• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jubilee......

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony263

Established Member
Despite the weather there was a good number of people celebrating on the promenade in Porthcawl with a little road train going back and fourth together with an open top bus which I had the pleasure of riding on this evening.

I must say the road train was a tinny thing compared to what most of us would call a road train. It was more like a little narrow gauge engine complete with sound effects which was a bit amusing

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Meanwhile: "Unemployed bussed in to steward river pageant" (guardian)

Needless to say they were not paid. Dickens would not have failed to recognise such exploitation "work experience"

I thought they were paid? Not a lot, but certainly not no pay.

Still, the Guardian has a real downer on anything that might get people into a job through real world work experience. Given it's a major obstacle to employment for many, I have no idea why they're against it considering they do the very same thing for their own journalists!!

If you were on benefits and were able to take a work placement without losing your benefits, and there was a chance of a full time job at the end of it - how is that a bad thing?

Making people sleep under a bridge is obviously ridiculous, but the comments on that article are all using this as a way of attacking the concept - when they should focus on that particular company.

I should finally add that the company I work for regularly advertises for interns. People actually work from home, and get paid expenses but nothing else. I can say that we're averaging 50% being kept on full-time after their placement ends. If they're good at their job, they're hired. If not, they have something for their CV. It made me totally rethink my views on 'slave labour' as it's an excellent foot in the door for people wanting to get into the media world.

Status
Not open for further replies.