• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jubilee......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
What is everyone else planning to do for the above - I am working (nights) on all four days.

Is Falkirk the only Council in the UK to be open on Monday (closed on the Tuesday) - no four day jolly here :lol:

Is there a street party near you - in Scotland most of them seem to be in Edinburgh (regarding by the street closures) with a few others dotted about the Country.

Shame about the weather as well:oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
I will not be doing anything to celebrate the "achievement" of someone who has managed not to die for 60 years

No doubt you will be appreciative of the day off or enhanced payments for working on the Bank Holidays !!!

It sounds like for you the age of deference was an alien concept :p

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I shall be doing what I always do for these events, sit at home and watch the whole thing on TV. You get the best view of the most interesting events all from the comfort of your own chair.

SS4

Established Member
I shall be hungover for it is my birthday tomorrow <D

e: unless it's a massive anticlimax and I decide I can't be bothered going out. Also yes I do see the irony.

e2: to me a jubbly [close enough] is a roughly tetrahedral drink one freezes and then eats like a tip-top. It can also be a small carton of juice in the same manner

Minilad

Established Member
No doubt you will be appreciative of the day off or enhanced payments for working on the Bank Holidays !!!

Would have been off Monday anyway and will receive nothing extra for working Tuesday. And yes the age of deference isn't something that I have any truck with whatsoever. Anything that is bestowed upon someone by the accident of birth has no place in a modern society.
But if you want to wave your little flag and put up your bunting be my guest

455driver

Veteran Member

Extra day off in lieu, yes (as everyone else is getting).
Enhanced payment, not a chance in hell despite most people working Tuesday getting extra pay!

One of the big "advantages" is having my nice easy shift cancelled (on Tuesday) and picking up the biggest pile of ****e "special" duty possible.

newbie babs

Got both Monday and Tuesday off paid.
I will as a Royalist be having my family around, bunting , flags the whole lot and proud of it. Its what I choose and yet I understand why people don`t, but I would never be rude about their choice.

Would have been off Monday anyway and will receive nothing extra for working Tuesday. And yes the age of deference isn't something that I have any truck with whatsoever. Anything that is bestowed upon someone by the accident of birth has no place in a modern society.
But if you want to wave your little flag and put up your bunting be my guest

It's nothing to do with deference and all to do with respect. But you republicans wouldn't understand that.

SS4

Established Member
It's nothing to do with deference and all to do with respect. But you republicans wouldn't understand that.

Respect and Deference only really differ in whether the subject has earned respect.

I personally have splinters from sitting on the fence but would rather have a monarch than an elected president if only from my disdain of politics.

And, on the day of Birmingham Pride, it's perhaps fitting to mention that she's rarely/never brought up LGBT issues in public (it was an article on someone's facebook wall earlier)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
And, on the day of Birmingham Pride, it's perhaps fitting to mention that she's rarely/never brought up LGBT issues in public (it was an article on someone's facebook wall earlier)

Why would she?

Peter Tatchell is full of nonsense - the Queen not publicly commenting on so trivial an issue as people being gay doesn't mean she's homophobic.

If being gay is not an issue (and why ever would it be?), why do some gay people make a hoohah about it? Allowing your sexuality to define you effectively ghettoises you.

Gay men and straight men are just blokes.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Gay men and straight men are just blokes.

Amen to that :)

With regards to the jubilee, it's certainly a momentous occasion (IMO), and does deserve recognition, but all the jubilee themed nonsense we've had rammed down our throats rather spoils it.

There is a street party in my town, but I won't be going, it is after all, just going to be an excuse for people to get drunk on foreign beer and stuff their faces with foreign made food, and I have no reason to feel patriotic about that.

All I am doing for the jubilee, is putting 1 (yes just 1) union jack on my front room wall, and my current avatar (150128 will return soon enough ;))

anthony263

Established Member
I will perhaps watch it on TV and I will be visiting Porthcawl on tuesday if the weather is ok as there is supposed to be a free open top bus service running.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Sick of it from work, the jubilee tat is also getting rather OTT (I suspect a lot of the Jubilee hype is from businesses who are afraid of falling fowl of the Olympic Brand Protection - ie not being able to use the words 'Summer' and '2012' together without threats from Locog)

[youtube]ysGhTQss9tE[/youtube]

Aussie_Rail

Will be watching all that our local news stations can broadcast. Not sure if they're showing anything about it on the big screen over at Federation Square, but as the weather is not so good of late I will be watching at home.

Aussie Rail.

S19

I'd rather be at work on Tuesday but my employer won't let me as they'd have to pay me double time and give me a day off in lieu.

Completely pointless day off work in my opinion.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Respect and Deference only really differ in whether the subject has earned respect.

I personally have splinters from sitting on the fence but would rather have a monarch than an elected president if only from my disdain of politics.

darn right. if anyone would be able to provide a reasonable argument why it would be advantageous to replace the Monarch as head of state with someone elected, then i'd be perfectly willing to listen to them, but so far the arguments have not been persuasive; would we just be replacing the Monarch with the prime Minister given even more (largely ceremonial) powers, thus increasing their ego even more, or would we just replace them with a figurehead who has no power at all, like Richard Branston or Lord Sugar*? Or would they go the whole hog and appoint a Lord Protector as to all intents and purposes dictator? Whatever it might be, there'd still be the same crowd of arrogant incompetents actually in control, so no one would be any better off really

* Although actually I think I would for him; you can just imagine him giving the whole disreputable crowd a contemptuous look and saying "You're fired", much like Ollie Cromwell did in 1653

richw

Veteran Member
My employer was looking for volunteers to work, in exchange for a day off in lieu. I jumped at the chance of this, for several reasons, first being I was 2 days allowance short of a full weeks holiday, after booking all my other holiday requests, secondly every where is going to be utter chaotic with reduced opening hours, so id much rather work, and have a day off when places will be quiet and not over inflated prices

curly42

I shall be spending a few days in my local pub,and,hopefully,missing the whole Jubilee.
Pretty much the same goes for the Olympics thing that's happening later.Something alse to avoid at all costs.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I shall be spending a few days in my local pub,and,hopefully,missing the whole Jubilee.
Pretty much the same goes for the Olympics thing that's happening later.Something alse to avoid at all costs.

the Jub, though, is a bit easier to ignore than the whole Olypmic fiasco, since it'll ve over by Wednesday, whereas the flaming Omylpics go onfor weeks and weeks and flipping weeks, with this stupid Torch thing as well.

Minilad

Established Member

Respect for what exactly. I have great respect for many people. I have respect for people who start with nothing and make a success of themselves. I have respect for people who battle against the odds just to survive. I have respect for anyone who works damn hard to support a family in times of crisis. What I do not have respect for are people who have the best of everything plonked in their lap simply as an accident of birth. And are made out to be something special because of it.

Schnellzug

Established Member
The trouble with getting to the top on merit is, though, that people (particularly career Politicians) who have got themselves where they are today through sheer hard work are often the most ambitious and willing to trample on anyone who gets in their way. Merit needn't necssarily mean that they're better at doing the job than everyone else, just that they're the most ruthless and certain that they're right. Most Dictators got to the top through sheer hard work.

Minilad

Established Member
The trouble with getting to the top on merit is, though, that people (particularly career Politicians) who have got themselves where they are today through sheer hard work are often the most ambitious and willing to trample on anyone who gets in their way. Merit needn't necssarily mean that they're better at doing the job than everyone else, just that they're the most ruthless and certain that they're right. Most Dictators got to the top through sheer hard work.

Good point. But they can always be voted out

Johnuk123

Established Member
I see the draft dodging Queen Tatchell is going to be there, not like him to miss a chance to spout his odious views.

The tiny anti monarchy outfit Republic is going to bang a few drums, they claim that "hundreds" of anti monarchists will be out in force.

They are so short of support that they've had to ask a few Swedes to come over to bolster them.

"Hundreds" to me says it all, in a population of over 60m.

wensley

Established Member
I plan to keep well out of the way and ignore the whole event! A waste of time and money IMO!!

I was off anyway so even the days off are wasted lol

Aussie_Rail

I see the draft dodging Queen Tatchell is going to be there, not like him to miss a chance to spout his odious views.

The tiny anti monarchy outfit Republic is going to bang a few drums, they claim that "hundreds" of anti monarchists will be out in force.

They are so short of support that they've had to ask a few Swedes to come over to bolster them.

"Hundreds" to me says it all, in a population of over 60m.

here, here! When The Queen came to Australia last year huge, huge crowds gathered where ever she went just to get a glimpse of her.

When she was in Melbourne, she walked through Federation Square to then board a tram to go to Government House, the Square was so packed it was like New Years eve! Even when she boarded the tram St Kilda road was lined with people.

And before she even came all the republicans said they'd all be out in force, they were no where to be seen and since the Royal wedding and all this support for a republic in Australia is at its lowest ever. And still dropping...

There are lots of Jubilee parties being held here, both official and unofficial.

Aussie Rail.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
here, here! When The Queen came to Australia last year huge, huge crowds gathered where ever she went just to get a glimpse of her.

The latest I heard was that Miss Gillard intended to have a public referendum (or similar) on becoming a republic when Elizabeth II passes away, but that was when she first came to power I think; I take it monarchy is still quite popular then in Australia, and there's very little chance (hypothetically) of you breaking away any time soon?

I think a key factor in the popularity of the British monarchy in Commonwealth countries, worldwide even, is William and Kate, I think they're giving a new energy to the popularity, what with their age and everything. Long may it continue!

Butts

Veteran Member
My own personal view is that The Queen has done a wonderful job over the last sixty years whether she was "born into it or not"

Representing one of the last links with when Britain had an Empire and the Second World War she has certainly lived through momentous times and changes, providing a continuity and popularity that no elected head of state could dream of aspiring to.

For a woman of 87 she maintains a hectic schedule and has given her whole life in the cause of public service.

XC and his republican cohorts may not like it but the evidence is there of the massive crowds on The Thames witnessing this historic occasion and putting him firmly in the minority with regard to his indifference to Royalty.

What happens when The Queen passes away is another matter, but for the meantime lets just try and appreciate how fortunate we are in having such a revered head of state :p

Status
Not open for further replies.