• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keith and Dufftown Heritage Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I did it last summer. I'll be honest, if I wasn't directly passing that way on I wouldn't bother visiting. It's pretty enough (especially running alongside the loch out towards Dufftown), but it's a DMU only line and the stations are pretty monotonous: the timetable is centred on Dufftown, where the only thing of any extended interest is their restaurant. Hmm...

If you haven't looked at it already, the nearby(-ish) Strathspey is a much better attraction.

(Sorry to any K&DR employees or volunteers who read this!)

crispy1978

I did it last summer. I'll be honest, if I wasn't directly passing that way on I wouldn't bother visiting. It's pretty enough (especially running alongside the loch out towards Dufftown), but it's a DMU only line and the stations are pretty monotonous: the timetable is centred on Dufftown, where the only thing of any extended interest is their restaurant. Hmm...

If you haven't looked at it already, the nearby(-ish) Strathspey is a much better attraction.

(Sorry to any K&DR employees or volunteers who read this!)

Hmmm - thanks. Not going near Strathspey/Aviemore unfortunately as I've done that line - I'm trying to tick off stations on this visit so going via Aberdeen this time.

Got a fairly quiet day travel-wise that day as only doing Thurso-Inverness-Aberdeen so thought it would be a nice change - will see if anyone else thinks anything of it before committing.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We're doing a forum meet towards the end of July; taking the Highland Chieftain from Kings + to Aviemore, then doing the Strathspey Railway the next day, and the Keith/Dufftown Railway the day after.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Surely it's got to be worth a go while you're in the area? It's a long way to go for it on its own trip!

I haven't done it, however it's been on my list of things to do for years. DMUs only or not, I still want to get there and cover it. Quite, this is giving me an idea now, and as I type that I'm creating even grander plans. They probably won't come to much for a while, but certainly I'm now giving the idea some serious consideration...

I hope you do it and give them a chance!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hmmm - thanks. Not going near Strathspey/Aviemore unfortunately as I've done that line - I'm trying to tick off stations on this visit so going via Aberdeen this time.

Got a fairly quiet day travel-wise that day as only doing Thurso-Inverness-Aberdeen so thought it would be a nice change - will see if anyone else thinks anything of it before committing.

If you're passing by then it's probably worth it (as I did say in my first post, just to clarify) for the sake of it. I would however check the times - I seem to recall the connections offered from the mainline services weren't great (it's about a 20 minute walk if that helps), and if distilleries aren't your thing then a couple of hours wait in Keith seems like an eternity.

crispy1978

If you're passing by then it's probably worth it (as I did say in my first post, just to clarify) for the sake of it. I would however check the times - I seem to recall the connections offered from the mainline services weren't great (it's about a 20 minute walk if that helps), and if distilleries aren't your thing then a couple of hours wait in Keith seems like an eternity.

There seemed to be a 12 minute turnaround from what I saw in Dufftown. Connections seemed OK for catching the train but yeah there did seem a wait on the way back but I'll double check when I'm home tomorrow.

A distillery does seem a good thing for me though!!!

Last edited:

Dryce

The line basically runs weekends over the holiday period. The service is a bit limited.

It's run from Dufftown so first and last services start out and end up there which limits the time available if doing it from Keith to Dufftown and back.

The station at Dufftown is next to the Glenfiddich and Balvenie distilleries. Both offer tours. Balvenie's is excellent it takes half a day and sadly can't be worked in with the KDR times if coming from Keith. Glenfiddich is more tourist orientated offers a number of tour options and it should be possible to travel to Dufftown on the first service from Keith - do the distillery and get back to Keith on the last service.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone wishes to join us in July, feel free to contact us for more information.

I have provisionally arranged a tour of the sheds, courtesy of a kind forum member who volunteers there.

If you are visiting after this date, we'll be happy to say how we got on and what it's like!

crispy1978

It's going to be mid-late August to early-mid September I would think, dependant on hotel availability/prices and advance fares.

Will probably be in and out of Dufftown in the 12 minute gap; sure I'll find something in Keith to keep me occupied.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
My plan of attack is either of the following options, as it stands:

Hereford > Newport > Bristol Temple Meads > Bristol Airport
Bristol to Inverness with easyJet
Train to Keith
Keith and Dufftown Railway
Train to Inverness
Stay in Inverness then fly back to Bristol and train home.

Alternatively:

Hereford > London by train
London Victoria Coach Station > Inverness with Megabus
Inverness > Keith
Visit the railway then return home

Of course the plan could easily change in the meantime, already looking at suitable dates to book off to get up there and make the visit.

crispy1978

My plan is looking like:

0834 Thurso - Inverness 1225
1246 Inverness - Keith 1349
1450 Keith Town - Dufftown 1528
1550 Dufftown - Keith Town 1628
1820 Keith - Aberdeen 1940

I think that should work out. Otherwise, my plan would have me in Aberdeen at 14:55 with nowhere really to go after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.