• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey - Greater Anglia Trainee Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OneLowban

Have you guys still not received your kit?
We did our uniform forms before starting but nearly all of the mainline hardly got anything, mostly depot driver uniforms.

However last week we resubmitted by email and starting to receive the uniform now.

OneLowban

Upddate!

This week we did mainly Working of Single Lines (not to be confused with Sinlge Line Working) and Defective on Train equipment (restrictions that apply etc).

Also recapped some stuff from the weeks before.

Then on Wednesday we had the second and final module 2 assessment which was based on everything since day 1.

I passed with 95%, slightly annoying because I didn't not 'know' anything, I just didn't fully answer or there was some confusion as to how the question was worded, never mind it was a pass all the same. :smile:

Thursday we went down to Clacton-on-Sea depot to see some of the older semaphore signalling etc, was interesting to see.

All in all happy with the way everything is going. We have a week of front end turns next week, then the week after that we start traction! :smile:

BallastMonkey

Well done and congratulations! Amazing how quick its going!

Im guessing defective on train equipment was just a brief introduction and more will be covered in the traction course?

OneLowban

Well done and congratulations! Amazing how quick its going!

Im guessing defective on train equipment was just a brief introduction and more will be covered in the traction course?
Thank you! Indeed it is going quick.

That’s right yeah, few questions on restrictions if xyz was isolated or defective etc. Then on traction we learn the practical side and probably a bit more in module 4.

CC 72100

Established Member
Upddate!

This week we did mainly Working of Single Lines (not to be confused with Single Line Working) and Defective on Train equipment (restrictions that apply etc).

Definitely keep your Pilotman working of Single and Bi-Di lines (3156) and Modified working (3177) separate from your SLW by Pilotman (3193)- these two subjects and information on each of them was a source of much confusion during my course!

Niek88

Very informative. Looking forward to starting this journey. Thanks OneLowBan.

OneLowban

Definitely keep your Pilotman working of Single and Bi-Di lines (3156) and Modified working (3177) separate from your SLW by Pilotman (3193)- these two subjects and information on each of them was a source of much confusion during my course!
Lol I don’t doubt it!

Very informative. Looking forward to starting this journey. Thanks OneLowBan.
No problem hope the thread is coming across as you would expect.

When are you starting?

OneLowban

Update...kinda.

Front end turns, nothing to see here. <D

On a brighter note I am looking forward to starting traction on Monday! Down to Ilford for some Class 317s I think!

OneLowban

Update!

This week we started our Traction course at Ilford Depot, learning about the Class 317 Mark 1 & 2, absolutely bags of information here. The week mostly consisted of being in a classroom in the mornings and after lunch going out onto a unit to visualise in person what we had learned.

Over the week we learned about the air system, the electrical system, suspension system and everything in between: pantgraph, transformer, wire 13, fault panel(s) inside the train, VCB, braking system, compressor reservoirs underneath the train, isolation levers, coupling pipes, auxiliary compressor etc along with what happens when they go wrong etc.

I must say, at times in the classroom I almost felt like I was on an engineering course! However I do realise the importance of knowing what to do when in need or asked to by the actual engineers to get the train moving again as soon as (if) possible.

Going out onto the train and putting into practice what we have learned really does help cement the knowledge and makes a lot more sense!

Very enjoyable learning experience as it's more practical, I believe for the 3 weeks left of traction we will be out on the trains for almost all of it.

OneLowban

Thanks for the update... sounds demanding but interesting at the same time
It is demanding, but the training has been very good and indeed very interesting. At the end of the day it is all very worth it.

Have you finished your rules then?
Module 4 (after traction) is back to rules, but more in depth with things such as level crossings etc, for 2 weeks.

Sounds very exciting!
It is indeed!

4F89

2 weeks of h&s, 2 weeks of front end, then rules, then traction

OneLowban

Update! I did start writing this earlier on but got distracted, my bad.

This week was 100% on the units, 317s. Very much learning the preperation of a train and a bit of fault finding, putting all of the classroom learning into full practice really.

Isolating/draining brakes, suspension, door systems, locking doors out manually, pulling passcoms and resetting, putting the pantograph up/down, MCBs, cutting the unit in/out. Then we fully prepared a train alone and also did some fault finding in pairs which was good fun.

Looking forward to this week, we are doing coupling and uncoupling!

BallastMonkey

Nice one! How long does it take to actually take to fully prepare a train from scratch? And what depot does this practical stuff happen at?

OneLowban

Nice one! How long does it take to actually take to fully prepare a train from scratch? And what depot does this practical stuff happen at?
The West we get 20, 25 and 30 minutes for a 4, 8 and 12 car respectively. Although I think the East have 5 mins less which can be done. (an old agreement apparently)

We have been doing most of the practical stuff at Ilford however today and tomorrow we are at Southend Vic. (More space/trains and less movement going on as it’s not a maintainence yard)

Gooner18

Hope training is treating you well! I was at the academy today learning the new Stadler Units. Will be there tomorrow and Wednesday too.

Your user name rings a bell , I seem to remember DRA is something you set once you pull up at a station , stops you pulling off unexpectedly, or maybe you have to reset it to apply power to pull off ?
Can’t remember as it was when I thought it would be a good idea to read ahead lol

Status
Not open for further replies.