afraid to double check with anyone who gives you an instruction and if it doesn't seem right, trust your instinct and don't do it.

Gooner18

I thought that at first but when you think about the actual topics, they are mostly mainline rules so far that a depot driver would never come across I guess.

That’s true , they must still be there but maybe moved to a different class room, doing the rules applicable to them ?

There was a nasty spad a few years back where a driver was instructed to ignore a particular ground position light by a pilotman. The instruction was incorrect and the driver even queried it as it wasn't on the ticket and he knew it protected a junction, but the pilotman was adamant it was to be ignored. Of course, it should have been stopped at as it was the exit signal and the driver was stung with a serious Cat A.

So never, ever be afraid to double check with anyone who gives you an instruction and if it doesn't seem right, trust your instinct and don't do it.

100% safety comes above everything, no one will ever blame a driver for checking.

OneLowban

That’s true , they must still be there but maybe moved to a different class room, doing the rules applicable to them ?
All the classes are glass walled so we would usually see them or in the break area but haven’t seen anyone at all around, could well be doing traction already at the depots. We are due to start traction in 3 weeks so not far off.

Gooner18

All the classes are glass walled so we would usually see them or in the break area but haven’t seen anyone at all around, could well be doing traction already at the depots. We are due to start traction in 3 weeks so not far off.

Ahh yes possibly, is traction all done at the depots , or do you come back for theory ?

OneLowban

Ahh yes possibly, is traction all done at the depots , or do you come back for theory ?
I’m not sure to be honest, I guess I’ll find out in the next couple of weeks but I’m sure someone else on here can tell us. 8-)

Dieseldriver

Not to mention the numerous occasions I personally know of (in my little part of the network, let alone nationwide) where points have been set incorrectly during degraded working. It's not just about approaching them at 15mph, the key thing is approaching them at a slow enough speed that enables you to visually check they're set correctly and safely stop before them if they are not.

Oggs

No apology needed the post was waiting for approval for some reason.
I'm going mainline.
Counting down the days!!!

OneLowban

Hope training is treating you well! I was at the academy today learning the new Stadler Units. Will be there tomorrow and Wednesday too.
It is going well thanks mate!

Oh really? In the sims? We were told they weren’t ready still today. Nice either way the new units look great.

I will be the only person with the ancient black GA jacket if you see me. :smile: (found in a cupboard at Cambridge)

Status
Not open for further replies.