• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Got a lift to work this morning and had no opportunity today to carry on. Way too tired after an insane bit of graft today to carry on tonight, if I get a chance tomorrow I'll carry it on then. Glad you're all still enjoying the read, and all I'll say for now is Day 2 got better towards the end. Stay tuned to find out how!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just as a heads up to you all, I'm too busy at the moment to get this finished. I will do before the year is out though! I've got the photos uploaded to Flickr, so when I can get on the laptop again I'll get cracking on with it.

I expect the earliest I can start work on it again will now be next Monday, although obviously if the opportunity comes up in the meantime I'll do some more then.

Finally for now, as I head into town on my day off to finish my shopping for Christmas and then to work for 3 more days of hell, stay tuned for my Review of 2014 thread! I'll be linking to it here in this thread when it's ready!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sorry all, no more updates to this lot yet! I'm currently not expecting to get even remotely close to finishing this for a while, if I can then I'll be as shocked as all of you!

My Review of 2014 is also delayed, that'll be added to this in a much briefer format than I was going to do originally. In the meantime, I present to you all my current list of trips I'm planning to do at various points in 2015, and some of them will be repeated at least once:

Merseyrail Saveaway
Greater Manchester Rail Ranger
Greater Manchester Wayfarer
Lancashire Day Ranger
South Pennines Day Ranger
South Yorkshire Day Travelmaster (or whatever it's actually called!)
Derbyshire Wayfarer
London Day Travelcard
Southern DaySave
Kent Rover
North West 4 in 8
East Midlands Day Ranger
East Midlands 3 in 7
Tyne and Tees Day Ranger
Tyne and Wear Metro day
Metrolink day
Glasgow Roundabout
SPT Daytripper
WMDR
NWM Daytripper
Central Scotland 3 in 7
Visit to Dublin (this is going to be a norm trip though, if I can work it out)
A return to Scandanavia for the Northern Lights
Anglia Day Plus
Anglia 3 in 7
Cheshire Day Ranger
Kennet Day Ranger
Thames Rover 3 in 7
Visit to Bristol (mostly for things like the 150/9s)
Devon Day Ranger
Ride Cornwall
Freedom of Severn and Solent 3 in 7

As I've mentioned, some of these will be repeated at least once, for example the WMDR. I'm due off work for a week in February, which I need to double check as soon as I can, so a few of these plans will be getting knocked off the list in one trip. Which ones I will do I have no idea, although I have spent a fair bit of time this evening saving a copy of the various maps onto the laptop in a bid to make a firmer plan. Hotel availability will play a big part in what goes on when I suspect!

Without a doubt there will be other stuff that comes up too, for example I plan to have a major shack attack on c2c, but sadly there's no day ranger for that.

Of course, before all that the rest of the festive season needs to be got out of the way first, then the first trip of 2015 on 5th January will be here! That needs proper planning ASAP!

Kite159

Veteran Member
major shack attack on c2c, but sadly there's no day ranger for that

Agreed, unit wise you can bash them within the London Zones (West Ham [I think is an Island platform] to Limehouse or Barking), but for shacks you probably need to do a multiple breaks trip.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Agreed, unit wise you can bash them within the London Zones (West Ham [I think is an Island platform] to Limehouse or Barking), but for shacks you probably need to do a multiple breaks trip.

Indeed, I haven't yet figured out the best way to do it, but I will get there eventually! However it's equally likely I'll scratch off North Fambridge before Laindon!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mmkay guys and girls, following a massive session of updating my RailMiles page, I've now added photos to the previous section of Day 2 (I didn't take any on Day 1), and now I think it's high time I got on with a bit more of Day 2 before the memory fails, even with the help of my notebook!

14th December 2014 - Techniquest's 30th Birthday Crank Spree, Day 2 CONTINUED!

It now being 12 days later, almost to the minute, I can't be certain if I had originally been planning to do an early tea or not, but certainly I was still in the mood for more winners and more shacks got out of the way. It was the last trip of the year, I needed to make it as awesome as possible! Somehow I ended up on superdud 156436 on the 1612 to Kilmarnock, after one massive run to jump onto what was a very busy 156 already and got much busier after I got on! On the way to Barrhead, I figured I'd best check when the next train back was, and upon reading that I had a +55 at Barrhead my heart sank. What on Earth would I do there I wondered. Well I had figured I'd go looking for an early tea, so it was an ATM move first. Then I saw how much they wanted for a small chips, £2. Absolutely no way am I paying that! Everything looked outrageously expensive in the two takeways I looked at the menu for, so I change plans and head into the pub near the station instead and get myself a pint of Tennants, which I've never tried. £2.85 in an independant pub seemed quite reasonable, given my average pint in my local Wetherspoon is £2.40-£2.85. A most enjoyable pint had, it was soon time to head back to the station.

ScotRail operated by First sign by 43002, on Flickr

156436 takes me back to Glasgow Central, at least it's decent motive power! 15 minutes later I was back at Centraal and looking for my next move. I needed 8 314s so I was keen to make a dent into that! So imagine my extreme surprise and joy when I ended up finding double winners 314207+314209 on the 1750 from Centraal! Naturally I double check the numbers several times, just to be sure, in the NREA and jump into the motor coach for some classic BR EMU noise to Bishopton! <D

314209 at Glasgow Central (High Level) by 43002, on Flickr

314207 at Bishopton by 43002, on Flickr

http://youtu.be/M0ywZr_Lsh8 - Video aboard 314207 and 314209, can't remember how to embed on here!

http://youtu.be/U5WvWiBFIpA - Video of 314207 and 314209 departing Bishopton

I have on-board video clips of the most welcome noise, as well as some departure videos, which will be uploaded eventually [These are now being added, just a couple left to do - Ed]. Very much enjoyed the noise all the way to Bishopton, which was as far as my Roundabout ticket would cover me. Thankfully it's not too long until the next Glasgow train, which was another amazing surprise, double winners 314210 and 314203! Another fast train back to Glasgow and of course it was back to the motor coach for some most welcome noise! 4 winner 314s in no time at all, and on some fast running where they could really get going? Absolute magic! :D

380005 and 314210 at Glasgow Central (High Level) by 43002, on Flickr

Back at Glasgow it was of course time for another photo stop, then it was to Burger King for tea as I was very hungry by now! My usual meal devoured, it was time to decide on another move, as I deemed it too early to retire to base camp yet. Of course, I wanted more 314s as well and I just happened to bump into winner 314212 on the 1908 to Newton. Winner winner chicken dinner!

318258 and 314212 at Glasgow Central (High Level) by 43002, on Flickr

Of course, I was after some winner shacks too, so I get off at Croftfoot and the journey was over before I knew it. I'd done a couple of tweets and texts, then looked up and it was almost time to get off! I've got 25 minutes here before the same 314 returns to Glasgow, and I start planning my next moves with help from the timetable poster and RTT. I end up getting 314212 back up the road to Kings Park, which then cleared Centraal to Newton via Queens Park, that'll do nicely. Dud 314214 is up next for the trip to Newton, by now I was in dire need of using the facilities which was a big factor in the planning of this evening's moves! So what do I get back into town? Double duds 320308 and 320317 AGAIN! This is the FIFTH time in one day I got these two, and by the time I got off them at Partick I was more than happy to see the back of them for the day! I should also have a video clip from on-board these two for the motor noises, and I'll link it in when I've got it uploaded. [See below - Ed]

http://youtu.be/ku8HGXt-riY - Video of 320308 and 320317, filmed from on board the pair, somewhere in the tunnels underneath Glasgow I believe

The last move of the day is up next, and tiredness is kicking in. It's been a long and busy day on not much sleep, but a very good one too. By now I've been on the rails for over 12 hours, not bad on a £6.30 ticket! I was going to stock up on supplies, but my memory of the area was not as good as I thought, so didn't end up doing so. I had some stuff with me thankfully, and my last train of the day falls to a Partick to Charing Cross (Glasgow) move. Would I score a winner to end the day, I couldn't help wonder, as it's a Cumbernauld service and I've not exactly seen what's on these today. Sure enough, it rolls with 320304 and I check the NREA which confirms it's a winner. Excellent news, very happy about that! I would have been happier with 320305, my last SR passenger train to see, but this will do nicely!

Google Maps makes Charing Cross Guest House look like a really long walk from Charing Cross (Glasgow) station, but it's less than 10 minutes and this was including a walk up a very steep hill. Check in is not at all complicated and I'm soon walking upstairs to my room. The corridors are in need of modernisation, but my room is clean and tidy, not terribly small except for the bathroom. That's just about big enough for one person, nothing more but could be better still. This place is only on a small minor street so no noise outside much to my pleasant surprise. The beds are fairly comfortable, although if there was WiFi I couldn't get onto it. The TV was of a decent enough size for the room and the heater was most welcome! Overall I was already satisified enough to know I will be coming back here on a future trip.

All the usual evening procedures when on a trip away are done, and before long I'm watching some American Dad to unwind a little before collapsing into a deep sleep. A very productive day all in all, and I managed 148 miles in a little over 12.5 hours, 48 miles above my target for the day :D I set a target of 300 miles for the following day, would I hit it? This trip report will soon reveal that!

http://youtu.be/OTnxqFyzyA4 - Video of 380022 departing Whinhill

http://youtu.be/2_1bhK2b0j0 - Video of 314216 departing Branchton

(More of the epic tale to come later, I'm taking a bit more of a break first)

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Even though the hotel is a stones throw from the motorway, thankfully the noise of the motorway is mostly covered by the tunnel, if you have a room which overlooks the main-road with the window open than you can hear the low noise of traffic.

Has more character than the premier inn nearby anyhow.

I guess the 314s are slowly getting repainted into the Scotrail Blue

noddy1878

Established Member
Good going on the 314s. I still need a fair few of them and hopefully will make a dent in the new year.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I agree Kite159, not bad at all. Prefer the Premier Inn for the out-one-door-into-another sort of thing for cranking though!

I'm hoping to finish my 314s, 318s and 320s on my next visit to Glasgow, shouldn't be too hard as that's only 7 EMUs across all those classes! The morning commute has me some peace and quiet this Saturday, so I'm going to start on Day 3 while the opportunity is there! Photos will be added at the first opportunity.

15/12/2014 - Techniquest's 30th Birthday Crank Spree, Day 3

View from my hotel room by 43002, on Flickr

Hotel room by 43002, on Flickr

Hotel bathroom by 43002, on Flickr

Charing Cross Guest House front by 43002, on Flickr

0719 and I'm up ahead of the alarm, de-rancification time ahead of a very long day! Preparations for departure seem to be taking forever today, but soon enough I'm going downstairs for my breakfast which was included in the price of the room. Beans, bacon, sausage, some flat thing I'm assuming was potato as that's what it tasted like was consumed off my plate. The mushrooms, tomatoes and egg I don't like so left alone. It's Tchibo coffee out of a machine so not what I really wanted but it'll do! Yoghurts and toast, not to mention orange juice, were also devoured and I left feeling most satisfied and set up for an endurance day!

The walk to Charing Cross station only takes 7 or so minutes, and I've soon got my Daytripper for £11.20. Considering how much you can do on one of these it's a bargain! The 0900 westbound is my first train of choice, and much to my pleasant surprise it's winner 334029! Off to Hyndland I go, it being easier to change trains at with its island platform than Partick. Dud 320306 takes me to Centraal Low Level for me to tackle my first goal of the day, find my last 3 314s. First things first though, it's Costa coffee time! I'm soon in luck too with winner 324211 on the 0945 to Newton via Maxwell Park. Just before departure I see 324216 roll in and RTT tells me it should do the 0950 Cathcart Circle. Excellent, things are falling into place quite nicely!

314216 at Pollokshields West by 43002, on Flickr

The first of many shack attacks today falls to Shawlands, and before I know it winner 314216 has made it around the circle and I'm scoring it on a trip to Pollokshields West. Fantastic, just 1 more 314, 314213 to go! Dud 314202 is next for a trip to Pollokshaws East, of course it should go without saying that I'm in the motor coaches at every opportunity today, as I don't know when my last 314 bash will be and I love the noise these things make! 314211 is back next for another shack attack, this time at Maxwell Park. 314216 takes me back along the line for my last winner shack in this area of Glasgow, Langside. 314202 is back to become another Super Dud for my return to Glasgow Centraal High Level.

314204 and 314206 at Glasgow Central (High Level) by 43002, on Flickr

Well before I get back here I'm in dire need and start on goal number 2 of the day, score off plenty of 380s as at this point I needed 19 of them. 380101 is a winner on the 1130 to Ayr, and once I sort out the urgent business I settle at a table seat to get some more charge into my phone and get the books up to date. I learnt a long time back the value of keeping the books updated as I go, saves going after what the book says is a winner when you've actually had it several hours before! Yes I have done that in the past with Southern 455s...

Of course, I'm still after a lot of shack attacks and upon arrival at Kilwinning I set about planning moves to get some of the 6 I need between Ayr and Paisely. Super Dud 380115 is up next for a trip to Lochwinnoch, and 380015 takes me back down the line for a shack attack at Dalry. I would continue back north now for some more shacks in the Kilwinning-Paisely sector, but I had identified 380019 on a stopper to Ayr earlier and worked out its next move so I was keen to get it! Winner 380010 takes me to Kilwinning where I have to change off the Ardrossan train for dud 380009 to Irvine. It also joins the ranks of Super Dud now, as has several other 380s by the end of the day.

Sure enough, winner 380019 is going back to Glasgow and I'm going all the way back to Centraal on it, as by now I'm rather hungry and in need of a good meal! Burger King does the job, unlike the WiFi on the 380s which was not exactly very useable, and it's time to head towards the Inverclyde region. Winner 380015 is up next, although it's worth pointing out I did also look for 314213 with no success. Lunch devoured by Bishopton, and it's time for some Dragonforce on the mileage move to Inverkip. During the 20 minute wait here, I was getting impatient waiting for 380005 to return and there's now only one thing I want to do before getting back to Port Glasgow!

380005 at Inverkip by 43002, on Flickr

It's shack attack time on the Gourock line next, the Inverclyde area being one I need a lot of shacks in. Much to my pleasant surprise, winner 380003 takes me to Langbank, and I'm looking in my NREA saying to myself "I'll get you one day 380001", so imagine my surprise when I get winner 380001 on my next shack attack to Cartsdyke! Dud 380006 is up next to become a Super Dud for the trip to Woodhall, and 380116 takes me back to Bogston, having spent almost all of the fester at Woodhall planning moves to finish the shacks on the Gourock branch. 380001 returns at Bogston for a trip back to Port Glasgow, where I find a shop to get some drinks as I ran out of pop some time ago now.

Fans of Hellfire will recognise this next bit: "Dreadful! Something's blown up!" [This is a quote heard when something's failed in the game Hellfire - Ed]. Why do I reference this? I see during the fester at Port Glasgow on Twitter that ScotRail are reporting a broken down train at Neilston, which prompted me to tweet another Hellfire reference "Red line at Neilston!" [Granted, this one is more a reference to multi-player games of Hellfire when we would IM each other during the game to alert other players of it - Ed], but I couldn't find out if that meant 314213 was coming off Shields Road to rescue it. Fair play to ScotRail for being most helpful during the day and actually answering my request for gen!

Next stop, a shack attack at Greenock Central on dud 380003. A short wait here gets me winner 380020 forward to Fort Matilda, with 380003 now becoming a Super Dud for the trip to Greenock West. That cleared Bishopton to Gourock stations, and I'd already noted in the timetable some options on the Wemyss Bay line for further shack attacks. So it was back to Port Glasgow on dud 380020 to get dud 380113 over to IBM. At this time of day there's more than the hourly service as they make use of the loop west of Inverkip. I had hoped for some doubled-up 380s by now, it being gone 1730. Dud 380022 takes me back down the line to Whinhill and it's heaving with rain now. Thank Goodness for the shelter!

IBM running-in board by 43002, on Flickr

Next up was a trip to Branchton, and I was expecting yet another dud 380. Imagine my surprise when dud 314216 turned up! Some welcome motor noise of course now, and it's straight to the shelter at Branchton to await the return of 380113 to become a Super Dud to get me to my last shack attack on the Wemyss Bay branch, Drumfrochar. The wind's coming mighty nippy now and I'm glad to see Super Dud 314216 return to take me back to Glasgow Centraal High Level! As it's a fast run back to Centraal, the motors are really going for it and I'm loving the noise!

314216 at Branchton by 43002, on Flickr

Almost time to alight I'm afraid gang, so I'll leave it there for now. Not a long way from the end of Day 3 surprisingly, and I hope to add photos tomorrow and get this finished off by Monday. Then all that's left to do this year is finish the moves book and get the TripAdvisor review done, then I'm all set for 2015! :D

Last edited:

alexf380

Established Member
The flat thing that tastes like potato is more than likely a potato scone. Mighty delicious things they are!
Loving the report so far. I should really get out and try this sort of thing sometime.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
alexf380:2017748 said:
The flat thing that tastes like potato is more than likely a potato scone. Mighty delicious things they are!
Loving the report so far. I should really get out and try this sort of thing sometime.

Too right you should! I would recommend to anyone just getting out there and sampling the world!

Makes sense for the flat thing I had at breakfast, I wouldn't say that it was mighty delicious but it was OK.

I would love to continue typing it all up now but I've been on the lager so unable to focus properly now. A very good example of how alcohol messes with you! It's my brother's birthday tomorrow so if I do get to go on here it will be only in the morning. We'll see, but if not I'll carry on on Monday.

Established Member
Mighty fine reading, that.
I must admit that it's got me thinking I may have been neglecting the EMUs on my recent trips.
Something I may have to rectify net year.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Mighty fine reading, that.
I must admit that it's got me thinking I may have been neglecting the EMUs on my recent trips.
Something I may have to rectify net year.

Well if it helps, I used to focus way too much on HSTs, neglecting the DMUs about, so I spent a long time playing catch up, now of course since I've been neglecting EMUs too I'm only just catching up in some areas at last!

Of course, since I've spent so much time on EMU bashing now I need to make sure I redress the balance and get some more DMUs done too. So my next Glasgow Roundabout bash will feature both EMUs and DMUs, only sensible after all!

Kite159: Oh yes a lot of wins across the board, but the war still wasn't over yet! Keep reading to find out what happened next :D

It's now time to finish off Day 3, after which I'll add the photos and see what I can do with Day 4 :)

15th December 2014 - Techniquest's 30th Birthday Crank Spree, Day 3 CONTINUED!

It's now 1947 by the time I get back to Centraal and I'm in need of a meal. You'll not surprised to learn I went to Burger King again! :lol: I was booked on the overnight Megabus going back to London tonight, and I wasn't sure if I'd have enough battery charge to get me home or if the coach would have working power sockets either. So I had originally planned, when setting my mileage target for the day, that I'd have a long run to Ayr and back, possibly even twice. It would take me a long way to bumping up my mileage for 2014, but also make sure I had the time to charge my phone to the maximum. However, it was also known that A) this would be less than entertaining; B) that it would result in few if any winners; C) I wanted to make the effort to clear the 314s, 318s or 320s if at all possible. Therefore the decision was taken, after of course scouring the High Level lot for 314213, to drop on down to the Low Level and see what's going on.

Winner 318267 produces for a leap to Dalmarnock, a station that was closed for a big rebuild when I was last up here on an EMU bash, and one I'd accidentally highlighted in my Baker [Baker = rail atlas, for those unknowing - Ed] at the time. I was of course going to fix that silly error now, and I was most happy to get it done on a winner too! By now Red Pen Fever was striking, which as any fellow readers who've suffered it will know is not helpful! It felt like decades getting from platform to platform at Dalmarnock, and even though the rebuild was only done in 2012 it already feels like it needs another tidy up. I flag a pair of 318s that were dud, and dud 318266 is next but it's now quite a wait for another train going west back to 'The Core'. I am well aware that term is normally used for the 'Thameslink Core' [London St Pancras Low Level to Blackfriars - Ed], but it feels quite right for Dalmarnock/High Street to Partick through Centraal and Queen Street Low Levels. I lose track of where I am and bail at Argyle Street mistakenly, but this turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Why is this you ask?

Winner for sight and haulage 320305 is on a Motherwell service, and if I had continued to Centraal I'd have missed it. It's also my last ScotRail passenger train to see, so getting this was a very nice surprise, and made me incredibly glad I didn't do the Ayr trip! I was going to do this to Motherwell, but then it was announced at Rutherglen we were heading there via Whifflet. This is of course one of the newly electrified lines in Glasgow, and it's not in the PIS on board or at stations yet, giving the illusion we were going RA from Rutherglen to Motherwell! So now it's shack attack time, and I end up choosing Carmyle, not wanting to go too far from The Core as it's now 2047 and I want to be back at Queen Street by 2300 at the very latest, but still score away as much as possible in the meantime.

320305 at Carmyle by 43002, on Flickr

It's a long transfer between platforms here, and I am lucky dud 320318 is running a few minutes late and I only just make it. I'm off to Rutherglen now, where I predict I'll have some better luck. So much for sticking to The Core! I eventually settle on dud 318265 taking me over to Mount Vernon for another shack attack, as I was very keen on getting as many shacks as I could scored on this trip, as there's still a lot left in the Glasgow Roundabout area to get, let alone the rest of the Daytripper area. Annoyingly I have a long wait in the cold and wet here, then dud 318261 turns up to take me back to Centraal Low Level. Only vehicle 77255 was available for travel when I got on [the rear vehicle was also available I noticed after I got off, but wasn't open when I got on! - Ed], an unusual instance! Thankfully it was the coach with the facilities! At Centraal I try my luck again but to no avail, and it's dud 318255 forward to Hyndland. At least this move turned out well in the end, as winner 334033 produced to take me to Queen Street Low Level. It was to be my last winner in Scotland on this trip, and I'm there at 2229. 30 minutes earlier than originally planned but by now I was feeling shattered and in need of a break.

334033 at Glasgow Queen Street Low Level by 43002, on Flickr

I visit the Wetherspoon outside Queen Street for a pint of Tennants, which also gave me the opportunity to charge my phone at the table in the corner, to the cost of £3.20. Very nice again of course, and I update some notes on my phone and posted on the forum with a brief update before heading up the hill to Buchanan Street Bus Station. By now it's most nippy, and eventually boarding starts on the 2340 Megabus M11 to London Victoria Coach Station. It's YJ14 LHC (Megabus 50251) tonight, and I'm on before the majority of the crowd this time and score myself a seat at the front of the top deck, a favourite seat on any double decker. Fortunately the power sockets are working, so I settle in for a very long journey. YouTube's on pretty soon and it's on for most of the way to Carlisle too [no wonder my mobile data took quite a hit! - Ed], and we leave 4 minutes late at 2344, and we're not due into London until 0930.

This one really is a stopper to London, and when I looked it up earlier in the evening, when I got fed up of trying to work out why it took 9 hours and 50 minutes to get to London, I found out why. We stop at Carlisle, Lancaster University, Preston, Manchester and then finally RA to London. I regretted not booking the earlier coach that was a lot more direct, but hey ho, I was stuck with it now. Off we go then back to England!

16th December 2014 - Techniquest's 30th Birthday Crank Spree, Day 4

Months ago I had never envisioned starting my 30th birthday on a coach down a Scottish motorway, but that's how it started! Thank you, by the way, to all those of you who tweeted me a birthday greeting! I believe Ryan125HST on here was first, and it was most welcome! :D It's a nice run down the motorways to Carlisle, by which time I was more than ready for sleep. Trying to doss at all was easier said than done, with a window pillar right next to me, but I manage it eventually. We pick some people up here in The Border City and finally leave at 0129, 4 minutes late, despite the driver on the radio or phone saying he was leaving Carlisle on time. I'm not sure how I managed to get to sleep in the end, but I must have slept fairly well as I don't remember seeing Preston or Manchester (I did wake up for Lancaster though), waking up at a driver change at Rugby. I overhear something to do with congestion on the M1, and unfortunately I'm wide awake by now. Well, not wide awake, but not tired enough to go back to sleep as much as I tried!

We do indeed take a diversionary route from the M1, and the traffic is ridiculous! It's awful for many miles, and eventually we return to the M1 after a horrendously boring journey. I count my lucky stars I wasn't going the other way though, as the M1 was closed going north at the point we joined the M1 again [I was informed in the evening that a 6-car pile up had been the cause - Ed], with traffic backed up for miles upon miles upon miles. It's still a long drag of a journey going down the M1, but eventually we get off it and reach the top of London. Can't be much longer now, I keep telling myself, and eventually familiar names are on the street signs, going over Baker Street I'm ready to get going and off the coach, but it's still quite some wait to go yet until we reach Victoria Coach Station's Arrivals area. Then we have to wait for coaches to shunt around the place before we FINALLY arrive 43 minutes late at 1013. I'm out of the coach as fast as I can, banging my head on a low roof which wasn't marked. Thankfully it wasn't much of a bang, and I'm soon storming off to Victoria station, cutting through the shopping centre area. I don't even stop off at Costa for a coffee!

I find a TVM quite quickly, £8.90 I have my Zones 1-6 Off Peak Day Travelcard. I knew I wouldn't really use the full value, but I had done some calculations and all of my planned moves were going to weigh up to about the same amount anyway, plus that was all on Contactless payments, which I'm not a fan of. I make a beeline for the higher numbered platforms and I end up being lucky jumping on a slightly delayed trio of 377s to East Grinstead. I had just enough time to identify winner 377401 in the middle of dud 377432 and [finding out the front one after jumping on - Ed] dud 377113. I was going to bail at Clapham Junction, in a bid to do some SWT stuff for a change, but I stick with the new plan [I had originally been, when planning the contactless payments moves, going to jump straight on the Victoria line to Finsbury Park, but obviously this didn't happen - Ed] and head to East Croydon. Hey, I might as well, I've paid good money for this Travelcard so I might as well go as far as I can! Bonus in that I score my last Colas 66 for sight, 66850, on the way to Croydon so I was very happy about that. I also get a winner 377/6 for sight too, nearly there with sighting all of the passenger trains on the mainlines in the UK now! :D

RTT tells me there's a Bedford service due soon after we reach East Croydon, bang goes that plan to do Costa or Burger King then! Fortunately it's a few minutes late [we were about 5 minutes late ourselves - Ed] and I'm very glad I pined the Costa/Burger King move in the end, as Thameslink [I was going to type FCC, I have to keep stopping myself doing so! - Ed] have turned out a trio of winner 377/5s for this run today. 377508, 377505 and 377517 are all winners on the 1047 to Bedford, 4 377s scored in no time and 3 of the /5s in one go, nicely done! :D

Next time I think about doing East Croydon to St Pancras though, at least when I'm on a tight bit of time, smack me! Why? It's such a slow journey, I don't want to think about how long we were sat on the approaches to London Bridge, nor how super slow it is all the way to St Pancras from there! 36 minutes spent doing ECR to STP, I'm so glad I don't do that very often! At least the 377s sounded better after the change to the superior power source, to the overhead lines, at City Thameslink! I don't care what the DC gang say, AC rules the roost! Still plenty of 319s noticed running through The Core [of course, this time I refer to the Thameslink core! - Ed] today, I thought they were a rare breed down here now.

A quick bit of walking to Kings Cross gets me a winner 365, 365520, for the leap to Finsbury Park, excellent! More so I score 66755 for sight on the approaches to Finsbury Park so I'm incredibly pleased with that! Still way too many 66s to see yet though! I'd forgotten how good they sound in the motor coaches, was quite pleased with that. I'm sure that, by now, you've guessed what I've come to Finsbury Park for! If you haven't, or you're new to the tales of my bashing, I've come up here for some more Great Northern 313s. These are due for withdrawal in 2016 if memory serves correctly, after 40 years of service. As I still need quite a few of the GN 313s, and it's an every-10-minutes service with them through here on weekdays, it made sense to have a go again. 313s come and go, several times, before I happened to note a southbound 313 to Moorgate as being 313027. I check the timetable and think I've got it figured which service it's doing. Duds after duds after duds come through, then 313027 is not on the service I thought it was, but the one after it. I eventually get winner 313027 on a leap to Harringay, and when I get there it's 1234.

This would not be an issue normally, but I'm booked home on the 1313 from London Euston and I'm not even close at the moment! I jump on the first southbound 313 that turns up thankfully a few minutes later, which turns out to be dud 313042. I was shocked to only see one winner 313 in all that time, considering I was festering at Finsbury Park from 1139 to 1232, in lovely sunshine but freezing conditions! It's as fast as my feet will carry me onwards to the southbound Victoria line now [I know I haven't included many photos lately, but I didn't have time to take many all day - Ed] and I get there just in time to jump on 11041 and 11042 for a 6 minute ride to Euston. I assumed it was going to take longer than that, but that's what my phone said it was! Sadly they were both duds, but I didn't have time to fester for winners. It's 1247 by the time I'm heading to the stairs up to street level, and I am in dire need of both a drink and food, so no time to hang about! I hadn't had a drink in over 2.5 hours now, having finished my last bit of pop upon leaving the coach station, hence the desperation. I was going to get a coffee at Finsbury Park, but sadly it's not Puccinos these days :cry: I wasn't willing to leave the station to go to Costa either, in case winner 313s turned up!

Burger King to the rescue for food at least, my usual meal was obviously obtained. I should bear in mind I hadn't eaten since around 2000 the previous night, so by now I was beyond starving! I knew my drink here wouldn't last long, and I end up joining the queue at Costa for a much-needed coffee! I needed platform 8, and I was so not with it at this point I hadn't realised I'd just walked up the ramp away from it, some out-loud cursing of myself comes out of my mouth and I head back down the ramp to find 350112 in all its dudness for the 1313 to Birmingham New Street. I find a table seat and start devouring my food as quick as I could, once I'd sugared up my coffee. It's an on-time departure and off we go belting it up the WCML. I see no 350/3s I needed for sight on Camden Carriage Sidings, or anything else I needed anywhere else. With my Burger King meal in me, I start the massive job of getting my books updated, this taking quite a while all in, most of the way to Northampton before the ST Publications book and NREA agreed with each other. After checking out the 350s I could see on Kings Heath depot, I still can't find either of my last two 350/3s for sight, it won't be long until I find them all for haulage anyway.

Nothing of interest on DIRFT (Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal) today, when will I find my last DRS 66 for sight? We're back on familiar territory before I know it, and I'm enjoying the journey through sunny weather. Birmingham International is soon upon me to indicate preparations for alighting to begin. We arrive at one of my favourite places in the UK, Birmingham New Street, at 1517, bang on time. Apologies if any of you nearly fainted at reading the comment on Birmingham New Street being one of my favourite places, you did read right. Why is that, I hear you ask? It's one of the homes of my spotting and bashing career at Birmingham New Street, I've spent much time here and I just like it for that reason, I have some fond memories here, some of which are fading away sadly as parts of the station are long gone thanks to the rebuild of a railway station into another shopping centre. Anyway, I could go on for days with that but won't. I visit Tesco Metro for a drink and pop back to the platforms to have a quick social with a railway friend before his train headed out, then it was to platform 12b for the 1549 to Hereford, the last train of the trip.

170513 is on it and is very busy, thankfully LM had sent 153375 out to attach to it and made for a more enjoyable journey home. Of course, I sat in the 153 for some much needed DBT [Dog Box Thrash - Ed] all the way home. We leave on time, and I get the moves book out to get on with the massive job of getting that up to date, which there was a lot to add to [I still have a fair bit to add to it from this trip yet! - Ed], and with little else to do on the way home it made sense to get on with it now. Otherwise it was a fairly standard journey, and we arrive into Hereford 3 minutes early at 1716.

153375 at Hereford by 43002, on Flickr

I go to the local Wetherspoon for some drinks with a colleague, then I get a lift home about an hour later. A much needed meal was had, although I confess I'm not sure if it was fish and chips or something else now! And so ended an absolutely brilliant trip, one worthy of a budget traveller for his 30th birthday! It was also the last trip of 2014, so it had to be a big one! It cost me a fair bit all in all, although I haven't yet costed everything up. However it was all money well spent, with 37 winner stations scored, 35 winners in the book (2 of which were LU), a truckload of mileage, 2 classes nearly cleared, with plenty of progress made on the others and a good time had overall. And so ends this long trip report, thank you all for having patience while I found time to get it done! The remainder of the photos from Day 3 will be added shortly.

Now bring on 2015 and what I'm expecting to be a fantastic year! :D

Established Member
Very enjoyable.
Thanks for putting in the effort.

Speaking of EMUs, I've spent the day chasing down West Yorkshire ones. I might write it up :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
55013:2019201 said:
Very enjoyable.
Thanks for putting in the effort.

Speaking of EMUs, I've spent the day chasing down West Yorkshire ones. I might write it up :)

Most welcome. It took forever to finish the job yesterday, well over 2 hours, but I was most happy to get it done!

Yes I want to see that trip review of yours!

I finished the moves book and TripAdvisor review last night, after making myself get on with it, so this morning I've had an opportunity to do a final round-up of the figures for a brief 2014 review. I had been going to do a far more in-depth one, but the following summary will do instead.

The only things I need to get done now are my commuting log (which I'll probably finish on New Years Eve after work) and tally up just how much I've spent on rail fares in 2014. 2015 will see me log more figures such as bus/coach fares and hotel costs so I can see more exactly how much my cranking is costing me! I will probably add that as an addendum to my 2014 review when it's done.

So here we are, the final figures for 2014:

- 642 winners had across the loco, DMU, EMU and light rail fleets (45 of which were in Sweden, so 597 UK winners)
- 364 required stations scored (17 of which were in Sweden)
- 11,146 miles covered
- After an excellent year, I have now visited 1,634 stations in the UK and Ireland!
- 4 countries cranked in (Sweden, Wales, Scotland and obviously England)
- 2 winner planes

Not a bad year whatsoever if you ask me! :D Hopefully 2015 will also be amazing, and I have every intention to make it so!

EDIT:

The addendum is complete, the total I spent on rail fares in 2014 was a whopping £1,242.25 :shock: I dread to think what I will have spent on hotels, bus/coach fares or even food/drink!

I suspect that figure will increase quite significantly in 2015 though!

EDIT 2:

Just booked the accommodation for the main part of my big bash in February, all £132 of it (thankfully it's payable when I get there)! So where am I going? Kent for another big Kent Rover trip! Now to organise the travel to Kent and the secondary part of my trip! :D :D :D

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
sounds good, where you staying in Kent this time? I have just booked a work trip staying at your recommended B n B in Ashford. Not got round to planning anything in detail for 2015 yet but I am headed London bound for a prior commitment early on and thinking on tagging a day travel card bash onto it. When you in Kent? I have spent £397 on rail tickets this year, mainly due to not getting to many of the things I wanted to do, done. In terms of new year resolutions however, I want to get better value for money out of my bashing!↲

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Staying at the same place I liked last time, The Railway Hotel in Faversham. I've just booked the second part of the week off, just now need to book travel home from the North and the Faversham to London leg at some point. The latter can be done at the time, I'll sort out my travel home when I next get paid I think.

Will have spent £192 on 5 nights of accommodation all in after the February trip, good thing I'm not planning to spend a fortune in January then really!

I hope you like the Cornerstone B+B in Ashford, it was a good stay when I went so I hope it is for you too. Same for my return to Faversham, I enjoyed my stay last time so I hope I have the same luck! I'll be down in Kent on 2nd February :)

Full details of my week off will be unveiled nearer the time, but to say it's going to be a big and varied adventure is an understatement! <D

Kristofferson

Finally caught up with reading the remainder of your trip report today!

Thanks for the writeup, a good read as usual and looked like an enjoyable trip (apart from the Mega bus of course).

Looking forward to your Kent trip :)

Established Member
cracking read as always techniquest, one things for sure the roundabout and daytripper tickets are great value, looking forward to getting back up there myself in 2015.

noddy1878

Established Member
Wow! 1634 stations in the UK! I'm impressed! I am a long way from that! In fact you are on more than double what I have done! I'm on 801!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
noddy1878:2020527 said:
Wow! 1634 stations in the UK! I'm impressed! I am a long way from that! In fact you are on more than double what I have done! I'm on 801!

I do include a good few in Ireland and Northern Ireland in that count, so probably nearer 1,550 UK-only stations.

Glad you've all enjoyed the read, I might be changing a few bits and bobs to make the February trip more affordable (long story!) but I will go through my plans and finances extremely carefully first before announcing confirmed details. In the meantime I'm looking forward to Monday's NWM Daytripper!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
After much debating where to go, and how to get there, all day on Sunday I've allowed common sense to prevail and booked tickets for my first trip of 2015! I am indeed off to Birmingham to do a Daytripper and rather looking forward to it! :D

Hashtag on Twitter for the trip will be #techstrippingit and the first tweets will start the Live Trip Report around 0730 :)

In other news, I went through my atlas and counted how many stations I still need in the UK and Ireland. The figures made for less pleasant viewing than I expected, but it's worth pointing out that the counts include light rail/metro routes as well as preserved railways on top of the heavy rail network. The figures came out as these:

UK (inc IoW and IoM, not NI): 1,744
Ireland: 136
Northern Ireland: 40
Total: 1,920

Just a few then! Some of the pages in my atlas took quite some going through and counting, with up to either 56 or 67 stations on one page alone! Which goes to show how badly I need to get going with the SWT network! The UK figure should come down quite significantly this year, although the amount in Scotland will take quite a while!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Evening all!

I'm going to start this first trip report of 2015 on the bus home, then hopefully continue it later or during the week, whichever I can. Those of you on Twitter will have no doubt been keeping track of the action during the day ;) I believe the laptop is not accessible though tonight so photos will be added when I can! Let's get cracking then!

05/01/2015 - Techniquest's Tripping It

Finally the first trip of 2015 is underway! After a less than brilliant bit of doss, it's up with the alarm and there's no hanging around, I want to get going! I'm getting a lift in this morning, and we leave several minutes later than planned, which turned out to be a bad thing, as the fog was bad for much of the drive! Nevertheless both me and my sister make the train and National Express coach respectively, although it was touch and go for a while! I pick up my pre-booked Anytime Day Return to Solihull [pre-booked to earn Nectar points for my Mum's Nectar card, 36 points towards Frothmas at least! - Ed] which cost £18.10, and I had forgot the 0734 is booked for a 150! Brucie Bonus time though, as it has 153366 with it for company this morning! Just as well as it turned out, as it would have been rather uncomfortable otherwise! Off we go right time on my first move of the year with two now-heritage DMUs, much better than the expected 170!

150105 (153366 on the front) at Hereford by 43002, on Flickr

153366 (150105 on the rear) at Hereford by 43002, on Flickr

Yes I'm calling 150s and 153s heritage, in terms of LM MUs they're some of the oldest in the fleet, with the 150 almost 30 years old according to memory! The earphones get to stay in my pocket this morning while I enjoy the sounds of proper DMU racket! The commuting logs are now up to date, and the journey is otherwise uneventful with a 4 minute delay to the arrival into the heart of the Midlands, Birmingham New Street, at 0911. I head straight outside and head to Moor Street, the heart of all things loco haulage these days [and will no doubt be overloaded with enthusiasts at times, what with the 67s' imminent demise and the 68s almost here! - Ed], and I get my Daytripper here vice Solihull at a cost of £6.20. Bargain if you ask me for what you can get done in the area!

Sadly I'm not due a winner yet, as the 0934 to Leamington Spaaaaa is in the hands of dud 165013. Nevertheless I get on as I can make a Silver [a Chiltern Railways Mainline Silver train, that is 67-hauled MK3s and DVT- Ed] at Solihull. Much to my surprise it's a pair of 168s! I decide to flag them opting to go on a hunt for a timetable booklet. Chiltern have gone back to various pocket timetables, not an all-in-one booklet as previously they've done, and in the relevant one I find it wasn't booked for a Silver anyway. Now I know which ones to go for, I instead get a coffee from the cafe for £1.20, having randomly got £1.30 in cash on me. I rarely carry or use cash, so this is a bit weird for me! I get the books up to date and await the 172 to take me to Dorridge, the eastern limit of the Daytripper.

After ID'ing it, I can't help whistling and humming the Freakazoid [classic cartoon for those unaware! - Ed] theme and sing in my head "Super dud, super dud!" as it's Super Dud 172341. The short leap to Dorridge complete, I line myself up for photos of the imminent Silver, and this time I'm not disappointed as 67014 rolls in with the 0845 from London Marylebone. Obviously I'd have preferred a winner but I always knew it was exceptionally unlikely 67023 would produce. Not that it was exclusively Silver 67s out today...I settle in for a smooth ride back to Moor Street, ensuring my phone was on charge [otherwise I'd not be typing this up right now on my way home! - Ed] of course.

67014 at Dorridge by 43002, on Flickr

67014 at Birmingham Moor Street by 43002, on Flickr

I toy with the idea of doing 67014 back to Solihull but the enormous +41 at Solihull was a big off-putter, especially since I had just had a fair fester there earlier! I instead do the more sensible thing and hop on double duds 172211+172218 for the BSB up the hill to Snow Hill. It's one helluva trek over and through the barriers, down the long stairs and onto the platform, but I have just enough time to take a photo of Midland Metro tram 22 before getting for the BSB to St Pauls. Those of you who are unaware, Midland Metro have a fleet of 20 new CAF trams, which will replace the existing fleet of 16 trams. Knowing they had finally started in service a few weeks ago, it made a lot of sense to at least start getting them in the book!

Midland Metro tram 22 at Birmingham Snow Hill by 43002, on Flickr

Midland Metro tram 22 at St Pauls (Birmingham) by 43002, on Flickr

Midland Metro tram 06 at Birmingham Snow Hill by 43002, on Flickr

I only have about 7 minutes to wait at St Pauls for the next tram back to Snow Hill, and it's dud 06, one of the now-old fleet. Not that I was complaining, as I didn't know when if ever the next opportunity to do one would be. Another BSB over and the escalator is off, much to the dislike of myself and plenty of others! Back along the long trek upstairs and through the barriers to join the 1112 Birmingham Snow Hill to London Marylebone, today in the hands of dud 168002. I find a seat and get the phone back on charge while I update the books again. The trip back to Solihull is soon over and it's a nice surprise for me, as 67020 is out on the 1015 from The Bone today. It's been a very long time since I last had this one, although I still don't remember when or where it was!

67020 at Birmingham Moor Street by 43002, on Flickr

Another smooth ride to Moor Street and I vote to head to the nearby Tesco Express near the Moor Street Travelodge. Lunch and a Costa Express coffee obtained for the total of £5.40, it was straight back to the station to board the 1212 Snow Hill to The Bone, today in the hands of 168109. Another Chiltern DMU now made into a Super Dud and it's only a +8 here for the next Silver, this one bound for Snow Hill which would finally get me a 67 up the hill from Moor Street, something I've wanted to do for a long time.

I'll continue this when I can, my bus journey is over!

What be your twitter account again?

If you've not already found it using the hashtag, it's @Techniquest2003 :)

Alrighty then gang, let's crack on, there's a lot to talk about still!

05/01/2015 CONTINUED!

Well, I thought I was in for a 67 up the hill at least, but instead I get dud 168216! Cue a long string of in-head curse words and being disappointed in Chiltern (who never had the decency to reply to my tweet either!) and their fleet utilisation today! Nevertheless, I want off the Snow Hill lines now, so I get on for the ride up to Moor Street. Another Chiltern DMU made into a Super Dud [for those new to these trip reports, a Super Dud is a train with all its coaches travelled in. It'll take a VERY long time to get a Super Dud Class 700! :lol: - Ed] and I'm off the train as fast as I can. A fast walk to New Street and there isn't much going on around here, certainly not finding much here I want today. After a while, with all the Virgin Trains stuff either being dud 390s or 221s, I give up and jump on dud 350235 for a trip to Smethwick Galton Bridge. On the way there, I noted another 350 on Walsall to Wolverhampton locals, that one is dud too with 350251. Upstairs I go then, and I see and hear the glorious sound of 60092 thunder through the low level platforms with an eastbound freight, a most marvellous sound! 172332 is up next for a BSB to The Hawthorns, and I suspect you all know what I'm planning here already! If you haven't already guessed, I was on the hunt for required Midland Metro trams, which is what I should have done earlier instead of going with the incorrect vision that I'd have some scores on the Wolverhampton to Coventry corridor! Winner for everything tram 18 is up first of all and I eventually settle with alighting at West Bromwich Central.

Midland Metro tram 09 at West Bromwich Central by 43002, on Flickr

It turns out to be a 20 minute fester before winner for everything tram 23 rolls in towards Birmingham, and I'm on it back to The Hawthorns. It's only 15 minutes before winner tram 04 (one of the original 16) rolls in for a trip east towards Brummagem [a nickname for Birmingham from a member of the WNXX forum years ago that refuses to die in my memory! - Ed], and I end up bailing at Jewellery Quarter.

Midland Metro tram 12 arrives at The Hawthorns by 43002, on Flickr

Midland Metro tram 12 at The Hawthorns by 43002, on Flickr

I didn't remember the original trams making any sort of real noise at all, but I sure noticed some reasonably decent noise on 06 and 04! I'm actually glad in a way I did these tram moves today as I had lost my notes from my Midland Metro day a few years ago, much to my extreme annoyance to this day! [as I wrote that, Dragonforce's Trail of Broken Hearts started playing, and it just seems to go well with some of my nostalgia trips of late! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS62zFXDLzw&index=103&list=FLaJMYc5_eNd-xAYTJHzyi4w - Ed] I am now considering homeward bound moves, but not before one last foray into the lucky dip that it is at Birmingham New Street these days. With only 9 390s and 2 350/2s to get here, not including the EVENTUAL [yes, that IS a moan aimed at LM! - Ed] arrival of 350/3s on Birmingham services, it's always going to be difficult to find what I want. Especially as 350231 and 350239 make rare appearances in Birmingham whenever I'm about! Anyway, I give up with the trams for now, as I want to get over to New Street as quick as possible, and 172343 takes me over a few minutes later, becoming now a Super Dud. I'm at Snow Hill in no time, and I'm on a mission with my march to New Street, which is easier to do than the other way around! Unfortunately I don't get to see what's on the 1430 to London Euston, and the 1436 to Liverpool Lime Street is dud 350242 with the 1450 to London Euston in the hands of dud 390104. The 1454 to London Euston is a dud 350/1, and the 1438 to Wolverhampton was dud 350251. I'm fast running out of time to do much today, as I need to be back at New Street by no later than 1530 to make the 1549 to Hereford and get a chance of a seat.

A busy moment at Birmingham New Street by 43002, on Flickr

I throw in the towel, and head to platform 10 to find it is indeed 150105 on the 1449 to Hereford. However, before that, I can do Starship 43 [Starships are 323s, it's a rather old nickname that didn't really catch on, not even in the Midlands where it originated! Starship 43 is 323243- Ed] and make it into a Super Dud on the trip to University. Even with a hopper window open it wasn't making much noise though, which was a big disappointment. It made plenty of noise when I watched it leaving though, oh well what I did get I liked. I have, however, had much more vocal 323s with Northern and I look forward to doing one of those again later in 2015 [is there anything I haven't lined up for 2015?! - Ed] when I hopefully get a Greater Manchester Rail Ranger trip in! 150105 is soon down and it's pretty darn busy on board, as the school and college kids still haven't all gone back yet.

150105 at Birmingham New Street by 43002, on Flickr

The above photo I snapped at New Street before joining the 323 to University. I find a space to stand, and after I eventually get a data signal that works, I get confirmation there's nothing really going on in Worcester of interest. I'm not willing to stand around for 45 minutes for the 1227 from Southampton Central to Great Malvern, as it's quite the fester and it will probably be dud anyway! It's time to actually devour my lunch from Tesco now, as it's over 8.5 hours since I last ate and I'm now getting very grumpy and irritable. Those close to me will know just how awful I can be when I'm really hungry! The ham and cheddar sandwich, and packet of cheesy Doritos is soon devoured and I very quickly feel better, although the veg [in this context, I refer to normal, non enthusiast, passengers - Ed] are still annoying me with their lack of organisation when getting on/off the train in Worcester! A large crowd alight to be replaced with almost the same size crowd going onwards, but I finally have a seat. I don't remember when I last had to stand from Birmingham to Worcester, it's usually Bromsgrove where the veg all tip out but not today! It's time to bring the books all up to date, and this takes until the Colwall area to do, and the train has emptied out a lot more by Great Malvern. We really could do with more trains down this way, even if only between Great Malvern and Birmingham New Street to spread the crowds out a bit! More from Hereford would be nicer still, but I don't see that happening in the next few decades. The gripper finally comes around after Ledbury, and the rest of the journey was uneventful although I swear the 150 is more vocal this afternoon than it was this morning, certainly the PA is clearer!

Arrival back into Hereford is at 1617, 2 minutes early, and I have to fight through and past the crowds of college students that had taken over platform 3, and it's over to the bus stop. I see why I don't bother travelling at this time of day normally on a bash, the area's been overtaken by college students! Fortunately a lot of them get on the 33 to Lea, another crowd on the 39 to Brecon and the crowd for my bus is much lower than I feared it would be. Even so, we still have to have a relief bus leave a short time before the 1700 departure from Hereford, [sorry to interrupt, but Dragonforce's Lost Souls In Endless Time has just started! Another nostalgia accompaniment! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9q_W-wHpns&list=FLaJMYc5_eNd-xAYTJHzyi4w&index=108 - Ed] it just gets so busy otherwise and people would be left behind. Today is the first time I have ever had the opportunity to do this relief bus, and I had no idea what happened here. For the first time in absolutely ages I board YJ59 GFZ, one of a number of Optare Solos we have up here, and we leave 5 minutes before the timetabled bus and we have a fair few on. We sail past the regular veg-spawning [yes, bus passengers are veg too! - Ed] bus stops, missing out some of the usual and bigger stops on the route too. During the fester for the bus, I had started counting my light rail requirements, and this is then finished on the way home. The figure across all the tram networks, DLR and Tyne and Wear Metro came to a ridiculously high 490! Much worse than I expected and that'll take a very long time to come down! The list will be posted eventually in the Red Pen 2015 thread I suspect, it's on my phone anyway, and as I type this I realise I never counted the requirements on London Underground. That figure will be an outrageous one, something to do another day! The trip report is begun and I get a surprisingly long way into it before we get back. It still takes 48 minutes to get home thanks to traffic, but I'm home a lot earlier than my original plan had me back for. Normally I get the last bus home at 1815 and get in the door at any time between 1910 and 1945, depending on traffic mostly. It's then time for a home-made turkey and veg pie, which went down a right royal storm, then later I get the laptop out to catch up on everything on here as much as possible, upload photos and get this finished.

I haven't processed my mileages yet, but I will do at some point. So at the end of the day, a lot less winners than expected this morning, but I managed to totally avoid any travel on 170s which is usually the way I get to/from Birmingham on a bash, so that was a pleasant surprise. It sure did wonders for my 150 mileages! Only 4 winners, and all of those were trams. 17 of the new CAF trams to go on Midland Metro, and I also scored 4 Chiltern MK3s for sight so not bad really. A fair bit of mileage will have been had too, and a good bit of variety had as well. I've had a farewell to the 67s now, as I do honestly doubt another opportunity will turn up before the 68s come along into squadron service. If it comes up, of course I'll be giving it one final go, preferably also scoring 67023 before it leaves regular passenger service!

Not the perfect day, but it was a good start to 2015, and let's be honest I'm doing MUCH better this January than I did in January 2014! To think a year ago I was trying to be a norm! I'm not doing that again, what a lot of wasted bashing opportunities! No, if you lot want to be normal carry on but I like the me that's obsessed with the railway! :D :D :D

Finally for now then, bring on the next bash, even if it means waiting 4 weeks until the ENORMOUS February bash! <D

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Another good read, in an area I'm roughly familiar with so it was pretty easy to follow the moves :)

Shame you didn't get as many winners as you'd like - it can only get better, right?

The 350/3s are now very easy to get down south - had 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373 , 374, 375, 376 and 377 (all of them!) over the last few weeks.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes, south of Northampton they seem to be plentiful but unless I'm on a Great Escape I can't very easily get to them! Rumour has it they will eventually work to Birmingham, Liverpool and along the Trent Valley, which is better for me as a) they're then closer and cheaper to get in and b) I can do them on a WMDR!

Glad you enjoyed the read, and oh yes, 2015 will be much better than that! Only 638 winners behind my 2014 total but I will easily beat that! :D

As I'm back on my phone for now, en-route to another week of work, I've decided to share the list of light rail (not including LU) requirements. As you'll all be able to see, I've a lot of work ahead of me!

Light Rail Requirements,as of 05/01/15,1416

Midland Metro: 19 (inc 08 and 11,not inc stored 01+02)
Metrolink: 101
Sheffield Supertram: 20
Blackpool Trams: 49 (inc heritage+illuminated trams)
London Tramlink: 27
SPT Subway: 31
Tyne and Wear Metro: 59
DLR: 131
NET: 37 (inc new trams)
Edinburgh: 16
Total: 490
(Good GOD that number's higher than expected!)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I do believe the 1227 from Southampton Central to Great Malvern was 158884 pretending to be a FGW unit ;)

[actually I have no idea what it was, just think if it was though, you would be kicking yourself]

Hopefully London Midland will have some sort of Great Escape as I can feel a Sunday's worth of 350 bashing between Euston & Watford Junction coming along.

Sounds like you had an interesting day, although lack of winners :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.