• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Julie Berry equals Margaret??

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonbridge

Established Member
On the train this morning:

(Julie Berry anouncement)

This train is the Southern service to Horsham. We are now approaching Redhill".

followed by

"Good morning this is Johnny your onboard supervisor and as Margaret just said we're now arriving into Redhill. If you're leaving us here......", etc, etc

Why call her "Margaret"? Granted, most people don't know (or indeed care about) the identity of the announcer but if you're going to name them then why use the wrong name? Why not just say "and as you just heard......"? Or is referring to her as Margaret an industry joke that I wasn't aware of? :s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SPADTrap

Established Member
Probably a joke the OBS thought up there and then. I don't know. Maybe you should have asked the OBS for a more accurate answer. I've heard names like 'Digital Doris' before but never 'Margaret'.

pdeaves

Established Member
For that matter, why refer back to what's been said? 'Margaret' has already said you are arriving at Redhill, why tell everyone that 'someone else' has just told you you're arriving at Redhill? Just carry on from where the announcement left off ("If you're leaving...", etc.)

BestWestern

Established Member
For that matter, why refer back to what's been said? 'Margaret' has already said you are arriving at Redhill, why tell everyone that 'someone else' has just told you you're arriving at Redhill? Just carry on from where the announcement left off ("If you're leaving...", etc.)

Because most people using a PA like to make an announcement with a beginning, a middle and an end; it's pretty natural to do it that way. Beginning mid-flow is not particularly friendly and feels a tad 'odd'.

Lrd

Established Member
On the Underground we call her "Sonia" as she often "gets on ya nerves" :p

londonbridge

Established Member

That reminds me of an X26 bus driver, who, after the ibus announced "Broad Street, Teddington", came over the tannoy and said "well as you just heard we're now arriving at Teddington, on departure from Broad Street our next stop will be Hatton Cross".

Parallel

Established Member
On the Underground we call her "Sonia" as she often "gets on ya nerves" :p

There was me thinking you got Natalie Cassidy (Sonia from Eastenders) to record London Underground announcements. :p

SPADTrap

Established Member
Sounds like staff trying to be a bit more human.

Cooler - 3 weeks!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That reminds me of an X26 bus driver, who, after the ibus announced "Broad Street, Teddington", came over the tannoy and said "well as you just heard we're now arriving at Teddington, on departure from Broad Street our next stop will be Hatton Cross".
That's doing a service imo: he's letting passengers know it's not stopping en route to Hatton Cross.

tsr

Established Member
Jonny the OBS is a decent fellow, has cheered loads of people up and tends to come out with inoffensive things like that, apparently fairly spontaneously. I’m sure there was no intention to actual equate that voice with someone called Margaret. In any case, very very very few Southern staff will have ever heard that the announcement voiceover is linked to the name “Julie Berry”. Caring about the name of the voiceover is definitely an enthusiast thing, and not all staff are enthusiasts.

(OK, that’s not the whole truth... as it so happens, by sheer coincidence, there are actually a couple of OBSs called Jonny who do the rounds saying stuff like that. No harm in it!)

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Because life isn't stiff and boring and they wanted to lighten things up.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Southern have been making mistakes like this en-route for some time and it is becoming a far too often occurrence nowadays. The OBS should know the name of the on-board announcer. I don't think anyone could contest that. The fact that they don't, is frankly scary - as if they cannot get the fundamentals right - what else is going to go wrong? It begins with calling Julie Berry Margaret, but I would not be surprised if the OBS had opened the doors wrong-side that very same day, or perhaps even the Driver had taken a wrong route. Completely within the question considering the carelessness of this announcement.

I would advise that you write to Southern ASAP - preferably with the name of the OBS, and the date/time of the service, and enquire further why their staff are making such gross errors within their safety critical role. I would argue that you are entitled to a significant amount of compensation considering the clear distress that this error has caused you, and perhaps I would also request evidence that the OBS had been given a development plan or perhaps even a suspension until a thorough investigation into the matter can be concluded. If you need any help writing the letter, I am available via PM on this forum, and it would be well worth copying in the DfT, and Passenger Focus on this matter.

Standards are constantly slipping on the network and it should not be allowed to continue - it is a true downward spiral.

Edit: Well worth raising this issue publicly on Twitter also - I am not sure if Southern senior management are present on there, but it is always helpful to create a 'public storm' with issues of this severity, as once other people realise what are going on it will be very difficult for Southern not to take action.

Last edited:

SPADTrap

Established Member
Southern have been making mistakes like this en-route for some time and it is becoming a far too often occurrence nowadays. The OBS should know the name of the on-board announcer. I don't think anyone could contest that. The fact that they don't, is frankly scary - as if they cannot get the fundamentals right - what else is going to go wrong? It begins with calling Julie Berry Margaret, but I would not be surprised if the OBS had opened the doors wrong-side that very same day, or perhaps even the Driver had taken a wrong route. Completely within the question considering the carelessness of this announcement.

I would advise that you write to Southern ASAP - preferably with the name of the OBS, and the date/time of the service, and enquire further why there staff are making such gross errors within their safety critical role. I would argue that you are entitled to a significant amount of compensation considering the clear distress that this error has caused you, and perhaps I would also request evidence that the OBS had been given a development plan or perhaps even a suspension until a thorough investigation into the matter can be concluded. If you need any help writing the letter, I am available via PM on this forum, and it would be well worth copying in the DfT, and Passenger Focus on this matter.

Standards are constantly slipping on the network and it should not be allowed to continue - it is a true downward spiral.

Edit: Well worth raising this issue publicly on Twitter also - I am not sure if Southern senior management are present on there, but it is always helpful to create a 'public storm' with issues of this severity, as once other people realise what are going on it will be very difficult for Southern not to take action.

Bravo sir bravo! :lol:

Minilad

Established Member

I would advise that you write to Southern ASAP - preferably with the name of the OBS, and the date/time of the service, and enquire further why there staff are making such gross errors within their safety critical role. I would argue that you are entitled to a significant amount of compensation considering the clear distress that this error has caused you, and perhaps I would also request evidence that the OBS had been given a development plan or perhaps even a suspension until a thorough investigation into the matter can be concluded. If you need any help writing the letter, I am available via PM on this forum, and it would be well worth copying in the DfT, and Passenger Focus on this matter.

Please tell me this is a wind up

londonbridge

Established Member

I would advise that you write to Southern ASAP - preferably with the name of the OBS, and the date/time of the service, and enquire further why their staff are making such gross errors within their safety critical role. I would argue that you are entitled to a significant amount of compensation considering the clear distress that this error has caused you, and perhaps I would also request evidence that the OBS had been given a development plan or perhaps even a suspension until a thorough investigation into the matter can be concluded. If you need any help writing the letter, I am available via PM on this forum, and it would be well worth copying in the DfT, and Passenger Focus on this matter.

Thanks for your advice, I'll get started on the letter first thing in the morning, oh and i'll be sure to copy in my MP and Chris Grayling........:lol::lol:;)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
There was me thinking you got Natalie Cassidy (Sonia from Eastenders) to record London Underground announcements. :p

She’s our daughter, Martin!”
Haha if they got her to do announcements then I would be worried! Or worse still, they could get Karen Taylor to do them!

Margaret was probably a bad guess her name is most definitely Julie Berry.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Caring about the name of the voiceover is definitely an enthusiast thing, and not all staff are enthusiasts.
It's very unlikely that any would actually care about the name, but it's certainly possible that some would have made a journey on the Piccadilly line (or really pushing the boat out, Merseyrail) and wondered if the announcements sounded familiar from somewhere...

headshot119

Established Member

*mic drop*

Take a bow sir!

Clip

Established Member
I would be stunned if most railway employees knew who on earth she was and nor would they actually care about someone calling her anything different.

Status
Not open for further replies.