• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Reading your report has just made me realise how many new (not even that new actually) types of EMU I’ve never been on.
Enjoyed the read, looked good Tech.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Reading your report has just made me realise how many new (not even that new actually) types of EMU I’ve never been on.
Enjoyed the read, looked good Tech.

Me too!

From memory:
7xanything
8xanything
385 (if in service)
373/374
442 (embarrassingly)
483 (?) (Isle of Widget tube jobbies)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Me too!

From memory:
7xanything
8xanything
385 (if in service)
373/374
442 (embarrassingly)
483 (?) (Isle of Widget tube jobbies)
Glad it’s not just me.
Same as you - 700/800 anything, plus anything Seimens, and plenty of other stuff too...
It’ll happen one day hopefully though.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Glad it’s not just me.
Same as you - 700/800 anything, plus anything Seimens, and plenty of other stuff too...
It’ll happen one day hopefully though.

(Ps D841. I bet there’s plenty of stuff that you’ve had in the past that I’d love to have experienced..?)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

It's been a while since my last update. Well it will be clear I'm not back on the rails, but I came back on here specifically to state that it is VERY unlikely that I will be any time soon. It's been 19 days since my last trip, and not much less than that since I was last anywhere near a railway as it is.

I've tried coming back to the railway scene, having been ultra part time for longer than I care to remember, and after recent events I'm surprised I didn't do my usual and have an escape from reality. No I think that part of me has gone, and no I will not be sharing details on any of the recent events. A couple of you already know, and while I know there are some more of you would be sympathetic it's not for sharing on here. It's very much staying between those who know, the people involved and my notebook.

Will I ever be back? Only time will tell, but it is exceptionally unlikely. Over the last few months, I've grown quite a lot and the railway doesn't hold the same appeal any more. I am still hunting the replacement hobby, and I am sure I will find it before too long. I just want it to hurry up and reveal itself as the void the railway has left is quite substantial. Especially so with what's been going on here, but I absolutely refuse to go full-on nerd again.

I can still be found on Twitter and Facebook, and let's be honest often in a venue of some description in Hereford. Until the next time we meet/talk, take care everyone!

shredder1

Established Member
Hi all,

It's been a while since my last update. Well it will be clear I'm not back on the rails, but I came back on here specifically to state that it is VERY unlikely that I will be any time soon. It's been 19 days since my last trip, and not much less than that since I was last anywhere near a railway as it is.

I've tried coming back to the railway scene, having been ultra part time for longer than I care to remember, and after recent events I'm surprised I didn't do my usual and have an escape from reality. No I think that part of me has gone, and no I will not be sharing details on any of the recent events. A couple of you already know, and while I know there are some more of you would be sympathetic it's not for sharing on here. It's very much staying between those who know, the people involved and my notebook.

Will I ever be back? Only time will tell, but it is exceptionally unlikely. Over the last few months, I've grown quite a lot and the railway doesn't hold the same appeal any more. I am still hunting the replacement hobby, and I am sure I will find it before too long. I just want it to hurry up and reveal itself as the void the railway has left is quite substantial. Especially so with what's been going on here, but I absolutely refuse to go full-on nerd again.

I can still be found on Twitter and Facebook, and let's be honest often in a venue of some description in Hereford. Until the next time we meet/talk, take care everyone!

How sad and what a great loss, you will be surely missed in the hobby, so sorry to read your post, I do hope everything is alright with you Tech, stay in touch mate.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Fairy 'nuff.

See you at somthing random, like the 2021 Sharpness Railway Diesel Gala... :)

In seriousness - do what you enjoy, and don't let anyone judge you!

alexf380

Established Member
Do take care! It was lovely to meet you that one time, and if you fancy dipping your toe back into the railway world then I'm sure everyone in this part of the forum would happily support you.

See you later, Tech.

fowler9

Established Member
Hi all,

All the best mate. Whatever you get up to have fun. Try not to take life to seriously, don't over think or over plan things. Cheesy but life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Iskra

Established Member
Thank you (and bye), your reports have been a great inspiration. All the best with your new hobby Tech.

Established Member
That's a shame, Tech, I really enjoyed reading your reports. It was a pleasure to meet you on those two occasions.

All the best for the future mate.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hey all,

No, I'm not coming back! I happened to be on here looking for some of my old trip reports for posting on my new blog for world exploration trips. It's going to take some finding for my Sweden trip, let alone the others. After all, I've done reports for trips to all of these countries since November 2014, in no order:

Sweden
Norway
Austria
Switzerland
Spain
Czech Republic
Italy
USA
Canada (not on here!)

I'm sure I've missed a couple of countries out there too!

While I'm here, let's have a quick catch-up. After all, I've not posted in nearly 3 months! Let's try to keep this brief:

Since 21st February, I haven't exactly found a new hobby but I have tried a few bits and bobs. I tried getting into movies, but that's not as easy as it may sound. I'm still heavily into my beer, although wine didn't take over as it seemed it might a couple of months ago. There's an incredibly long story there! I haven't 100% given up on the railway though, I have logged all my UK railway journeys in recent months. There's not been many of them, and I did try not to make note of them but I just couldn't stop my thumbs or eyes noting them. I don't record journey times or bother adding them to RailMiles now though, and my moves book (or indeed my notebook!) hasn't been updated in ages.

One thing that has improved is my interest in the aviation world. Indeed, I went for two jobs, one with BA and one with Ryanair, in April! Those recruitment events cost me a small fortune, but all good experience I suppose. Didn't stop me getting gutted when I got rejected from both airlines within 48 hours mind!

On which note, I'm still at Asda despite efforts as hinted above to escape. I turned down an opportunity to join Aldi, although that was more because they wanted me to work in Ludlow, despite the Hereford store being within minutes of my location! I have been promised new opportunities in Asda and I'm waiting on that to start now, although quite frankly I'm doubting I'll ever ditch the greens!

I went to Toronto on my first solo trans-atlantic trip last week, which is detailed on the Wordpress blog I'll link to shortly. At least that's one thing I actually managed, I achieved my New Year's Resolution! Oh yeah, talking of, it's just over 5 months since I moved to Hereford now, which means I'm nearly 5 months into the Juliano Improvement Works mission. As for Juliano, I can't remember who actually started that at work, but it has stuck and been in use for years! The mission is a 7-phase plan (originally it was 5!) that was supposed to be much more advanced by now. Phase 1 was, after all, be completed by 21st April. As of 14th May 2018, it's close but not there yet. It *would* have been complete if a few issues hadn't taken 2 months to deal with, one in particular still occasionally (as it has tonight!) pops up as a "What if..." session of over-thinking. It ruined a quality friendship, which has been absolutely gutting and still is now! Yep, I'm in one of those moods tonight, and no I'm not going to explain what that one major issue is. A select few people reading this will know what I'm on about, and that is how it must stay. Let's just say that 2018 has been a life-changing year which has caused a lot of nights where sleep has been difficult to come by...

I think that's the major news, except to say I have been popping on here occasionally to read some trip reports. It's not very often, of course, but some nights I cannot cut the cord between 2018's Tech and the Tech of the past, so it's nice now and again to see what people on my subscribed threads are up to.

Finally then, thanks to those who took the time all those months ago to post such lovely comments, both on this thread and even a couple on Twitter. 99% of the time I'm nothing like the Tech I used to be, but obviously tonight I'm craving the old days somewhat! Shred, I still have you on Facebook and it's good to see you're still adventuring!

I noted being asked for my Twitter, which is @Techniquest2003

My last comment is the link to my blog, which currently details as of earlier my forthcoming plans and last week's Canada trip report:

techsworldfrenzy.wordpress.com

shredder1

Established Member
Lovely to see you visiting Tech, your presence on th site has been missed mate, nice to read your updates and exploits, enjoyed the Canadian report, not been out there for over 20 now, I must return at some point.

fowler9

Established Member
Hey all,

No, I'm not coming back! I happened to be on here looking for some of my old trip reports for posting on my new blog for world exploration trips. It's going to take some finding for my Sweden trip, let alone the others. After all, I've done reports for trips to all of these countries since November 2014, in no order:

Sweden
Norway
Austria
Switzerland
Spain
Czech Republic
Italy
USA
Canada (not on here!)

I'm sure I've missed a couple of countries out there too!

While I'm here, let's have a quick catch-up. After all, I've not posted in nearly 3 months! Let's try to keep this brief:

Since 21st February, I haven't exactly found a new hobby but I have tried a few bits and bobs. I tried getting into movies, but that's not as easy as it may sound. I'm still heavily into my beer, although wine didn't take over as it seemed it might a couple of months ago. There's an incredibly long story there! I haven't 100% given up on the railway though, I have logged all my UK railway journeys in recent months. There's not been many of them, and I did try not to make note of them but I just couldn't stop my thumbs or eyes noting them. I don't record journey times or bother adding them to RailMiles now though, and my moves book (or indeed my notebook!) hasn't been updated in ages.

One thing that has improved is my interest in the aviation world. Indeed, I went for two jobs, one with BA and one with Ryanair, in April! Those recruitment events cost me a small fortune, but all good experience I suppose. Didn't stop me getting gutted when I got rejected from both airlines within 48 hours mind!

On which note, I'm still at Asda despite efforts as hinted above to escape. I turned down an opportunity to join Aldi, although that was more because they wanted me to work in Ludlow, despite the Hereford store being within minutes of my location! I have been promised new opportunities in Asda and I'm waiting on that to start now, although quite frankly I'm doubting I'll ever ditch the greens!

I went to Toronto on my first solo trans-atlantic trip last week, which is detailed on the Wordpress blog I'll link to shortly. At least that's one thing I actually managed, I achieved my New Year's Resolution! Oh yeah, talking of, it's just over 5 months since I moved to Hereford now, which means I'm nearly 5 months into the Juliano Improvement Works mission. As for Juliano, I can't remember who actually started that at work, but it has stuck and been in use for years! The mission is a 7-phase plan (originally it was 5!) that was supposed to be much more advanced by now. Phase 1 was, after all, be completed by 21st April. As of 14th May 2018, it's close but not there yet. It *would* have been complete if a few issues hadn't taken 2 months to deal with, one in particular still occasionally (as it has tonight!) pops up as a "What if..." session of over-thinking. It ruined a quality friendship, which has been absolutely gutting and still is now! Yep, I'm in one of those moods tonight, and no I'm not going to explain what that one major issue is. A select few people reading this will know what I'm on about, and that is how it must stay. Let's just say that 2018 has been a life-changing year which has caused a lot of nights where sleep has been difficult to come by...

I think that's the major news, except to say I have been popping on here occasionally to read some trip reports. It's not very often, of course, but some nights I cannot cut the cord between 2018's Tech and the Tech of the past, so it's nice now and again to see what people on my subscribed threads are up to.

Finally then, thanks to those who took the time all those months ago to post such lovely comments, both on this thread and even a couple on Twitter. 99% of the time I'm nothing like the Tech I used to be, but obviously tonight I'm craving the old days somewhat! Shred, I still have you on Facebook and it's good to see you're still adventuring!

I noted being asked for my Twitter, which is @Techniquest2003

My last comment is the link to my blog, which currently details as of earlier my forthcoming plans and last week's Canada trip report:

techsworldfrenzy.wordpress.com
Good to hear from you Tech. Hope you can get some peace of mind and also better sleep. Glad to hear you are still travelling. I love flying as you possibly know, it can be expensive but is lots of fun, sadly I haven't done as much the last two years due to financial constraints. Sorry to hear things didn't go quite how you wanted on the work front. Things will get better, keep trying. Take care mate.

keppoch69

On Moderation
I wanted to thank you also Tech for being you I guess. I am not really someone who "does" the railway much, yet enjoyed reading your trip reports & postings. Another person I miss within the last year is one of your friend's, Dan, from here, BlindTraveller. He was another very interesting person. 1 wonders if the membership is going through a period of "churn" yet other parts are the same as they have been for years??!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wanted to thank you also Tech for being you I guess. I am not really someone who "does" the railway much, yet enjoyed reading your trip reports & postings. Another person I miss within the last year is one of your friend's, Dan, from here, BlindTraveller. He was another very interesting person. 1 wonders if the membership is going through a period of "churn" yet other parts are the same as they have been for years??!
I am not sure I quite follow, but I can assure you @Blindtraveler is still around, does still read this forum, and is just a bit busy at the moment.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Hi,

I just happened to be browsing for some trip reports tonight, and saw your reply.

I'm glad the reports have been enjoyable, please do feel free to follow my adventures exploring the world on my Wordpress page. I'm not currently expecting to be away until October now, as what I am describing as The New Era (TNE for future reference) has now launched. It's a more evolved version of my 2018 Grand Plan, Phase 1a is nearly complete at long last and I'm slowly introducing Phase 1b which will link nicely into Phase 5. I've started launching Phase 7 too, which is going to be a long mission and targeted to be complete in 4 months.

Slowly but surely, if all works out, I'll be coming back here less and less for trip reports when, quite honestly, I'm feeling lonely/bored.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well it is good to have an update Tech. You are missed (as is BT).
Hope you’re happy and doing what you want to do.
Nick

Established Member
All the best in whatever you choose to do mate. As someone who walked away for a decade, this hobby remains with you. Even if it's just going away with the lads, missus or whoever. You'll still find yourself inadvertently looking at the numbers whilst waiting to go. The only difference is, you won't write it down or Mark it in anywhere. Some excellent reads there tech.
Enjoy yourself bud. All the best

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very good evening (or morning, afternoon or any other time you're reading this) to you all!

Yes I know you're all probably fainting in shock because I'm posting on the forum for the first time in months. I think my last post on this thread in May 2018 was my last one overall on the forum. I have been reading trip reports quite a bit though, both those I have subscribed to as well as a few new arrivals on the scene. I was going to post on here early this morning, but put the phone on charge and by the time it was ready to be used again I was instead ready to hit the hay.

I've been in a rather reflective mood for the last 30 or so hours, which admittedly has not been helped by re-reading some of my old trip reports! It's been some time since my last update, so let's have a bit of a catch-up starting with a rather large piece of news from the summer:

I believe it was back in June 2018 that I decided a need to cut ties with my past and the obsession with the railway had to happen. So my moves book, atlases, Trackmaps books, my spotting books and no doubt other stuff all went into the recycling bin. I kept my A5 size notebook though, despite it having some bashing notes in it, as it also includes other stuff that I wanted to keep. I don't generally use that notebook now mind, but there's writings from February 2018 which I just can't get rid of. I really should, to try and fully get over an event that happened in Q1 2018, but I just can't bring myself to bin those yet.

The other big news from the summer was the eventual completion of my excess mass shredding. It took just under 7 months to shred 5 stone, and as I type this I really need to get to work on re-eliminating the excess fats that have accumulated since then.

My 7-phase 2018 Grand Plan has ground to a halt too, as while I left my supermarket job back in August 2018 in an effort to move onto bigger things that job didn't work out. I then, with some help, got another new job but that really didn't work out either. So recently I went back to my supermarket job, just doing so on night shifts instead now. I was hoping to never return to retail but, with the confidence to meet new people and start something new shot to pieces, it was that or nothing. So while it's not ideal, until I can get finances back under control it will just have to do!

The other phases of the Grand Plan have been put on hold too, as I just don't have the confidence to even try completing them now. There are other circumstances too, but as things stand I don't think I'll ever successfully complete the objectives. A shame as I had started learning to drive again and, for a while, I had made good progress with the other two missions too. Following my Cyprus adventure in July 2018 I had committed to under-going a 'full body MOT' as a friend put it. Which frustratingly I have not managed to do, I started it all but right now I can't be bothered to complete it.

I've still been going hard at it with my world exploration trips though, 2018 having seen me visit Spain, Canada, Cyprus, Estonia and Finland. I'm aiming to complete the year's collection on my Wordpress blog in a bit, now I've copy-pasted the Spanish trip report from this thread, but the rest of them are already on techsworldfrenzy.wordpress.com and I should add right now that while I have kept a similar style to my reports here, the content has had a bit of a re-style. Very different to the content of my reports on this forum!

I'm also making plans for 2019, although as you can imagine funds are really not there at this time to book anything. Some very major plans have already had a lot of research for them done, and it just frustrates me that I can't book any of it yet. I don't think I need to tell anyone (except for new arrivals to this area) to keep following my #TPPMode and #TechsWorldFrenzy hashtags on Twitter! Which leads nicely into mentioning I'm on Instagram too these days, and I can be found as juliano_travels on there. I will keep my Flickr account (43002) going though, and hopefully in the next week I'll actually caption my photos from Tallinn and Estonia so I can make them public. My Instagram page does have some highlights on there already, with the intention to share highlights as the trips happen on Instagram as well as Twitter. My goal though is to share at least a few photos exclusively on Twitter and a few others exclusively on Instagram, with full collections on Flickr.

So that's the bulk of the news over the last 5 months, however one last bit must be addressed:

There have been a fair few times where I've wanted to return to the railway, to my old self. Whenever I try to do so though, I just can't do it! I stopped logging any journeys except for flights for a good while, and I tried again to note my moves more recently to see if that made any difference. I did have a rather ride from Hereford to Shrewsbury about a month ago, and for that brief period I thought I could do it, that Lord Quest was back. I tested the theory again the next day too, with a trip to Runway Aviation Park near Manchester Airport. It couldn't be done, by the time I had a technical issue at Pumpkin Crewe that afternoon I found the bug hadn't returned and that Juliano was still alive and well. That evening I did find, after several beers, myself bored on a leap aboard a 390 back to Crewe scribbling down the recent moves. I even paid attention to 68024 at Crewe on my way home, but not even that got me returning to the scene. So that begs the question to be asked:

Given the current situation, would I consider returning to the scene? Well yesterday I tested this theory once again, and while my moves were noted and my official farewell to the HST was made, I would rather stay a fan of the aviation scene instead. Yes I've gone back to being somewhat nerdy, but not to the point it's taken over my entire life. I have it and a social life in a fairly reasonable balance these days, so I'm very pleased with that. The question no doubt still on the lips of some of you though, which I think I've answered already:

Do I regret binning my books? No!

It's been 15 years this month since the obsession with the railway was started with a very claggy HST leaving Swansea, way back in 2003. I did get slightly emotional saying farewell to the HST yesterday morning, after all without I wouldn't have done all the stuff I have achieved. Even so, real life moves on and I've moved onto other things too!

Will I ever return, even in many years' time? Who knows, but I don't see happening. Aviation and exploring the world is my main focus these days!

Kristofferson

Welcome back to the forum! I had no idea you’d returned to the Green Army - best of luck there :)

As an aside, I’d recommend watching the All The Stations documentary - you can recapture a love of rail travel without going back to spotting!

Established Member
Great to hear from you again, Tech.

I haven't been as interested in the rails lately myself, although as my personal circumstances changed late last year, I haven't really had the opportunity to go out very much.

I've managed to complete Merseyrail's fleet and stations, and I'm now working my way through Northern's fleet and stations. It'll probably take me a good couple of years though, if I ever manage to do it at all!

I've really enjoyed reading your blog too, keep up the good work. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.