• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Journey question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisg

Hi,

Next weekend (Saturday 22nd March) me and my girlfriend need to travel from London to Southampton Central and a few hours later travel from Southampton Central to Worthing. The next day (the Sunday) we need to travel from Worthing back up to London again. Am I right in thinking that a Saver Return from London to Southampton Central would cover all those journeys? My logic was that the outward journey is completed in one go and the journeys from Southampton Central to Worthing and Worthing to London would be covered by the return portion of the ticket, as the stop over at Worthing is just a journey break as permitted. There are two ways of getting from Southampton to London, one is via SWT and goes to Waterloo and the other is via Southern that goes to Victoria.

Anyone able to confirm that my logic is correct? Would also be great if anyone could fill me in on what kind of train the journey from Waterloo to Southampton would be on.

Thanks for your help!

Chris.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chrisg

That's what I was thinking. :)

Nice to have a straightforward journey, spending 30 minutes stuck in the vestibule of an NXEC Mk 3 carriage between Doncaster and York last weekend was anything but relaxing....

me123

Established Member
Saver return is he cheapest option, at £33.20 a head Standard Class, no discounts. The journey you plan to make is definately possible and legal with this ticket to the best of my knowledge, but we shall await Yorkie's professional verdict ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's what I was thinking. :)

Nice to have a straightforward journey, spending 30 minutes stuck in the vestibule of an NXEC Mk 3 carriage between Doncaster and York last weekend was anything but relaxing....
York-Donny should be straightforward. This journey normally takes 20 minutes and of course if you just turn up at busy times a seat cannot be guaranteed. If you're concerned for a seat I'd definitely reserve one for London-Southampton as it's a lot longer to stand if the train is very busy.

And yes, a ticket to Southampton (or beyond) is valid via all sorts of routes, in addition to the obvious direct route, for example via Reading, or via Petersfield, or via Horsham, and - importantly for you - via Haywards Heath.

Status
Not open for further replies.