• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jubilee Cities Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Personally I think the last place to be announced that was deserving of City status was Brighton. They all now seem to be suited to the category of either large town or very historic town.

VTPreston_Tez

Oh dear. Perth I understand and Chelmsford yeah, but St Asaph...what the heck? Why? Sure it's religious but we have Reading and Middlesborough which are much better contenders!
(Also I'm annoyed that Preston isn't the newest city anymore)

Ivo

Established Member
Personally I think the last place to be announced that was deserving of City status was Brighton. They all now seem to be suited to the category of either large town or very historic town.

The problem though is that Brighton is strictly speaking not a city. Only the wider area of Brighton & Hove has City Status, and in this form I do not feel that the local authority does deserve City Status on acount of the weakness of the Hove part. If it applied to Brighton only I would probably agree.

P.S.: I would suggest that Inverness probably deserves City Status, as the ancient capital of the Highlands ;)

(Also I'm annoyed that Preston isn't the newest city anymore)

Big deal. It was only joint-newest as it was! Preston should never have won City Status in my opinion.

VTPreston_Tez

Big deal. It was only joint-newest as it was! Preston should never have won City Status in my opinion.

It's open to debate, but Preston is actually really big, a dedicated bus service, high-frequency trains, semi-religious, mixed-race, and at the time a top football team

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The problem though is that Brighton is strictly speaking not a city. Only the wider area of Brighton & Hove has City Status, and in this form I do not feel that the local authority does deserve City Status on acount of the weakness of the Hove part. If it applied to Brighton only I would probably agree.

I'm not sure. I think we all know who wears the trousers in the Brighton - Hove relationship (probably a pair of skintight leather trousers :lol:).

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It's open to debate, but Preston is actually really big, a dedicated bus service, high-frequency trains, semi-religious, mixed-race, and at the time a top football team

165,000~ makes it comparable with Luton, MK, Northampton, Southend, Walsall, all of which aren't cities, and still way behind Dudley and Reading.

Dedicated bus service? OK...

I suggest Preston's train frequency has something to do with it sitting on 6 separate railway lines (i.e. a major junction), and being on the busiest mainline in the country.

Preston used to be one of the most Catholic towns in Britain, and isn't too multi-cultural compared to neighbouring Blackburn or other towns around the country.

Top football team? :lol: There's about 10-15 towns with football teams above yours; Reading, Bolton, Middlesbrough and Blackburn to name but a few.

Ivo

Established Member

Individual responses:

"Really big" - Not especially; there are plenty of larger towns. Even if you include the entire Urban Area, as I have told you before the agglomeration is no larger than the Aldershot Urban Area.
"Dedicated bus service, high-frequency trains" - Reading beats you on both counts, although transport actually counts for very little.
"Semi-Religious" - As opposed to "blatantly religious", which is true of several others (including Rochester, which lost City Status)?
"Mixed-race" - What large settlement isn't these days?
"Top football team" - It's been a very long time since Preston North End were in the top flight; they have been closer since 2002 than they were then.

Blast it. Matt beat me to it.

I'm not sure. I think we all know who wears the trousers in the Brighton - Hove relationship (probably a pair of skintight leather trousers :lol:).

We do indeed - Kemp Town :p

(jk)

PR1Berske

Established Member
Of course Preston deserved to be a city (I declare an interest, of course :))

Preston is a very different place to many others in Lancashire, and the North generally. There is a great cultural hub here, very under-reported. We have internationally rewarded artists, numerous bands from across the musical spectrum including bands who still appear on BBC 6 Music today, a growing art scene and numerous regionally and nationally regarded restaurants. Our University is the fastest growing in the country.

It's fashionable to bash Preston. But you know what, it's no use, because you'll find a lot of people saying a heck of a lot of good. We're tumble down, a little messy round the edges, our buildings don't match and there's a tribute to concrete in the middle, but you know what, it's a great little place and city status is well deserved.

So there :P :)

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Chelmsford's a daft decision. Reading has far more a sense of civic pride and sense of place. So even has Colchester. Perth and Armagh both make sense, and while i don't know it at all, St Asaph at least has an historical case. Chelmsford has had a bad case of being destroyed by town planners, and even its cathedral hasn't been one for that long

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

Ivo

Established Member
Of course Preston deserved to be a city (I declare an interest, of course :))

Preston is a very different place to many others in Lancashire, and the North generally. There is a great cultural hub here, very under-reported. We have internationally rewarded artists, numerous bands from across the musical spectrum including bands who still appear on BBC 6 Music today, a growing art scene and numerous regionally and nationally regarded restaurants. Our University is the fastest growing in the country.

It's fashionable to bash Preston. But you know what, it's no use, because you'll find a lot of people saying a heck of a lot of good. We're tumble down, a little messy round the edges, our buildings don't match and there's a tribute to concrete in the middle, but you know what, it's a great little place and city status is well deserved.

So there :P :)

Anyone OUTSIDE Preston agree with this summary? Culture is important but it's not the only factor.

[Chelmsford's] cathedral hasn't been one for that long

1918 I believe ;)

Ivo

Established Member
It [Inverness] already is a city (well, since 2000).

It was in response to a post about Brighton being the last place that deserved City Status. Inverness was awarded the status at the same time and thus fits as a response, because in my opinion yorksrob should have mentioned it too ;)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I lived in Reading for a while. Didn't strike me as City material TBH.

I( lived there from 1995 to 2001, and I thought it had all the hallmarks of a city. That, of course, raises the question of how a city should be defined, and I imagine that is is rather subjective!

For me, a modern city would have to be a natural economic, industrial or administrative centre for the surrounding area. I think Reading qualifies here, as it draws many people from the surounding districts to its employment, shopping and entertainment facilities. Not that this was always the case!

Ivo

Established Member
Just a thought. According to the modern practice, doesn't the entire local authority area receive City Status (whatever said authority would be)? Assuming it was Chelmsford Borough Council that petitioned the Queen for said distinction, doesn't that mean that the likes of Howe Green, Little Waltham and Chignal St James - all small villages in the heart of Essex - are now outposts of a City?

At least "Welcome to the City of Roxwell" [another Chelmsford Borough village] sounds remotely like a city...

CarterUSM

Established Member
I think it all seems a bit pointless anyway. Who cares! You can have pride in your town/city anyway, or not, as the case may be.

Ivo

Established Member
I see no-one has as yet mentioned the winner of the separate competition for the status of Lord Mayoralty. Last time out, this was awarded to Exeter; this time, the winner was the not-so-grand city of Armagh. Care to explain this decision, Mr Clegg?

EDIT: Actually, I see he has. Armagh was chosen " in recognition of the significance of every part of the United Kingdom in the Diamond Jubilee year" (source). That isn't exactly the fairest way forward is it? England will always lose out when decisions such as this are made; at this rate, Caersws will be a City sooner than the likes of Middlesbrough...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It had to be Northern Irish AFAIK, as the city statuses went to the other three UK countries.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It was in response to a post about Brighton being the last place that deserved City Status. Inverness was awarded the status at the same time and thus fits as a response, because in my opinion yorksrob should have mentioned it too ;)

I wasn't aware that Inverness was announced at the same time, however, I'll be diplomatic and say that I assumed that it was like the first twin to emerge from the womb to leave Brighton as the last place deserving ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I( lived there from 1995 to 2001, and I thought it had all the hallmarks of a city. That, of course, raises the question of how a city should be defined, and I imagine that is is rather subjective!

For me, a modern city would have to be a natural economic, industrial or administrative centre for the surrounding area. I think Reading qualifies here, as it draws many people from the surounding districts to its employment, shopping and entertainment facilities. Not that this was always the case!

I must admit, I have an axe to grind in that I didn't get on well with it. There was a decent pub called the Hobgoblin though I seem to recall.

Eagle

Established Member
I see no-one has as yet mentioned the winner of the separate competition for the status of Lord Mayoralty. Last time out, this was awarded to Exeter; this time, the winner was the not-so-grand city of Armagh. Care to explain this decision, Mr Clegg?

Well, Armagh is the only traditional city in Northern Ireland (being as only Protestant cathedrals were counted, apparently—Birmingham Catholic Cathedral dates to the 18th century, for instance).

Ivo

Established Member
Well, Armagh is the only traditional city in Northern Ireland (being as only Protestant cathedrals were counted, apparently—Birmingham Catholic Cathedral dates to the 18th century, for instance).

Considering that whilst Armagh was once a city, its status had lapsed - and it was only reapplied in 1994? (The same is true of St David's.) Religion shouldn't be a factor at all in my opinion; by contrast, were Coleraine and Craigavon ever likely to win City Status? (Although, if Newry can, who's to say...?)

Here is a list of cities that applied:

Armagh
Cambridge
Derby
Gloucester
Lancaster
Newport (Gwent)
Peterborough
Salford
Southampton
St Albans
Sunderland
Wakefield

To me, at least three - Cambridge, Lancaster and St Albans - should come ahead of it. I half expected Bath to win, but er... the council didn't bother. D'oh! On the other hand, I don't see why Newport at the very least should have been permitted to enter? City Status in 2002; Lord Mayoralship in 2012?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Haters gonna hate 8-)

That's two threads you've criticised me in over Preston of late ;)

Last edited:

phil8715

Did Blackburn apply? And St Asaph where the hell is that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
To me, at least three - Cambridge, Lancaster and St Albans - should come ahead of it. I half expected Bath to win, but er... the council didn't bother. D'oh! On the other hand, I don't see why Newport at the very least should have been permitted to enter? City Status in 2002; Lord Mayoralship in 2012?

That may well be, but only one of those is in Northern Ireland - each country would either get a new city (3) OR mayoral status (1).

Status
Not open for further replies.