• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Junior Driver - DB Cargo UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJL9916

If you read this back, you might see where you could of been going wrong all this time. You said you passed stage one to the enhanced standard, then explained that actually you didn't, then went on to explain you passed it at the standard level.

If you have passed all the tests to any standard then you haven't failed and still have a chance. Don't give up.

No will definitely keep going! Just not too confident about getting on straight as a driver despite my best and continued efforts. I am looking and open to pretty much any position to get my foot in the door but with me having zero railway experience it seems to be going against me which is fair enough I guess, I recently got shortlisted to the last three of a shunter position with DB and I know there were two other people at the assessment day that had 10 and 20 years railway experience so I imagine it's them that pipped me to the post!

Only way I can think of getting the experience is to work contracting at weekends as I know loads of people who could get me on, but at the moment me and my partner have a young baby so couldn't afford to give my weekday job up and don't think to would go down to well working 7 days a week as need to help out at home! maybe something to think of as little gets older though!

Regards the driver testing I only got a pass for the Group bourdon and enhanced for the other tests on stage 1 testing so overall classed as a pass, was good experience though and hopefully use it with another FOC or TOC just kicking myself over the group bourdon letting me down! I will get there though hopefully the HS2 will bring some work!

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GJL9916

Absolutely. Not all FOCs or TOCs require enhanced pass marks and the fact that the national standard was met means no lives lost either.

Yeh that's true Stigy, will keep plodding away, law of averages say if I keep applying I gotta get one at some point and i'm getting enough practise in with all these applications, assessments & interviews! where are you up to with things now? you've got a few active applications in haven't you?

Seejwalker

No will definitely keep going! Just not too confident about getting on straight as a driver despite my best and continued efforts. I am looking and open to pretty much any position to get my foot in the door but with me having zero railway experience it seems to be going against me which is fair enough I guess, I recently got shortlisted to the last three of a shunter position with DB and I know there were two other people at the assessment day that had 10 and 20 years railway experience so I imagine it's them that pipped me to the post!

Only way I can think of getting the experience is to work contracting at weekends as I know loads of people who could get me on, but at the moment me and my partner have a young baby so couldn't afford to give my weekday job up and don't think to would go down to well working 7 days a week as need to help out at home! maybe something to think of as little gets older though!

Regards the driver testing I only got a pass for the Group bourdon and enhanced for the other tests on stage 1 testing so overall classed as a pass, was good experience though and hopefully use it with another FOC or TOC just kicking myself over the group bourdon letting me down! I will get there though hopefully the HS2 will bring some work!

Cheers
I too come from a forces background, I done eight years in the infantry (0% of what I done is relatable to the railway) I have been excepted for two different companies for a driving role.
Seeing as you have passed the tests my advice would be to take a good look at your CV and strengthen it as it's clearly not good enough at present, look at your interview technique too.
You may not have relevant experience but trust me when I say you have relevant attributes, you just have find a way of conveying this. You might not have driven a train before but I guarantee you can find a role you have done where you have used the skills needed to be a train driver.

GJL9916

I too come from a forces background, I done eight years in the infantry (0% of what I done is relatable to the railway) I have been excepted for two different companies for a driving role.
Seeing as you have passed the tests my advice would be to take a good look at your CV and strengthen it as it's clearly not good enough at present, look at your interview technique too.
You may not have relevant experience but trust me when I say you have relevant attributes, you just have find a way of conveying this. You might not have driven a train before but I guarantee you can find a role you have done where you have used the skills needed to be a train driver.

Yes that's definitely true, my CV is pretty good there is a section with some personal information that I could freshen up! and I know my interview skills could be better as I find them quite nerve wracking to be honest which I can imagine isn't a good look! although I have a had three lately and they've been getting progressively better so that's a good sign, was thinking of looking at a career centre of some description for some pointers or even interview practise!

Thanks for the pointers and that's a great position for you to be in, congrats! are the both FOCs or TOCs ?

Seejwalker

Yes that's definitely true, my CV is pretty good there is a section with some personal information that I could freshen up! and I know my interview skills could be better as I find them quite nerve wracking to be honest which I can imagine isn't a good look! although I have a had three lately and they've been getting progressively better so that's a good sign, was thinking of looking at a career centre of some description for some pointers or even interview practise!

Thanks for the pointers and that's a great position for you to be in, congrats! are the both FOCs or TOCs ?

Both FOCs I have another one coming up for a signaller role too. Keep at it mate, you will get there.

Stigy

Established Member
Yeh that's true Stigy, will keep plodding away, law of averages say if I keep applying I gotta get one at some point and i'm getting enough practise in with all these applications, assessments & interviews! where are you up to with things now? you've got a few active applications in haven't you?
You’ll get there, I know what it’s like with the little ones too as I have a young family. I’d have to take about a £15k pay cut for some trainee roles. Sometimes you wonder why you bother haha. But I’ve certainky caught the ‘bug’ in terms of wanting this. I have applications open with my TOC (SWR), GWR, Colas and DB. I have an interview for Junior Driver with DB coming up so that’s my closest one at the moment. It feels like I’ve been in and out of assesment centres for God knows how long :lol:

I’d still have to take a £7k pay cut for DB, but I’m prepared for that as it’s a step in the right direction, plus money isn’t everything!

Good luck to you, you’ll get there! The assesments are the hardest thing after the initial sift. You’ve got the pass marks and you’re instantly more desirable as a candidate, even if you do have to retake some!

RedZed

I have an interview for Junior Driver with DB coming up so that’s my closest one at the moment.

That's interesting considering the email I received from DB states :"We have now completed all the interviews for the Junior Driver position".
I've no reason to disbelieve you Stigy so maybe it's just as well I didn't progress with DB. Who would want to work for a company that deliberately lies to its potential employees?

BallastMonkey

That's interesting considering the email I received from DB states :"We have now completed all the interviews for the Junior Driver position".
I've no reason to disbelieve you Stigy so maybe it's just as well I didn't progress with DB. Who would want to work for a company that deliberately lies to its potential employees?

When did you receive this email?

RedZed

Erm... the one I mentioned earlier about not being progressed which I received on Wednesday.
Just for clarity here it is (complete with poor spelling and grammar).
Love the bit at the end encouraging me to look out for other roles...

Good Afternoon *****

Thank you for your email

We have now completed all the interviews for the Junior Driver position

Unfortunately we will not be processing you application any further

Whilst you was a strong candidates and interviewed well.

On the day there were stronger candidates that Gary and I felt where more suited to the Junior Driver role and scored higher in there criteria based questioning

Thank you for showing an interest in working for DB Cargo

We encourage you to keep looking for other opportunities at DB Cargo that maybe of interest to you via our careers job site

Thank you again

Kind Regards

Christy Duffty

Stigy

Established Member
maybe they were talking specifically about the depot for which you applied? My interview is on the 12th.

Seejwalker

That could include Interviews already scheduled as I know stigy has been notified of this for a little while. But I would imagine it's region, possibly depot specific.

RedZed

It's possible, but in English comprehension there is a big difference between "We have now completed all the interviews for the Junior Driver position" and "We have now completed all of the interviews for the Junior Driver position(s) at Toton".
I know which email I would have sent.

Dante

Anyone had any news on west Midlands I'm starting to give up

Same here, nothing. I've waited this long and longer for job start dates before but never to find out if in an interview was successful or not..

Stigy

Established Member
It's possible, but in English comprehension there is a big difference between "We have now completed all the interviews for the Junior Driver position" and "We have now completed all of the interviews for the Junior Driver position(s) at Toton".
Generic email? Not a great way of doing it admittedly, but when you have several hundred to send, I’d imagine leaving out specific depot names would save time. Or they just told a little white lie? The fact is, they probably aren’t bothered either way. There’s plenty of candidates, and worrying about the content of their rejection emails probably doesn’t list that high on the agenda.

From the copy/paste you provided of the email, it seems a lot more personal and descriptive than other TOCs/FOCs supply. Freightliner tried to adopt this approach in their email rejection, but fell at the last hurdle

“Should you have any queries regarding the above, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Freightliner Ltd”

As far as I was aware, Freightliner isn’t a person? Who am I to contact? Then when you reply to the email as indicated, you get a generic out of office back saying recruitment for drivers is now closed and they cannot respond to mail from this mailbox.

Heaps92

I think you need to stop been so bitter and just accept the rejection. Instead of droning on about it

Seejwalker

I think you need to stop been so bitter and just accept the rejection. Instead of droning on about it
I was going to lead with this but thought I would try and ease the situation for the guy, but with his latest reply I'm glad someone has said it.

Heaps92

I was going to lead with this but thought I would try and ease the situation for the guy, but with his latest reply I'm glad someone has said it.
Got to just be honest. Tough love he can't go round claiming someone else is a liar just because they've progressed further than him or her

keep truckin

And I think you must have attended the same school as the sender of my email judging by the syntax of your response.
What a pity that this is what passes as the acceptable standard today and it's probably for the best I didn't get the job. I can see why no educational qualifications are required for the role.
And I think you must have attended the same school as the sender of my email judging by the syntax of your response.
What a pity that this is what passes as the acceptable standard today and it's probably for the best I didn't get the job. I can see why no educational qualifications are required for the role.
Some of the best drivers can't spell for toffee but know the engines inside out. Different people have different strengths. But you have clearly demonstrated your poor judgement by posting a named email and ridiculing it, as well as slating other forum users. Another strength train companies look for is teamwork, your abrasive nature is definitely a negative in this respect.

Stigy

Established Member
It’s not about education, it’s about ability and teamwork. I think rather than slate the interview process and slight grammatical and/process misdemeanours, @RedZed should take on board the advice of this very informative and helpful forum and it’s members if they wish to become a driver.

As I said before, TOCs and FOCs can afford to be choosy with who they recruit for any job, even to the point of coming across as arrogant. They don’t care if one application in 3,000 is a bit annoyed, they’ll shrug them off as peeved because they weren’t offered a job or didn’t make the assesment grade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heaps92

I've never seen someone so upset and bitter over failing. Everyone on this forum successful or unseccussful has had dignity. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere as far as I have without this forum and the great info and advice from the people who choose to use it! Thanks everyone! Don't let this little boy make you lose faith

Tony*1

Hey does anybody know or have any idea on how long you can/could wait in the talent pool for a JD position east mids,,
I have recieved my offer email and passed a medical so was just curious as to roughly how long the wait may be,
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks in advance.

Harbon 1

Hey does anybody know or have any idea on how long you can/could wait in the talent pool for a JD position east mids,,
I have recieved my offer email and passed a medical so was just curious as to roughly how long the wait may be,
Thanks in advance.
I phoned them up last Wednesday because I'd been waiting over a week for the confirmation of my medical pass, and when I asked when I would hear about a start date, I was told they are in the process of sorting them out now.

Heaps92 said they waited a week after the confirmation of the medical for a start date, and the medical results had been slow in getting to DB in my case (time of year I suppose). I'd like to think it would be sooner rather than later though!

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question :lol:

When did you have your medical?

Seejwalker

Thanks in advance.
It must be different at different depots as I received a start date with my offer letter.

Tony*1

I phoned them up last Wednesday because I'd been waiting over a week for the confirmation of my medical pass, and when I asked when I would hear about a start date, I was told they are in the process of sorting them out now.

Heaps92 said they waited a week after the confirmation of the medical for a start date, and the medical results had been slow in getting to DB in my case (time of year I suppose). I'd like to think it would be sooner rather than later though!

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question :lol:

When did you have your medical?

I had me medical mid November,
I was told on the day everything was fine with it and it was just the drugs results that would take a week or so to get back,
I know I have no worries with that side of it so all ok with the medical,
I did have a conversation with the recruitment team that week and they said I am in the talent pool until the sort the start dates for the training to start
Not heard anything since then,

Status
Not open for further replies.