• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike99

Hi,
Great report again, thanks, you put at the start, getting gen of twitter, how do you do that, I use twitter but what are you accessing to get the gen that is helping you?
Regards
Mike

Kite159

Veteran Member
Problem with those cheap bed & breakfast lodges is checking the check-in time, I booked a cheap room in the Haymarket area in December, only to double check to see you needed to check in by 18:30! Soon cancelled and moved into a travellodge, a couple quid more than other hotels in that area, but appears to be within walking distance from Haymarket station, and doesn't appear to overlook a busy road out of the place or next to several nightclubs.

I can't remember the hotel I stayed in, in March in the Leith area, was quite nice, although another early-ish checkin required.

I will probably make a return to Scotland at some-point, to get some more scotrail units crossed off (and to do the Fyfe Circle Loco from Edinburgh rather than into Edinburgh)

Last edited:

Haymarket 158s sometimes end up on Inverness runs from Perth, GLQ etc etc and IS 158s come the opposite way. Same thing with the Aberdeen runs and so on. As long as they get a service at Inverness, Haymarket or Eastfield; they can stay away from home (more so in the case of the IS units) for a while.

Excellent day 2 report! I much prefer Scottish bashing to London. I always end up in a right faff in London and everything's too much to keep track of. I'm getting somewhere with my Scottish units and track now so I do enjoy nipping up every now and again. One of the best and cheapest ways to do units and units only (especially if you need rafts of 156s/158s/170s/334s) is to buy a week season between Edinburgh and Haymarket for £16 something. Obviously don't spend a week doing BSB's but it's useful for a few days. Could easily do something similar between Glasgow Queen Street/Central Low Level and Partick or Glasgow Central and Paisley Gilmour Street for the electrics.

I agree with one of your points in that the new concourse and glass footbridge at Haymarket makes things so much easier for bashing. I usually stand with P5 DMU/EMU (or NREA if so inclined) in hand at the top and just hover backwards and forwards waiting for a winner! Don't have to wait long usually and if something is missed, RTT to the rescue and a move can be planned for later!

Regarding your point about the 'long walk' at Edinburgh, ever done the P19 to Motorail move, takes bloody ages! :P

I only need 170394 out of the ex-Hull Trains set, I've had 396 many a time. I expect it may annoy you particularly that I've had many a mile out of 67007 and 67030, two of your last three skips. Saying that, I'm only on 11/30 so a long way to go yet!

Remaining for me: 22x 156, 24x 158, 31x 170

Looking forward to the next update!

Thanks

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Blindtraveler:1941004 said:
Havnt a clue! Its not a line Iv ever paid much attention to and discovered the other week that I havnt covered it, thought I had! Read your hotel review now, your v accurate

I covered it so long ago I have no record of what I had on it (should have been a 156, same for going up to Cumbernauld), which way I did it or anything! Must admit it's a bit of a forgotten line for me too, must make sure I get up there and fix the gap in my Quail after it's gone EMU!

Hopefully others will read the review and not book it now. An expensive lesson that was!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mike99:1941030 said:
Hi,
Great report again, thanks, you put at the start, getting gen of twitter, how do you do that, I use twitter but what are you accessing to get the gen that is helping you?
Regards
Mike

Hi Mike,

Glad you're liking the report :)

Put simply, I tweeted East Coast to ask them if they were able to inform me which HST power cars were on Inverness and Aberdeen services that day. They went and had a look and let me know the answer about 30 minutes later (probably less, I didn't get back on Twitter straight away). I would like to point out though it does depend on TOC and who's manning their Twitter desk, plus if it's a busy day for them (service disruption etc). Virgin, East Coast and FGW have done me proud in the past, but I still try not to ask if I can help it.

Of course, the more cranks we have on our followers (and the more we all follow back), the more chance of us all being able to share gen, even if it's just along the lines of a quick tweet going like "170634 1549 BHM-HFD". It's live gen (if like me you tweet a lot when on the bash!) and it may prove useful to others.
Kite159:1941035 said:
Problem with those cheap bed & breakfast lodges is checking the check-in time, I booked a cheap room in the Haymarket area in December, only to double check to see you needed to check in by 18:30! Soon cancelled and moved into a travellodge, a couple quid more than other hotels in that area, but appears to be within walking distance from Haymarket station, and doesn't appear to overlook a busy road out of the place or next to several nightclubs.

I can't remember the hotel I stayed in, in March in the Leith area, was quite nice, although another early-ish checkin required.

Aye you've got to be careful with some of the cheaper independant places full stop, but equally you can get a brilliant bargain sometimes too. Like my last minute decision to do The Retro Shakespearean Tug tour in August, the night before I found a bargain room for just £39 in Huddersfield. It was also pretty decent, no breakfast included mind but it was a pleasant surprise and I intend to use it again in 2015 for a West Yorkshire bash.

I will probably make a return to Scotland at some-point, to get some more scotrail units crossed off (and to do the Fyfe Circle Loco from Edinburgh rather than into Edinburgh)

I'd only ever done the Fife Circle turn between Haymarket and Edinburgh before this trip so it was nice to sample it before it potentially goes in the next few months. Although with Abelio taking over in March 2015 there could be some surprises!
37038:1941197 said:
Haymarket 158s sometimes end up on Inverness runs from Perth, GLQ etc etc and IS 158s come the opposite way. Same thing with the Aberdeen runs and so on. As long as they get a service at Inverness, Haymarket or Eastfield; they can stay away from home (more so in the case of the IS units) for a while.

Oh right, it sure would be interesting to find out which ones are likely to drop a 158 vice 170. I always forget about Eastfield, until I'm about to go past it lol.

Excellent day 2 report! I much prefer Scottish bashing to London. I always end up in a right faff in London and everything's too much to keep track of. I'm getting somewhere with my Scottish units and track now so I do enjoy nipping up every now and again. One of the best and cheapest ways to do units and units only (especially if you need rafts of 156s/158s/170s/334s) is to buy a week season between Edinburgh and Haymarket for £16 something. Obviously don't spend a week doing BSB's but it's useful for a few days. Could easily do something similar between Glasgow Queen Street/Central Low Level and Partick or Glasgow Central and Paisley Gilmour Street for the electrics.

The advantage here with a season being you can be out for the morning peak extras/strengthened trains too, rather than waiting for everything to go quieter at 0930. The idea of spending 7 days doing BSBs between Edinburgh and Haymarket made me laugh, not even I'm that mad! Certainly would be cheaper than several day returns, although I'd imagine they'd look at you a bit funny after the first few round trips in one day!

I agree with one of your points in that the new concourse and glass footbridge at Haymarket makes things so much easier for bashing. I usually stand with P5 DMU/EMU (or NREA if so inclined) in hand at the top and just hover backwards and forwards waiting for a winner! Don't have to wait long usually and if something is missed, RTT to the rescue and a move can be planned for later!

You can afford a Platform 5 book?! :shock: Aye I didn't have to wait long on any of my festers there (around 10 minutes at the most l'd say). I did use RTT to maximise my potential cranking at GLQ on day 4, but we'll come to that...

Regarding your point about the 'long walk' at Edinburgh, ever done the P19 to Motorail move, takes bloody ages! :P

I only need 170394 out of the ex-Hull Trains set, I've had 396 many a time. I expect it may annoy you particularly that I've had many a mile out of 67007 and 67030, two of your last three skips. Saying that, I'm only on 11/30 so a long way to go yet!

Not too sure where the Motorail bit is off the top of my head, but p19 to even p11 is long enough! It does slightly annoy me you've had tons off two of my last 67s, but at least I only need 3 of them :p It did help being on the Western for quite a while when the 67s were on regular work down there mind!

Remaining for me: 22x 156, 24x 158, 31x 170

Looking forward to the next update!

Thanks

Not bad figures, if memory serves (I'm without my NREA right now) I need 27 156s, 19 158s and 19 170s north of the border. 158s I'm really not sure on, but it's around that.

Day 3 will be started on shortly, now I'd best move it and finish getting ready to go to work!
Alrighty, it's the daily commute again so time to get cracking with Day 3 (at this time I anticipate this report won't be finished until Sunday or Monday, as I won't have peace and quiet on my commute tonight or after tomorrow morning's commute)!

09/10/2014 - Techniquest's Anglo Scottish Bash, Day 3

The alarm at 0630 was not welcome, confusing me somewhat for a couple of minutes! With a long busy day ahead though I needed an early start. The shower did a good job of de-rancifying me, it has to be said! Breakfast time and it's a continental affair. Mainland Europe does a continental breakfast properly though! Breakfast here is tea/coffee, toast, cereals, yoghurts and fruit. I've had far better on the continent (HEM Hotel, Amsterdam especially), but I made sure I had my fill and satisfied my stomach somewhat!

I stop off at the big Tesco in Leith, finding Monster Khaos for just £1. 2 cans of that sourced and a pop of Tesco Diet Cola for £2.55, cheaper than a coffee from most outlets! Having no exact change for the bus, I opt to walk to York Place to start the epic tram bashing. I didn't notice it last night, but Leith Walk is all uphill towards the city centre, so since I was wearing my fleece as well as my coat I was soaked with sweat by halfway along! Nevertheless, around 25 minutes later I was at York Place and armed with my Airport Zone Day ticket for £9. This covers both Lothian Buses for a day and the trams along the entire line to Edinburgh Airport. The day ticket for the City Zone (as far as Ingliston Park and Ride) is £3.50, a HUGE difference! Hopefully one day the trams will make it to Leith!

As my first tram of the day was showing as departing, I manage no photos here, but we leave a few minutes later on winner 264. Traffic is just mad up here, and the term "City of the Bus" is right, Leith Walk on its own is a bus spotter's paradise! I gave up bus spotting itself years ago, but I try to keep my toes dipped in the water, so to speak. I decide to bail at St Andrews Square for the first of many Shack Attacks. Here I have time to shove the fleece into the bag, must have looked a trifle odd seeing someone stripping their fleece off! I felt surprisingly warm with just the short sleeve shirt on, but it was inconvenient to not wear my coat too so it was back on. Next port of call, West End Princes Street on winner 254 (Shandwick Place in my Baker), and I noticed the trams are quite busy this morning. I hear later on this was partly down to some RTCs (Road Traffic Collisons) earlier and chaos on the buses.

A nice short wait got me back down the road to Princes Street on winner 257, which has to be one of the busiest streets ever for buses and a major haven for bus spotters! If I'd been noting all the Lothian Buses on my trip I'd have a pretty full book, same to a lesser extent for Stagecoach and First. It's over to Murrayfield Stadium on winner 259 for my next port of call, and I phot a tram coming off the bridge here. Balgreen next with 257, and the mainline runs right next to the trams here, so I planned to bail and get some photos. My sister chose that time to ring as she was bored at work, and wanted to make sure I was OK after hearing of my awful hotel experience. Off to Edinburgh Park Central next on winner 275, and it's just too far away to ID the stuff passing on the mainline. Ingliston Park and Ride is next with 266 scored this time, as the next tram is only a few minutes behind. Now to see what the fuss is about for the "premium" section to the airport on winner 256.

Imagine my shock when it's hardly any distance away! No wonder the trams are almost empty up this end of the line! The next tram out is on the opposite platform so I rush over in case it's due out straight away. A couple of photos taken from the doorway will do, and it's off at 1005 with 266 (I started the tram bashing at 0819) with my next stop being Gogarburn. It's a good few minutes before the next tram back down, and it's to Gyle Centre next with 256. I take advantage of getting a couple of photos of the depot from the tram, noting just one tram I needed for sight, the others being too far back to ID. Almost there for the stations on the tramline now, and I go to Edinburgh Park Station now on winner 271. Just as well as an Airport tram was due away shortly after which was winner 269, so back to Edinburgh Park Central to kill the time before the next tram back to town. The times of trams works out well here for me to go to Saughton with winner 268 next before returning to Bankhead with 257 for one last tram bash to Haymarket on winner 252. I get there at 1115, 2 hours and 56 minutes after leaving York Place. Almost all the track in both directions done (just need Princes Street to York Place eastbound and Haymarket to West End Princes Street eastbound, that can be done on another trip) and all stations done, with 11 trams scored off out of the 27 in the fleet. 16 of them seen too when including yesterday's sightings so not a bad result.

For some time now I had been in desperate need of some relief, so it was a huge sign of relief when winner 158722 rolled in to take me to Edinburgh. Halfway to Edinburgh I'm a lot better! Winner 170461 is on a Glenrothes service from p1, that'll do nicely as I need a good few stations on the Fife Circle! After consulting the timetable, I choose to bail at Aberdour (expecting that there wouldn't be much in Burntisland) in the name of getting lunch. I don't find much here, but the bakery smells lovely and I can't resist it. A sausage bap and large coffee came to £2.65, although I could have chosen much more! Alas, I didn't note the name of the place, but I recommend it. The bap could have done with being softer, and the bacon fresher, but it filled a big need for food and I would go back, as the service was also very good.

I knew winner 170474 was due up next, having seen it earlier going to Newcraighall and checking its next move in the timetable. Thankfully it stuck to plan and I score it up the road to Burntisland. My expectation of not much here was correct, although I do note the docks and some of what was probably once extensive sidings and activity. The next service to Edinburgh is a dud 158 so I opt to wait a few more minutes to head north. This was a good call after all, as winner 170434 took me to Glenrothes!

I opt not to continue around the circle and get double duds 158739 and 158871 back to Kirkcaldy, as I had seen a move more interesting in the timetable. There's an Inverness service due that's pick up only at Kirkcaldy that calls at Markinch, the furthest north on this side of Scotland I can go, and I'm glad I did it after all as winner 170409 is on it. With yet another Shack Attack done (I forgot to note these in Red Pen 2014, and who I nicked the term from! :oops:), it's time to head back south. Double duds 158728 and 158739 are on the 1402 Perth to Edinburgh, and I take them down to Haymarket. The rain has properly started now too, and I enjoy some tunes and my second can of Monster Khaos now.

For now gang, I'll have to end it there. Time to alight the bus and go to work. I'll try and continue this tomorrow morning!

Mike99

Great read again,

If anyone needs a reasonable b&b in Inverness I stayed at the Melrose Villa, £35.00 for a single including a huge breakfast, Kenny the owner is a great bloke, some of the reviews I notice are a bit whinging, but other than the first check in between 4.30 and 8.30pm he gives a key to come and go. I used this b&b as its only 10 minutes walk to Inverness Station, and I was then able to do Inverness to Kyle on the 09.00ish departure returning to Dingwall then the afternoon train up to Thurso, I had previously done Thurso to Wick separately, had some tea then had a £4.00 advance ticket on the X99 which leaves at about 7pm,Thurso back to Inverness, which is a Citylink service, it was the only way I could see of doing Kyle and Thurso in one day. So not back till 10pm ish, but had the key to get back into Melrose. Following morning Kenny served breakfast and said he was sorry he had burnt one slice of fried bread but he had added a extra sausage to make up for it, can't say fairer than that.

Keith Jarrett

There always seems to be at least 5 or 6 Inverness 158s floating around Edinburgh every day - they seem prevalent on the Edinburgh-Perth services as well as the one turn that Tech mentions on the Shotts route. I think one also ends up in Queen Street working to Anniesland and gets out on the back of a rush service to Aberdeen and is detached at Perth. There's a daily swap over between the peaks when a pair head north in exchange for a pair heading south. From memory northbound its the 10:36 ex Edinburgh and southbound the 10:45 ex Inverness. Once upon a time I did have the IS 158 diagrams - I'll see if I can dig them out.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think your correct Re the 158 turns to and from EDB, Does the evening one that goes to Perth carry on X to Inverness or Aberdeen? Good day 3 so far, well done on a tram trip report which unlike mine wasnt 1 long set of moans and grones :)
thankyou Techniquest!↲

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Keith Jarrett:1941471 said:
There always seems to be at least 5 or 6 Inverness 158s floating around Edinburgh every day - they seem prevalent on the Edinburgh-Perth services as well as the one turn that Tech mentions on the Shotts route.

There's a turn involving the 1118 Glasgow Central to Edinburgh via Shotts, or at least that was an Inverness 158 on Friday. Think that's the return working of the one I had the other way on day 2, which I believe was the 0926 Edinburgh to Glasgow Central via Shotts.

I think one also ends up in Queen Street working to Anniesland and gets out on the back of a rush service to Aberdeen and is detached at Perth. There's a daily swap over between the peaks when a pair head north in exchange for a pair heading south. From memory northbound its the 10:36 ex Edinburgh and southbound the 10:45 ex Inverness. Once upon a time I did have the IS 158 diagrams - I'll see if I can dig them out.

One of the Anniesland services was 158871 I believe on Friday, a later one was a 156 I think, and the 158 attached to the back of 170457 was 158725 on Friday. I believe it was booked to be ripped off at Dunblane (the 170 was due to go fast Dunblane to Perth I think, with the 158 picking up the stops. Either way, it definitely wasn't on Friday to stay on for strengthening as it was a very busy train (the guard not finding this out until Stirling!) that night.

Shall have to keep an eye on those turns next time I'm up there! Thanks for the gen!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Haymarket to Edinburgh is a good BSB as the majority of trains stop at Haymarket from Edinburgh (the FTPE services are pick-up only towards Haymarket, not sure if they are set-down only towards Waverley).

On a good day I think you can get
156; 158; 170; 220; 221; HST; 67s; 334; 380 & 390s, (with maybe 185s & 350s if they are not set-down only at Haymarket towards Edinburgh)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think they are pick up only at Haymarket, I didn't seem them advertised in the Edinburgh direction. Going to Manchester the call is advertised on at least the majority of the services I saw, if not all of them.

Kite159

Veteran Member
From Edinburgh they are pick-up only, first advertised stop is Lockerbie. Most likely they will be advertised at Haymarket towards Edinburgh.

I will keep that Melrose Villa in mind next time I'm in the highlands, the East Coast service pulls in around 8pm (baring any delays), so should be able to make it before the half-8 cut-off.

If a breakfast is included for free then great, if not then it's not the end of the world

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Today's commute to work is underway, and the last one where I have my own company this week so after this instalment I'll have to leave the rest until the weekend. In the meantime, let's finish Day 3!

Day 3 continued:

It's 1516 when I arrive at Haymarket, so still plenty of time before the planned evening moves. I therefore had planned first to do a shack attack at Livingston North, in a bid to at least start on the Bathgate route stations. Winner 334008 is on the case to get me there on the 1521 Edinburgh to Helensburgh Central, and it is a good thing I have quite a few minutes to change platforms as it's a long trip along the ramped footbridge to get to the road overdrive, through the car park and to the stairs for the Edinburgh platform. Dud 334021 takes me to Edinburgh with about 7 minutes until the Down Highland Chieftain was due in. This was one of the key moves this afternoon as the gen I'd received said 43274 had been on the Harrogate to Kings Cross in the morning to then work the 1200 Kings Cross to Inverness (43319 on maintenance so no chance of getting that one) today.

It rolls into p11 with a dud one on the front so with crossed fingers I walk towards the back to check the rear power car. Imagine my disappointment when I find 43277 instead! Scratch the plan to do that, although I did get my last East Coast buffet car, 40742, for sight on it. The 1630 to Glasgow is a pair of 170s and 170416 is on it which I need so that was a good call. Dud 170417 is banged onto the front and we leave on time for a BSB to Haymarket. I now need to get in place for the Fife Circle loco-hauled turn, getting me back to Edinburgh was winner 334004 leading dud 334035. 4 minutes later I was making my way from p10 to p19 (I was getting used to the route to/from every platform by now!) to meet blindtraveller for the evening.

I might know the routes to/from every platform now, but not via the lifts, as was evidenced by my choosing what I thought was a lift to p20 but was actually one to Princes Street! Whoopsadaisy! We go via the stairs instead and just as we come down them 67004 arrives with the ECS from Millerhill. Perfect timing! I had hoped for a loco change today, as I had had 67004 the night before, but no biggie. Once the doors are finally unlocked we find bay seats right at the front and are underway bang on time. It's time for some rather rateable Kopparberg Pear, which I must confess I had not yet tried but found most decent. I was surprised by the crowds at South Gyle, considering we were heading away from Edinburgh, and that we go non-stop through Dalmeny. For some reason I thought we went via Kinghorn not Dumfermline so I was happy to score the Fife Circle in the clockwise direction for the first time, as it also gets the crossover to the west of Glenrothes in which I needed (the other done on the XC HST in December 2008). We spend the vast majority of the trip talking about buses and trains, which was most welcome for me as I rarely get to talk about the hobby with anyone except through the forum.

The trip is most comfortable and a massive step change from the 158s and 170s I had spent a lot of time on up here, it also being one of the very few loco-hauled journeys I had done in 2014 thus far. Dalmeny loop is scored as booked, and before we know it we're terminating in Edinburgh's p19 at 1930. 4 minutes late tonight, 4 minutes early last night, just a bit of a difference! This time I get the lift to Princes Street for its intended purpose, unlike earlier, and we cross the incredibly busy street and join Lothian Buses' 630 (SN53 AVV) on route 25 for the trip along Leith Walk to Academy Street. Off to Wetherspoon and I was reminded that it's curry night tonight so my decision for food was easy. Choosing my pint wasn't so easy but I eventually settle for Stowfords Press cider.

With a most rateable meal enjoyed, we continue discussing the railways and buses around the country while enjoying a most decent drink. It's gone 2100 by the time we go our separate ways for the evening, and I walk down the road back to base camp for night 2 at Merith House Hotel. This time the window has not been left open, and while the bed was made the towel had not been replaced, left in the wet shower basin (!), the rubbish hadn't been taken out after I made the effort to keep it all in one packet as I had no bin and my teaspoon and mug were still in the same place and in the same condition I left them in. Not being funny but that's not good enough! If I had the energy to climb the 2 flights of stairs back up after complaining to reception, I'd have gone down there and demanded action!

As it was, I made do with the situation (at least they refilled my milk and sugar supply!) and made the usual phone call home. After a while I hit the hay on the uncomfortable bed and collapse into a deep sleep (by this time I had been awake for nearly 16 hours, after still having not caught up with the lost sleep on night 1) until the morning.

It was an absolute pleasure to meet you blindtraveller, thank you for your hospitality and hopefully I'll be able to meet you for a bit when you come down my way!

10th October 2014 - Techniquest's Anglo Scottish Bash, Day 4

Wow, Day 4 of 5 already?! I'm awakened by a text from my sister at 0715, so up and about 15 minutes earlier than planned. The shower today is less reliable than yesterday, meaning de-rancification took twice as long as it should have done! Breakfast is had as the same as yesterday (on neither morning did I fancy fruit) and back upstairs to fill the travel mug with coffee for the trip into town. Having packed almost everything up last night, it wasn't long before I head downstairs happy to leave and not return! Key handed in and I head to Tesco again this morning for supplies. I spend forever debating what pop to get, eventually deciding that even though my bag will now be very heavy today, I'll get two big bottles of Dr Pepper as it's on a BOGOF offer. Two cans of Monster also sourced and £3.85 well spent. I found I had the correct change in my pocket for the bus after all, but still get some more change anyway.

Lothian Buses' 628 (SN04 AAU) is on route 25 this morning, although I had been tempted to get the 31 (or was it 34?) to Gyle Centre to get over to Haymarket instead. Off I go to Waverley Steps on the 14 minute journey (only 3 minutes longer than last night despite the many stops and traffic) to get moving on the trains. Winner 170414 starts the day for a BSB to Haymarket, and I am flabbergasted to see, for a few minutes, no trains whatsoever here after the 170 had gone! An unusual event for sure! Winner 158740 is next for a trip to Fauldhouse for a shack attack.

Absolutely nothing here whatsoever, however I managed to note several trains and their next workings while here resulting in a longer stay on the Shotts line than anticipated. Dud 170436 (had I believe Glasgow Central to Kilmarnock on the epic Strathclyde Track Bash meet in 2006, yes that long ago!) takes me east to Wester Hailes, where I score a MPV for sight before getting winner 156506 back to Kirknewton.

Sorry gang but it's time to get ready to alight from the bus and go to work. I'll continue this at the next opportunity, although I confess I reckon that'll be Sunday or Monday now.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
It was a real pleasure to do this with you mate and enjoyed it very much. Glad you didnt use the 34 bus on Fri morning, no use for HYM That one, a 12 would have done you and a 25 also goes through!↲theres not many bashers I shouldnt think who would bale at Wester Hails but glad you covered it. Look forward to the rest of it when you get a chance.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good thing I didn't do that bus then! Aye not many cranks will ever visit Wester Hailes, or Fauldhouse for that matter!

I missed the post yesterday about Inverness and accommodation, hopefully I'll bear that in mind for my next trip to the Highlands :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was surprised at the crowds alighting at South Gyle when I did the morning loco service, quite a busy station.

Kristofferson

Thanks for the trip report so far, always a cracking read - im more of a train geek than a spotter but your knack for storytelling makes it interesting :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I was surprised at the crowds alighting at South Gyle when I did the morning loco service, quite a busy station.

You really don't expect it to be a busy place, although when Edinburgh Gateway finally opens it'll be interesting to see the impact it'll have on South Gyle.

Also, I like your new avatar (East Coast HST), at Carlisle isn't it? Been what feels like a billion years since I last went there, and my last trip through there last week I was fast asleep on the sleeper :lol:

Thanks for the trip report so far, always a cracking read - im more of a train geek than a spotter but your knack for storytelling makes it interesting :)

I'm glad you're enjoying the read these trip reports provide, always nice to hear apppreciation for the many hours these multi-day trip reports take to produce! :D

I managed to find time yesterday morning, after being rudely awoken an hour ahead of schedule, to finish off the write-up for Day 4 before I had to go to work, even though it meant missing breakfast until I got to town and hit Subway. Worth it though! ;) I'm going to carry on with Day 5, the final day, shortly as well so this will hopefully all be finished by lunchtime :) Oh, and if the final part of Day 4 feels like a long read, it is. Encompasses 3 pages in Word on font size 11! Don't want to think about how many pages it would take up in the entirety of the trip report! :shock:

10/10/2014 – Day 4 continued

Several observations are made here at Kirknewton before joining winner 156495 back east to Kingsknowe. I note that’s it’s not far on the map to Slateford by foot, which leaves me pondering over whether to do that or not for a few minutes. I eventually decide to stick with the plan and get dud 158740 west again, this time to Curriehill. There’s a hefty +41 here for the next train east, however it’ll be worth it if what I expect is working the 1218 Glasgow Central to Edinburgh. I also take the opportunity to get a photo of the now-old First Scotrail livery before the chance goes. Many observations are made here before an announcement tells me my train is 8 minutes late. “Oh for…what now?!” I think out loud, then I see why, a pair of 350s on a Manchester Airport to Edinburgh were late and got in the way. All forgotten when winner 158704 is got heading back to Haymarket, and I now need just Slateford to clear the stations from West Calder to Edinburgh, a very significant improvement from what I needed prior to this trip! Out comes the notebook after Slateford when we ground to a halt waiting for a platform, as I had a good few bits to add to it now. “If I get started on it now, we’ll move, if I don’t we’ll stay here a while” I think to myself, bored waiting for the path into Haymarket. Sure enough, as soon as pen touched paper the engines roar away! The plan now is to do some stations and 334s on the Bathgate route, I’ll return to the Shotts route on another trip.

I go like the clappers now at Haymarket to p4 though, as winner 170418 is observed on the 1345 Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen Street, jumping on board as soon as I hit the platform. Turned out I could have walked slowly as we waited for some time here before leaving 4 minutes late. Not that I’m fussed at the moment, I’m on board and I’ve got WiFi working to my surprise. It’s also time for some tunes and my second can of Monster Khaos on the trip to Glasgow, the first time I’ve headed this far west since arrival into Scotland 2 days previously! It turned out to be a good decision, but let’s not spoil that, unless of course you read all the tweets at the time ;) It’s not long before I’m back on the move (within 10 minutes!) at Queen Street with winner 170475 from the rather short platform 1 on a stopper to Stirling. It takes a while for me to muse over where to bail, Bishopbriggs was a possibility but I declined that and went for the option of going the whole way to Stirling. Bishopbriggs is where the train right royally emptied out, it had been rather full leaving Queen Street, and it is where I would have got winner 158741 back to Queen Street if I had bailed. Never mind, it’s about time I got some proper mileage going on! We arrive into bay platform 7, a winner for me and last time I was here, an ex-Wessex Trains 158 (in ex-Wessex condition inside and out I should add) was stabled in this one so it goes to show how long ago this was! It’s not all that long until a fast train to Glasgow Queen Street turns up (and I mean fast, as in non-stop) which is rammed. A few others and me manage to squeeze on with the others having to settle for the slow train instead. Winner 170452 is on this one, ex-Aberdeen and apparently it’s been rammed ever since Aberdeen! It’s blamed on it being a Friday night and the riggers being back on shore, so everyone’s off to Glasgow for a night out. It’s not even 1600 at this point, seems dreadfully early to me to hit Glasgow for a night out!
After a 28 minute non-stop journey (it was 44 minutes on the stopper, not quite as drastic a difference as I thought) I’m back at Queen Street of the North (the other one of course being Cardiff Queen Street) and a pair of 158s seen earlier, both noted on Eastfield depot as required, were currently buffer-blocking on platform 2. Excitement builds and I keep waiting to see what they’re going to work. After a while I give up working that out for now and head to Burger King. The eagle-eyed of you may have noticed I’ve not stopped for food in quite a while, not since breakfast. Not that I didn’t want food earlier, it’s just I couldn’t find much about anywhere at the places I had long waits at. Several observations are made in the meantime including a 1633 to Lenzie. Why it only goes to Lenzie I have no idea, and I see nothing in the timetable to suggest a return working. It produces a 156 today at least, so might be worth a punt next time I’m here. I sit down to eat my lunch and tea for a while, then with the 1648 to Dunblane being 156s. “What on Earth are these 158s doing here then?!” I wonder, after all they’ve been sitting here for over 30 minutes now if not longer. All of a sudden I think to check my NREA and see if I need 156433 on the rear of the Dunblane train (welcome to the Dunblane train! That’s a reference to the Anglo-Welsh-Scottish Bash of November 2004, which only certain people will remember. heart-of-wessex I think you’re the last one on here who’ll know it). I do, so my Burger King goes back in the bag and I attempt to navigate the barriers with my food and drink in one hand, the case in another with my ticket wallet and feed my ticket through. To my amazement the barriers don’t have an issue and I race up the platform to see what the other 156 is before we get going.

It turns out to be winner 156474, that’ll do quite nicely in place of the 158s! Right time departure and I can see why this train is a pair of 156s, it’s rather busy. As we head north I can’t help but check RTT to see if I can figure out what the 158s are doing. The only movement I can see out of platform 2 any time soon is the 1711 to Carnoustie, which I can do a leap on still for them, so that’s me most happy and time to finish my food. It’s an enjoyable run to Bridge of Allan, with the train having emptied out a fair bit by Croy (I can only assume Croy, Lenzie and Bishopbriggs are big commuter areas), by Stirling we could have all easily fitted in one 156. It’s time for another photo and, in addition this time, a video clip of the 156s leaving Bridge of Allan. They didn’t do much to begin with but the engines soon kicked in and sounded most enjoyable. It’s only an 8 minute wait for the Carnoustie train to get here (it had the advantage of running fast to Stirling, hence catching us up a bit) and sure enough it’s winners 158713 and 158716 this evening. It would be interesting to find out if the 1633 and 1648 off Queen Street are booked 156s and the 1711 booked 158s, as it would be well worth a punt another time. I should add I’m most grateful to 43094 on the forum for confirming which ones these were, as my notes and memory were most conflicting and confusing. Moves file said one thing, the observations file another and my memory something else altogether!

I’d noted by chance of being towards the front of the train (if I’d been in the back I’d have seen but not ID’d them), while on the 156s waiting for access to Larbert, 158727 and 158735 on an Edinburgh to Dunblane train and work out its next service to be the 1758 from Dunblane so I race over the footbridge to claim winner 158727 (those with good memories will recall this was my last 158 in the country to see a couple of years back) on a leap back to Stirling. Winner 170457 is noted rolling in with dud 158725 on the back on an Aberdeen and Perth service, which I’ve got to say looked a trifle odd on the screens. Into the 170 I jump and I discover the 158, normally ripped off at Dunblane, is staying on tonight for strengthening as it’s a busy Friday evening. I now want to go and see what did the peak-time Alloa train from Edinburgh (pretty much every other train comes from Glasgow) as it was a pair of 158s when I did it last. Dud 158867 and dud 158726 take me back to Stirling and I have 30 minutes to kill before the train to Edinburgh. It’s a good call going for this as it turned out, as winner 158732 was had on the back of dud 158734. Another Haymarket 158 down, good news! I’m on this all the way to Edinburgh, and as I write this section 8 days after the event I’m still annoyed I had to flag 170396 but I’ll hopefully get it next time I’m up here. It’s time for some tunes again to keep me going (note the lack of caffeine since the can of Monster on the way to Glasgow earlier!) on the long trip to Edinburgh on an all-stations run. 55 minutes after leaving Stirling, we reach Edinburgh at 2002, 1 minute late. Still a good bit of connection time into the 1530 London Kings Cross to Glasgow Central, and tonight it’s winner 91128 which is most pleasing! I’m on this move as I’m in dire need of charging my phone ahead of the sleeper journey home later, as there’s no chargers on that. It’s an enjoyable ride over to Glasgow, over before I know it though, and I got a good bit of charge out of the journey thankfully. We arrive at 2123, 2 minutes early which the guy that followed me off the train was glad of as he had only 8 minutes to get to the low level platforms! I wish him luck and see him running what feels like a marathon journey when in a rush.

I toyed with the idea of doing an Electric Run to Queen Street, this being Central Low Level to Partick then to Queen Street Low Level, both services being on EMUs hence the name Electric Run. However it was going to be ultra tight to make the 2148 off Queen Street High Level to Dunblane, as I know what my luck is like at Partick. Get to the eastbound platform and find the next train’s for Central not Queen Street. Doing the journey the other way around, it’s first train for Queen Street not Central! Once or twice it’s worked out the way I wanted it to but it’s more common for me to spend some time festering on the platforms. Which reminds me, I still need a 320 for sight, next time maybe eh? So I do the walk to Queen Street, and I swear 99% of the times I do this walk I get lost! Thankfully I ask someone and I’m not far away, with still plenty of time to kill yet. The 2141 off here is dud so I pop back into Sainsburys Local for some Fosters and chocolate doughnuts. The 2148 to Dunblane has produced a winner, 170478, which I’m incredibly happy with! Right time departure and I crack open a can of Fosters to celebrate the day, ending it on a winner is always nice. I also get on with updating my Quails a bit, and it’s then time for 2 of the 4 doughnuts, as I’m now rather hungry again. In all fairness, by then it had been around 5 hours since my breakfast/lunch so I did alright I reckon.

Right time arrival at 2244, and I go off in search originally of hot food but find The Riverside pub instead and pop in for a pint. Amstel’s £3.40 which I don’t have the change for so settle for a half, which is still fine at least as it got me out of the cold for a while. I also end up asking if there’s anywhere I can charge my phone, and they offer to do that for me behind the bar, which was most generous. I did first explain the situation of no chargers on the sleeper train and all that, so she was most understanding. I would highly recommend this place, very friendly staff and it’s quite nice inside. No idea what their food is like, but their pints weren’t that much more than Wetherspoon really (I used to pay £2.85 for Amstel there, so 55p more in an independent pub is most reasonable) and I shall be returning on my next visit to the area. After around 35 minutes later, drink finished well before then, I felt guilty about hanging around any longer without getting another drink so thanked the barmaids most sincerely for their help and went back to the station. Not even a 2 minute walk away, and I spot The Dunblane Hotel less than 30 seconds walk from the Glasgow-bound platform which has to be worth a go next time I’m up here. Another can of Fosters is devoured during the wait for the Inverness portion of the Down Highland sleeper to arrive, and every few minutes I noticed the time and how little of it I had before I officially started leaving Scotland! Dud 67021 rolls in with it and we leave 1 minute early at 2354, myself being the only passenger boarding tonight. By the time we reach Edinburgh at 0111 the Aberdeen and Fort William portions are already combined behind the 90, which tonight is dud 90028. I knew it was a lot to expect the 67 or 90 to be required, never mind! 0133 and the shunt moves are finished and we’re under way again, with myself well overdue some doss now I’ve finished all 4 cans of Fosters!

EDIT: Day 5 follows below, finally got this lot finished 6 days later than planned!

Mmkay, it might have taken me about 75 minutes to type up, including breaks for coffee and such like, but Day 5 is done and is below. A 3.5 page job this was, so again if it feels like it's a long read it is!

11/10/2014 – Techniquest’s Anglo Scottish Bash, Day 5

I honestly cannot believe how quick the last few days went, even the lengthy festers at rural stations like Fauldhouse went quick! During the night I wake up a few times, totally oblivious to my surroundings for a few moments each time, and I think I noticed heading south through Carlisle and somewhere else, wondering why we were heading south. Of course we’re heading south you *insert colourful language here*, I had to tell myself on each occasion, we’re going to London! I awake again a good while later, I believe it was just before Wolverton. I’m still yawning away a fair bit but decide it’s time to start shifting soon after. I do like that we were on the fast lines though, that was a nice surprise. Non-stop through Watford Junction too, that was even better. It must be one of the only times ever (and this includes when the FGW sleeper was MK2s on the seated sleeper, and that’s a trip down Memory Lane to June 2004!) that the MK2 noise – if you don’t know the noise I’m on about, it’s that hissing sound and some other sound they make when they’re braking – didn’t get on my nerves during the night while I was sleeping! A miracle although I do also attribute that to the copious amounts of alcohol consumed to knock me out. I hadn’t remembered the ear plugs so if I’d been totally sober I’d have doubtlessly had a rather different experience!

Arrival is at 0742, 5 minutes early, and I take the opportunity to get a few photos of the MK2 seated sleeper coach, MK3 sleeper coach and 90028 at the front, in case the opportunity doesn’t arise again. I only have 5 hours to crank in London, where on Earth do I start? I have an incredible amount of requirements on the mainline routes, let alone the Underground or London Tramlink lines. I go get my travelcard and have a stretch of legs before joining winner 378255 on the 0757 to Watford Junction. I reason that, with the announcement this week of new Tube stock due in the next few years, it wouldn’t be a bad shout to get going more on the Bakerloo line’s 1972 sets. I don’t need that many of these anyway, or so I thought before counting them up. I needed a lot more than originally expected, that’ll change today! I was going to leave the 378s until they all came back with their new carriages to make them 5 coaches long, as it’s widely expected they’ll be renumbered again (for those new to the scene, the 378/2s were renumbered from 378/0s when they went from 3 to 4 carriages) however if they don’t then at least 378255 is now in the book. Talking of, I could have sworn this one went to the works for its new carriage a while ago, never remembered that at the time and didn’t check. Extreme “D’oh!” moment there for me!

Queens Park and it’s time to hope for the right sets to turn up today. As it’s a Saturday, it’s going to be a case of lots of sets on depot. The first pair I find a winner on (the first two lots were double duds!) is dud 4-car set 3345 and winner 3-car set 3435, on I go then! I end up bailing at Warwick Avenue, not because I need the station as they’re all done on the Bakerloo line since Tuesday, but because it seemed a convenient place to crank at. I’m here for 11 minutes all in, noting the odd winner going north through the link to the other platform here, when double winners 3254 and 3463 roll in, I can’t turn those down then! Off to Edgware Road next, as I’m not certain where my best place would be for further cranking now. It’s only 3 minutes here before double winners 3299 and 3433 roll in, off I go then counting my lucky stars that I’m having some good luck this morning so far! I’m not certain how best to report the numbers on here, so I’ve gone for the end cars on sets for this (and others) line. The S stock and the Victoria line stock is different, as will be noted further on, but with those I note the 21xxx number on each set (S stock) and 110xx number on each set (Victoria line). If anyone can think of a better way to report these off, let me know. Another 5 minute wait at Oxford Circus gets me dud 3233 and winner 3465 for the BSB to Piccadilly Circus. Another wait, this time of 4 minutes, gets me dud 3258 and winner 3467 (the eagle-eyed of you will notice a lot of these winners are the 3-car sets of 1972 stock, thanks to my poor records on the Underground over the years) gets me down the road to Waterloo for another BSB. My memory tells me there’s a McDonalds here which will do nicely for breakfast this morning. After just short of an hour of cranking already this morning, and having not eaten yet, I’m starving!

Where on Earth it is then I have no idea, I couldn’t find it after much looking. I’m far from happy, Waterloo’s too much like St Pancras now, all these expensive shops that charge the sun and moon for anything at all. The new shopping complex up here in Hereford, The Old Market, is like that too. Far too much that the common man can afford, and since the council also cut back almost every bus after 1800 the place is deserted in the evenings as none of us can get home if we don’t drive or live in town. Oh well, at least it’s less of an eyesore than the former cattle market was! Anyway, I give up looking for food and manage to find Costa so they’ll be my saviour this morning! I find an exit I’ve never seen before, and now I’m armed with my large Americano I need to find a move as by now I have 4 hours until I need to be on the train homeward bound. I eventually find a winner that I can do, which was 455874 on the 0922 to Weybridge. The 455s were another class undergoing modifications that I was going to leave alone until they’re all renumbered, should that actually happen, but this Western man felt like he was on foreign territory and wanted to get away as soon as possible! Anyway, I’m off to Queenstown Road (Battersea) as it’s a required shack and hope it’s not too long to wait for the next train back out of here. It’s only a few minutes fortunately, but this provides dud 455919 for the leap back to Vauxhall, my ticket away from the LSWR. This 455 now has a status of Super Dud, as I’ve now done each of the 4 coaches on this one at various times. Not an awful lot of trains that have Super Dud status, although all the 175s have been Super Dud for years. I haven’t worked out what status an MU would get for being dud, all coaches (where relevant) done and cleared it for the magical thou, that’ll wait until I get an MU over that 1,000 mile target. I have got a few HST power cars cleared for that though, hmm, something to ponder when I’m bored at work next…

Onto the Victoria line and away from foreign territory, and I score double winners 11091 and 11092 for the trip to Warren Street. The Victoria line is another line with all the stations visited, but I had a niggling doubt about Warren Street so it’s definitely done now! I end up scoring double winners 11077 and 11078 for a BSB back south to Oxford Circus. Next, it’s another BSB with double winners 11093 and 11094 to Green Park. Time to belt it north, as by now it’s 1000, 3 hours until I’m needing to be at Euston for the train home. It’s time on this run to Highbury and Islington to fix an error in my Tube moves recordings and score winner 11087 and dud 11088. I had forgotten the Great Northern line from Moorgate was closed at weekends, good thing I only had to wait 7 minutes for double winners 11079 and 11080 for the BSB to Finsbury Park. Finally back above ground, I have text messages to answer and send, just as well I have a few minutes before the first northbound 313 is due then! It’s also noticed just how very quiet it is here compared to Tuesday, very little running anywhere. I must make sure I come back here on a weekday next time! Winner 313024 brightens up the day for my first mainline move since the 378, now just short of 2.5 hours ago! It’s a BSB to Harringay, and it’s dud 313054 leading winner 313059 back to Finsbury Park. Double winners 365534 and 365502 take me down the road to Kings Cross, and the crowds getting on an East Coast MK4 set are really making it difficult for the big crowd on the 365s to get past. I find winner 365511 is on a stopper to Cambridge, leaving in a few minutes, so I race over and get on that for sure. A 317 is noted in the distance on its way to Kings Cross, and as soon as I reach platform 4 for it (from platform 2), it’s been switched over to platform 2! It was dud 317341 anyway, so I wait for the pair of 313s due down. Good call as it turned out, winner 313058 leads dud 313030 for the trip back to Kings Cross. How many more times will I have the pleasure of doing a 313 to/from Kings Cross I wonder?

I need to figure out a move now, as its 1139 when I get to Kings Cross so too early to go to Euston yet. I pop back downstairs, after much pondering, to the Victoria line to carry on scoring Victoria line stock. Double winners 11059 and 11060 are scored for the trip to Tottenham Hale, a 10 minute journey on here but would have been much longer doing the Tube to Liverpool Street and heavy rail forward. I have a 13 minute connection as it turns out for a fast train to Liverpool Street, the 317 before it calling at Hackney Downs was dud so I was fortunate the 379 behind was winner 379008! It’s just a 13 minute ride to Liverpool Street, and I’m now in a rush as it’s 1231 and much to my surprise it’s onto double winners 21101 and 21102 on a Metropolitan line train to Chesham within 2 minutes of getting off the 379! I’ve never had that luck on the sub-surface lines before! 10 minutes later I’m at Euston Square at 1243, 30 minutes until my train leaves Euston and I still need to have a meal yet. I’m at Euston just over 6 minutes later, and I was going to do Burger King (I was going to do McDonalds at Liverpool Street but didn’t expect to have any time to spare for that) but I settle with The Pasty Shop. A gigantic pasty with Bite Card discount came to £4.49, and a can of Monsters from Sainsburys Local for £1.55, that worked out cheaper than Burger King at least!

Dud (obviously, if you’ve read all my past trip reports ;)) 350126 is on the 1313 to Birmingham New Street, and quite a few of us, myself included, are waiting by the doors for what felt like ages, waiting for the doors to be unlocked which they finally are at 1310. First Class is quite busy this afternoon, although one girl got kicked out for having a Standard ticket. I’d have offered her the upgrade if I had been the guard, although whether it was worth it for her I have no idea. With her eliminated from First, we all had more room to spread out and I could now have a forward facing seat as I wanted. We leave 1 minute late and start flying up the fast lines before we have to cross back to the slows just before Leighton Buzzard. During this trip I realise just how much I haven’t wrote my trip report up in my notebook, the task is so daunting I don’t touch it, enjoying some music instead and getting my NREA and ST Publications books up to date. That in itself took quite some time to do! Before I know it, we’re back in Birmingham arriving at 1520, 3 minutes late. I have a wander around and see works on the tram station outside New Street station are progressing well. Before I know it, it’s time to walk over to platform 12b for the 1549 to Hereford, which has 170634 on it today. It’s the last train of the trip sadly, and obviously another train of Super Dud status, which the entire LM 153 and 170 fleet have been for quite a long time now. I can’t believe I’m now on the way home, it’s gone far, far, far too quickly. I spend some time now tweeting and texting, before updating my Required EMUs and Required DMUs counts, the former now finally under 1,000 (until the new lot start arriving of course!) and the DMUs on 274 I think. Some very good progress this week that’s for sure! I was blown away when I saw 37175 in Colas Rail colours at Kings Norton, I needed that one for sight so rather happy about that!

I also tot up my winners for the trip, which came to a massive 137 all in (trams, Tube and mainline trains, not including the HST trailers that is though). 36 required stations, 2 winner buses and 1 winner coach. I guess my mileage would hit around 900 on this trip at the time, but since then I’ve processed all my journeys into RailMiles I can reveal the figure was a most surprising 1,600 miles and 28 chains! Very happy indeed with that, a figure that’s sent my 2014 total through the roof and I’m now well ahead of my target for the year so far! Even this leg of the journey back to Hereford goes well fast, and I’m getting a lift home tonight which was an epic win tonight. A stop at the chippy was most welcome, as I was now rather hungry (it was well gone 1800 by now, as we’d gone and picked up my sister too) since I had finished my breakfast/lunch around 1325.

I had an absolutely amazing trip, which over the 5 days cost me almost £330 all in (food, drink, other supplies, hotel and trains) which is not bad at all. Apart from the Megabus Gold ‘experience’ it was a fantastic trip, with so many winners, plenty of required stations and some fantastic company on the Thursday night with blindtraveller. £330 for 5 days of heaven is exceptional value, it must be said. I could have made it better only if it had been a 7 day ALR, and if I hadn’t had the Megabus Gold ‘experience’. Edinburgh Trams are finally covered too, something I’ve been planning to do for months so I’m glad I happened to choose to go to Scotland on this trip. Bring on the next epic adventure, indeed bring on my return to Scotland in 2015!

Stay tuned next week for mention of my next trip, I have a hunch I'll be creating a thread to hunt down some gen for it. Tickets and hotel are booked for the next epic adventure, although this will be much shorter than the last trip sadly. All I'll say for now it's about time I filled up that massive blankness in my NREA! ;)

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Truly amazing report and fantastic to meet you at last and share some qualitty time, a good drink and nice meal plus another skip bashing exkertion on the Fife Circle. Looking forward to your next adventure!

Mike99

Excellent read, thanks for posting,

If it helps at all I can walk from GLQ to GLC without problem in just short of ten minutes, the other way round form Central to Queen Street I struggle to get the right route always seems to take longer and I always seem to land at up at Queen Street from a different way!!,

Kite159

Veteran Member
Aye, it be the rear end of the diverted Aberdeen to Kings Cross service (when though around 14:20), I did try and get a couple pictures of it arriving, but they weren't the best.

MacDonalds at Waterloo is down the stairs (which are opposite the P7/8 area I believe) opposite the entrance to the Jubilee line platforms, isn't on the main concourse, and is a bit mental at times as there is no proper queuing system (unlike the Burger King hiding behind WH Smiths).

Excellent read as always Sir, I find the doors on the London Midland services are locked for longer than expected (I believe it's the 7:47 (or 43) departure from Euston to Crewe where the doors are not opened until a couple minutes before departure with a mad rush to secure a prime seat.

Last edited:

Established Member
A very good read indeed Techniquest, enjoyed it thoroughly. In fact there's been some very good trip reports all round on here. Certainly saved me buying a book from Amazon:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

postye

Great report there Techniquest.
Seeing as I have trouble sleeping in the berths on the Cally I think I'll give the Megabus thing a very wide berth.
I learnt from experience on my ALR that It's quite surprising how long to takes to type up these reports, if I hadn't had my Ipad with me I'd still be doing mine :D
I was going to point out the McD's at Waterloo was downstairs bit see Kite has beaten me too it.

Looking forward to reading the next instalment

StripeyNick

Just read your report covering S.Wales and just so you know, Margam to Tondu via Parc Slip is still in existence.........and is being used for diversions in the New Year.........and the Maliphant Sidings at Swansea are where the new IEP depot is going to be I believe.

Keeps the reports coming. They are a superb read. Just added you on Flickr btw. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cheers all for the responses, things have been so hectic lately I've not had time to reply! Glad you've all enjoyed the read, I did enjoy typing this one, and I'm amazed how much of it came from memory with the help of the moves in my notebook! And if it's saved fellow cranks money on books then that's even better *gets idea to publish these reports* :lol:

Hopefully I'll remember where McDonalds is next time I'm at Waterloo, maybe I should have asked someone that morning but I blame being in a rush to do as much as possible!

As for StripeyNick's gen, nice one! Would you be willing to PM me details? It sure looks like I'll be popping down to South Wales in early 2015 :D

Kite159

Veteran Member
I think I will also be popping to South Wales as well.

With McDonalds in Waterloo, just remember there is a Sainsburys the other side of the road ;)

StripeyNick

Don;t get too excited guys. Tondu diversions will be freight only. They usually replace train services with buses.

It's been years since passenger services were diverted that way.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Don;t get too excited guys. Tondu diversions will be freight only. They usually replace train services with buses.

It's been years since passenger services were diverted that way.

Shame, but we'll see. There's always a chance some passenger trains will go that way too, if so I'm definitely popping down.
Thanks for the entertaining read, looking forward to the report for your next bash :)

Thanks, next bash is on Friday and Saturday :) Followed by the epic Sweden trip 13 days after I get back from the West Coastway, which is then followed 3 and a bit weeks afterwards by my epic 30th birthday cranking spree. That one I have no idea where I'm going yet, full details will be unleashed in late November or mid-December.

Already starting to plan 2015 as well, although again no details on those yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.