• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Juliano's World Frenzy/Tech's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristofferson

Don't think too much on it - I can't put my finger on it, it's just a general improvement in style that comes with experience.

Not that there was anything wrong with them before!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Don't think too much on it - I can't put my finger on it, it's just a general improvement in style that comes with experience.

Not that there was anything wrong with them before!

Well I spent hours going through my 2014 reports (first 6 pages of this thread basically!) yesterday and I'm inclined to agree with you. 5 years on and I think the general feel is slightly better now. Seems to be a LOT less jargon these days, and the style seems slightly more mature.

I have noticed there's a lot less discussion on trip reports than there was in the past, although that is a fairly common theme in the community. There's also a lot less of us doing trip reports than there used to be too, certainly a noticeable drop in the last few years. Perhaps it's just a sign of the times?

All being well tomorrow I'll have something booked for my next adventure, although I am at a loss as to where I'm going. The desire to get back in the air is major, so I might have to deal with that. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait for my next flight, even though the last one was only just over a month ago!

Anyway, I'll make a decision based on flight costs etc tomorrow after work. One thing is for sure, it won't be on Ryanair! :lol:

alexf380

Established Member
This part of the forum certainly has become a lot quieter in the 4 and a bit years I've been a part of it. Many of us do still get out and about but don't really have the time/willpower/interest to write up a full report. At least, that's how I feel anyway! The list of threads I subscribed to back in the day was huge, I'd guess most of those are locked now.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
This part of the forum certainly has become a lot quieter in the 4 and a bit years I've been a part of it. Many of us do still get out and about but don't really have the time/willpower/interest to write up a full report. At least, that's how I feel anyway! The list of threads I subscribed to back in the day was huge, I'd guess most of those are locked now.

I have way too much time to myself on an average week, so writing trip reports is not a time-related issue for me. Helps fill the many hours per week which aren't occupied by work!

I too am subscribed to many trip report threads, but most of the forum members they belong to seem to have given up on them. It seems like an eternity since a visit to the reports sector of the forum would fill hours of my time. It's a shame but it's just the way it is.

I do often wonder whether it's worth me doing trip reports, especially my world exploration ones, but if nothing else I do them for my own records to look back on one day. We'll see what happens, who knows I may one day end up back in NormLand! :lol:

LowLevel

Established Member
I have way too much time to myself on an average week, so writing trip reports is not a time-related issue for me. Helps fill the many hours per week which aren't occupied by work!

I too am subscribed to many trip report threads, but most of the forum members they belong to seem to have given up on them. It seems like an eternity since a visit to the reports sector of the forum would fill hours of my time. It's a shame but it's just the way it is.

I do often wonder whether it's worth me doing trip reports, especially my world exploration ones, but if nothing else I do them for my own records to look back on one day. We'll see what happens, who knows I may one day end up back in NormLand! :lol:

I enjoy them, continue onwards!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
08/05/2019 - Don't Stop Bashin'

Ey up, welcome to this write-up for a fairly last minute London trip! I booked this late in the evening of 5th May 2019, a long story all in but the saying 'all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy' certainly applied to me in recent times. For a round trip at just £23.20 including booking fee, I couldn't turn down the opportunity to go to London and cheer myself up majorly! An intense red pen session would certainly help do just that, even though I wouldn't be in London for too long (as I typed this up I realised just how little time I'd have!) so a major clearout on LU would have to do!

It was up and about rather early for the coach at 05:05, and I was soon aboard National Express' route 445 to London. I was the only passenger all the way to Gloucester, and by cripes wasn't it wet outside today. To my surprise, we didn't go via Cheltenham and headed straight for Birdlip Hill! I spent almost the entire journey to Heathrow Central Bus Station reading, voting to stay on and alight at either Earls Court or Victoria Coach Station. When we did indeed call somewhere in the Earls Court area (West Cromwell Street I believe), so after arriving about 10 minutes late I jumped off and got moving by foot to the LU station. Via Pret next to Earls Court station of course, as I had a major need for coffee.

It was less than 10 minutes waiting for a score, with winners 21566+21565 taking me to everyone's favourite S7 hunting spot, South Kensington. It was a bit cold in London, so thankfully it wasn't too long before winners 21397+21398 took me to Sloane Square. Unbelievably, the next train 2 minutes later was formed of winners 21332+21331! Considering my S7 needs are rather low, to get 3 pairs of half-sets in less than 30 minutes was excellent!

However my joy was not to last long. We were held for quite some time before Victoria, due to a signal failure on the westbound line at Tower Hill causing much congestion. So much for hunting S7 pairs today then, when we eventually reached Victoria it was off the train and onto the Victoria line northbound to try my luck on the north side of the Circle line. Especially as there are a good few S8 pairs to hunt. However, upon seeing the crowds for the northbound line I changed tactics and got on 11077+11078 south to Stockwell, with the idea now being to try my luck on the Northern line. To be fair, that idea only came about when I saw it on the route map!

It took a few waves of the magic wand to get a winner, but the first leap fell to dud 51640 and winner 51641 to Clapham North. While here I had got to work to scribbling into my notebook my needs for the Northern line, which got interrupted by a winning pair with 51701+51501. No chance was I turning that down, so off to Clapham Common I went! A few minutes of waiting on the narrow platform got the needs list finished, and I pulled out Juliano's Magic Wand again. This time winning pair 51542+51543 produced for a leap back to Clapham North.

Duds were floating around a fair bit again, but next up to take me back to Stockwell were dud 51626 and winner 51627. By now I was also scribbling down into the notebook my Piccadilly, Bakerloo and Central needs too, if the lists weren't used today they would be there for next time. The idea was to save constantly running Word, where my digital versions of the needs lists are, all day. I actually found it handier to have it all in my notebook, quicker for referencing against that's for sure.

To Oval next, with winner 51630 and dud 51720, continuing soon enough with dud 51726 and winner 51672 to Kennington. It was time to leave the Bank branch of the Northern line alone now, and over on the Charing Cross branch platform there was a less than pleasant smell. Thankfully I was escaping that after nearly 10 minutes, which on the deep level lines can feel like an eternity. To Waterloo next, with winning pair 51591+51592 taking me there.

By now the need for a comfort break was getting significant, after all I'd been on LU for about 90 minutes by now. I couldn't help hearing Abba's Waterloo in my head as I approached the surface, which I blame on hearing it at work a few days ago! Another coffee was deemed essential, so to Pret I went before I decided the winning option was to do some SWR moves. This was settled on when I saw a winning 450, so to Vauxhall I went with dud 450040 and winner 450545. I'd seen another winner due 7 minutes behind me, and sure enough 707001 produced to take me to Clapham Junction. The plan had been to get onto Overground next, but no...

Upon arriving, there was an evacuation alarm going and people were being directed to the nearest exit! Not that many people seemed bothered, I wasn't taking the chance and marched to the city centre exit immediately. This presented an opportunity to have lunch, and I ended up at Subway for a footlong turkey, ham and cheese sub. The staff were some of the most useless I've ever seen in Subway as well, I'd not be willing to return to that one if I lived in London that's for sure.

By the time I returned, the alarms had stopped so it was back to business. This time I was after some 455 and 456 action, and thankfully the 10-car set I just missed had been all dud anyway. The next one was not much better, with double duds 456024 and 455873 leading winner 455918 for a leap to Vauxhall. Much better luck was had for the next leap to Waterloo, with double winners 455901+455712 leading dud 456003. My luck with 456s didn't get any better on the next move, which was dud 455705 with winner 455719 and dud 456010 to Vauxhall.

The very un-predictive weather (later on it was hailing. In May!) started up again with a breeze blowing rain my way, so thankfully it wasn't long before my next score. Someone must be sympathising with me and my luck, as it was onto double duds 455913+455851 with winner 456012 back to Waterloo. 6 more 456s to go then! It took a while to work out the next best choice, and after another comfort break it was back to the Northern line. Thankfully Juliano's Magic Wand was back to being charged, as I had tremendous fortune with winning pair 51590+51589 to Embankment.

No sooner had I celebrated that, it was multiple duds for about 15 minutes. The silver lining was that I had time to count my LU needs and they were starting to come down nicely! Eventually winning pair 51685+51686 took me to Charing Cross and I briefly considered doing some Southeastern stuff. No, no more distractions, I must soldier on and get these 95ers worked at! Patience paid off, as I got winning pair 51587+51586 next to Leicester Square.

While here I was noticing how fast time was going by, and I had a particular objective I wanted to achieve. So my time on the Northern line was brought to a close with winning pair 51566+51565 to Warren Street. I didn't realise just how evil the interchange to the Victoria line is here, one to avoid in the future. So why the Victoria line? You may recall last time I was in London I did the new line out of St Pancras Low Level that joins up to the ECML. This route is effectively two single line sections, one north and one south. I didn't do the south one last time, so it was time to deal with that.

11066+11065 took me on the usual fast run to Finsbury Park, and I had just missed a southbound train towards St Pancras. No matter, as it gave me time to stretch the legs in the 30 minutes I had to spare. I also ended up in Pret, and back upstairs I still had time to fill. A Moorgate service rolled in first though, and I could not resist a longer run on a 717 so took winner 717009 to Old Street. Why there? Purely to claim coverage of the rest of the route from Finsbury Park to Moorgate, having done the short distance from Old Street to Moorgate on 717006 last time. I'll no doubt do the route again anyway, but it made sense to have a longer journey on one to see if I still liked them. Which I do, the 717s are still deemed a good replacement for the 313s in my eyes.

I'd never been outside here, so with 9 minutes before the next northbound train, I ventured outside to have a look about. Unsurprisingly I noted nothing of interest, so back downstairs I went and still had 2 minutes before joining 313033+313038 back to Finsbury Park. Plenty of time before the next train to St Pancras, and I discovered Puccinos has returned to Finsbury Park, now on the p1/2 island platform. Definitely something to remember for when I start chasing 717s en-masse!

I nearly joined a winner 717, but ensured I stuck to the plan with winner 700113 to St Pancras. While on the ECML I noted a few HSTs passing, with the impending entry into service of the IET sets that will soon be a sight resigned to the history books! With the new track now finally done, and with Kite159 reminding me of that new diveunder in the London Bridge area which needs doing, I made my way to the Piccadilly line. Much to my surprise, I got a score straight away with winner 239 leading dud 144.

As time was getting on, these were taken to Green Park as the odds were it could be a while before another score. The interchange to the Victoria line took longer than I remember it doing here, and it was onto 11053+11054 to Victoria. A visit to Sainsburys Local was deemed mandatory, so a meal deal and some low-sugar chocolate was sourced. I had no idea what that chocolate would be like, but I fancied trying it anyway. Before too long it was time to board the 16:30 route 445 home. It took ages to get to the M4, and while there was some fast running there was also a lot of slow-moving traffic.

When traffic is sensible it's a nice run down the M4, but today was clearly not my day for a max power thrash down the tarmac! Indeed, in the Slough area there's upgrade work to Smart Motorway operation which is currently due for completion on this section in August 2020. The whole lot of works, between Junctions 3 and 22, is due for completion during 2022. So much like my recent-ish experience in March 2019 on the M6, it's going to be a long wait for it to be finished. I must confess to having no idea what a Smart Motorway is, something I must look up actually.

So, let's have some stats shall we? In the 6 hours of productivity in London, I managed a rather decent 34 scores. A lot of progress made all over the place, granted the scores were mostly on the Northern line but the 95ers have really grown on me, so I'm happy to have a go on them. One day I may well make some real work on the Bakerloo needs, and that is already in the pipeline for a proposed multi-day trip to London. That's all to be confirmed though, so no more spoilers! I'm now down to just 206 requirements on LU as well, which breaks down as:

8 Bakerloo
58 Central
53 Northern
51 Piccadilly
18 S7 half-sets (2 of which, 21463/21464, still have not yet been seen!)
18 S8 half-sets

Not bad really, and yes as I trekked up the M4 I really was looking forward to my next London visit. I do not, as I type this, know when it will be but I am adament I will not be waiting too long! Oh, the chocolate got devoured in the Swindon area, it was OK but not all that recommended. As for the trip title, it's an S Club 7 reference to Don't Stop Movin'. I was trying to find a good title but couldn't so that had to do.

My expected fast run did get better eventually by the way, then we had to go via Cirencester. It was still fast after that to Stroud, but a fast run up a dual carriageway is preferable to bouncing along a single carriage twisty road! If this is the standard route for the 16:30 coach I may avoid it next time. I'd never even heard of Chalford before, some little village between Cirencester and Stroud. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty area, but by now (it was almost 19:30) I just wanted to get home and not tour the English countryside!

We were running early into Gloucester, so had nearly 20 minutes there before continuing via Corse and Ledbury to Hereford. I'd not done National Express that way before, so that achievement is finally done. Arrival into Hereford was thankfully a couple of minutes early too, with work beckoning at 5am I was more than glad of that!

No idea when my next trip will be, before you ask. Japan in November is going to take up a lot of money after all...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Smart motorway - essentially variable speed limits and (usually) variable use of the hard shoulder to manage busy traffic. Increases motorway capacity considerably much more cheaply than building extra lanes. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_motorway

Chalford is a lovely place by the way, especially with the Cheltenham -Padd trains in the valley below.

The_Train

Established Member
Another good outing there mate. I can't imagine me ever spending a day on the tube, I shake just at the thought of it haha.

Smart Motorways are quite good in terms of traffic management. I learnt on a speed awareness course (yes, naughty me!) that monitors underneath the road check how close to each other cars are and if lots pass close together the system will assume traffic is building and will change the variable speed limit. Unfortunately there are flaws with the system, mainly being that those in high powered German cars tend to feel that speed limits don't affect them.

Also, I would probably avoid waving your magic wand around Clapham Common in the future.......just saying o_O;):E

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I was wondering who'd comment on the magic wand thing! I was in dire need of some humour in my trip report, and while I typed that bit up as I waited to depart the coach station that's what I came up with. Bit, umm, different! :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice to read about your trip during my lunch break today Tech.
I could probably fit my last years worth of railway action into about three paragraphs at the moment!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
29th May 2019 - Big Joan Memorial Bash

Technically this trip began the day before, with 153365+153371+170503 surprising me for the trip to Birmingham after work. A micro leap to kill time on 172213+172214 from Moor Street to Snow Hill also featured, then I joined National Express to Manchester. There I met up with the others participating in the Big Joan Memorial Bash. This was originally Operation Beer Bash 3, but we renamed the meet in honour of Big Joan, the grandmother of one of the group who sadly passed earlier in 2019. The rest of that evening involved a number of Metrolink trams, with me scoring 3050 as well as 3113, not to mention a number of beers. Some were better than others, but it has to be said that German beer was the best!

Operation Beer Bash trips usually work out like that, we meet for beers in the evening and go on the trains the day after. Well, OBB1 didn't but that is another story...So it was onto the main event, and once the off-peak had kicked in we got our combined tram and train tickets for £9. The area covered is quite significant, and while we had originally intended to do a Lancashire Day Ranger we sort of stayed out drinking longer than planned. None of us fancied heading back out at 07:30! 3094 took us to Victoria first of all, then it was to Greggs for breakfast.

Sausage and bacon baguette with more ketchup than expected, along with a large coffee, sourced and our plan for the day basically included riding on Pacers. For those following on the blog, as those reading on RailUK Forums will need no introduction to them, Pacers are notorious on the British railway as being trains made on the cheap in the 1980s. Without them numerous lines would no doubt not be in operation now, and the Pacers are due to be replaced by brand new trains any time soon in the North of England. Given one of our group likes Pacers, and their impending withdrawal, this was a good time to ride on some!

It was to our surprise straight onto 142053 and winner 142060 for the ride to Stalybridge. The ride was over far sooner than I expected, and after a few photos and finishing off breakfast it was to Piccadilly on 185103. This was my first ride on a 185 for a long time, so I had not experienced the refurbishment yet. I was immediately impressed, the difference between the original interior and the current one was incredible. Power sockets at most seats, improved comfort with the seats, improved colour scheme, free WiFi, job done! I also didn't remember the 185s being so enjoyable in terms of noise, that was a nice surprise for the ears!

It's fair to say the 185s have now become my favourite class of DMU. After some searching for the next Pacers, we found one that worked for us and after a coffee from Pret was sourced 68028 made a surprise appearance on what appeared to be a driver training run. Again, for the benefit of those not on the forum, the Class 68 locomotives will soon enter service with Transpennine Express and for the enthusiast they are mighty noisy and enjoyable for such a modern locomotive. They're already in use on Chiltern Railways and ScotRail, and their imminent start in the north of England is highly anticipated!

Winner 142032 was our steed to Hyde Central, where we would have just a short wait for a Pacer I'd not seen but another of us had thankfully noted. So it was soon onto winner 142003 and 142039 back to Piccadilly, by when I had finished my coffee and by now felt somewhat more alive! Having seen most of anything interesting on the Piccadily side of the city, we had intended to get to Victoria later on by tram anyway. However we figured Victoria would throw out stuff of higher interest and more frequently, so when we saw a train via the new Ordsall Chord was leaving shortly we raced over to platform 14 for it. No mean feat with the crowds at Piccadilly, especially as we were by platform 3. With just a couple of minutes to do it, the ultra-powerful legs came in handy and we were there in no time. 185143 was rather busy and we were at Victoria in no time.

It was not long until our first train from here, with winner 150134 and 142061 taking us to Salford Crescent. We sat in the 150 on this occasion, and the short journey was over in no time. Much to our surprise, we weren't there for even 2 minutes before we headed back to Victoria on winner 142048 with 142058 on the back. A Chester service rolled in with an unusual combination, a Pacer and a 153, thankfully neither were required as our tickets were not valid on any part of that journey. It certainly caught our eyes though!

A Leeds train from Chester soon turned up with winning 158901, so it was onto that and the comfortable seats to Rochdale. A couple of the new trains, the Class 195 DMUs, were noted on the other side of the depot at Newton Heath, and from Rochdale we were soon heading back into Manchester on winner 150224 with 150128. By now it was close to the time the Pacer enthusiast of our group had to get ready for his coach, so it was off to Shudehill on winner 3031 with 3030.

Farewells made, me and my local expert ventured back to Victoria on 3048+3059. Our next move, with limited time until I had to head south, was onto 158794+158843. Neither were of interest to me, having had them both in the past especially 843. To Rochdale we went, and the stopper back to Manchester was surprisingly winner 142035, so it was over to the bay platform for the slow journey to Victoria for the umpteenth time in one day.

We wanted to try and get photos of those 195s next, and after business was dealt with at Victoria I had wanted a coffee to warm up with. However seeing the queues it was deemed better to get on the tram instead. 3065+3093 took us to Newton Heath & Moston, and my photos came out poorly but 195112 and 195116 were looked at. They look quite nice, certainly I am keen to see what they are like to ride on.

3067 took us to St Peters Square, once we eventually got through the traffic, and a short-ish wait in the cold and rain for a tram to Piccadilly Gardens gave us 3088 for the ride. As the Spice Girls were doing several evenings of concerts at the Etihad Stadium, all trams to Ashton-under-Lyne were rather busy unsurprisingly! A quick visit to Tesco Express for a meal deal was done, and I made my farewells before boarding my coach back to Birmingham, having also sourced a coffee at considerable expense at the coach station.

Most of the way south was in traffic coming out of Manchester, then after the airport it was a fast dash to Stoke for the usual long tour around the city, once back on the M6 it was better and it was 6 minutes early into Birmingham to my surprise. I ended up on some beers before I joined 153364+153371+170510 homewards. I decided by Great Malvern to alight at Ledbury to see what was coming up from London, sadly unrequired 800305 took me home 25 minutes or so later.

I enjoyed that trip a lot, it's been a long time since I spent any real time in Manchester and getting to spend time in company of other enthusiasts was really nice to do! Quite, I enjoyed my visit to the city so much I'm going up again in the next few days. This time it's an intense solo affair, with hopefully better luck finding 319s and 185s that I want as well as Metrolink trams! A trip report for that will be made and posted in due course.

The_Train

Established Member
Enjoyed that report mate (as I tend to with yours). What a great outing to the North West and a great way of combining 2 of your hobbies and I must say your idea of naming your venture in honour of your friends' grandmother is a truly superb idea.

Loved the depth of detail with regards to the pacers (everyone loves a pacer) and the 68s. I always remember being taught at school about writing as though your audience has little knowledge of what you're writing about.

Top stuff as always, and look forward to your next Manchester instalment

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks lads, always nice to receive feedback :)

Good point you have there on writing for an audience who may not know what you're talking about, my main goal is to try a piece in a way that hooks the reader nice and early, and keep them wanting more as the read goes on. I learnt that a long time ago in an English Literature lesson and it's always stuck with me.

A good novel has a reader wanting to keep reading after just the first page, and when that happens it's a sign of a good author. I started a book by an author usually good at that the other day, but 40 pages in and I'm still not getting into the story. Which is a shame, as I like to read on long journeys but this book disappointed me. Will be starting another by a different author on Wednesday, been sat around since Christmas so high time I got on with it! :lol:

Hopefully this next trip will be at least equally productive and enjoyable, as it's a solo affair this time it might not be quite the same. Only one way to find out! The goal this time is to make a bigger dent into my Metrolink requirements, as well as get some 185s done. I'm told Northern have a few extra 319s on hire at the moment, including 319373. I'm fairly sure without checking I need that one, so it'll be very much a case of checking. I might even make my first post in a very long time on the TOPS Request Thread!

The_Train

Established Member
Sometimes being on your own allows you to get more of what you need done so I'm sure it will be equally as good.

Isn't there the ex WMT 150s knocking about the Northern area as well?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sometimes being on your own allows you to get more of what you need done so I'm sure it will be equally as good.

This is true regarding getting stuff done, and is a huge advantage when I'm away touring the world. Only a little over 3 months until that happens again! There are indeed ex-WMR 150s on Northern now, saw one on Newton Heath the other day.

Established Member
Yeah, as usual some great reads there Tech, I was shocked when I'd read Joan had passed away, RIP Joan, never met the lady but going by what I've been told by Lord Pacer, she certainly seemed like a real character.

Plenty winners in them trip reports Tech and nice to see you posting a bit more too.The waving of techs magic wand statement, I see didn't take too long to be picked up, probably the wrong turn of phrase too.

Looking forward to the next Manchester installment.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks good sir, and yes Tech's Magic Wand was intended to be humorous. It does of course refer to my pen, but the mind of the reader may take it differently! :lol: Worth noting I don't intend to use that again though!

Nothing planned after Manchester this week, apart from Budapest in September and Tokyo in November. Might squeeze in a couple of mini trips here and there but we'll see. Quite, next time it might be to Yorkshire!

fowler9

Established Member

Yeah I have been on 150105 and apparently there are two others knocking around.

Great read Tech. Always like your reports. Budapest is amazing so looking forward to hearing about that. Also Japan of course, somewhere I really want to visit.

Established Member
Thanks good sir, and yes Tech's Magic Wand was intended to be humorous. It does of course refer to my pen, but the mind of the reader may take it differently! :lol: Worth noting I don't intend to use that again though!

Nothing planned after Manchester this week, apart from Budapest in September and Tokyo in November. Might squeeze in a couple of mini trips here and there but we'll see. Quite, next time it might be to Yorkshire!
Budapest is my late Grandads birth place. That's where the 87s are aren't they? Could be some nice pics if you see any of them too.
Notice I didn't comment on the magic wand though, as my brains not a drain, unlike some, Mr Train.:lol: in fairness I'm only jealous cos he beat me to it.o_O
Gis a shout if your ever in the Newcastle again, if I can get, I'm sure we can go to the Forth pub again.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
05/06/2019 - Juliano's Improvement Scheme's Nearly Over, Day 1

Stay tuned until further into the report as to why I chose this trip report title! This report is also destined to be a RailUK Forums exclusive.

Yes I did indeed go to Manchester only a week before, but I clearly loved it so much I couldn't resist going again ASAP! Megabus travel was booked and I couldn't wait to go. I think if I had realised how expensive train tickets to Birmingham are at peak times I'd have chosen a later coach! Either way, I was booked on the 0930 from Birmingham, and I was also on the 1505 the next day back from Manchester. I could have travelled back later, but with an early start at work the day after my return I was not enduring such tiredness again!

With a hostel stay also booked, and eventually I got the TPX app installed so I could claim my Nectar points too on my Birmingham tickets, it was just a case of getting through some gruelling shifts at work first. Bring on retirement in 34 and a bit years' time...

An early start was had out of The Ford, so as to get a possible score of a GWR IET as far as Worcester first. Was my luck in, was it to be a good start to the day? I had originally planned to investigate the first IET of the day, but after getting woken up during the night I was not a fan of that idea. Not with a long day ahead! I initially flagged the 06:42 thinking it was dud 800009. Thankfully I checked though, as it was winner 802009! On I got, devouring a gorgeous coffee on the way with some pumping tunes.

My plan on the way over to Worcester had been to do the 07:35 to Birmingham via Kidderminster. However, with a need of liquid refreshment I flagged the 172s and headed towards the city centre, and stopped at Subway for a large white coffee (which it appears translates as a latte...) for £2 instead. It did give me an excuse to have some exercise during the +24 for the 07:09 Hereford-Birmingham New Street though, so that's not a bad thing. Back at Shrub Hill, I flagged the possible leap back to Foregate Street as it was dud 165118, if it had been one of my last three 165/1s I'd have run back over for it!

Onwards eventually then with 170508+153334+153364, and I had positioned myself perfectly to grab a seat in 153364. This working is noteable as it runs non-stop Droitwich Spa to University, so having seen what would form it as I left Hereford, and that the 07:32 from Hereford would be a solo 170, it was a good choice of move. I was already regretting leaving my supplies for lunch at home, the time saved sourcing it yesterday would now have to be used to pop to a shop after all today!

After arriving a couple of minutes early, my first port of call was Tesco Metro for lunch supplies, then to Tim Hortons to claim my free small coffee. A few minutes' walk away was Brunel Street, where Megabus services depart from. The wait was incredibly boring for departure on the 09:30 to Manchester, thankfully it wasn't raining! Boarding eventually started around 09:22, and we finally got going at 09:35. Much to my surprise, I got a seat at the front!

However by the time we got to Staffordshire I remembered just how much these seats aren't comfortable after a while. I don't think I'll be in a rush to use Megabus again after my return journey tomorrow! It goes without saying I took advantage of the power socket and banged on some pumping tunes for the ride. At least, unlike when I use National Express, this ride is first stop Manchester so no crawling through Stoke on Trent!

Once we got past the Smart Motorways works, for a couple of miles there were escort vehicles leading the way. No sign of an incident but it was over by Keele Services and it was back to a max power thrash towards Manchester. I had by now received word on my 319 requirements, if all was to go to plan I would go from needing 6 319s to just 3 of them. Would this be the case? Keep reading to find out!

Another reason to use National Express over Megabus was made clear by the small lavatory on board. By cripes headroom was poor, at least on NX I can stand up straight and the sink is a better size. I was starting to feel glad I hadn't booked more Megabus journeys, which I had been going to do for a proposed West Yorkshire trip! Eventually arrival at Manchester's Corporation Street was at 11:33, so I made a beeline for Victoria. We were due into Shudehill Bus Station at 11:40, but even after a bit of a tour of Manchester city centre we were still too early, so a number of us got off early.

It felt like hours waiting for 4 people to be served tickets ahead of me, but eventually my Greater Manchester Rail Ranger for £7 was sourced. A bit of a run was then had to platform 6 to ensure I got on in time, and double duds 150120+150222 took me to Salford Crescent. A bit of pacing of the platform was done before joining winner 319373 to Manchester Piccadilly. After a most enjoyable run on my first 319 in a while, I saw winner 150149 married to dud 150101 and so I ran up the island platform to get it in the book. A quick dash to Oxford Road would do the job!

Not many options of interest, so I took 323231 back to Piccadilly. The wind was getting up a bit, so the jacket came out! My patience, which is getting better these days, paid off with winner 185123 for another Oxford Road leap. My next 319 was due in a bit so I didn't go any further. Sadly it produced dud 319383 instead of 319379 as per the gen, but these things happen. I took it back to Piccadilly anyway, and as the next 185 was dud it was over to the terminal platforms to have a look there. Dud 142s were present, but there was a winner about...

To my surprise winner 150116 was on the 13:08 to Buxton, so on I got for a thrash to Stockport. Now this really is a trip down Memory Lane, I haven't done a Picc-Stockport leap in a long time. The difference being that it was for 390s last time! After just over an hour at Stockport, the most appealing thing seen or experienced in that time being a coffee, I got bored and joined 390006 back to Piccadilly. I would be just in time to see the working I was expecting a winning 319 on. Would I be having better luck this time?

Well my next move to Oxford Road was unexpected but a pleasant surprise. 158856 in all its dudness came in on a Liverpool train with winner 156473 on the back, happy days! Winner 319384 stuck to plan and it was back to Piccadilly on it, 4 more 319s to go. Dud 185146 took me around to Victoria, and I was about to go for 156490 and I got some gen on my 185s. A change of plan saw me on winner 185124 back to Piccadilly, and due to it being just before 4pm and the evening peak on the trains it was time to go and check into base camp. On this occasion it was Hatters Hostel, and after dumping un-needed stuff for the evening it was to the trams!

I had not expected such luck as what I got, I can tell you that much! Winner 3038 had dud partner in crime 3058 with it for a leap from Piccadilly Gardens to St Peter's Square, and after not too long it was to Deansgate-Castlefield on winner 3046 and dud 3017. I was here a while and I was glad I brought my headphones with me to keep the patience up! Eventually winner 3120 produced for a leap back to St Peter's Square.

Much to my surprise, the next leap was not going west but instead it was to Market Street on winner 3119. I was already happy with my results! Dud 3043 and winner 3052 were now back from Bury, so they were taken back to St Peter's Square. It's a beautiful spot architecturally to fester for trams, so I was well happy to wait around. Especially by now I'd had some food and a coffee from Greggs!

It was a while until winner 3118 produced for a leap to Deansgate-Castlefield, and more waiting and eagle-eyed spotting got me winner 3101 back to St Peter's Square. It's fair the forum's most impatient basher was getting frustrated by now, it had been a long time on the trams and I am still working on fixing that irritating personality trait.

However by now I knew my needs almost without checking, and winner 3105 took me to Exchange Square, and having seen two other requirements earlier while on the move I wanted back ASAP. Thankfully I just made it onto dud 3085 back to The Square. Eventually winner 3004 made it back with dud 3009 for a leap to Market Street. It wasn't too long before double duds 3026+3034 took me back to The Square. I still had a known winner to chase!

After what had by now been over 2.5 hours on Metrolink, winner 3062 produced to take me to Piccadilly Gardens. That was, for those who've lost track, a massive TEN scores on the trams! I hadn't really seen the Bury to Piccadilly services, and I flagged a dud pair to try my luck. Sadly I doubted my last 4 would magically produce now, and after 3 hours I was ready to get back onto heavy rail!

Dud 3051 took me to Victoria, and I was amazed to find winner 150210 for a max power thrash Rochdale leap! Even better coming back to Victoria was dud 150205 and winner 150275, I really was doing well. It got better, as after a look at options I stumbled onto winner 153317 and dud 158790 for another Rochdale leap!

Sadly for my return to Victoria my luck was out, as it was double duds 153360+150115. It is what it is eh? I had a while here, so I found a Co-Op and got a couple of bits in. I really didn't want to buy one of those, but I am struggling on that bit of the Improvement Scheme. I'm getting better, but not quite there yet. I do have the motivation and the inspiration, just sometimes it is really hard to stick to. However the revised plan has the hallmarks of pure Juliano-brand genius. I'll not explain it here, just trust me that I know what I'm doing and it won't be too many weeks until I conquer it!

Eventually winner 185101 arrives to take me to Piccadilly, due to the delay I had now missed a 390 to Stockport. Thankfully I had backup moves, and as it turned out I got dud 142052 and winner 150209 for a leap to Stockport. My intended train was late too, and winner 185111 took me back to Piccadilly. Just 2 185s were now stopping me sounding the Air Horns of Victory!

My next move was to the hostel, and including the 802 I got 23 winners all in. A very good result! I spent a good while in the lounge here drinking a couple of small beers, downloading updates for my phone on the excellent free WiFi as well as updating this report. With the company of YouTube of course!

Would Day 2 be even half as good? I was not making a positive prediction...

alexf380

Established Member
A very good day indeed Tech, and I hope the improvement plan is going well! Many winning sprinters for you there, good stuff!
Looking forward to day 2 now :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A productive day for your red pen in Manchester Mr J :)

It was indeed! As you'll see in today's report, today was less productive in one sense but hugely so in another!

A very good day indeed Tech, and I hope the improvement plan is going well! Many winning sprinters for you there, good stuff!
Looking forward to day 2 now :)

It has been hit and miss to be honest, but I've just started my new plan and this is the one I think will do it.

Very glad to see you back on the scene and evidently enjoying it bud.

Thanks good sir! Yeah it has been fun, I even managed to have some fun on my own this time! Time to think was a-plenty on this trip, and as I'm hoping you'll agree it's been used wisely. I mean, what else does one do while festering at a station or cruising up the M6 yet again?!

06/06/2019 - Juliano's Improvement Scheme's Nearly Over, Day 2

Well what a lousy stay that was! People coming and going from my dorm most of the night, uncomfortable mattress (but the quilt and pillow were awesome!), showers on push button timers that didn't get even close to hot, and not a very good breakfast either. Yes it was free, but that coffee was vile. Don't start me on the awful bread, or the leaving of bottles of milk on the side...

I still had my fill of coffee and cereal mind, given I'd barely eaten on Day 1 of this trip! It was still almost an hour until the morning peak finished, so I walked over to The Square to see if any of my last 4 trams were out. After about an hour I hadn't seen any sign of them, and with the knowledge my penultimate 185 was due at Victoria at 1010 I set off on foot to Victoria. To my surprise I was there just over 10 minutes later, and the ticket office queue was not massive this time!

Sure enough, after working out what a required 158 was doing next, winner 185112 produced for a trip to Piccadilly. I just need 185108 to clear the class now! I just missed a required 150, but I knew what it was doing next so it was all good. I was onto a Buxton next, as winner 156420 headed what turned out to be dud 150123. I was going to Stockport on it, but glad I didn't and bailed at Levenshulme instead. Why? Winner 319362 produced unexpectedly, happy days! A run over to dud 319383 which I thought was on a Blackpool service was done, thankfully I checked upon arrival at Oxford Road where it stopped as it was actually a Preston train non-stop to Wigan North Western!

After sourcing a coffee from Pumpkin, I joined dud 319367 for a ride to Bolton. I was due to have a tidy +7 onto what I expected that 150 to be on there, and this would of course be my first ride on the Bolton corridor on an electric train. Quite the enjoyable ride had, and I had forgotten just how massive Bolton is, it took me nearly 3.5 minutes to do the long trek to the bridge and over to platform 3!

Thankfully a Hazel Grove train was running late, as it was winner 319379, on I got for a max power thrash down to Salford Crescent. The driver was keen to make up time and there was no complaining about how noisy this 319 was! I only need 319385 and 319422 to get the lot, sadly the latter is apparently being converted to a 769 so I've missed out there. To potentially get all but one of the rather large class scored though is, for me at least, very impressive!

After a good few minutes at Salford Crescent, the expected DMUs arrived and I joined dud 142004 and winner 150147 to Victoria. Just 5 more 150s to go! On arrival at Victoria my train was no longer going to Stalybridge but back to Southport with the Southport train on platform 6 suddenly being the Stalybridge. Good thing I got that 150 when I did then, and that new pair to Stalybridge had a winner 150 on it. However I had a date with a 158 first!

Thankfully winner 158910 produced for a leap to Rochdale, just two more Northern 158s to go! I could have waited another 11 minutes instead for a service to Chester, but given my stomach was tying itself in knots by now, the decision to get back to Victoria on double duds 150220+150142 was deemed sensible. At that moment in time, I only had a limited number of things I wanted to do and trains were not one of them, food HAD to take priority!

I still had a quick look around Victoria, both on Northern and Metrolink, but nothing of interest was due any time soon. I ended up on double duds 3043+3052 to Market Street about 10 minutes later, and I was so hungry that I would have even gone for a salad at that point! Yes, I really did say that!

I got myself into Burger King rather fast, and for £4.99 I got a Bacon King Box. That consists of a Bacon King Junior burger, 4 nuggets, a small drink and a small fries. I thoroughly enjoyed that, it must be said, and after devouring the meal I rated it higher than a max thrash ride with a 37. My stomach was certainly celebrating!

Next was letting it settle in a bit and watching out for winner trams. Not long after eating I stumbled across winner 3068 on a MediaCityUK service, I must have missed that earlier in the morning and I just managed to get onto it in time for a ride to The Square. 3 to go!

In what was rather nice weather, I was pacing around The Square (I should have mentioned before this is my nickname for St Peters Square) for about an hour in the vain hope 3027, 3103 or 3111 would produce. In the end they didn't and I settled for a ride on 3023+3048 to Shudehill, ready for my ride home on Megabus. I still had a while though, so I popped into Gather & Gather for a monsterously enjoyable coffee. Great service, a card only place and excellent coffee, I will take advantage of its location again!

Eventually the 15:05 to Cwmbran (via Birmingham, Bristol and Cardiff) arrived and I found a seat on the left side next to someone. On with the charge for the phone, and YouTube on while I got this report updated. 17 minutes late and we were off on a much busier bus than the one I had on the way north.

It's worth noting I had a moment of brilliance with the health improvement scheme I'm currently on while I was festering at Shudehill. It never ceases to surprise me how utterly useful people watching can be, it inspired this new idea. I'll not go into it here, quite I plan to keep most of the multi-level idea to myself but a key part of it is to treat myself to something nice whenever I have successful days. I can see myself accelerating progress now!

Once on the M56, after slow traffic out of Manchester, it was time to explain this report's title. I went through many different options, but this one came to mind about midway through day 1. Regular readers will already know about 2018's extensive variety of changes, which I dubbed the Juliano Improvement Scheme. Some aspects of that got binned, others postponed but some did actually get achieved. However there are still some objectives that haven't yet been completed, and they are rather high on my priority list.

There's WAY too much to go into, and some of you reading this will already know how tough things have been. However, everything's been taken into consideration in recent weeks and there has been much in the way of analysis, processing and all that. Again, no major details here as I'll be here all day, but the good news is I have a clear sight of my objectives and goals now. As I described it to a few people at work, I know where I've been, where I am now and where I'm going. It's just figuring out the 'how will I get there' which has been a challenge lately, and with each failure to get it sorted, I have new ideas. As they say, everything happens for a reason even if it's not clear why!

It has been a long, tedious, emotional and both physically and mentally draining 15 and a bit months getting to this point. Yes I really have been working things out since February 2018! I won't lie to you, 2018 could have gone far better, I'm not proud of a lot of stuff that happened. Those of you reading this who stuck with me, and you know who you are, even though I've been insufferable, I can't say it better right now than thank you.

So the Improvement Scheme, it's not over yet but it is getting close to done. I'm convinced I can finish it off with the intended end goal now. I have a plan to do so, and while it won't be finished for a good few weeks at the least I now know this is the penultimate stage. I had to spend a lot of time fixing my own head, but I've now done that. A key thing here is that I now have found my balance between a part time railway enjoyment and what I still call 'NormLand'. I'm now happy to switch between the two as and when necessary, which may sound easy enough to all of you but it wasn't for me!

That bit was a key part of the Improvement Scheme, and now it's done I'm well chuffed! By my estimate, there are only two key things left to sort out, then it's onto the very final stage of the scheme. So now I've gone on about all that, what does this mean for you, the readers of these trip reports? It means there will be infrequent reports now and again, just probably on a more mature level. I'm still working on my wishlist for worldwide travel, by the way, and I am now close to sorting all that out. Only a few things left to do...

So, back to the trip! Sorry that went on for a while, as you can see there was a lot to explain! I also invested some time in reviewing some old notes from November 2018 with pumping tunes on, and by 16:59 we had just passed Junction 12 on the M6. The end of the trip was approaching already, 20 miles to Birmingham. I've seen the M6 way too much this year, a break from it will be seriously welcome! This was also scheduled to be the last trip for a while all in, but I did have plans to get back on the move by early July 2019. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that a break from travelling is needed to focus on non-railway stuff, but don't panic I will be back!

What was interesting is that we used the M6 Toll on this run, not used it in a long time! Arrival back into Birmingham's Brunel Street was at 17:56, 21 minutes late. I had considered doing a 68 as far as Kidderminster, but the eventual arrival home at nearly 10pm was not worth it. So I aimed for the 18:20 from New Street instead, as I would then be home by 8pm. Much more reasonable! After sourcing two IPAs from M&S, the inward working of my train finally arrived and I joined 170502+153375 home. Obviously partaking of DBT!

For anyone curious, I'm not a fan of the Double Hopped Citra IPA, but the Laid Back IPA was far nicer to drink. Both had tropical fruity flavours but Laid Back was better! My idea for fully launching the health improvement part of my scheme was deemed to be flawed on this journey home, so I've revised it and once I put pen to paper with it I am committed! If anything will make me do this, this is the self-motivating plan that will do it, if it doesn't then I'm all out of ideas!

One minute late into Hereford at 19:43 and I wasted no time getting home to cook some much needed food, having not eaten since BK! Until the next time all!

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least your ticket would have been valid to Wigan on that 319 (and it's a good run as they get some decent speed)

Unlike a few years ago with a certain unexpected trip to Wickford ;)

Sounded like a productive day, getting down to a single Northern 319, plus a single 185 (this is when it would have popped up at Victoria on a service fast to Huddersfield or fast towards Liverpool)

noddy1878

Established Member
Very productive couple of days. Good to see you enjoying yourself on the railways again! :D

At least your ticket would have been valid to Wigan on that 319 (and it's a good run as they get some decent speed)plus a single 185 (this is when it would have popped up at Victoria on a service fast to Huddersfield or fast towards Liverpool)

I saw my last 185 in the peak and the move I worked it out on coming back on turned out to be a farce! Not seen it since! It hid from me the last three attempts or should I say possible chances to get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.