• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Junior Driver - DB Cargo UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sspjpeter

Dartford incorporates Angerstein Wharf, Hoo Jnc and Hither Green. Where you'll actually be as a Junior I don't know.
There are vacancies in lots of places, but how many there are in Dartford, I don't know unfortunately.

Thanks for the insight.. Let me work through these assessments first then worry about the posting later..

NewTrains68

Hi, well done to those all have been successful. Hoping someone could explain the TEA-OCC test. Just some pointers really. Many thanks

GJL9916

Do any of you guys know if DB take on for driving positions around the Cheshire area? I know they have a hub in Crewe but think that's more maintenance and also one in Warrington, can't find any info on if they take on drivers though?

jamess115

Hi folks

Anyone got an email or pref. a contact number for DB Cargo recruitment/HR please ?

Thanks in advance

Stigy

Established Member
Can anybody please advise on the following?

1. With the JD job is there typically overtime available? I know a lot of it is probably depot specific, but it would help to get an idea.
  2. Do JDs get any form of enhancements for any shifts such as Sundays/Bank Holidays etc?
  3. Does freight work typically shut down for Christmas Day and Boxing Day?
In relation to number 3, I work for a TOC and we don't do these two dates, however it's taken out of our annual leave entitlement. I wonder if it's the same for freight or if there is actually freight movement over these days?

Thanks in advance all!

Atishyou

Can anybody please advise on the following?

1. With the JD job is there typically overtime available? I know a lot of it is probably depot specific, but it would help to get an idea.
  2. Do JDs get any form of enhancements for any shifts such as Sundays/Bank Holidays etc?
  3. Does freight work typically shut down for Christmas Day and Boxing Day?
In relation to number 3, I work for a TOC and we don't do these two dates, however it's taken out of our annual leave entitlement. I wonder if it's the same for freight or if there is actually freight movement over these days?

Thanks in advance all!

1. Yes, there's overtime.
2. Sunday is an extra payment per hour worked during Sunday. Nothing for bank holidays.
3. Freight doesn't shut down! Christmas is done on a volunteer basis first, before using those rostered to work.

Heaps92

1. Yes, there's overtime.
2. Sunday is an extra payment per hour worked during Sunday. Nothing for bank holidays.
3. Freight doesn't shut down! Christmas is done on a volunteer basis first, before using those rostered to work.
Any Xmas bonus? Haha HR called me yesterday I asked them if the salary in my contract was just basic or if that includes shift allowance but she said no that's just the bottom end

keep truckin

Hi. I am one of the JD trainees training at Didcot. We are there until 19th Feb. There are 5 of us training, 3 for the West Mids hub including myself. One chaps for Yorkshire and the other lives near Didcot (not sure which depot he's for). It's a good set up down there and the instructors are helpful. It's seems a good company to work for. My advice for anyone trying to get in, put the preparation in for every stage, I certainly did. And read this thread as well as other parts of the jobs section relating to the tests, interviews etc. Thanks to Exmover and Atishyou as learnt a lot from you about the role. All the best to all.

Atishyou

Any Xmas bonus? Haha HR called me yesterday I asked them if the salary in my contract was just basic or if that includes shift allowance but she said no that's just the bottom end

No bonus at any time. Not sure why you were told that, the salary is £28540. There's Sunday rate and depending which hub people are in there's fuel allowance and overtime but there's no shift allowance on that.

GJL9916

No bonus at any time. Not sure why you were told that, the salary is £28540. There's Sunday rate and depending which hub people are in there's fuel allowance and overtime but there's no shift allowance on that.

Hi Atishyou, I see your location is North West, do you know if DB take on drivers around our way? I applied for a shunter job not so long ago for which I am waiting to hear back from still. My ultimate goal would be to be mainline driver for DB with a junior driver position before that.

Atishyou

Hi Atishyou, I see your location is North West, do you know if DB take on drivers around our way? I applied for a shunter job not so long ago for which I am waiting to hear back from still. My ultimate goal would be to be mainline driver for DB with a junior driver position before that.

Yes, they take drivers on all over. Just keep your eyes on the db cargo website and on here, some will appear in the future!

Atishyou

Hi. I am one of the JD trainees training at Didcot. We are there until 19th Feb. There are 5 of us training, 3 for the West Mids hub including myself. One chaps for Yorkshire and the other lives near Didcot (not sure which depot he's for). It's a good set up down there and the instructors are helpful. It's seems a good company to work for. My advice for anyone trying to get in, put the preparation in for every stage, I certainly did. And read this thread as well as other parts of the jobs section relating to the tests, interviews etc. Thanks to Exmover and Atishyou as learnt a lot from you about the role. All the best to all.

No problem mate, good luck with your new job and welcome to DB!

RedZed

I didn't want to post here as I wanted to see how this panned out first, but now I've received that "Thanks but No thanks email today, this was my experience".

I interviewed for this role last September at Toton. It started off well when Gary introduced himself and calling me Paul (which isn't my name). After correcting him and ensuring he was interviewing the right person, he did the small talk bit prior to the interview starting and asked how my journey was, where had I travelled from? etc.

When I mentioned I came up from Wellingborough he said that was a long distance and I wasn’t really within the safe commutable distance. I agreed but if I was successful I would be expecting to travel to Leicester as the nearest DB Cargo place to me and was 30 mins train journey or 50 mins by car.

Hmmm,,, no jobs at Leicester and certainly not for the junior train driver role. So I mentioned the fact that if that was the case then I wasn’t sure why I had been invited for interview as that was the information that I had filled in on the application form that was requested. So Gary disappears to speak to HR and then comes back and asks how far is Oxfordshire from me… Banbury is do-able but I suspect he is talking about traveling to Didcot – which is about the same distance…so that’s not really acceptable either. So then Gary goes on to say that he doesn’t know what to say – the job is based at Toton and clearly a 150 mile commute everyday isn’t acceptable… so what would I like to do…?

My first impression was to say if there’s no job at Leicester then there’s no point in me being interviewed, thanks for wasting my time and have a nice day etc… but I said well seeing as I’m here now it seems a pity to waste the opportunity… So went through the interview process which was a lot more relaxed than I was expecting and was more an informal chat than an interview as Gary quickly filled the interview sheet as I was talking (in red pen which I found disconcerting) and mentioned that I had answered several questions in one go as he completed it (so I’m not sure what those questions were as I was never formally asked them). Although I think Gary liked the look of me as he said…”having met and spoken with you now it’s a shame I can’t magic up a post at Leicester but even if I could, I don’t think the unions would have it… so would there be any problem relocating, have you got family etc”.

I said that relocation could be a possibility but obviously not an overnight thing to up sticks and move. I could potentially move in with my sister in law who lives near Market Harborough to reduce the commuting distance initially as a way going forward or could potentially rent a room near Toton etc… So, with that in mind the interview concluded with Gary saying that “relocation was something to consider as the ball may end up in my court”… which I took to be a really positive indicator along with his interest in my previous service in the RAF and the Police. Clearly I was wrong and I misinterpreted the whole 'interview' and was as I initially thought, just a waste of time.

Last edited:

BallastMonkey

Sorry to hear about your experience, and I do hope that you find something nearer and better for you and your family.

You mentioned that you interviewed for the role last September but only just received the no thanks email?

RedZed

Sorry to hear about your experience, and I do hope that you find something nearer and better for you and your family.

LOL - You should read my previous threads mate !

You mentioned that you interviewed for the role last September but only just received the no thanks email?
Yes, today after I enquired about the status of my application last week.
I initially enquired in October as I was out of the country for a fortnight and might not receive any notifications that may require some action on my part. I got a response straight away saying that they were continuing interviews through October and I would be contacted in the coming weeks. So I sent a follow up email last week and got the news this afternoon.

RedZed

I've previously subscribed to various threads over the last few years based on my previous train driver applications.
2012 London Midland - Didn't pass papersift
2014 DB Shenker - Passed OPC assesment only to have DB pull the plug on recruitment based on the downturn in coal.
2015 GTR - I was in GTR's talent pool for two years, getting fobbed off with "we'll give you a call when have a course to offer you" only to be told that they were no longer recruiting for Bedford (my nearest depot that they specifically advertised for) and I live too far away to be considered for anything else.
2017 Chiltern Railways - Went straight to interview based on my OPC scores - only to be told I live too far away - so why interview me?
2018 DB Cargo - Invited to interview for a job that I thought was a Leicester - only to be told it's at Toton ... and thanks but no thanks after all.

BallastMonkey

Just read through the "GTR fiasco" and am shocked :o i remember something similar happening also on the East Coast if i can remember correctly?

Really, all I have is words of motivation that it will one day pay off. Don't give up!

Heaps92

I've previously subscribed to various threads over the last few years based on my previous train driver applications.
2014 DB Shenker - Passed OPC assesment only to have DB pull the plug on recruitment based on the downturn in coal.
2015 GTR - I was in GTR's talent pool for two years, getting fobbed off with "we'll give you a call when have a course to offer you" only to be told that they were no longer recruiting for Bedford (my nearest depot that they specifically advertised for) and I live too far away to be considered for anything else.
2017 Chiltern Railways - Went straight to interview based on my OPC scores - only to be told I live too far away - so why interview me?
2018 DB Cargo - Invited to interview for a job that I thought was a Leicester - only to be told it's at Toton ... and thanks but no thanks after all.
Then let's just say maybe this isn't the job for you mate

Heaps92

I'm inclined to agree.
Is a pain in the arse because takes time does the application process and you've obviously been lucky enough to get as far as you have done but it is what it is isn't it. Big shame

GJL9916

With your background in the Police & RAF and the length of time you've been trying i'm starting to give up hope myself, I too have been trying for years and never made the initial sift, I've had a few interviews lately with different FOCs to get my foot in the door and on the right career path, was shortlisted into the last stages but never got the jobs, best chance I seem to have messed up with Freightliner and passed all stage 1 testing to enhanced except for the group bourdon which was the easiest out the lot but must of rushed that trying to impress and messed up! I did pass it though but only to standard and not enhanced meaning I didn't pass all stage 1 to enhanced so didn't progress my application, I believe they are taking on 60+ drivers as well so starting to feel that was my last realistic chance :(

Seejwalker

With your background in the Police & RAF and the length of time you've been trying i'm starting to give up hope myself, I too have been trying for years and never made the initial sift, I've had a few interviews lately with different FOCs to get my foot in the door and on the right career path, was shortlisted into the last stages but never got the jobs, best chance I seem to have messed up with Freightliner and passed all stage 1 testing to enhanced except for the group bourdon which was the easiest out the lot but must of rushed that trying to impress and messed up! I did pass it though but only to standard and not enhanced meaning I didn't pass all stage 1 to enhanced so didn't progress my application, I believe they are taking on 60+ drivers as well so starting to feel that was my last realistic chance :(

If you read this back, you might see where you could of been going wrong all this time. You said you passed stage one to the enhanced standard, then explained that actually you didn't, then went on to explain you passed it at the standard level.

If you have passed all the tests to any standard then you haven't failed and still have a chance. Don't give up.

Stigy

Established Member
If you read this back, you might see where you could of been going wrong all this time. You said you passed stage one to the enhanced standard, then explained that actually you didn't, then went on to explain you passed it at the standard level.

If you have passed all the tests to any standard then you haven't failed and still have a chance. Don't give up.
Absolutely. Not all FOCs or TOCs require enhanced pass marks and the fact that the national standard was met means no lives lost either.

Status
Not open for further replies.