• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Junior Driver - DB Cargo UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stjimmy87

"You must not have taken or failed the Train Driver assessment within the last 6 months"

So even if you have passes in last six months you have to do them again?

xtradj

Check the application, it says about commuting distance, maybe add in there that you're willing to relocate?

I will do pal nothing to lose is there. Did try calling earlier to discuss but they’ve gone for the day.

Evolution

I've never really considered the a FOC, but assuming one was to train with DB could you move over to a TOC in future once you're fully qualified?

Do TOC's take on qualified Freight drivers or is it not a well-trodden path?

RollingOn

Also doesn’t state whether you can relocate
It says in the selection criteria "You live within a one hour commuting distance from your desired Hub location.".

It then goes on to say "Please note that if you do not meet ALL of the above criteria your application will not be shortlisted."

Still might be worth a try all the same.

Atishyou

I've never really considered the a FOC, but assuming one was to train with DB could you move over to a TOC in future once you're fully qualified?

Do TOC's take on qualified Freight drivers or is it not a well-trodden path?

If you're looking at applying to then move to a TOC, I wouldn't bother. Why should any company take you on, bear the cost of training you, for you to up sticks when trained? You'd more than likely be tied into a learning contract for 5 years, although some dispute the value of these.

If you go for the job to do the job and they then ask people to leave later down the line, then fair enough.

I suggest you maybe look at going for a TOC trainee driver role.

If you're looking at applying to then move to a TOC, I wouldn't bother. Why should any company take you on, bear the cost of training you, for you to up sticks when trained? You'd more than likely be tied into a learning contract for 5 years, although some dispute the value of these.

If you go for the job to do the job and they then ask people to leave later down the line, then fair enough.

I agree with this. Not fair on any company to leave soon after being trained.

Dante

Can anyone advise - when they're asking for preferred location are they referring to East Mids/West Mids or more specific? Other than the list on here, I can find no solid list of their depots. Bescot and Leicester are doable but certainly not all of the West and East Mids would fall within my 60 min range..

Atishyou

Can anyone advise - when they're asking for preferred location are they referring to East Mids/West Mids or more specific? Other than the list on here, I can find no solid list of their depots. Bescot and Leicester are doable but certainly not all of the West and East Mids would fall within my 60 min range..
You're applying for one or the other.

If East mids hub, it's all the locations there for where a junior driver can go (Toton, Notts Station, Mountsorrel, Leicester Station and Cliff Hill stud Farm are the booking on points, but I doubt a JD will go to all those) and if West mids hub, it's all of the booking on points or yards for West mids (Bescot, Rugby stn and Saltley).

Dave Tasty

For the East Midlands, I think they operate out of toton, somebody with more knowledge may well be better placed to quantify this.

Dante

You're applying for one or the other.

If East mids hub, it's all the locations there for where a junior driver can go (Toton, Notts Station, Mountsorrel, Leicester Station and Cliff Hill stud Farm are the booking on points, but I doubt a JD will go to all those) and if West mids hub, it's all of the booking on points or yards for West mids (Bescot, Rugby stn and Saltley).

Thanks for that. Looks like West Mids is my best option then, Totons a bit of a stretch.

Roadster 7

Does anyone know if Sundays are included as part of the shift?
Also would there be much potential to earn more than the stated salary?
Just trying to weigh up if I can afford a pay drop! I really don't want to waste there time or take up another more suitable candidates space
Thanks

Atishyou

Sundays are part of the working week. They're paid at a higher rate for mainline drivers (not sure what it would be for junior driver).

As with mainline, I presume there would likely be overtime.

It just depends how much you want to be a driver I suppose?

Evolution

I never said I would leave as soon as qualified BUT maybe down the line I would like to maybe I wouldn't. It's interesting to know the options.

How is DB to work for? looking on here it seems to be a mixed bag.

Where are the depots in Yorkshire?

Atishyou

It depends who you ask.

I know people who are happy and others who are unhappy. I suppose it depends on what other jobs you have done and how stressful they have been.

If you pull your weight and follow the rules and get on with it, you're left alone.

Do you mean the booking on points for South Yorkshire or West Yorkshire?

Evolution

It depends who you ask.

I know people who are happy and others who are unhappy. I suppose it depends on what other jobs you have done and how stressful they have been.

If you pull your weight and follow the rules and get on with it, you're left alone.

Do you mean the booking on points for South Yorkshire or West Yorkshire?
I work as an accountant so totally different to driving but it can be stressful, especially around year end! I've worked as a sales rep too which was stressful and involved lots of traveling.

Well, I live on the boarder so both would be reachable.

Atishyou

I work as an accountant so totally different to driving but it can be stressful, especially around year end! I've worked as a sales rep too which was stressful and involved lots of traveling.

Well, I live on the boarder so both would be reachable.

There's no junior driver jobs in West Yorkshire at present. Booking on points for South Yorkshire hub are Doncaster Station, Attercliffe, Tinsley, Masbrough and Doncaster Carr Hill.

Junior drivers would be working at Tinsley, Masbrough, Doncaster Woodyard and possibly Doncaster Carr Hill.

Junior driver money is probably a lot less than you are on now and involves shifts and weekends...

Evolution

There's no junior driver jobs in West Yorkshire at present. Booking on points for South Yorkshire hub are Doncaster Station, Attercliffe, Tinsley, Masbrough and Doncaster Carr Hill.

Junior drivers would be working at Tinsley, Masbrough, Doncaster Woodyard and possibly Doncaster Carr Hill.

Junior driver money is probably a lot less than you are on now and involves shifts and weekends...

Thank you, this is useful to know.

Yes I believe the salary is about 28k for the first year so it will be quite a bit less initially. Does it then rise to 38k upon completion of training?

Atishyou

Thank you, this is useful to know.

Yes I believe the salary is about 28k for the first year so it will be quite a bit less initially. Does it then rise to 38k upon completion of training?

No. I think you're getting confused between trainee and junior.

Junior is like a yard driver, restricted to yards and yard duties, basically a shunt driver, driver operator, whatever you want to call it.

It's a stepping stone to mainline driver, but that's the full wage for it (not Inc any overtime).

Status
Not open for further replies.