• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

K&ESR Great War Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cymroglan

I was wondering whether anyone knows anything about this event coming up next weekend, 30th June & 1st July?

All the website says is "The Queens own Royal West Kent Regiment Living History Group presents "Goodbye Dolly" a Great War Extravaganza."

It could be a really interesting alternative to the WW2 stuff that every railway seems to offer these days.

I'd like a bit more info though ...... and in particular, I'd appreciate a heads up on likely motive power.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Maybe they're doing a First World War day so that those dickheads who've been dressing up as Hitler and Goering and dragging the reputations of the ELR and KWVR through the muck won't turn up. Turning up dressed as the Kaiser or Ludendorff doesn't seem quite so offensive somehow!

paul1609

Established Member
Maybe they're doing a First World War day so that those dickheads who've been dressing up as Hitler and Goering and dragging the reputations of the ELR and KWVR through the muck won't turn up. Turning up dressed as the Kaiser or Ludendorff doesn't seem quite so offensive somehow!

Our War events have for some years tried to represent life in Kent as the front line County and the appearance of Germans (as you would expect historically) has been quite limited. When they do appear they have generally been luftwaffe pilots or sailors and they have very quickly arrested by the home guard and taken in for questioning. This weekends event is by a historical re-enactment society and replaces the evacuation event. As far as railway operations go its going to be a pretty standard 2 steam train operation.

http://www.kesr.org.uk/kesr-events-list/icalrepeat.detail/2012/06/30/22/-/ww1-event.html

Cymroglan

Thanks for the really helpful post. I have now found a lot more detail hidden on the KESR website.
I shan't be heading all that way unless I know the planned motive power though.

Status
Not open for further replies.