• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey Planner Missing Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

packermac

I have noticed that both NRE and the TOC sites seem to omit various services at times.
As an example if I am unable to collect my wife from Gatwick on March 24th (chance I could of course be in self isolation) she may just miss the 1709 to Southampton Central and then on to Wareham, yet the journey planners do not show the 1809 at all unless you enter Southampton Central as the final destination. The next train they show valid for an off peak single is the 1909, yet it will offer off peak to Southampton on the 1809 and the onward 1921 connection to Wareham if purchased as two tickets. It will of course offer anytime fares between the 1709 and 1909 (with changes) at considerably higher fare.
I have also noticing this happening at random times when I use this route in the opposite direction to go Wareham to East Croydon.
I assume as it is offered to Southampton as a valid off peak service then an off peak single would be valid all the way to Wareham on the 1809?
However with some of the ticketing horror stories on here welcome some advice in case she needs to return by train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
The journey planners will only show the fastest option by default. The 1809 from Gatwick would get to Wareham at 2125 (changing at Southampton). However if you caught the 1833 from Gatwick via Clapham Junction this would also get to Wareham at 2125, so the 1809 isn't shown.

If you want to force it to show the 1809, put in "via Havant" or something similar.

kieron

Established Member
Some of the web sites offer a way to check if you can have a longer, cheaper journey. On nre.co.uk, for example, you would click on the "Other cheap fares" link and then on "cheapest fare finder" to get there. Anything like this should find the 18:09 from Gatwick, as it's just a single change using a "via Barnham" fare.

packermac

The journey planners will only show the fastest option by default. The 1809 from Gatwick would get to Wareham at 2125 (changing at Southampton). However if you caught the 1833 from Gatwick via Clapham Junction this would also get to Wareham at 2125, so the 1809 isn't shown.

If you want to force it to show the 1809, put in "via Havant" or something similar.
Thanks guys I do appreciate the via Barnham, but I have had it exclude trains when using that as well.
In my example above it ignores the 1739 to Southampton connecting with a 2046 arrival at Wareham by suggesting a 3 change same arrival via CJ also on 1739 at the much higher fare. Seems to always drive you to a higher fare and perhaps in this instance greater chance of delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.