• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keighley to Uttoxeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mardybum

Hi there, I'm due to travel from Keighley to Uttoxeter on the Friday 23rd of July. The fare is for myself (with a 16-25 railcard) and a child. We want to arrive at Uttoxeter for around 10.30 at the latest and want to return on the same day, leaving Uttoxeter at around 18.00.

I have had a quick search on a couple of websites and the cheapest ticket I found is an Off Peak Return for £47.50, however, will i be allowed to book this ticket to travel at this time? The website will let me reserve seats at my desired times.

Just wondering if i can book the off peak or if anyone can find anything cheaper.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
That off-peak ticket is valid in the morning, and you can book that now.

You could cut your total cost to £31.70 if you can get hold of a Derbyshire wayfarer day ranger ticket. These are valid throughout Derbyshire, and some lines in Yorkshire after 9am. Although the ticket is valid south of Sheffield, your train to arrive in Uttoxeter before 10:30 is the 07:21 departure from Keighley, followed by the 08:11 out of Leeds which passes through Sheffield at 08:54. Therefore you would have to combine:

*off-peak day return to Chesterfield £22.75
*Derbyshire Wayfarer £8.95

To further complicate matters, you would have to purchase the Wayfarer in advance somehow, as it is only on sale in Derbyshire. If you are visiting a relative/friend in Uttoexeter, you could ask them to purchase it and then post it on to you. Even if this person can't use your railcard and get you the full discount, the total ranger cost would still only be £15.10, which would be a travel total of £37.85, £10 off the original fare.
---
A more straight forward split, but one which saves less would be:

Kieghley > Chesterfield Anytime Day Return, £22.75
Chesterfield > Derby Off Peak Day Return, £9.85
Derby > Uttoxeter Anytime Day Return, £7.90

Total £40.50

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
on quick look..

0800 Keighly to Leeds 0827
0837 Leeds to Sheffield 0937
£16.60 Anytime Day Return to Sheffield 1adult with 16-25 and 1 child

leave earlier so you can purchase derbyshire wayfarer from sheffield ticket office

0956 Sheffield to derby arr 10261
1040 derby to uttoexeter arr 1105

8.90 adult derbyshire wayfarer
4.45 child derbyshire wayfarer

Return Journey

1758 Uttoexeter to Derby arr 1824
1844 Derby to Leeds arr 2005
2026 Leeds to Keighly arr 2051

These railway station ticket offices sell Derbyshire Wayfarer tickets on the day of travel: Alfreton, Burton-on-Trent, Buxton, Chesterfield, Derby, Long Eaton, New Mills, Newtown and Sheffield. (Please note that New Mills and Newtown ticket offices are open only on Mondays to Fridays, until 10am.)

valid from sheffield.

total cost 29.95

Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
Yes you could do the above if you were willing to arrive later than 10:30

sonic2009

Established Member
That off-peak ticket is valid in the morning, and you can book that now.

You could cut your total cost to £31.70 if you can get hold of a Derbyshire wayfarer day ranger ticket. These are valid throughout Derbyshire, and some lines in Yorkshire after 9am. Although the ticket is valid south of Sheffield, your train to arrive in Uttoxeter before 10:30 is the 07:21 departure from Keighley, followed by the 08:11 out of Leeds which passes through Sheffield at 08:54. Therefore you would have to combine:

*off-peak day return to Chesterfield £22.75
*Derbyshire Wayfarer £8.95

To further complicate matters, you would have to purchase the Wayfarer in advance somehow, as it is only on sale in Derbyshire. If you are visiting a relative/friend in Uttoexeter, you could ask them to purchase it and then post it on to you. Even if this person can't use your railcard and get you the full discount, the total ranger cost would still only be £15.10, which would be a travel total of £37.85, £10 off the original fare.
---
A more straight forward split, but one which saves less would be:

Kieghley > Chesterfield Anytime Day Return, £22.75
Chesterfield > Derby Off Peak Day Return, £9.85
Derby > Uttoxeter Anytime Day Return, £7.90

Total £40.50

or Kieghley > Wakefield Stns Anytime Day Return £8.65
Wakefield > Chestefield Stns Anytime Day Return £10.90
Chesterfield > Derby Anytime Day Return £9.85
Derby > Uttoexeter Anytime Day Return £7.90

total cost £37.30

mardybum

Thank you for the very quick replies. I would prefer to arrive in Uttoxeter at around 10.30 as i am visiting Alton Towers and want to spend as much of the day there as possible.

The Derbyshire Day Ranger ticket would mean i got there later as i dont know anyone who lives in the area.

Thank you again for all your advice...the tickets can be so confusing!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
or Kieghley > Wakefield Stns Anytime Day Return £8.65
Wakefield > Chestefield Stns Anytime Day Return £10.90
Chesterfield > Derby Anytime Day Return £9.85
Derby > Uttoexeter Anytime Day Return £7.90

total cost £37.30

Would the Chesterfield > Derby be an Off Peak Day Return?

sonic2009

Established Member
Thank you for the very quick replies. I would prefer to arrive in Uttoxeter at around 10.30 as i am visiting Alton Towers and want to spend as much of the day there as possible.

The Derbyshire Day Ranger ticket would mean i got there later as i dont know anyone who lives in the area.

Thank you again for all your advice...the tickets can be so confusing!

Would the Chesterfield > Derby be an Off Peak Day Return?

yes it is.. sorry.

button_boxer

Established Member
You can buy scratchcard-style Derbyshire Wayfarers direct from Derbyshire County Council. Phone 01629 536738 to order and they'll send you the ticket(s) by post.

So it looks like the cheapest combo would be:

Kieghley > Wakefield Stns Anytime Day Return £8.65
Wakefield > Chestefield Anytime Day Return £10.90
Derbyshire Wayfarer £8.90

Total £28.45

Last edited:

mardybum

yes it is.. sorry.

Thats great, thank you so much for finding that for me and even better, thanks for saving me some money!
You can buy scratchcard-style Derbyshire Wayfarers direct from Derbyshire County Council. Phone 01629 536738 to order and they'll send you the ticket(s) by post.

Oh thats excellent, thanks for that!

bnm

Established Member
Do you have to arrive at Uttoxeter?

An alternative (and possibly quicker) route is to Stoke-On-Trent. There is a bus to Alton Towers at 1010 from outside the station, or 1024 from the bus station in the city centre.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Is there a prize for the largest number of posters in one thread unable to spell the name of the starting station (Keighley)?

I make it 3 different misspellings in 4 posts...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A Wayfarer can in theory be issued at any NR station however if you want it to be accepted on buses then it will need to be put in a special 'pouch' and places outside the area are unlikely to stock them.

I have several scratchcards at home as if I am going to the area I can simply bring one with me and avoid having to queue for split tickets.

button_boxer

Established Member
I have several scratchcards at home as if I am going to the area I can simply bring one with me and avoid having to queue for split tickets.

I keep a stock of scratchcards as arriva (who run all the buses past my house) accept wayfarers but seem to be the only company in derbyshire who won't sell them on the bus on the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.