• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jubilee......

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Ok, so it was a bit extravagant and over-the-top, but it brought people together and was a proper celebration for the greatest country in the world.

Exactly. Whatever it cost, it must surely recoup either now or in the future, as people come to Britain now or in the future (and spend money). Those moaning should perhaps explain what they're doing to make British people (and others around the world) feel good and proud, as well as their contribution to the economy by not having events like this.

People talk of the cost to the economy. Surely, besides factories possibly not making things (assuming any closed), most people will make up the two days of 'lost' work in the last three days of the week anyway. And one day was a bank holiday anyway, which was merely moved. I'm certain that a lot of people who weren't glued to the TV will be out shopping, doing a bit of DIY or enjoying a meal/drink out - so that's a boost to economy is it not?

In fact, given how good the Jubilee concert was, and how many people will be talking about it for some time, those people who thought it cool to slag it all off before are probably looking silly, and certainly now in the minority.

The same will of course happen about the Olympics (we like to moan and put ourselves down here), but I also think that this will be another way of allowing British people to be proud and show us our nation in the best light, rather than being seen as the place of rioting last August.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Not that monarchs can't enjoy a little subjugation of their peoples: Saudi Arabia being a fine example where the King ordered troops to put down a rebellion or the King of Thailand who acquiesced while armed fighting was taking place in his country together with the few absolute monarchies left in the world. I concur (and said as much earlier in the thread) that we're better off with a monarch than an elected head of state but that's more due to the person of the Queen than any constitutional reasoning.

Ah but they're absolute rulers and our monarchy isn't.

Butts

Veteran Member
Ah but they're absolute rulers and our monarchy isn't.

Yes, bring back Charles I ...divine right of kings and all that :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just watching the crowds in The Mall heading towards the balcony appearance and the fly past.

Kim Jong and his acolytes in North Korea must be looking on in astonishment and envy - this is what a genuine spontaneous gathering of an adoring public is like...not one of their stage managed "get togethers":p

Must just add watching it on the BBC, why are the reporters wearing nice suits without a tie, they would be better either in casual or full formal.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Apparently Republic were there earlier on the route that her carriage took to get to St Paul's however anything they had to say was rapidly drowned out by the rest of the crowd chanting "God save the Queen!" :lol:

EM2

Established Member
They had a shot on the TV, of the carriages coming down The Mall.
All the lamposts with a Union Flag, guardsmen along either side of the road, the carriages with the coachmen and the mounted guards (with the brass helmets) alongside.
Pretty bloody impressive.
I don't get very emotional but that was very close to it.

Butts

Veteran Member
Typical,the bloody rain is just starting before the Queen has come out on the Balcony......hopefully the flypast will not be affected can't wait to see The Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane.
Apparently Republic were there earlier on the route that her carriage took to get to St Paul's however anything they had to say was rapidly drowned out by the rest of the crowd chanting "God save the Queen!" :lol:

That bunch are as popular as a chocolate teapot - mainly consist of the "chattering classes" and a few idealists, must be galling for them to see the numbers turning out.:p

Schnellzug

Established Member
Well, pleased to see the Weather was ok for the flypast. I must say, she did look quite moved. Did you notice Camilla lurking in the background, thinking, no doubt, "one day, all of this will be mine". ? :lol:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Pretty bloody impressive.
I don't get very emotional but that was very close to it.

My sentiments exactly. It's a huge shame the weather hasn't played ball, but this weekend has given me hope that some people are still proud of this country and our monarchy. The Queen has been an excellent figurehead for this country throughout the world, and to those arguing about the cost of the monarchy and the Jubilee celebrations, I'd love to know the amount that tourism related to the monarchy brings to this country each year (fairly substantial, I'd imagine!).

Schnellzug

Established Member
Exactly. Whatever it cost, it must surely recoup either now or in the future, as people come to Britain now or in the future (and spend money). Those moaning should perhaps explain what they're doing to make British people (and others around the world) feel good and proud, as well as their contribution to the economy by not having events like this.

People talk of the cost to the economy. Surely, besides factories possibly not making things (assuming any closed), most people will make up the two days of 'lost' work in the last three days of the week anyway. And one day was a bank holiday anyway, which was merely moved. I'm certain that a lot of people who weren't glued to the TV will be out shopping, doing a bit of DIY or enjoying a meal/drink out - so that's a boost to economy is it not?

In fact, given how good the Jubilee concert was, and how many people will be talking about it for some time, those people who thought it cool to slag it all off before are probably looking silly, and certainly now in the minority.

The same will of course happen about the Olympics (we like to moan and put ourselves down here), but I also think that this will be another way of allowing British people to be proud and show us our nation in the best light, rather than being seen as the place of rioting last August.

I think there's absolutely no comparison whatsoever between this and the Government-supplied corporate festival in which sport barely gets a look in that lord Coe and his minions are forcing us to enjoy. The silly Torch hasn't got much publicity lately, has it?

Butts

Veteran Member
Well thats it then......

It was magnificent to see The Royal Standard flying over Buckingham Palace with The Lions of England and Scotland and the Harp of Ireland representing the three Kingdoms of The British Isles.

The Irish Guards (who still recruit from ALL over Ireland) did well with the music (even the bagpipes:oops:)

The Lancaster Spitfires and Hurricane were a sight to behold ....and remember the Queen is a direct link with the era they are from.

The crowds were from all over the UK and I wish I had not been working.

In a word only one Country in the whole world can mount a spectacle like this..and ....

we are lucky to live in it :lol:

newbie babs

A fantastic end to the 4 days.The concert last night was just fantastic.

I am always proud of this country and our monarchy, no one else has anything near it.

Olympics may be near but it cant beat what we have seen in the last 4 days, I am so glad the news had been all about the Queen and not the flame of that Olympic torch.

I don`t think Camilla will ever be stood where the Queen was, (she wishes) .

LE Greys

Established Member
Nine Merlin engines all at once! :D Wish I'd been there like I was 10 years ago. Still, the street party went well yestreday.

bnm

Established Member
Jubilee.... meh.

Glad that's over.
Sorry to be a pedant (:lol:), but it depends what Spitfires they were. Some of them have Griffons. :roll:

Indeed. A couple of the Spitfires in the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight have Rolls Royce Griffon engines.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
That bunch are as popular as a chocolate teapot - mainly consist of the "chattering classes" and a few idealists, must be galling for them to see the numbers turning out.:p[/QUOTE]

No, not really - I'm well aware that Republicans are in a minority and don't expect this country to suddenly become a republic! There is nothing inherently wrong in holding a minority view that does not harm others, presumably everyone on this forum realises that enjoying trains as a form of transport puts them in a minority.
One doesn't have to live in a monarchy to be proud (if that is the correct word) of one's country - the French do a pretty good job!

Butts

Veteran Member
That bunch are as popular as a chocolate teapot - mainly consist of the "chattering classes" and a few idealists, must be galling for them to see the numbers turning out.:p

No, not really - I'm well aware that Republicans are in a minority and don't expect this country to suddenly become a republic! There is nothing inherently wrong in holding a minority view that does not harm others, presumably everyone on this forum realises that enjoying trains as a form of transport puts them in a minority.
One doesn't have to live in a monarchy to be proud (if that is the correct word) of one's country - the French do a pretty good job![/QUOTE]

Very true - but I feel you are more in a minority than us persecuted smokers (sorry couldn't resist :oops:)

If you'd rather have someone like Sarkozy as head of state in preference to The Queen I don't think you've quite recovered from 1284 :p

SS4

Established Member
If you'd rather have someone like Sarkozy as head of state in preference to The Queen I don't think you've quite recovered from 1284 :p

What about Gauck?

Let's compare one of the best and stable monarchies to a scandal ridden President. What a splendid and unbiased idea :roll:

I'd rather have Sarkozy than King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand whom criticism of is a criminal offence or King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia?
Am I doing it right?!

Butts

Veteran Member
What about Gauck?

Let's compare one of the best and stable monarchies to a scandal ridden President. What a splendid and unbiased idea :roll:

I'd rather have Sarkozy than King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand whom criticism of is a criminal offence or King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia?
Am I doing it right?!

If you read the post I was replying to, France was mentioned hence my use of that country as as an example :p

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Very true - but I feel you are more in a minority than us persecuted smokers (sorry couldn't resist :oops:)

If you'd rather have someone like Sarkozy as head of state in preference to The Queen I don't think you've quite recovered from 1284 :p[/QUOTE]

No, Sarkozy is a politician, and France has a presidential system quite different to our Parliamentary Democracy so I wouldn't want someone of that ilk ( and of course that rules out Thatcher, Blair, Major etc etc, in fact all
who have been in government representing a Political Party). The Irsish system has some merit.
....and mentioning Oliver Cromwell (an old boy of my school), the English Civil war is a fascinating period of history, one of my favourites. Political theories abounded in that period and radical ideas were developed long before Marx and Engels, though obviously in a rural rather than industrial context. I shan't go on!!

...and I do have some understanding of smokers being in a minority. I am still partial to one when I go to a pub.

SS4

Established Member
Meanwhile: "Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant" (guardian)

Needless to say they were not paid. Dickens would not have failed to recognise such exploitation "work experience"

starrymarkb

Established Member
Isn't the German system similar to ours

President - elected head of state, must be apolitical and nonpartisan in office (role is similar to the Queen in that respect)
Chancellor - leader of ruling party, wields power, roughly equivalent to the UK PM

Butts

Veteran Member

Needless to say they were not paid. Dickens would not have failed to recognise such exploitation "work experience"

If they had been paid would it not have affected their benefits ?

I take it they were volunteers and perhaps appreciated the opportunity to be part of something special :p

No, Sarkozy is a politician, and France has a presidential system quite different to our Parliamentary Democracy so I wouldn't want someone of that ilk ( and of course that rules out Thatcher, Blair, Major etc etc, in fact all
who have been in government representing a Political Party). The Irsish system has some merit.
....and mentioning Oliver Cromwell (an old boy of my school), the English Civil war is a fascinating period of history, one of my favourites. Political theories abounded in that period and radical ideas were developed long before Marx and Engels, though obviously in a rural rather than industrial context. I shan't go on!!

...and I do have some understanding of smokers being in a minority. I am still partial to one when I go to a pub.[/QUOTE]

You want to study your history a little more carefully. Cromwell started off with noble intentions but ended envisioning himself as a Monarch - in fact some people wanted to crown him (probably both ways !!!) A believer in the Divine right of Kings was replaced by a Dictator :lol:

To the average punter little changed :oops:

SS4

Established Member
If they had been paid would it not have affected their benefits ?

I take it they were volunteers and perhaps appreciated the opportunity to be part of something special :p

I got the impression they were volunteered against their will. Any payment would affect their benefits but travel expenses can be paid (they sort of were by being bussed in) without effect as can overnight accommodation which is the least they should have provided. The employer still has a duty of care.

Granted the guardian is likely to overplay the story due to its political bias but I don't think they're lying and I wish to stress it's very unlikely anyone in the Royal Family would have known.

edit: the two of you need to pay attention to quotes, tags are broken all over :p

WestCoast

Established Member
It's not a bad thing to put on your CV. Not terribly different to compulsory unpaid work experience done in some decent schools...

Basic accommodation should definitely have been provided though.

Butts

Veteran Member
I got the impression they were volunteered against their will. Any payment would affect their benefits but travel expenses can be paid (they sort of were by being bussed in) without effect as can overnight accommodation which is the least they should have provided. The employer still has a duty of care.

Granted the guardian is likely to overplay the story due to its political bias but I don't think they're lying and I wish to stress it's very unlikely anyone in the Royal Family would have known.

edit: the two of you need to pay attention to quotes, tags are broken all over :p

Sorry about the tags ( I am a comp dunce - what are tags ???)

Speaking personally If I had been on the "king cole" I would have not minded a trip of this nature with meals and accomodation thrown in and a good view ?:p

Schnellzug

Established Member

bear in mind the source, who must be fuming that the People are still so stubborn and old fashioned, and are clearly trying desperately to find some scandal that they can somehow attribute to the Queen ... What have any of their complaints and woes got to do with the Monarchy? is that not entirely due to good old private enterprise and the Elected Government's treatment of the unemployed? It's hardly as if the Queen's Bodyguards were going round with press gangs coercing people into camping in muddy fields and getting undressed in public in the freezing cold and rain. Close Protection UK are entirely to blame for that, surely it'd be just the same as if it was a rock festival or, indeed, the Olympics.

SS4

Established Member
It's not a bad thing to put on your CV. Not terribly different to compulsory unpaid work experience done in some decent schools...

Basic accommodation should definitely have been provided though.

Sorry about the tags ( I am a comp dunce - what are tags ???)

Speaking personally If I had been on the "king cole" I would have not minded a trip of this nature with meals and accomodation thrown in and a good view ?:p

Indeed and I'd have no problem if I could believe they were genuine volunteers rather than being essentially press ganged into it. I shall say no more on the matter lest this topic drift

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
You want to study your history a little more carefully. Cromwell started off with noble intentions but ended envisioning himself as a Monarch - in fact some people wanted to crown him (probably both ways !!!) A believer in the Divine right of Kings was replaced by a Dictator :lol: To the average punter little changed :oops:[/QUOTE said:
Yes, I'm well aware of the history of Cromwell, and wasn't making any comment on him in particular, but rather pointing out the many ideas regarding a just society that abounded in that period.
Cromwell almost became what he tried to get rid off, almost, because he refused the crown but became, as you suggest a dictator (as we would understand the term today). Reminds me of A-Level questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.