• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Just errm one more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Crossovers and points...
awful.jpg

Sorry for terrible artwork, 30 second sketch in paint (yes theres a reaon I'm not doing a Art GCSE!) errrm, My route is coded in the dark red/brown, I have coded up to where the yellow is, the blueish is dummy lines. How ever, my line crosses the nb dummy line and onto the sb dummy line which becomes the main line to the terminus. Now how would I code this, would I just work out the yellow bit total radii or work out the x-over radii curve and points curve and then stick a switch object over in the end piece?

If so, is that best as a .railobject or .freeobject?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
I have always worked out the curve radius of the running line and had separate rails in the normal way for all the other tracks (with the distance of each of the other lines separately calculated for each 25m intervals).

This does work and is easy to do, but the results look absolutely awful where lines cross as they are superimposed and flicker. I guess this might look OK on a tram route where rails only are needed.

It is much better to use properly constructed switches and crossings; there are utilities around to help with the construction of these and I seem to recall some previous threads mentioning them (if not on RUK then on TTF).

I must learn how to constuct pointwork myself - any useful hints and tips would be appreciated - they are a real embarrassment on my routes.

The Snap

Established Member
Ah, I had this problem. You need to use curves, but, that means the too rails going off forward would have to follow the curves, so in order to get them to go straight you would need a .rail, command for each of the straight rails like .rail x;50;;,, the 50 being the distance from rail 0. Then, end the rail straight rails, as they would just keep following the curve. I hope you understand. If not, let me know, and I could code it for you. :D

Nick

I think I'll code the x-over as a curve and replace the railtype with a x-over railobject. The curve I guess I will code in a similar way..

Tom B

Established Member
Do a bit of searching on T-S.com and perhaps TTF - there have been several threads on the diverging line formula.

Nick

Seems the solution is to use nullrail and place the crossover as a freeobject.

Status
Not open for further replies.