• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey - Greater Anglia Trainee Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I applied back last year for GA, around march. I was surprised to hear back in November, and be invited for an assessment.
I took the stage 1 assessment and passed it, and i was told on the day the second stage would follow in a few weeks.
Now in march, a second stage hasn't happened, am i wrong to chase it? or is it normally this slow?

Thanks

OneLowban

I applied back last year for GA, around march. I was surprised to hear back in November, and be invited for an assessment.
I took the stage 1 assessment and passed it, and i was told on the day the second stage would follow in a few weeks.
Now in march, a second stage hasn't happened, am i wrong to chase it? or is it normally this slow?

Thanks
Did you do the assessments in November?

I don’t think it’s wrong to chase it to see what’s happening. I know there has been a few changes in HR recently which may be the cause but to be honest I didn’t do my assessments with GA so I’m not sure on how fast/slow the process is.

Did you do the assessments in November?

I don’t think it’s wrong to chase it to see what’s happening. I know there has been a few changes in HR recently which may be the cause but to be honest I didn’t do my assessments with GA so I’m not sure on how fast/slow the process is.

Yeah i took the assessments in November, and was told on the day, i had passed.

I have emailed them a few times, and no reply from them?

Arthurjack

Good luck to all. I’m practising sjts, ready for when recruitment starts again with ga. also using the various other tests

OneLowban

Little update as it’s been a while!

As of today I am on 82 hours with 11 dark hours, going quick!

I can more or less do all of the routes bar Stortford - Cambridge alone now, not much Cambridge work at Stortford. It’s crazy how much of the route you can remember as you go along.

Hardest part is probably stopping the trains, an 8 car 317 is not always the same 8 car 317! (goes for any traction)

Loving it though, would recommend it to anybody.

Timpg

I can more or less do all of the routes bar Stortford - Cambridge alone now, not much Cambridge work at Stortford. It’s crazy how much of the route you can remember as you go along.

Hardest part is probably stopping the trains, an 8 car 317 is not always the same 8 car 317! (goes for any traction)

Loving it though, would recommend it to anybody.

So out of curiosity, how many hours do you have to do to pass out as qualified? 12 odd months training does sound like it’ll take forever. But everyone I’ve spoken to say it seems to go so quick lol!!

OneLowban

So out of curiosity, how many hours do you have to do to pass out as qualified? 12 odd months training does sound like it’ll take forever. But everyone I’ve spoken to say it seems to go so quick lol!!
225 hours minimum.

Can confirm it goes very quick! Mine is set to last about 10 months.

OneLowban

Ah right cool. They make them do 250 at my FOC. So your looking to be qualified probably just after summer?
Yeah it all depends on traction I think. GA Norwich drivers have to do 285 as they have diesels etc.

Yeah sort of during I think, July/August time. All depends on jobs given etc. i.e. spare = +0 hours.

Just enjoying the training still though as they say that’s the best part of any job lol.

Firestarter

. It’s crazy how much of the route you can remember as you go along.

How do you learn the speeds and braking points in the pitch black? Or do you just develop a sense of where you are?

OneLowban

How do you learn the speeds and braking points in the pitch black? Or do you just develop a sense of where you are?
At first it is hard, but yes as you learn the track, bends, signals, speed boards, all these things on the track along with buildings, lights, chimneys, bridges, list goes on, they all help to determine where you are and your braking point.

For example there’s a station with a massive chimney to the left, then a bridge you go under, then there’s an AWS magnet, then the signal, then I know my braking point is the TPWS loops on the floor that comes next, things like that.

Another one there is a massive row of houses on the right in the distance with lights, when I come to the end of that I know that signal is my braking point.

It really comes easier than it sounds. (I was worried about all of this too)

That is of course you don’t get cautionary signals and it messes up your whole braking point lol. :o Same with speeds you just learn where they are, as with neutral sections.

Timpg

At first it is hard, but yes as you learn the track, bends, signals, speed boards, all these things on the track along with buildings, lights, chimneys, bridges, list goes on, they all help to determine where you are and your braking point.

For example there’s a station with a massive chimney to the left, then a bridge you go under, then there’s an AWS magnet, then the signal, then I know my braking point is the TPWS loops on the floor that comes next, things like that.

Another one there is a massive row of houses on the right in the distance with lights, when I come to the end of that I know that signal is my braking point.

It really comes easier than it sounds. (I was worried about all of this too)

That is of course you don’t get cautionary signals and it messes up your whole braking point lol. :o Same with speeds you just learn where they are, as with neutral sections.

I have to say, reading through your journal. The training provided by greater anglia sounds great. Seems very structured.

OneLowban

I have to say, reading through your journal. The training provided by greater anglia sounds great. Seems very structured.
Of course I haven’t experienced training with another TOC, but it has been great training at GA. No negatives and would recommend it to anyone looking to become a driver.

OneLowban

Cheers! Update,

I had my 50-80hr review yesterday, all went well. Did one round of Stortford - Stratford. The assessor said keep doing what I’m doing as he didn’t have to say anything to me, was mostly talking to my DI the whole time whilst observing.

Roll on to the next one!

Status
Not open for further replies.