• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Just joined

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tackleberry

Not sure whether this should be posted here or not but...:oops:
Anyway, I joined this forum the other day.
I presently drive artic trucks (which to be honest I'm getting a tad fed up of) and have also driven buses and coaches...
I used to work for FGW and SWT about 15 odd years ago and now having great difficulty in getting any further than telephone interview, and I've been trying for the last 2 years...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
First, a very huge and warm welcolme to the forum.

Regarding your last sentence, perhaps the regulars who frequent the "Railway Jobs and Careers" section of the forum may be able to help you out from here on in, as that is not really my knowledge or expertise.

Mods: Could this be moved into the aforementioned section?

Last edited:
I presently drive artic trucks (which to be honest I'm getting a tad fed up of) and have also driven buses and coaches...
I used to work for FGW and SWT about 15 odd years ago and now having great difficulty in getting any further than telephone interview, and I've been trying for the last 2 years...

Hi and welcome to the forum, Can I ask are you a fan of the Film " Police Academy"? Your username is exactly the same as Tackleberry from that film.
Sorry for asking, Just interested.

Antman

Established Member

Welcome, like you I have also driven buses and artic trucks, is there any particular reason why you're getting fed up with the latter if you don't mind me asking?

Tackleberry

Welcome, like you I have also driven buses and artic trucks, is there any particular reason why you're getting fed up with the latter if you don't mind me asking?

It's not the company, the work or the hours, it's the start times I'm getting - supposed to be + or - an hour of 09:00 and they seem to be creeping ever closer to the wrong side of 11:00...
Plus the possibility of redundancy coming up, we're being told next to nothing and apparently the new firm taking the contract over is refusing to talk to the present company and union...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi and welcome to the forum, Can I ask are you a fan of the Film " Police Academy"? Your username is exactly the same as Tackleberry from that film.
Sorry for asking, Just interested.

Kind of, that and my first initial of my first name and my complete surname lend itself to being that, got called it when I was bus driving and the name stuck :lol::lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
First, a very huge and warm welcolme to the forum.

Regarding your last sentence, perhaps the regulars who frequent the "Railway Jobs and Careers" section of the forum may be able to help you out from here on in, as that is not really my knowledge or expertise.

Mods: Could this be moved into the aforementioned section?

I've already applied for 2 vacancies with GWR and just seen a vacancy I like the sound of at Network Rail...

sw1ller

Established Member
I'm a truck driver now, just been offered my first railway job, I've been trying for 6-7 years pal. Truck driving has gone very downhill the last few years. Conditions are terrible, pay is abysmal and you are treated like absolute dirt by anyone and everyone. You're right to want to leave. Just keep plugging away, when you get rejections, try to get feedback and improve from there. For me it was getting past the application stage. My grammar was awful so I improved. Then I learnt all the buzz words you need for the application. Once I got to the interview stage I'm 1 for 2! And the tests... I'm 1 for 1. So I know I can do the job, I just needed that chance. It's taken me a loooong time but I've never given up. Don't take any rejections personally and keep at it pal.

Good luck.

Tackleberry

I'm a truck driver now, just been offered my first railway job, I've been trying for 6-7 years pal. Truck driving has gone very downhill the last few years. Conditions are terrible, pay is abysmal and you are treated like absolute dirt by anyone and everyone. You're right to want to leave. Just keep plugging away, when you get rejections, try to get feedback and improve from there. For me it was getting past the application stage. My grammar was awful so I improved. Then I learnt all the buzz words you need for the application. Once I got to the interview stage I'm 1 for 2! And the tests... I'm 1 for 1. So I know I can do the job, I just needed that chance. It's taken me a loooong time but I've never given up. Don't take any rejections personally and keep at it pal.

Good luck.

I used to work for FGW and SWT, but I stupidly left FGW to go to SWT and have been trying to get back ever since...
Plus we are allegedly TUPEing over to a new company at the end of March, and I say allegedly as its gone VERY quite on that front, so still don't know if we are transferring there or not or if some of us are getting made redundant...
To be fair I'm on a not too bad a rate (£11.03 an hour) nor is it the work I'm doing (collecting car parts from manufacturers and delivering them to the plant), it's mainly the fact that my start time should be 09:00 with a + or - either side but I seem to be getting the after 10:00 start times, one day the other week it was an 11:30 start with an after midnight finish!!!!
I also used to go to different places everyday but now it seems to be the same few places everyday...

Status
Not open for further replies.