• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jumping in front of a train or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 375 King

I have just seen the most rediculous thing, a young lad, at Ponders End making like he was going to jump infront of a fast train, but not. What a pillock

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
If a person is genuinely feeling suicidal due to mental health or other overwhelming problems, that's very unfortunate and sad indeed, and they need the best help possible. On the other hand, many young people unfortunately are not aware - through a lack of both common sense and education - of the dangers of the railway (which, as we all know, can lead to KSI incidents) and thus they can pretend and fool around, doing such horrible things as pretending to jump.

People who pretend to jump for no good reason deserve to be dealt with very severely by the law, as they will of course distract staff and distress other passengers, some of whom perhaps (though it could seem unlikely) may unfortunately be mentally ill and prompted by such pretence to actually jump themselves.

My fullest sympathies go to any staff who have to deal with the traumatic "what-if" scenarios after a person pretends to commit suicide in front of them.

Some older people are naturally just as prone to stupidity, including enthusiasts who are too close to the track, but perhaps they are less likely to fool around pretending to jump in front of a train (unless drunk or on drugs).

This scenario is besides the whole other situation of people forgetting to stand back when a non-stopping train passes through the platform upon which they are standing - that'll normally the clueless 20-something with the earphones in, I have to say - which is pretty much equally dangerous.

Ring the BTP when you witness it.

Yes, or use the station help point, if this is possible without aggravating the situation.

Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
You see people doing it "for a laugh" as a driver. You also see comedians pretending to push their mates in front of the train too. The high/loud tone of the horn gets held down until their ears bleed when they do it to me.

VTPreston_Tez

This scenario is besides the whole other situation of people forgetting to stand back when a non-stopping train passes through the platform upon which they are standing - that'll normally the clueless 20-something with the earphones in, I have to say - which is pretty much equally dangerous.

I don't really get this. I've heard it plenty of times as a youngster, on RailUK, and YouTube but if it's the piston effect which involves pushing away air - how is it dangerous? Or is this not the piston effect so can somebody explain how this is a danger?

tsr

Established Member
could it not be that this kid came to his senses a second before he was going to jump and had a quick change of idea

It always could be, and as I said above, that's very sad that he came so close, and he needs help. However, it is perhaps slightly more likely (or thought to be so) that it was an ignorant, stupid game.

Perhaps those who are idiots and are pretending will realise the consequences of their actions only when I push the emergency stop button at a tube station, or when a train driver does an emergency stop with twelve coaches behind them... it might wake them up... I just hope they don't kill themselves.

district

I was watching a video on RailNetChannel which showed a (I think) LM ticket office clerk who received training from the Samaritans to try and defuse and assist in situations like this.

Speaking as someone who has been in this kind of situation before, I think we need to remember that people who are in the state of mind where they could end their life should not be shouted at and told they are selfish - those in that state have no scope or capacity to be empathetic with others they directly involve.

I do whole-heartedly appreciate that it causes severe distress to a variety of different people, but in my opinion the blame in these cases is down to letting the person get in that state in the first place, hence why I support the Samaritans doing work with railway staff.

D6700

Whilst clearly not a good situation described by the OP, however, I do like the irony in the name of the station where this took place!

WestCoast

Established Member
Not on NR, but does anyone remember the driver featured on an episode of "The Tube" who talked about a very unfortunate accident at Earl's Court Underground Station. This was where a few guys were mucking about pretending to push each other in front of the train and one pushed too hard, which took them and an innocent bystander onto the tracks, where they all sadly perished.

Last edited:

VTPreston_Tez

Not on NR, but does anyone remember the driver featured on an episode of "The Tube" who talked about a very unfortunate accident at Earl's Court Underground Station. This was where a few guys were mucking about pretending to push each other in front of the train and one pushed too hard, which took them and an innocent bystander onto the tracks.

I remember that. Absolutely shocking moment.

DavyCrocket

I spotted whilst watching the CCTV used to spot train set numbers a person that pretended to jump in front of a train. Called the station - busy zone one - with a few trains left. Station staff came down and I directed them to him. BTP then turned up to assist him from the station. Hopefully that learned him!

ReverendFozz

tsr:1114359 said:
could it not be that this kid came to his senses a second before he was going to jump and had a quick change of idea

It always could be, and as I said above, that's very sad that he came so close, and he needs help. However, it is perhaps slightly more likely (or thought to be so) that it was an ignorant, stupid game.

Perhaps those who are idiots and are pretending will realise the consequences of their actions only when I push the emergency stop button at a tube station, or when a train driver does an emergency stop with twelve coaches behind them... it might wake them up... I just hope they don't kill themselves.

If this person was in fact mucking about pretending to put themselves in front of a train, then BTP should come down so hard on them and charge with every possible public orde offence, Breach of the Peace and Causing Harrassment, Alarm or Distress...

I have seen first hand what can happen in these situations and it is not nice, witnessed someone throw themselves under a train on the LU when I was about 15 or 16 and had nightmares for years about it, I could not block it out and never went near an LU for about 5 years after when I was in London, and in 2000 a mate of mine was killed by a train near Durham when he trespassed by taking a shortcut over the line at Nevilles Cross near Durham, to think people does stuff like for a job or so called makes me sick and these people must have a screw loose and be so f****d up in the head

user15681

Established Member
I have seen first hand what can happen in these situations and it is not nice, witnessed someone throw themselves under a train on the LU when I was about 15 or 16 and had nightmares for years about it.

Unfortunately, I too have witnessed a one under on LU. It's one of the most shocking things ever, I can't begin to imagine what the driver went through.

As far as the rest of this thread goes, it's easily to speculate and stereotype that a teenager would be intentionally trying to imitate a suicide. Of course, if he was 'joking around', then it's disgusting and the law should come down hard on him.
Alternatively, we don't know what was going on in his head and so can't comment. By no means do I condone jumping in front of a train, but in the time and place these people only do what they feel is right and don't think rationally about the consequences.

ReverendFozz

An unstable depressed mind is dangerous in some people and you have to be in such a dark place to be on that platform, while it screws people up and can be seen as quite cowardly, it must take some guts to go in quite a violent way, I will not speculate much further on this issue...

As for was pointed earlier, I was quite shockingly amused at the irony, given the name of the station the OP mentioned

Michael.Y

Established Member
On a slightly different subject related to crying wolf, I was working a train the other day when a lady informed me she had seen something suspicious in the toilet. I immediately stopped work, parked my trolley and investigated the toilet. I even stopped someone from going in there. When I found nothing, I was perplexed, however when I returned to say "there's nothing there" she said "I was only joking;" apparently she was referring to the number two her young daughter had left in the pan.

Not being overly 100% sure of the protocol, and/or if she had committed any breach of bylaw, I bit my tongue and muttered "oh right. Thanks" but my icy stare must have spoke volumes, as she shut up pretty quickly and started "deliberately" reading her magazine. Needless to say the daughter found this hilarious.

Dr.iver

I had two school girls do this to me once at Norwood Junction, as I slammed the emergency brake in and came to a halt I noticed they had failed to spot the two BTP officers standing the other side of the platform building, quick call to the signaller and I sat and watched as they got nicked.
Never did find out what happened to them but it was bloody scary as one slipped in the last stride and struggled to stop herself falling of the platform in front of me.
Unfortunately it's always a laugh too them until something goes wrong

supersaver

a friend of mine has had 7 one unders on LU !!! yes 7, unlucky or what??
How He's not a resident in the local loony bin i do not know.

What these people don't realise is that they don't always die and can be left with life changing injuries often in wheelchairs with limbs missing or even left in a body they can't use but are completey aware of everthing else around them!!!

these incidents don't just effect the driver, but a lot of other people involved too, like btp, police, fire crews and station staff and passenegers.

Dieseldriver

Had some idiot pretend to throw his mate in front of my train a few times, nearly ended up in front of me once. Utterly hilarious... :roll:

Tommy3000

People who pretend to jump for no good reason deserve to be dealt with very severely by the law
Does anyone know what offence, if any, is committed by pretending to jump in front of a train?

tsr

Established Member
Does anyone know what offence, if any, is committed by pretending to jump in front of a train?

Byelaw 6(2):

No person shall behave in a disorderly, indecent or offensive manner on the railway.

Possibly even Byelaw 6(8), especially if passenger services are disrupted, or if passengers are distressed:

No person shall molest or wilfully interfere with the comfort or convenience of any person on the railway.

But, more pertinently, Byelaw 11(1):

No person shall move, operate, obstruct, stop or in any other way interfere with any automatic closing door, train, or any other equipment on the railway except:

(i) in an emergency, by means of any equipment on or near which there is a notice indicating that it is intended to be used in an emergency; or
(ii) any equipment intended for the use of passengers in that way in normal operating circumstances.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't really get this. I've heard it plenty of times as a youngster, on RailUK, and YouTube but if it's the piston effect which involves pushing away air - how is it dangerous? Or is this not the piston effect so can somebody explain how this is a danger?

There is a strong suction effect once the rear of the train has passed which, at high enough speeds, can drag quite large items off the platform especially with non-streamlined stock.

tsr

Established Member
Very sadly, it sounds like further KSI PHBT incidents have occurred today. There is an unconfirmed (and I stress unconfirmed) report that a teenager has been hit by a train on a level crossing near Doncaster - a PHBT incident has occurred between Doncaster and Retford for definite at about 2130hrs. I only hope this wasn't caused by someone thinking it was funny to outrun a train, pulling a prank or simply ignoring the dangers, but I don't want to speculate, and we will almost certainly never know. Another incident has taken place near Beckenham Junction, too.

DJ_K666

If this person was in fact mucking about pretending to put themselves in front of a train, then BTP should come down so hard on them and charge with every possible public orde offence, Breach of the Peace and Causing Harrassment, Alarm or Distress...

I have seen first hand what can happen in these situations and it is not nice, witnessed someone throw themselves under a train on the LU when I was about 15 or 16 and had nightmares for years about it, I could not block it out and never went near an LU for about 5 years after when I was in London, and in 2000 a mate of mine was killed by a train near Durham when he trespassed by taking a shortcut over the line at Nevilles Cross near Durham, to think people does stuff like for a job or so called makes me sick and these people must have a screw loose and be so f****d up in the head

I saw someone go under back in 2000 at East Worthing. I still haven't forgotten that noise.

ReverendFozz

I saw someone go under back in 2000 at East Worthing. I still haven't forgotten that noise.

It is horrible, all I remembered in my experience was screaming, for some reason I blocked out every other noise, I was in own dark place at the time and that set me back years, I would never wish that experience on my worst enemy

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Buffer68

I normally go down to Newton Abbot station a coupe of times a week after work and I was down there a couple of weeks ago when the female platform assistant came to where I was and said what a great hobby I had but to take care as they had had two fatalities on the FGW network that day. I explained that I always stand well back - which apparently a couple of train photographers weren't doing a few days previously; to the point of looking right over the track. It is a shame that some make a bad name for our hobby.
As to the youngsters that fool around on platforms, they should be dealt with in an educational way in my opinion; make them realise the dangers. So sad too that so many people jump on purpose of course. Such times that we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.