• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Junction indicators

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver9000

Established Member
Again, local route knowledge is essential
I suggest you ask your trainer if there are any local locations where this applies, they are very rare
Equally, well spotted and bring this to their attention

Agreed. This is one of those situations where seeing the rule applied in the real world on the routes you will work over (if any exist) is a big help to jamming it into your brain.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
Scotty Boy
No worries.

Please dont worry about any questions, as Pendelino suggests raise any question here and one of the qualified Drivers on here will be along with an answer.

A tip for you. IF you get the chance to visit a PSB make up a list of questions like this and raise them when you go as the PSB staff are normally more than happy to explain and show things to people who show an interest.

In the past I even let trainee Drivers work the panel (under supervision of course) when they showed an interest and some even stayed long after the rest had gone for the day.

455driver

Veteran Member
So now wouldnt be a good time to mention signals with a position 1 route indicator that only has 1 possible route from it!

Thought not.:lol:

XC Driver is spot on and when you get out driving all the confusing classroom stuff will start to make sense (hopefully)!

As OT says if you get the chance to visit a signal box (I think all drivers should) they will be more than happy to answer any question you may have regardless of how obscure it is.

driver9000

Established Member
A tip for you. IF you get the chance to visit a PSB make up a list of questions like this and raise them when you go as the PSB staff are normally more than happy to explain and show things to people who show an interest.

I know TOCs structure their training differently but signal box visits were built into our training. We visited a PSB and were supposed to visit a mechanical box but it fell through for whatever reason. We ended up in a signallers training school for the afternoon playing on the NX sim and was given a demonstration of the lever frame sim. Brilliant day out, absolutely fascinating.

Old Timer

Established Member
So now wouldnt be a good time to mention signals with a position 1 route indicator that only has 1 possible route from it!

Thought not.:lol:

XC Driver is spot on and when you get out driving all the confusing classroom stuff will start to make sense (hopefully)!
It was all too confusing for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Easier to sit in the PSB and work the panel and let the equipment do the thinking ;) :lol:

Minilad

Established Member
Flashing Yellows anyone !!

I must admit I would love to visit more PSBs. I have visited 3 Glasgow Central, Newport and Saltley. We just never seem to get offered the chance

Scotty boy

I have already visited a signal box OT on tuesday infact, but the topic on the junction indicator was this morning, Those signalers dont have work hard

Old Timer

Established Member
(Ducks and hides) <D
And so you should !

The things I did for you guys, blocks on the Fast in the peak etc, etc and everything else you got away with - really !

Time for a nice long unspecified track defect in a long section walk time for you ! Once it gets cold and really wet in the early hours <(

455driver

Veteran Member
I have already visited a signal box OT on tuesday infact, but the topic on the junction indicator was this morning, Those signalers dont HALF work hard

I think this is what he meant OT, it now reads slightly different to what he originally posted!:lol:

455driver

Veteran Member
Flashing Yellows anyone !!

I must admit I would love to visit more PSBs. I have visited 3 Glasgow Central, Newport and Saltley. We just never seem to get offered the chance

Do you get "route refresh" days?
If so ask your DM if he can arrange something for you on 1, cant do any harm.

Minilad

Established Member
Do you get "route refresh" days?
If so ask your DM if he can arrange something for you on 1, cant do any harm.

We do yes. Might have a go at that. Having said that he reads these forums so he might suggest it himself now ;)
I do think drivers and signallers should have more interaction, would certainly break down a few barriers I think

Hydro

Established Member
Time for a nice long unspecified track defect in a long section walk time for you ! Once it gets cold and really wet in the early hours <(

"Sorry Bobby, can't find anything. Wait 'til morning, I'll send the lads down. Keep a 20 slack on until then, can't be too careful. I'm off for a kebab and bed."

Yes, that'll do it. -sloping shoulders-

Hydro

Established Member
On a moderately more serious note, I'd like to poke my head around the door of Derby PSB. There's a perceived unacknowledged rivalry twixt them and my current line of work and I'd like to see the cold, hard truth.*

*Which is of course "See a Q on the TD and hold in Goods Loop/Pilot Line/Orbit of Neptune (delete as appropriate" *ahem*

driver9000

Established Member
Preston is a box I haven't had chance to visit yet. The opportunity has been there but not the slot.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Used to in VXC days. Not anymore unfortunately. I do miss Mick's Hut and the fantastic Kebabs !

Mick says 'hi!' :D

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I was very lucky to have the chance to visit London Bridge PSB in the summer before last. It was a fascinating experience, and I just wish I could have stayed longer!

Slightly more on topic, do drivers and signallers working the same route ever get a chance to meet and discuss issues that arise? It strikes me that because of the fragmented industry today that neither side really gets to experience what the other side does.

driver9000

Established Member
I was very lucky to have the chance to visit London Bridge PSB in the summer before last. It was a fascinating experience, and I just wish I could have stayed longer!

Slightly more on topic, do drivers and signallers working the same route ever get a chance to meet and discuss issues that arise? It strikes me that because of the fragmented industry today that neither side really gets to experience what the other side does.

There is a reciprocal (supposedly) arrangment that gives Drivers and Signalmen the opportunity to enter each others world. The Signamen can ride with us with a cab pass and we can ask to visit the box. It rarely happens though, a couple of years since I last saw a Signallers pass.

Minilad

Established Member
There is a reciprocal (supposedly) arrangment that gives Drivers and Signalmen the opportunity to enter each others world. The Signamen can ride with us with a cab pass and we can ask to visit the box. It rarely happens though, a couple of years since I last saw a Signallers pass.

I have had it once. The guy was from Macclesfield box.
It is something I feel would be a real benefit to both parties. Pity it happens so rarely

AlexS

Established Member
I have an example I've come up with I think of what you mean - leaving Wolverhampton going north. Straight ahead is the Shrewsbury line (Down and Up Wellington), diverging to the right is the WCML Loop (Down and Up Stour). You get the feather indicator for the Shrewsbury line despite it being straight on as the line speed is slower. (50 vs 75 EPS I think off the top of my head?).

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I always tend to think of it as the Junction indicator is for the slower or secondary routing. I am struggling to think of somewhere where I get a feather for a higher speed routing

Aynho is the closes place I can think of, where the up Oxford is the main aspect (90mph) and the up Bicester gets a number 2 indicator, and that is also 90mph over the points then 100mph a few hundred yards later. Obviously the reason for this is historical, the up Bicester was a lower speed until recently, but it is the only example I can think of where the route indicator isnt for a lower speed route.

Old Timer

Established Member
On a moderately more serious note, I'd like to poke my head around the door of Derby PSB. There's a perceived unacknowledged rivalry twixt them and my current line of work and I'd like to see the cold, hard truth.
Give them a call whilst you still can.

They are a good bunch. I know them up there if it helps.

..Which is of course "See a Q on the TD and hold in Goods Loop/Pilot Line/Orbit of Neptune (delete as appropriate" *ahem*
Bearing in mind a previous quote I think it will be a lot of Sunny Hill for you soon.

Last edited:

Saltleyman

At Kingsbury Station Junction (controlled by Saltley PSB) on the Down the straight on route is the "Slow" line via Whitacre Junction, the Main (fast) line
goes off to the right, you receive a main aspect for the right hand route and a JI indicator for the straight on route.

Old Timer

Established Member
At Kingsbury Station Junction (controlled by Saltley PSB) on the Down the straight on route is the "Slow" line via Whitacre Junction, the Main (fast) line
goes off to the right, you receive a main aspect for the right hand route and a JI indicator for the straight on route.
Brian,

Just remind me if that applies at Whitacre Jct as well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.