• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Köln Hbf: Construction work

Status
Not open for further replies.

dggar

As part of a London Special DB ticket I am travelling between Koblenz and Dusseldorf on 27th Aug. The ticket was booked about 3 months ago.

Train ICE1028 from Koblenz is due to arrive at Koln at Platform 2 at 10.05

Train ICE 614 to Dusseldorf is due to depart from Koln at Platform 5 at 10.10.

This is the connection offered by the DB site booking engine so I assume it is a feasible connection.

I checked the itinerary today and found this:-

Current information on your itinerary

The connecting train may be missed due to delays. Please listen to local announcements.
ICE 1028, ICE 614: Köln Hbf: Construction work. Ankunftsverzögerung bis zu 5 Min. Anschluss wird ggf. nicht erreicht.
(Google translation
Construction work . The arrival is delayed up to 5 minutes . Connection may not actually be achieved
All information is issued without liability)

Does any one what the construction work is and if I miss the connection what are DB
obliged to do to get me on to Dusseldorf.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Visit the info desk on the main concourse (cathedral side of the station), and they'll sort you out.
It's just as likely that your connection will also be running late though.

Quakkerillo

Veteran Member
Worth noting that the delay warning applies to both trains equally, to underline eastwestdivide's comment. DB are very flexible in these circumstances - they need to be!

DaiGog

Sometimes Mirfield, sometimes Hull, often Niebüll
Platforms 2 and 5 are on adjacent islands at Köln Hbf so not far to go between the two, although the platforms are narrow and there are only two sets of narrow stairs/escalators, so congestion frequently occurs. The train using platform 2 will most likely be booked from platform 4 when there is no construction work to contend with, hence the 5-minute connection being advertised but with added warning.

If Düsseldorf is your final destination (or at least has a decent break of journey on your itinerary so no onward connections will be missed) then there are plenty of trains to choose from should you miss your booked one at Köln. Take a printout of the itinerary and the delay warning with you in case you get any grief, but I imagine you won't.

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
With the 8.42, 9.43 and 10.13 from Koblenz to Duesseldorf you did not have to change in Koeln Hbf. That 9.43 takes nearly 30 minutes to reach Duesseldorf; there must be a detour.

Veteran Member
But the OP has already opted for the train that involves a change.

As you say, there's quite some variation in journey times.

dggar

But the OP has already opted for the train that involves a change.

As you say, there's quite some variation in journey times.

I thought there wasn't a choice with a London Special ticket(bit like Advance fares in UK)
Train ICE 1028 is due to leave Koblenz at 09.13.
arriving at 10.05
Train ICE 614 is due to leave Koln at 10.10
arriving at 10.31

Veteran Member
Once you have booked your ticket you have to stick with any IC or better that you have booked so the alternative departures mentioned here are no use to you.

But for future reference you can adjust the transfer time either globally or for one specific interchange, or alter the stopover time (up to 48hr - you have presumably put Duesseldorf as a stopover?). Or untick the box Quicker connections preferred.

So there are plenty of options to tweak the times - and often the price.

dggar

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

The train ICE 1028 was actually 10 minutes late at Koblenz so the connection at Koln was missed.
The ticket inspector on 1028 said all I needed to do was get the next available train from Koln to Dusseldorf.

The construction work at Koln appeared to be relaying the track through platform 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.