• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Just to be clear: which reopenings are the most viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Contains substantial error in stating Harrogate-Thirsk when it should read Harrogate-Northallerton and states no local support when North Yorkshire County Council has put it in their Strategic Transport Prospectus as recently as October 2015.

have they put any money up yet? :?::?: How much support is there from the Network Rail LNE route. That and third party funding will be the key things going forward.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clc

Established Member
I think there may now be developments planned in the area that could make a High St curve based Glasgow Crossrail proposal more difficult to progress.

The most recent planning permission included a clause that the land needed for the curve would be protected. The proposals for which planning was granted have come to nothing so we'll have to wait and see what the council do when the next planning application is submitted.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
See condition 5:

https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk...C1AC2AEE6165F46D/pdf/14_01779_DC--3156908.pdf

HowardGWR

Established Member
Yate to Thornbury.
This has been mentioned on another thread, IIRC, but since the Bristol Metro initiative is to include a service from Yate to the city centre (well, TM anyway), I would have thought, with the majority of the line already reinstated, there would be a very positive BCR for it.

deltic

Established Member
Ripon City Council is funding an £18k study looking once again at re-opening the Northallerton- Ripon-Harrogate line - not clear who is doing it but it is meant to inform Network Rail's Route Strategy consultation

deltic08

On Moderation
Ripon City Council is funding an £18k study looking once again at re-opening the Northallerton- Ripon-Harrogate line - not clear who is doing it but it is meant to inform Network Rail's Route Strategy consultation

Not quite correct. You are quoting what appeared in the local newspaper on Thursday and that was misreported. Ripon City Council will match fund up to £18k towards a study. There is still a shortfall of a few thousand pounds yet but should be in place by May 2017 now match funding is agreed.

Chris125

Established Member

Don't NR normally regard reopenings as outside the scope of the Route Studies?

HowardGWR

Established Member
Finding this bumped thread, I read back a few posts and thought the one about extending a Yate service back to Thornbury very sensible. Then I noticed who the poster was!

deltic08

On Moderation
Don't NR normally regard reopenings as outside the scope of the Route Studies?

Who said anything about Route Studies?
Yate to Thornbury.
This has been mentioned on another thread, IIRC, but since the Bristol Metro initiative is to include a service from Yate to the city centre (well, TM anyway), I would have thought, with the majority of the line already reinstated, there would be a very positive BCR for it.

Via Mangotsfield please.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Considering NR will get considerably less for CP6 onwards there is going to need to be a fair chunk of third party cash going forward for reopenings.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Via Mangotsfield please.

Your wish is my command. Now where did I put my magic lamp?

Yes, reopening the MR route would be sensible for a local service, (re-opening Staple Hill and Fishponds, perhaps a new Lawrence Hill West (call it Easton?) could be well-used and it bypasses the main lines. However, as The_Planner has just remarked, it needs to be a LEP type initiative. That could happen if this new Super Mayor for the Bristol / Bath / north Bristol area comes about with finance available for local schemes....... If.

D6975

Established Member
Your wish is my command. Now where did I put my magic lamp?

Yes, reopening the MR route would be sensible for a local service, (re-opening Staple Hill and Fishponds, perhaps a new Lawrence Hill West (call it Easton?) could be well-used and it bypasses the main lines. However, as The_Planner has just remarked, it needs to be a LEP type initiative. That could happen if this new Super Mayor for the Bristol / Bath / north Bristol area comes about with finance available for local schemes....... If.

Not sure the residents of the houses built on the trackbed at Greenbank would be too keen.

Checkflaps

Finding this bumped thread, I read back a few posts and thought the one about extending a Yate service back to Thornbury very sensible. Then I noticed who the poster was!

Based on the number of houses that keep being planned for Thornbury and the fringes, I would think there should be tariffs on the new houses to help pay for the reinstatement of the rail link and be a big part of the planning consents.
With the fact that the line stops at the A38, its not a massive undertaking to get a station built and connected to the quarry line - upgrading the current freight line would be another issue though.

However, with this being South Gloucestershire, it probably won't happen anyway :roll:

For those interested, heres the current housing plans
15025260_333135457056734_1710894424982414984_o.jpg

Bearing in mind how long it has taken to get the rail link reinstated to Portishead, I'm not holding out hope of this one happening anytime soon - sadly.

Garry

HowardGWR

Established Member
Not sure the residents of the houses built on the trackbed at Greenbank would be too keen.
True but there are only a few. I am not sure they are very happy living next to the railway path. They might well welcome a fully compensated move.

deltic08

On Moderation

Neither are those in the path of HS2 but it appears the big bulldozer is coming. Why should those living on a trackbed in Bristol be any different.

My father lost his business to a road improvement scheme. He wasn't even given a chance to object. No compensation and no opportunity to relocate locally. At least residents can object and be compensated if they fail.

Last edited by a moderator:

PR1Berske

Established Member
It's certainly worth remembering the comment a few posts above about the reduction in available funds for station reopenings at and beyond CP6. The answer to the thread title question might well, in only a few years time the way things are going, be "None at all."

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've resisted this thread so far because I've posted on this subject once or twice before.

However, one of the routes I sometimes mention that ought to be reopened is Chinley - Matlock. This would allow:

Better local access to Buxton, Matlock, Bakewell and the Peak District national park.
A more direct inter-regional service between the North West and East Midlands, allowing Hope Valley capacity to be used for North West - Yorkshire flows.
An alternative route for peak district mineral freight.
An alternative Manchester - London Route.

On previous threads, posters (who shall remain nameless) suggested that Project Rio loadings were scarce and therefore suggested limited demand for NW - East Midlands passenger flows. This does suggest a certain level of surpressed inter-regional demand.

Thisis in addition to the 2008 study which looked at local traffic alone and found that some configurations of reinstatement could be justified on that.

However, I note that in January's "Modern Railways" it states that during Project Rio, the service received "good support from East Midlands Passengers and ticket sales from Leicester to Manchester doubled".

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
However, I note that in January's "Modern Railways" it states that during Project Rio, the service received "good support from East Midlands Passengers and ticket sales from Leicester to Manchester doubled".

Doubling a small number is still a small number...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It doesn't state exact numbers, however I interpret "good support" as having potential.

There's 'good support' for all sorts of things, depending on who is writing.

I remember a Tranmere Rovers programme in 1995 reporting that the away trip to a certain West Midlands club not unadjecent to Sandwell had 'excellent travelling support' : two official coaches and a minibus!

If that was excellent, I wonder what they made of the following match which saw Wolves take about 4000 to Prenton Park.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There's 'good support' for all sorts of things, depending on who is writing.

I remember a Tranmere Rovers programme in 1995 reporting that the away trip to a certain West Midlands club not unadjecent to Sandwell had 'excellent travelling support' : two official coaches and a minibus!

If that was excellent, I wonder what they made of the following match which saw Wolves take about 4000 to Prenton Park.

You'll have to forgive my naivety on association football, however Modern Railways seems to think that an improvement in the Manchester - Derby - Leicester is the single most sought after development by local stakeholders. I credit them with a bit of knowledge of railway affairs.

43021HST

Established Member
Can: open. Worms: everywhere!

Tell me about it! My Leeds Crossrail thread was full of the anti progress brigade.

I swear these people don't like re-openings as they'll have less to complain about, 'this isn't viable, that isn't do-able, but I'm not going to give a valid reason why, or it will be a pedantic analysis into the costs of every lump of ballast'.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You'll have to forgive my naivety on association football, however Modern Railways seems to think that an improvement in the Manchester - Derby - Leicester is the single most sought after development by local stakeholders. I credit them with a bit of knowledge of railway affairs.

That may be the case - although if I were (still) a user of Leicetershire train services, my most important development would be improving existing services in the county, some of which are, frankly, poor.

Nevertheless, if there was sufficient demand for a Leicester - Derby - Manchester service, a franchisee or Open Access operator would surely have proposed it by now.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That may be the case - although if I were (still) a user of Leicetershire train services, my most important development would be improving existing services in the county, some of which are, frankly, poor.

Nevertheless, if there was sufficient demand for a Leicester - Derby - Manchester service, a franchisee or Open Access operator would surely have proposed it by now.

Perhaps they haven't due to capacity. It's tight along the Hope Valley at present.

deltic08

On Moderation
It doesn't state exact numbers, however I interpret "good support" as having potential.

With you on this one. Look what happened on the Settle-Carlisle in both local passenger growth and through freight when the line is promoted.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Lack of capacity doesn't stop the OAs! Or indeed some franchisees.

Well, it does tend to if there isn't a path. I'm sure the Hope Valley would have had a full complement of stopping of stopping services had capacity been there.

Anyway, maybe someone would have launched an open access London to Manchester service, were it not for Virgin Train's sweetheart deal preventing open access competition (hence W&S not stopping at Birmingham etc).
With you on this one. Look what happened on the Settle-Carlisle in both local passenger growth and through freight when the line is promoted.

Indeed. The S&C also gets a fair amount of inter-regional through traffic when it's up and running as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.