• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Judge says - "Woman would’ve been jailed if she was a man"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Some backstory just incase; This woman was an alcholic after being in an abusive relationship for several years. She was already banned from driving for 2 drink driving offenses and decided to drive after drinking an entire bottle of wine. Here's the full story.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-47914832
A judge gave a serial drink-driver a chance to avoid jail because she is a woman.

Victoria Parry, 30, hit three other cars after downing a bottle of wine.

Judge Sarah Buckingham said Parry, an alcoholic who had escaped an abusive relationship, would have gone "straight down the stairs" to jail if she were a man.

Although Parry "deserved" a prison term, the judge gave her three months to address her issues.

The comments are being investigated by a judicial watchdog...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
For the law everybody is the same man, woman or something else. The judge had to use other words. Now i do not know how long her list of offences is, but he/she should have told to give her a second chance. But with % there should be zero tolerance so that everybody learns the soft or hard way.

bramling

Veteran Member

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
If this is as it seems then it’s disgraceful IMO. So a crime merits less punishment if one is female.
She has been given 3 months to sort herself out. But the female judge shouldn't have made such remarks and should be reprimanded.
What about the usual media clamour for female equality? Is that only when it suits them?
Well the media are full of progressives who only push equality and the like when it suits them, so yes.

GB

Established Member
An investigation isn't a reprimand.

You can't have a reprimand without first having an investigation. However as everything in court is recorded it shouldn't take too long and if the reports are accurate, I would expect some action to be taken.

MidlandsChap

Anybody else does something similar in their job and they get done for discrimination. But its okay for a judge.
There needs to be a greater level of accountability for their decisions. Perhaps all courts need to be fitted with VAR, first poor decision is a warning, and if they make two shocking decisions they are sent to the job club.

bramling

Veteran Member
She has been given 3 months to sort herself out. But the female judge shouldn't have made such remarks and should be reprimanded.

It’s not so much the remarks, but the fact that they imply the decision may have been influenced by the person being female.

So if I (being male) had done the same thing I’d have gone “straight to prison”. If it’s as it seems then this judge should be out of a job ASAP. And possibly followed by a review of all her cases to see how many men she has sent “straight to jail” compared to women she hasn’t.

Quite simply, a disgrace.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Anybody else does something similar in their job and they get done for discrimination. But its okay for a judge.

That's completely jumping the gun. As other people have pointed out, the remarks are being investigated, so you can't deduce that anyone thinks they are OK. Luckily, we live in a country where the authorities generally follow due process, rather than making arbitrary decisions. That will be why the matter is being investigated first. Nothing to do with whether or not the person is a judge.

bramling

Veteran Member
That's completely jumping the gun. As other people have pointed out, the remarks are being investigated, so you can't deduce that anyone thinks they are OK. Luckily, we live in a country where the authorities generally follow due process, rather than making arbitrary decisions. That will be why the matter is being investigated first. Nothing to do with whether or not the person is a judge.

Not really sure what there is to investigate, to be honest. The comments appear pretty clear.

I’d expect this sexist judge to have already been suspended, and ultimately to be dismissed from the role.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Not really sure what there is to investigate, to be honest. The comments appear pretty clear.

On face value, the remarks certainly look odd and sexist. If they are as reported and there was no other context that changes their meaning, then I'd expect it to be decided that they are unacceptable and some action taken (I'm being vague here because I have no idea what the procedures are in respect of judges who make comments that are inappropriate in some way). However, given how easy it is for remarks to be taken completely out of context by the media and then amplified out of context on social media - often in such a way that the meaning looks totally different when you put the remarks in their proper context - I'd rather suspend judgement until we hear what the investigation says.

I’d expect this sexist judge to have already been suspended, and ultimately to be dismissed from the role.

That seems pretty harsh. Is that typical of most jobs that one mistaken spoken remark gets you fired and your entire career ruined, perhaps for the rest of your life? I'd have thought some re-training and a review of the sentence passed would seem more proportionate.

bramling

Veteran Member
That seems pretty harsh. Is that typical of most jobs that one mistaken spoken remark gets you fired and your entire career ruined, perhaps for the rest of your life? I'd have thought some re-training and a review of the sentence passed would seem more proportionate.

Being a judge is one profession where I’d expect the basics to be got right, 100% of the time. Blatant sexism in a position of respected public office with the power to suspend a person’s liberty is completely unacceptable in my view, this goes beyond a badly judged throwaway remark. Imagine the uproar if she’d come out with “if you were black you’d be going straight to jail”.

Plenty of people would find their employment in hot water with similar attitudes exhibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.