• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Karlsruhe - St Pancras ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I'm in Germany next month, and have road transport to get back to the UK, but just wanting to know what the possibility is of getting back by rail instead. Will be in Karlsruhe on the 6th May, so expecting it to not be cheap to get back to London. Anyone have a vague idea of how much this would cost?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris999999

08:00 Karlsruhe
16:30 St Pancras

99 Euros

Cheapest fare that day on DB. Change at Mannheim, Koln and Brussels

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It's much quicker via Paris. A couple of trips a day inus out 6 hours, via Paris Est and a 38 minute connection to Paris Nord (a 10 min amble up the road). Assuming Sunday travel:

Dep Karlsruhe at 0932 arr STP 1436; also 1332 /1836.

If the connection feels a bit tight you can book to the next Eurostar, and it will still be c 7 hours.

Fare will be a bit more, but not much. May be cheaper to book separate for the two legs.

button_boxer

Established Member
At that price I presume it's a London-Spezial, the equivalent of an Advance in the UK, quota controlled and the price will go up if you don't book it now.

lemonic

It's much quicker via Paris. A couple of trips a day inus out 6 hours, via Paris Est and a 38 minute connection to Paris Nord (a 10 min amble up the road). Assuming Sunday travel:

Fare will be a bit more, but not much. May be cheaper to book separate for the two legs.

I know Gare du Nord isn't far from Gare de l'Est but I would think a 38 minute connection is a bit too tight, considering the 30 minute check-in requirement (I know that in reality you can check in later but it doesn't leave much contingency time...)

Chris999999

DB sell fares to/from St Pancras to most stations in Germany which include Eurostar from 49 Euros. You are too late for the 49 to 89 Euro fares but 99 Euro tickets are still available on that train, but later in the day fares are much higher - I guess Germans don't get up early on Sundays.

When doing your search on the DB site you usually need to put Brussels South as a stopover station to force the routes through Brussels to appear.

I always buy from DB when I am going to/through Germany.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

If the connection feels a bit tight you can book to the next Eurostar, and it will still be c 7 hours.

Eurostar is showing £87.50 for these journeys from Paris to St P, which on their own are more than 99 Euros, and TGV want 95 Euros Karlsruhe to Paris. So this route will cost about double.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
The cheapest ticket via Paris (DB + Eurostar) seems to be 185€ (around £155).
DB - 89€ Karlsruhe to Paris
Eurostar (French site) - 96€ Paris to London

I'd go for the 99€ (around £85) ticket via Mannheim - Köln Hbf - Bruxelles-Midi/Brussel-Zuid (Brussels South).

I know Gare du Nord isn't far from Gare de l'Est but I would think a 38 minute connection is a bit too tight, considering the 30 minute check-in requirement (I know that in reality you can check in later but it doesn't leave much contingency time...)

From my own experience of delayed Paris arrival, if you miss your train at Gare du Nord, Eurostar will put you on the next one - provided seats are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.