• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Bikes seems interesting Tech and it will help you with your health too- win win! Congratulations on the improved health.

New Zealand does look interesting, go for it.

Iceland is most interesting. No trains though. For an aviation fan, I would recommend a flight out to Heimaey Island airport (google it) from Bakki Airport (the pilot might even let you fly some of the flight) or Reykjavik. In terms of cultural stuff, the blue lagoon is excellent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks lads, I'd reply in more detail but time is not on my side this morning. The Train, glad you're enjoying the LA read so far, and yes I was rather chuffed to say the least so I'm glad it showed!

Alex, I have no doubt you'll be right there. Certainly keeping the good health is not an easy challenge but equally it's easier than it was before. Wasn't too fussed yesterday admittedly, nice food was way up the agenda! When the good weather actually returns on a more regular basis the mood will improve dramatically, always makes it easier to be healthy when the weather is good enough to allow for some outdoor activity!

Iskra, all good points there, I think it might just be that it'll be better to leave NZ until the end of my Bucket List. I could potentially make it more of a better trip that way, make it more fitting of a completion of the list. Iceland, yeah I was meant to have booked my sightseeing tour yesterday but that kind of got forgotten about. A job for this afternoon, given it looks like I'll be indoors again all day...

Kite, yes indeed! You've actually reminded me I need to go and buy my helmet today, since I seem to be taking this new exercise regime seriously enough!

The_Train

Established Member
Just finished day 2 of the LA trip. Always amazes me how you seem to cram so much in without any real effort - I guess it's the art of planning travel which you've clearly mastered.

I've always imagined the Walk of Fame to be one of those places that you have to go and see to say you've been there and done it but it's not the sort of place to over-excite. I would have said that maybe a movie buff (or a fan of celebrities in general) may enjoy it more but I have you down as someone who likes his movies (could be wrong but you certainly enjoy them on planes :lol:) and it was clearly a bit 'meh' for you as well. Maybe one in Hereford would create a bit more excitement? :D

More great pics as well mate. The ones showing the landscape of the area are superb - love how buildings are pretty much the same size for miles around and then suddenly there is the collection of skyscrapers on the horizon.

Kite159

Veteran Member
When I did the walk of fame in Hollywood a few years ago, I found it a bit "meh" as well. Too many "we will take a picture of you standing next to the star of your choice for $10" chancers.

The_Train

Established Member
When I did the walk of fame in Hollywood a few years ago, I found it a bit "meh" as well. Too many "we will take a picture of you standing next to the star of your choice for $10" chancers.

Ah yeah, I'd not even considered that side of it. Is that quite a prominent thing around a lot of American landmarks?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The Train, I did type a detailed response to you but for some reason it just won't accept I've put any text into the reply. I'll try to PM you instead.

03/03/2020 - Tech's Worcestershire Parkway mini-farce

I hadn't intended to do any sort of trip report for this out and back trip, but it turned out to be interesting enough to do just that!

After a gruelling few days at work, I had originally just planned to do some Beryl bike rides, head home for lunch and do some more in the evening. I've already added this bit to my trip report for Iceland's backstory, but I've got well into the Beryl bikes in Hereford. Similar to those in London, I've spent several days adjusting to a new and more intense form of cardio exercise. Even my most intense power-walk sessions feel super slow compared to some of my bike rides now! It does help, of course, that the bikes are all numbered, and yes I do have a memo file on my phone of the ones I've ridden! The app measures the distance in kilometres, but the speed in miles per hour, which is slightly frustrating but it's not overly hard to convert the distance into miles. I also note start and end points, as well as the route taken. Eventually I'm going to get a street map and mark off where I've ridden too. I know I suggested a couple of weeks in a thread title that Techniquest (as in my old personality) was returning, but I hadn't expected the completionist attitude to come out on bikes!

Anyway, let's crack on with the train bits. Having cleared all 39 Beryl Bays in Hereford for both Start and End (yes I do have a log of all the bays that are currently in operation on my memo file!) I ended up at the railway station after a light lunch. In rolled winner 800036 on the 1150 from London Paddington, one of my last two 800/0s, so I quickly sourced tickets to Worcestershire Parkway. Might as well get the newest local station done, as it was the same price as to Worcester Shrub Hill! A coffee was first sourced from Morrisons, and our departure was delayed by 8 minutes due to a WMR service running late.

A slow crawl to Shelwick Junction and another wait was had for a pair of 170s to clear the way. Not long after the junction was a very long TSR, which ended a couple of miles before Ledbury, and I don't think we topped 20mph if that all the way! I found out later it was sourced by defective track, that would explain that then, and I had not really noticed how curvy the route between Hereford and Ledbury is until this occasion.

Eventually we were through Worcester, and we had gone from 32ish late off Ledbury to 22 late from Shrub Hill. However, I knew what was coming up, and sure enough unlike the rest of the norms who had stood up before it we got held for some time at Norton Junction for a Worcester-bound train to clear the single line from Evesham. For such a busy mainline route, it is incredibly frustrating that there's that single line section when the much more lightly used bit to Abbotswood Junction (on the mainline to Birmingham) has a double track section!

Arrival into Worcestershire Parkway was, as a result, 38 minutes late. Hello Delay Repay! I had intended to be on the 1650 back to Worcester, the train we were held at Norton Junction for, as my train had been due to arrive at 1621. More than enough time to have a quick look at the new station and head home. Obviously, that didn't happen. Thankfully the 800 on the 1630 from Great Malvern was dud 800011, and of course my next IET was late as a result of being held at Evesham for it to clear the way. I was so bored of pacing the entire length of platform 3 multiple times!

Dud 800015 took me to Worcester, and I had a very generous connection onto a WMR train to Hereford. A visit to Tesco for a large bottle of water was made before heading to Shrub Hill for 170506+170630 home, the pair starting at Worcester Shrub Hill on this occasion due to the earlier delays. Just before departure, an announcement was made to say the line was shut beyond Ledbury, oh joy. Nothing else said after that, and at Ledbury I expected to be informed we were all to get off the train.

Turned out the line had now re-opened, so we were carrying on after all. No complaints from me, I was getting rather hungry given my rather low food intake all day. Another bike ride was had after arrival in Hereford, stopping off at Tesco for some bits and bobs for breakfast and more besides, as it turned out, before one last red-penner ride to another Beryl Bay nearer home. A short walk home followed, with sausage sandwiches and oven chips for the main. 2 chocolate eclairs for pudding were no doubt not a sensible choice, considering I want rid of the excess mass, but yeah it was needed. Spirits had not been fully boosted from the 5 days of challenging times at work, and that did it!

I had at that point said no to going off for the day only a matter of hours later, but that was not to be the case for long...

Kite159

Veteran Member
Announcements at Shrub Hill being either wrong or non existent at times of issues. I noticed that on Saturday when the signalling went around Malvern.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Tech, can I recommend the Strava app for your phone which will record all your rides on a map together?

Ooh, I'll have to look into that. It could be quite useful, I'm a bit too tired tonight as I didn't get home until gone 2310. Cheers for the tip though!

Announcements at Shrub Hill being either wrong or non existent at times of issues. I noticed that on Saturday when the signalling went around Malvern.

Yeah announcements are really poor in my area sometimes. Of course, sometimes they don't shut up repeating the same thing over and over with virtually no break between announcements...

And the screen on the Hereford platform at Malvern Link is still not working! I've lost count of the weeks that's not worked for now...

Trip report for today will go up in the morning, I need to check it for errors yet. It's time for bed now, only been looking to it for nearly 5 hours...!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
04/03/2020 - Tech's Oxfordshire Day Ranger 2020

Having gone out for the afternoon the day before, and finally hit the hay around 9pm, I had not expected to actually make it for a day out on this occasion after all. Once I woke naturally a little before 0530, it was time for a de-rance and breakfast. During this process, I decided it had to be done, I couldn't just stay in Hereford all day after all. So a little after 6am preparations were made, and I headed out to the Beryl Bay at Plough Lane for a high-speed ride to the railway station on a red-pen ride. I hit 12.2mph on that, which I was very happy with unsurprisingly. After checking what was on the 0643 to Paddington, which was dud 802113, I sat down to buy my e-ticket to Moreton-in-Marsh. As I still had 25 minutes to go before the 0709 to Birmingham departed, I ended up red-penning another Beryl bike on a circular-ish route. A new speed record was set, thanks to favourable traffic conditions, at 13.23mph which I was understandably very happy with! I still had 15 minutes, but that would do. It was then time for some tunes before I got one of the 'throne seats' on 170506+170631.

A coffee from home was fully enjoyed while I typed up the report from the previous afternoon's mini-farce of a trip, and I was in Worcester before I knew it. I had intended to start a book on that ride, but yeah that hadn't happened. A fast march from Shrub Hill station to Subway and back was done for a coffee, and I still had ages until departure on dud 800016 towards Oxfordshire. Only needing 800017 to clear the 800/0s, I was rather hopeful many 802/0s, my last two 802/1s, my last two GWR 165s and any number of 387s would be scored on this trip. I'd soon find out! The run to Evesham was filled with starting this trip report off, then chilling out for the remainder of the 77 minute ride to Oxford.

The guard finally made it to coach A after Moreton-in-Marsh, and £18 later I had my Oxfordshire Day Ranger. I then started my next book from Linwood Barclay, Never Look Away, but by now I was more focused on the trains than anything, so it was hard to focus much on reading. Especially with a need for a PNB and Oxford yards fast approaching, it was all eyes on the windows for a winner! A dud 165 and dud 802/1 were on the 0937 and 1001 respectively out of Oxford, so I decided the better option was to continue to Reading on 800016. The weather had been excellent in Hereford and Worcester, overcast in Oxfordshire! On the approach to Didcot Parkway, I noted 165121 which was my final 2-car GWR 165 to get, and noting it was likely to be on the 1037 Oxford-Didcot Parkway I was all set for a race back west out of Reading to go get it. 165113 would be the final 165 with GWR to get, would I find it today? Well, stay tuned and all will be revealed...

Naturally, much hunting for 165113 was done at Reading, and I got a Pret (at Heathrow prices!) while I hunted. 165112 and 165114 next to each other on the eastern bays taunted me, and I had noted 3 387s I needed out on Didcot services so I was already sorted there. The next fast to Didcot Parkway was in the hands of dud 800316. That 2-car 165 would be mine if I had my way! I had more than enough time off the 800 as it turned out, and winner 165121 was observed arriving before its long fester to do the 1104 to Banbury. Naturally, I took a photo and I was on in the warm ready and raring to go. Annoyingly the sockets weren't working but hey-ho, it was not yet an issue anyway.

Away we went eventually, and we got held at Didcot North Junction for a late non-stopper. Lunch was now my top priority, as the toast for breakfast and a protein bar just before Moreton in Marsh had worn off now. I found Sainsburys nearby once out of the station, and a bacon sandwich from there was absolutely heavenly. Once that was devoured I felt alive again! With the 165 done, I now wanted to get back to the action and fast. However the 1202 fast was dud 802113, which had been on the 0643 from Hereford, so instead I took Kite's advice and waited instead for 165133 to Didcot to try my luck on 387s instead.

Next few IETs were all dud, same for the 387s. However thankfully the 1306 was winning pair 387160+387156, and I was very glad to get out of the cold and wet! A check revealed a +2 was available at Tilehurst, which I easily made, and I joined double winners 387155+387161 on a leap to Cholsey. Now the scores on the doors were starting to look a lot more acceptable! Sadly, the pair back east were double duds 387163+387147, but you can't win them all. My next priority was a coffee while I got my walkage going on in the hunt for 165113 and of course 800017 or any 802s stopping in the Oxfordshire area.

A short hunt before a visit to Pret, just in case, was made but no positive results. So after sourcing my coffee there was much walking around and flagging dud after dud after dud. There were 802/0s I needed out, but they were all on West Country services which was no help to me. In any case, it's just as well, as I found 165113! After getting a photo, and confirmation it was on the 1600 to Redhill, I kept my options open but it was all duds, and I ended up at Burger King. That meal, despite it only being just under 4 hours since that bacon sandwich, really sorted my appetite out!

Thankfully, the 1600 was indeed the service I needed and £4.60 later I had my e-ticket. That is, once I found a spot on platform 4 where the GWR app loaded the payment page, ooh I was getting wound up by that! Bang on time, winner 165113 took me to Wokingham. At long last, I had got my last GWR Turbo, no more would I need to hunt them! As I had done it without seeking gen first, I was unsurprisingly very proud too, much more satisfied for sure. The AC unit made more noise than the 165 mind, and after alighting I did have a big beaming smile going on. That mission was finally done!

Winner 458522 led dud 458507 on a non-stop run back to Reading, and it was time to get a hunt going on. I noted too Reading depot were starting to kick out 387s, but I suspect most of my needs will be on the Maidenhead shorts. Only one way to find out of course! Not much of interest really otherwise, except for getting to just 1 more 802/0, 802004, required before I clear the GWR IETs for sight. Double winners 387162+387157 were then joined on the ultra-express Paddington-Didcot Parkway, which calls only at Reading. It's fair to say we absolutely stormed it up the Down Relief, linking to it from platform 8 via (I believe!) the Festival Chord. It's taken me a long time to get that bit!

The next pair back out of Didcot to London were, to my surprise, double winners 387152+387145 for a leap to Cholsey. Happier days were forthcoming too, as the next pair of 387s to Didcot were dud 387164 and winner 387142. Wow I was doing really well on the GWR Electrostars today! I didn't know for sure what my next move would be, but as I was expecting at least one winner on the 1820 Paddington-Didcot I decided the sensible option was to join dud 800315 for a thrash along the Up Main to Reading. Especially as it was suggested the next stopper was a single 387, and the diagram I'd seen a solo Electrostar on earlier was a dud 'un so best not get bowled...

It seemed my luck was now out, as not only was a pair of required 387s I couldn't keep track of on RTT earlier on the 1756 Paddington-Reading, and then off to depot, but the Paddington to Banbury IET was 802110, one of my last two 802/1s! I was not having a lot of luck now...Oh, and the 12-car working off depot earlier, that I had successfully followed? Well it turned out only 387171 on the very rear of the 1820 from Paddington was required. Guess what? It was detached at Reading!

I figured I might be able to make that 802 on its way back from Banbury, and while I could easily get it back from Oxford to Reading I'd then miss the last train of the day to Hereford. I'd make it back to Great Malvern, at 2310, but of course the only option onwards would be taxi or walk. Neither would be an option, so that 802 escapes for another day. I ended up feeling rather defeated, my luck on the IETs was disgraceful on this trip with none had and all of the winners on moves I couldn't make. The 387s were now all options that were no good to me too, so what to do next?

I discovered the 1923 to Ascot, which turned out to be dud 458536 and winner 458508. I took these for a short ride, and by now all I wanted was my bed. The coffee I'd had at Didcot was doing nothing for me, only my bed was appealing, getting more winners was no longer of interest. Coming back from Winnersh Triangle, I had the same 458s as earlier in the day, duds 458522+458507. A supply raid was definitely needed ahead of the long journey home, as even that Burger King meal had worn off now. I was starting to rather dread the weekly weigh-in in the morning, so much so I was seriously considering cancelling it this week!

A good fast march to Sainsburys got made, and I came away with a packet of meat, a loaf of bread in the Yellow Sticker Club and some Wagon Wheels Teacakes to sample. Certainly by no means a healthy selection! Back on the station there was one small bonus prior to my departure home, which was getting 387167 for sight on a Newbury service. That cleared the GWR 387s for sight, and only 802004 remained to be seen to clear the TOC for sight. Until the 769s eventually enter service that is of course, whenever that will actually be!

My final journey of the day, all the way through to Hereford, was dud 800319. Two sandwiches got made and devoured by the time we reached Didcot Parkway, and with some tunes on I perked up somewhat. That wouldn't last of course, this train doesn't reach Hereford until 2258, so I'll be ready to crash before then. So, overall, despite the feeling defeated for a couple of hours, how did I feel the day went?

Well, I can't really complain *too* much about the results. All GWR Turbos cleared, lots of fresh air and some light exercise, and quite a few new sights. A good number of 387s scored, no longer does my GWR 387 requirement list look so embarassing. My 802 requirements, however, are far too numerous for my liking. That 802/1 really got me frustrated it must be said, and the lack of any IET scores all day really annoyed me. Two more 458s in the metaphorical book took me to 10 more to get, but they've not been looked after and I've no desire to really rush for them. A shame as I used to really like the 458s!

So, overall, it could have been a lot worse, and for the next time I've made several notes with that Banbury IET and the 387s. If it wasn't clear, I was really wanting to hurry up and get the 387s all done now! Those teacake things, really nice! By the time we'd reached Charlbury, the likes of Cosmic Gate's Fire Wire and Rob Zombie's Dragula had really got me pumped up and ready for the long journey home. Dragula was heard in an episode of The Flash some months ago, in a battle scene, and as a direct result I love playing it when I really need to rally the spirits and keep going. Fire Wire, more particularly from about halfway through it, certainly does similar, and I moved soon onto Kernkraft 400 - Zombie Nation. Which did remind me I needed to find Storm's Time To Burn next, and some Nightcore wouldn't go amiss. Yes, a rather strange mix, but I really don't care, I love my slightly odd taste in music!

If my data signal had been more reliable in Reading earlier, I'd have had all this lot playing and I'd have been well bouncy. But no, like when I visited Bristol the other week my data signal barely loaded even a basic website just when I needed it to behave. One may just learn to get some music downloaded to his phone for the next time...802021 vice a 9er IET on the 2058 from Worcester, noted at Honeybourne, made me glad I hadn't made special effort to do the 1758 Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street after all. Of course, I wish I had, so I could have got home sooner, and it dawned on me I'm on the 1950 Paddington to Hereford later this month too, but at least I didn't miss a score on it after all.

Evesham, and a 81 minute journey awaited me. Getting closer, getting closer, I had to remind myself, a good sleep would soon be mine. Arrival at Worcester Foregate Street signalled a return to home territory, and I was on countdown for the final stretch. By now, I'd been on the move for almost 15 hours, and I was thinking it might have to be a relatively relaxed day at home for my second day off this week. As much as earlier in the journey I had wanted to get back to the 387s soon, I think I'd now had my fill of the railway for a while.

Which reminded me, it was only 18 days until I was due to be back on the railway anyway, on positioning moves for the Iceland trip. Maybe I'll leave the railway alone until then...I finally got to totting up my kilometre-age on the Beryl bikes, and I now see why my thighs were killing me last Friday when I went back to work. I'd known I'd done a fair bit of riding on 27th February 2020, but my notes tell me I'd done a whopping 37.01km. A very approximate piece of mental arithmetic puts that at over 22 miles! The day before had been 31.13km, the two days prior to that were just under 15km each too! I've taken it much easier than that since then though, but by cripes no wonder the legs were screaming at me. Of course, as I'd only done 3.7km of riding on this trip a ride up to Plough Lane was pretty much mandatory! It's not really any quicker getting home overall, as I have to walk back from Plough Lane, but yeah, one last red-pen move of the day just had to be done!

As I edit this on 05/03/2020, I can add that I did indeed have a high-speed ride homewards on a winner bike. Would have been quicker if the traffic lights had been in my favour at one junction...I also had my weekly weigh-in, after a light breakfast and after a 2.88km intense ride. Despite my concerns, it was a rather surprising result with the numbers all better than expected. If that wasn't motivation to keep at it then I don't know what is...

No trip report next week as I have a very important dental appointment and I'm not going to want to go anywhere...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s probably fair to say that I’m a little bit behind when it comes to reading trip reports at the moment but I did enjoy reading this Tech.
I’ll put some time aside tomorrow to catch up with more of it (maybe I could self isolate?)...

The_Train

Established Member
Another good read whilst I ate my cheesy beans on toast earlier Tech as I made it to day 4 of your LA trip. I know I said I was intending to read through all of that but I got side-tracked by your railway outings posted on here - I just can't resist a train!

And talking of trains, wow those American loco's look beastly especially the older generation. I have to say as well, there is something that America seems to get right about a lot of their railway (sorry railroad) stations. They've seemingly managed to maintain that look you would expect of a railway station from many decades ago which is fantastic!

I have to ask though, did it feel any different riding on a train on the top deck?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Mr Train, it's a weird concept when you're not used to riding on the upper deck of a train. Feels odd, but at the same time a bit awesome too, it's a bit difficult to describe :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi everyone, I hope you're all well.

First of all, you may have noticed I've been away from the forum for almost exactly 3 months. My last visit was on 22nd March, but I'm not here to talk about that in detail. The short version of that story is that I decided to take a sabbatical from the forum for 'a few weeks' which turned out to be much longer than that. A PM from @The_Train saw a need to return to the forum to respond, but it was to wait. Now, on a short notice week off with suspected tendonitis, I have lots of time available. Too much of it...

So what's exactly my point here? Well I've never been good at telling a short story, so bear with me. Last night, after much thinking about it, I've decided it's time to end the chapter of my life involving trip reporting. In one form or another, and with some brief sabbaticals, I've been doing them since October 2004. This decision has been a long time coming, and this time I had no-one to persuade me not to stop the trip reporting. It's been a long time coming, and I do go into more detail on the entry I made for my blog this morning. Which is copy-pasted here too, as it only felt right to post on this thread too. It's just occured to me this thread is a little over 6 years old now. My good grief, that's nostalgia all on its own!

I wanted to post my final blog entry about it all here mostly because it's the trip reporting community here that got me started on it way back in October 2004. I'm not sure how any of us started doing them, but here we are over 15 years later and they still get made. The community may not be as huge as it once was, and obviously with the current world health crisis (I can't bring myself to refer to it by its actual names) trips can't be made. Soon though...

Before I post the main text, I'd just like to say thank you to everyone in the trip reporting community. Everyone who read my posts, everyone who responded, everyone who gave constructive criticism which helped develop my writing style even further. Finally, a massive thank you to everyone who put up with my ramblings, rants and tolerating the typos, sentence structure mistakes, over-use of photos and all the grammatical errors. I might be leaving the community, but I'll always remember my roots. This community has helped me become who I am today, and for that I will be forever grateful. However, it's time to end that chapter and see what lies in wait for me next.

The next chapter, it might be horrific in places, but it might be amazing. Who knows? Until the next time, I hope you're all safe and well, and we may cross paths again one day 8-)

So, to end this, here's the copy-paste from the blog:

"Oh there are so many titles I could have used for this post. There's a very good chance I'll have changed it multiple times during the typing of this.

So what's this all about, I hear you asking. Well first of all, I'll say this much, I'm grateful to everyone who read these trip reports over the years. I've been writing trip reports in various fashions since October 2004. There was a brief break in 2007 I seem to recall, and probably at least one or two other brief breaks that I can't remember for any number of reasons. I am well aware there's a small number of loyal followers, who've read all my trip reports. Some of you have provided feedback, positive and negative, and I'm always grateful.

For years these trip reports have been my main method of talking about my trips, whether they've been extremely enthusiastic railway marathon trips or adventures on the other side of the world. It's no understatement to say that for the last couple of years there's been a lot of self-discovery, a lot of re-inventing, and these trip reports will certainly have shown that. There's been a lot of ups and downs, and I'm nowhere near finished figuring out what I want to do.

That much has become very obvious during the 2020 world health crisis. As I type this up, I'm on a week off work with suspected tendonitis. I'm only on day 2 of that week off and while I've found plenty to get on with, while also maximising rest time and mimimising exercise, there's been a lack of enthusiasm to do a lot of the list. There's been way too much time already to think and analyse everything, and this is where this post comes in.

It's no shock to my regular readers that I've been considering ceasing trip report writing for a long time. Normally I end up getting talked out of it, and I normally say something about how I like having an output for discussing trips, that kind of thing. Well, this time it's entirely different, I've had months to toss and turn the idea around.

Occasionally I re-read some of my old trip reports, which also includes some from earlier in 2020. A lot of them make me cringe, it must be said. As I allude to in an earlier paragraph, there's a lot of self-discovery noted. Which is interesting to compare with current events. Even so...I think it's the typos, the incorrect sentence structure in so many places, the huge grammatical errors, the amount of factual errors made, not to mention how incredibly rambling most of the trip reports are. In short, despite what I thought at the time, I find most of my published trip reports embarassing.

So I'm calling time on my trip reports. After more than 15 years of writing them, it's a bit of a strange way to end things. Earlier in 2020 I would have predicted this series would all end after a massive few weeks away in 2021, after I finally finished conquering my bucket list.

That would have been the natural end to it all, typing up a summary of everything on the return from New Zealand. It's obviously not going to work out that way! I've not decided if I will actually continue exploring the rest of the world, there's been a lot of thinking about that too since the world health crisis put a stop to all non-essential travel. Even when trains, coaches and planes open up to leisure travel again, I'm not sure what I'll do. A month or so ago, I couldn't wait to get back on the move, but now I don't see the enthusiasm for flying to the other side of the world. I've even taken apart and put into storage my Jet2 Boeing 737-800 model...

Anyway, this is all becoming a long ramble. I will admit, I'm looking forward to less screen time while on an adventure, assuming they actually begin again. I'm not, however, looking forward to having one less thing to keep me occupied on a long flight. The odds are that I will return to travelling, once the world reopens and there's some form of normality again. There's also a good chance I'll return to trip reporting one day, although if I do it will be as an entirely new person, with a new format, in an entirely different place. I don't know, and nor does anyone else, how the rest of 2020 will play out. If I had known what would happen when I was in LA and Kraków in January 2020, I suspect I'd have made more of the adventure!

I can't complain entirely at the situation though. I've cleared my magic plastic from all the previous trips, and I have more than £1 in my savings account for the first time in years. That would not have happened without the current world health crisis, so I do have things to be thankful for.

I know this is getting to be a long read, so let's see if I can actually end this:

To all my loyal followers from over the years, I say thank you for reading. It's been a rollercoaster of an adventure, as I'm sure you will agree. There's been a lot of good bits, too many bad bits but I'm grateful you've all been there for the ride. This is where it ends though, it's time to move on. It's time to continue the quest to enjoy life in a different way, different to the majority of humanity, but no matter what happens I'll always remember where I've been and how I got to the present day. As much as I will semi-regularly try to fit in with the rest of humanity, the 'norms' as I like to call them, that never lasts long and I'll always make sure I do things my way. The Juliano way, the Techniquest way.

The World Frenzy may be over, but this is just the end of a chapter. The next chapter begins very soon, and I have a feeling there's a lot of pitfalls ahead. I also have a feeling there is something truely amazing due to happen. 2020 has been a strange year, it's been nothing like my expectations, but it has been noteworthy. So, let's finish this properly...

So long, farewell, auf weidersehen to my trip reporting era.

This blog. terminates here, all change please, all change. This blog terminates here."

EDIT: I forgot to add this bit:

Anyone who wants to follow my adventures on Instagram is extremely welcome to do so. @juliano_travels should be the correct name to find me under.

I currently semi-regularly post a photo once a day (if not more) from my railway and travelling past. I don't have a lot of photos these days, most of them have been lost to the depths of the Internet (Photobucket had a LOT of them, as did Fotopic) or they're in print form somewhere.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Tech, it's a massive shame to read this, I won't lie about that. I've enjoyed following your exploits around the world and have always enjoyed reading your reports, whether they be on here or on your blog.
And that leads me to the first thing I would like to point out to you - there is not one report that you have written that you should be embarrassed about. They are always well written, and as I have said many times, the detail included makes reading them a whole different experience. Many times I have felt as though I was there with you - I think that has to be the pinnacle achievement of any trip report!

These times we are in are scary, dark and most of the time very tedious (obviously I refer to the necessary lockdown there - don't want people thinking I am not being remorseful on those who have suffered most terribly during this time) and as you say it has given most of us pause for thought and a whole host of reflection and a whole host of thinking about where we want to go with our lives. I get your reasons for wanting to get out of the reporting aspect of things - there are many times when I've lacked the motivation to do it myself (albeit I actually enjoy it when I get round to it). I obviously found this community a little too late to fully enjoy it in its prime, although I enjoyed catching up on a lot of reports when I first joined, and even during my time on here I have noticed a downturn in activity in this section. The PM you received was one I decided to send out to people I had interacted the most with in this section because it is in this section that I learnt so much (and continue to do so) with regards to places to go, what to see and particularly split ticketing and other ways to save money on tickets - it opened my eyes to how few people do actually interact regularly (I think the fact that I have received so many responses to my reports skewed my mind a bit as most were from the same batch of people haha).

Anyway, I'm rambling haha. I'm 100% sure that once this situation has blown over (whether that be 6 months, 12 months or 24 months) you will find that desire to get on the big birds once more and I will always hope that you'll keep returning to the rails - even if it is just for your own enjoyment and not to worry about having to report on it :) Oh and I still want that tour of Hereford and Malvern at some point :D

Stay safe mate!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Tech, it's a massive shame to read this, I won't lie about that. I've enjoyed following your exploits around the world and have always enjoyed reading your reports, whether they be on here or on your blog.
And that leads me to the first thing I would like to point out to you - there is not one report that you have written that you should be embarrassed about. They are always well written, and as I have said many times, the detail included makes reading them a whole different experience. Many times I have felt as though I was there with you - I think that has to be the pinnacle achievement of any trip report!

These times we are in are scary, dark and most of the time very tedious (obviously I refer to the necessary lockdown there - don't want people thinking I am not being remorseful on those who have suffered most terribly during this time) and as you say it has given most of us pause for thought and a whole host of reflection and a whole host of thinking about where we want to go with our lives. I get your reasons for wanting to get out of the reporting aspect of things - there are many times when I've lacked the motivation to do it myself (albeit I actually enjoy it when I get round to it). I obviously found this community a little too late to fully enjoy it in its prime, although I enjoyed catching up on a lot of reports when I first joined, and even during my time on here I have noticed a downturn in activity in this section. The PM you received was one I decided to send out to people I had interacted the most with in this section because it is in this section that I learnt so much (and continue to do so) with regards to places to go, what to see and particularly split ticketing and other ways to save money on tickets - it opened my eyes to how few people do actually interact regularly (I think the fact that I have received so many responses to my reports skewed my mind a bit as most were from the same batch of people haha).

Anyway, I'm rambling haha. I'm 100% sure that once this situation has blown over (whether that be 6 months, 12 months or 24 months) you will find that desire to get on the big birds once more and I will always hope that you'll keep returning to the rails - even if it is just for your own enjoyment and not to worry about having to report on it :) Oh and I still want that tour of Hereford and Malvern at some point :D

Stay safe mate!

So much to reply to there, but I will try to do so in the next couple of days, or later, via PM. It will take me a while, and I'll need to charge my phone up before I reply properly!

What I will say right here though is that I appreciated that reply. I have just read your reply to my other PM, and that is what I will be focusing on first :)

alexf380

Established Member
I'm sure I've said this before but I always get excited when I see your thread in my unread subscriptions page! I hope you do stick around these forums, even if you're not reporting it would be nice to still have you commenting. Over the years (5 years since I started reporting myself!) you've given a wealth of knowledge to us and for that I am grateful. All good things come to an end, though, and I'm glad you've thought about it properly. Always welcome if you change your mind though! :lol:

If you're ever in Edinburgh and looking for something to do...I'll take you to Hive!

87electric

Tech,
All the best in what you do and how you do it. Remember, stay independent and don't get pressured joining in with "norms". Life is a challenge but make it work on your own terms for your own enjoyment.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've said this before but I always get excited when I see your thread in my unread subscriptions page! I hope you do stick around these forums, even if you're not reporting it would be nice to still have you commenting. Over the years (5 years since I started reporting myself!) you've given a wealth of knowledge to us and for that I am grateful. All good things come to an end, though, and I'm glad you've thought about it properly. Always welcome if you change your mind though! :lol:

If you're ever in Edinburgh and looking for something to do...I'll take you to Hive!

Thanks Alex, really nice to hear your comments :) Hope all is well your end!

I was going to respond by PM but the new layout on the forum has me lost trying to find it. There's the bit up the top, but I swear one could tap on a username and be given an option to send a PM from there. It seems to have gone, so I gave up on that and posting this reply publically instead.

One day, I will make it back to Edinburgh. It's been years since I was last there, but at the moment until I get these quads back to normal functionality there's no plan beyond each upcoming day. I've got a week off in October and I've no plans for it!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Tech,
All the best in what you do and how you do it. Remember, stay independent and don't get pressured joining in with "norms". Life is a challenge but make it work on your own terms for your own enjoyment.

Thanks! Yeah don't worry, I've had several days to toss and turn the pros and cons, and there's way too many cons to changing too much. A few minor fixes/changes, but they're still some way off. Other objectives to sort out first, and I've got a niggling feeling there's about to be a big change out of my control coming up.

If 2020 has taught me anything, though, it's that I was right to rush the completion of my Bucket List. It's not finished, there's still objectives to complete for that, but that's all to play for.

I'll probably come back to the forum in a more significant form eventually, although I must confess it's tempting not to. And if I do come back on a more permanent basis, it might be under an entirely new username. Who knows, I'm not planning anything beyond a day in advance at the moment!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Sir, do what makes you feel happy.

Your reports are always a good read, and personally I have had a ‘warm feeling’ from seeing how your voyage of personal discovery has progressed over the last few years, and my goodness how you have enjoyed your travelling.

As well as lots more of the world for you to to see, I sense there is more of *you* for you to discover, if that makes sense. Bon Voyage!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Now this is a return we all like to see :D
Welcome back @Techniquest - I hope you are well squire?

Pretty good thanks, couple of health issues I'm sorting out, mostly just from over-doing it at work. Otherwise one cannot really complain! I was going to PM you the other day, before that it was the other month, I'm so far behind on messaging people!

Famous last words ;)

Indeed, I was going to make a start before work. Then I woke up at 02:41 and decided to watch the paralympic road cycling since I was up. The idea being to go back to bed for a couple of hours after the medals.

Yeah, that plan backfired. I kept nodding off so didn't see too much in the end. Turned the TV off at the end of the race and went back to bed. Didn't even stay up to see the victory ceremonies for the races, let alone the next lot that were due to start a bit later...At least I saw some of it, which is more than I've done with most of the cycling!

Today's schedule is now work until 4pm, then a quick bit of shopping, back to base and get some typing done. I also need to clean the bike up ahead of next week, re-fit the pannier bag and fill it with clothes etc. So it's going to be a busy day!

The_Train

Established Member
Pretty good thanks, couple of health issues I'm sorting out, mostly just from over-doing it at work. Otherwise one cannot really complain! I was going to PM you the other day, before that it was the other month, I'm so far behind on messaging people!
Well as long as you're sorting them, that's the main thing. And don't worry about PMs, I've been exactly the same with people - you included. I think the last couple of years have just thrown us all off track (no pun intended) a bit but hopefully, slowly, we'll start getting back to normal way of living now (or as normal as possible anyway)

Established Member
Well hello there young sir. Good to see you on here and commenting on folks trips. We've all learned on you at times for a bit of your wisdom.
Hope to see you at least dip.your toe into the railway world again at some point, even if it was just for a leisurely plodge.
Keep smiling bud. Nice to have you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.