• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keith goes wandering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Jarrett

Having had some feedback on the way I report things, I am changing the way that I report my haulage acquisitions. No longer will I list every single item that warrants an entry in the comments column of my own personal log. Instead I hope to focus on the big trips rather than things that I garner as part of the daily commute from South London (neatly wedged between South West Trains, Thameslink and Southern territory).
I have been logging haulages, “shack” visited, track traversed and the like since the mid 70s and for a while I’ve had the objective of travelling on every passenger unit and behind every passenger loco on the GB network for at least 10 miles, preferably more. London Underground, DLR and Tramlink stock gets the same treatment but I have still to venture onto other urban networks in any seriousness. As time permits, I hope to pick up more preserved locos & DMUs (still need plenty of those) but my main interest is in the active fleet.

Sunday 5th October - An East London Saunter
One of my regular Sunday afternoon jaunts saw me head to Wimbledon to pick up the Basingstoke stopper from Fort Knox (aka the fast line platforms at Wimbledon). I was pleasantly surprised to see 450120 roll up as this had only been scored all time a few weeks ago but I needed to go all the way to Waterloo to get the requisite 10 miles. Noting that the Windsors were 455 worked, I opted to give SWT a miss and head back to Clapham and give the East London Line a try. At least SWT had the decency to offer up one of my last 458s for the magic 10 for the run back to Clapham Junction! A normal service on the East London Line dictated the remainder of the afternoon – knocking out 378s for the 10 mile threshold (engineering works gave a severely reduced service elsewhere on London Overground). 378151 kicked proceedings off nicely and throughout the afternoon I slowly ate my way through various DC only units such that I need only five of them to clear for 10 miles, one of them being 149 which I bailed off of too early. But had I gone through to Highbury with it, I would have missed 138 but that’s bashing! I also noted required 145 and 217 amongst others in traffic. Not wanting to do the trek back from the East London Line proper to Clapham Junction on a dud unit when there were winners to be had, I engineered my last move such that I fell into 256. A nice little bonus for the final rail leg was 450569 from Clapham Junction back to Wimbledon. I’d never had this as a 450/5 before – only 450560 to go and I will have had all the Dessies as 5s.

All the afternoon’s moves are here
450120+450127 Wimbledon to Waterloo 450120 Cleared for 10 miles
8008+8027 Waterloo to Clapham Junction 8027 Cleared for 10 miles
378151 Clapham Junction to Peckham Rye Cleared for 10 miles
378154 Peckham Rye to Wandsworth Road ---
378142 Wandsworth Road to Surrey Quays Cleared for 10 miles
378139 Surrey Quays to Shadwell ---
378154 Shadwell to Hoxton Cleared for 10 miles
378141 Hoxton to Whitechapel Cleared for 10 miles
378138 Whitechapel to Canonbury Cleared for 10 miles
378226 Canonbury to Highbury & Islington Cleared for 10 miles
378210 Highbury & Islington to Canonbury ---
378138 Canonbury to Wapping Cleared for 10 miles
378149 Wapping to Canonbury ---
378208 Canonbury to Brockley Cleared for 10 miles
378136 Brockley to Surrey Quays ---
378256 Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction Cleared for 10 miles
450119+450569 Clapham Junction to Wimbledon 450569 required as 450/5
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Saturday 11th October – Manchester here we come

A chance of a full day out on a Saturday meant a rapid inspection of the requirements book to determine where I might go. Within seconds, the destination was sorted. “Manchester here we come” on account of still needing 40+ 142s for the magic 10 miles (and a quarter of them required outright) as well as most Northern 323s for 10 (including five outright requirements in this department). It was a no brainer.

So tube to Euston where I persuaded the Virgin ticket office to issue my Greater Manchester Rail Ranger – excellent value at a fiver – in case I needed to move quickly at Stockport. A required 390115 whisked me to Stockport where we ran in parallel to a pair of pacers but neither 142033 or 037 were on my lists so I had to make do with 185111 into Piccadilly. At least that was a winner! Wandering over to check out the Marples, 142027 quickly attracted my attention so off to Romiley along with a train load of ramblers obviously heading for a day’s hill bashing. Doubling back to Brinnington (required shack) saw me bag 142048 and then 142054 back to Piccadilly. I was on a roll. 142049 was sat on the blocks but no indication as to when it might move and I needed a decent run off of that one. I’d also seen required 142036 floating around but could not fathom out the diagram for 036.

What next? 323231, an outright winner, got me out of that quandary so off to the Airport we went. Within a millisecond of arriving, 150226 chugs out and more to the point, without me. Ah well, that outright winner will have to wait but at least the Liverpools normal stick all day so hopefully I’ll bag that later. A required 185110 gets me out of trouble and thinking that I need to check out the north side of town, a conveniently placed pair of 156s saw me in Bolton in no time with 156441 having clocked up the requisite 10 miles. In the past I’d had a great deal of luck on the Salford-Bolton corridor but this time, while I found some joy on the 150 front including outright winner 150214, there was hardly a pacer to be seen. So a dilemma presented itself. Should I stick this side of town or go back south side where I’d seen several required 323s, the aforementioned 150226 and another outright winner on Liverpool-Airport in the form of 150111? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so back “south side” it was.

Outright winner 185138 helped my decision as I’d knew that I’d drop straight onto 150226 at Piccadilly for a run into the Airport. Outright winner 185148 soon saw me back at Piccadilly with a few minutes to spare before 150111 showed up for the third spin of the day into the Airport and yet another winning 185, 147 this time back out. With all these runs to the Airport, anyone would think I was a plane spotter.

There was one Marple turn and a Sheffield turn that I had yet to see. I had noted that 142049 had run out to Marple and a guard had just opened up 142036 for the next Marple working.Just as I had selected my seat, out came the cry “Everybody off. Not this train. There’s one in front”. Unnoticed, 150136 had wandered in thus solving the mystery of the final unit on Marples. At least I wanted it so out to Woodley for the second new shack of the day and 142049 (at last) back to Piccadilly. I’d already had the pleasure of seeing outright requirement 156472 on the Hazel Grove run (twice) and I had about ½ hour to get to Stockport for it. But could I get something required? Yes, 156491 should have been coming down from Preston. But that soon went out the window as it was 18 late and likely to be at best a zero connection at Stockport. So the big question was, could I get something worthwhile out of this? Yes, Vomit Comet 221128 was soon to leave so at least I got an outright winner out of it. 156472 duly produced with the original plan being to jump at Deansgate for the next inbound Hazel Grove back to Stockport and my Pendolino home. Checked the inbound working and I could make it at Salford Crescent on account of late running. But I was not expecting to stay at the Crescent for less than ½ a minute though and out of one guard’s door into another. That was tight and thank goodness for island platforms! 156461 was a most welcome end to the day’s bashing. But where were all the pacers? Manchester used to be crawling with them as apart from the Marples /Sheffield stoppers, very few were to be seen?

Despite the poor performance on the Pacer front, a good day overall and here’s the list of moves.
390115 Euston to Stockport New as 390/1, cleared for 100 miles
185111 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly New
142027 Manchester Piccadilly to Romiley Cleared for 10 miles
142038 Romiley to Brinnington ---
142048 Brinnington to Romiley Cleared for 10 miles
142054 Romiley to Manchester Piccadilly Cleared for 10 miles
323231 Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport New, cleared for 10 miles
185110 Manchester Airport to Manchester Piccadilly New, cleared for 10 miles
156441+156482 Manchester Piccadilly to Bolton 156441 Cleared for 10 miles
150110 Bolton to Salford Crescent Cleared for 10 miles
150133+150134 Salford Crescent to Bolton 150133 Cleared for 10 miles
150214+156487 Bolton to Salford Crescent 150214 New
185138+185150 Salford Crescent to Manchester Piccadilly 185138 New
150226 Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport New, cleared for 10 miles
185148 Manchester Airport to Manchester Piccadilly New, cleared for 10 miles
150111 Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport New, cleared for 10 miles
185147 Manchester Airport to Manchester Piccadilly New, cleared for 10 miles
150136 Manchester Piccadilly to Woodley Cleared for 10 miles
142049 Woodley to Manchester Piccadilly Cleared for 10 miles
221128 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport ---
156472 Stockport to Salford Crescent ---
156461 Salford Crescent to Stockport Cleared for 10 miles
390135 Stockport to Euston Cleared for 100 miles

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'll just reply quickly for now, as I've got to get ready for work, but don't want to lose track of this thread!

I'm glad you've decided to join the rest of us trip reporters, and I look forward to a proper read of this later (which will probably be on my commute home I'm afraid, the commute in I have no time to spare on today), but I have no doubt it will be an enjoyable read :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just read it after work, a most fascinating read. Shame you didn't have much luck on the Pacer front but a very successful day all in by the sounds of it!

As for 450560, I believe that's my last one to find for sight so I join in the hope to find it one day!

That bird in the hand saying you used is a little unusual! Also I didn't know you had been cranking since the 1970s!

The point on the 378s and Highbury is a good one, it can be a tough choice as to where to bail sometimes! Finally for now, why 10 miles as a target? So long as I have at least 1 chain off something I'm happy, and my target for anything is the traditional 'magical thou', on some stuff I'm getting close but I never get 175116 lately, only need 20 miles off it!

Keith Jarrett

Just read it after work, a most fascinating read. Shame you didn't have much luck on the Pacer front but a very successful day all in by the sounds of it!

Since writing up the Manchester report, I've had a closer look at the individual Pacers still needed (either as outright winners or for the magic 10) and was slightly surprised [Ed: more like shocked] to see that over half on my list are east-side machines, i.e. those dreaded Heaton based ones. And if you look at the ones I've never had, it's even more skewed towards Heaton, the vital stats being 8 from 11. And Heaton 156s are in an even worse state with only one not featuring on my list either for the magic 10 or as an outright need. I had already started planning a Freedom of the North East 4 in 8 for next year. Once the dark months set in after the clocks go back then the planning will up a gear or twenty!

Also I didn't know you had been cranking since the 1970s!

I first started taking numbers in late 1970 and by 1973 was taking an interest in what was on the front of the train I was travelling on although it was 1976 before I specifically started going for haulages with the period 1978 to 1980 being the golden years for loco haulage. Soon after, the rot set in with other priorities such as wine, women and song (sincere apologies to Whitesnake ....). A more settled life followed on but soon came with added family responsibilities - during this period interests wandered away from outright haulage/bashing but I was still in there with the rails, either in model form or photography. But in recent years, I got really interested once again in the bashing/travel/haulage side of things again and as they say, the rest is history. Thankfully I logged all my travels since 1980 - rail, underground, preserved and even bus - so have a complete record to fall back on. Some of it is still in notebooks but I am slowly computerising the lot. (That'll be for the nostalgia forum though....). But now I'd say my interest is 70% haulage/bashing/travel with the remainder being models & photography.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I sympathise with the Heaton machines, I have many needs up there. Quite, a Tyne and Tees Day Ranger is well up the list of stuff to do in 2015 (there's not a lot that isn't on that list somewhere!), as is a North West rover. When I'm going to have time to do much of it all I have no idea, let alone the finances!

Bet you're glad you kept recording everything over the years though!

Keith Jarrett

Saturday 25th October – The Mancunian re-run

The decision making process for the last trip out (on October 11th) also took in the opportunity to fill in some more gaps in the haulage requirements. With Manchester easily accessible from London and a haulage requirements list as long as the proverbial snake, I went for a rerun of the trip earlier in the month basically because it’s going to take absolutely ages for me to clear up Manchester and district.

The tube seemed to deliver me to Euston in record time and I must have been one of the first to board the totally dud Pendolino for the trek northwards to Stockport. Unlike the previous excursion earlier in the month, I did not make the dead zero at Stockport onto the inbound Chester that was double Pacer last time. But at least I was able to see it; this time it was a dud 150 with an equally dud Pacer on the back. Nothing lost there. There’s never long to wait at Stockport for the next train up and East Midlands tempted me with a 156 + 158 combo (410 + 865). The 156 was still needed for the magic 10 miles but I would need a second trip to tip it over 10. The 158 was no good to me but looking back through my records, the last time I had it was back in April 1998 when it was a Wales and West unit from Bristol TM to Newport.

A lone 158 soon presented itself for the next trip so it was back to Stockport for me and in the process tipping 158866 over the required 10 miles in the process. A winning 323239 took me to Piccadilly. Perhaps we can now get down to some serious bashing? 142012 sorted that out nicely as a trip out to Woodley would get the magic 10 clocked up. Expecting something dud to return me to Piccadilly, 142045 was a pleasant surprise. Two 142s cleared for 10 miles; surely there would be more to come yet. 150218 was my next conveyance of choice and a quick spin to the Airport saw the previous Bus Stop Mileage converted to a mature 10+. 150218 was another unit that I had not ridden in an absolute age – the record says that my previous (and only) encounter was way back in September 1989 from Salford Crescent to Piccadilly. Brand new, for my books at least, a winning 185146 soon got me away from plane spotters heaven back to the sanity of Piccadilly and haulage bashes.

Outright winner 323230 looked rather tempting on the next Hadfield, especially as the last time I had ventured beyond Guide Bridge on that line, the wires were energised at 1,500 volts DC. I was not planning to go all the way but instead to bail at Broadbottom to get the magic 10 for something back. A late start put paid to that move and instead the infamous Bus Stop Bash came into play with a bail at Ashburys for a winning 323227 back to Piccadilly. I could not see anything else about, so back out to Guide Bridge with 323227 for a dud 323225 back in. I’d have gone further but I was not sure how late 323230 would be on its return.

I’d seen 150145 heading to Hazel Grove earlier and a winning (one of five) 150 was hard to refuse. A move was evolving. Go to Stockport and meet it coming back, using it to get over to Salford Crescent for the “north” side services. What better way to get to Stockport that the next Hazel Grove with a winning 156426? 156 winners around Manchester are hard to come by with only six needed so I was rather please to bag one. Following the stagger to Stockport (I’d forgotten that the Hazel Grove services called at intermediate shacks), I quickly strolled through the subway at Stockport and 150145 was looming large! Only four two-car 150s to go (plus the two new three-cars recently formed up by Great Western). But at Piccadilly, the plans changed as there was no crew to take 150145 up to Preston (or me to Salford Crescent). While in a slight dilemma as to what to do, 142070 bounced in heading towards the Airport. This was allegedly a Heaton based machine so I was certainly not going to refuse a ride (over half the 142s on my lists are Heaton allocated). Even though this was almost certainly a dead end move, I had to take it to get 10 miles on the clock.

Arriving at the Airport, I was greeted by a wall of dud 185s so decided that getting out on the first available service back to Piccadilly was the order of the day. My thoughts turned to trying to intercept 156426 heading back north but I opted for 323237 to Stockport (duly cleared for 10 miles) and see what the system would provide me with thereafter. At most I could hope for was some Voyager or Pendolino. No, they powers that be excelled themselves with a winning 175104 (one of five Arriva Wales units still awaiting the “red pen treatment”). Whoopee! Already thinking ahead, we should arrive back in Piccadilly in time for the electric TPE over to Wigan so that I could get “north” side for an hour or two. The move worked and winning 350401 gave me my first electric journey over Chat Moss to Wigan North Western. Anecdotal evidence time. The last time that I did the curve off of Chat Moss onto the WCML was back in May 1980 with 47441 northbound followed by 47491 southbound.

I either had a choice now. Wait 10 minutes or so for another TPE 350 back to Piccadilly or hot foot it up the road to Wallgate. Hot feet won! Arriving into Wallgate a minute or two later I was greeted by the sight of 156420 with the road and ready to leave. “Hmm, that number is familiar” I thought almost out loud. “Houston, we have another winning 156 on our hands” was the next thought to go through my mind. Right away Salford Crescent as it was no good bailing at Bolton on several counts: One, train behind was a known dud; two, after that there was a large gap due to late running and three, it would be nice to get over 10 miles off of 156420. Just as we approached the Crescent, 150115 passed going the other way. I could probably bag that later back to Piccadilly in order to get 10 or more miles on the clock. As we rolled into the platform at Crescent, 142031 spluttered into the other platform. Cue me changing trains at a rapid rate if only on the account of my being short of 142 scores so far. So that was “nodding donkey” number four cleared for 10 miles upon arrival back at Bolton.

Next up at Bolton was a pair of 185s with 185133 a winner. 10 minutes later I was back at the Crescent watching 185119 arrive with a friend (185148). 119 was a winner so back to Bolton with a roar! Back over the footbridge to see what I could get back south but I was not prepared for the next arrival. Winning 156424 was definitely to be had so again, Salford Crescent here I come. Then for the cherry on top of the cake (I’d already had the icing) - 142042. I had to take several glances at the number before it sunk in. WINNER! Time was not on my side but I knew I could just about make Bolton for 150115 back to Piccadilly. In the event, quite easy as I had a few minutes to spare.

Having cleared 150115 for 10 miles, I bade farewell to it at Piccadilly and had about ½ hour before I needed to be heading towards the capital. I rejected a Vomit Comet that was needed for 10 miles (221125 from memory) hoping that I could get something better. I rejected 175104 (would have cleared for 10 miles) as next out after that was 390155 which was an all time winner so I was off to Stockport. I was resigned to a 20 minute wait in Stockport for my assigned train home when 323239 rolled in going to Alderley Edge. A bit of quick thinking on my part. The 323 stops at Wilmslow and as does my assigned train home. Go to Wilmslow and pick up the Pendolino there. In the process, I clear the 323 for 10 miles and after a few minutes at Wilmslow, 390132 rolls in to take me back south. At least Virgin had the decency to provide me with a winning Pendolino back home. I’d already had it as a 9-car but I’m doing all the Pendolinos again as 11-cars.

A good day although like many bashing trips, things did not go exactly to plan (if there ever was one) but with a fistful of winners and several more cleared for 10 miles I arrived home happy, but tired. The highlights were definitely knocking out three 156 winners (only three Allerton ones needed now) and best of all, a rare winning Pacer (only two Newton Heath to go). Thank goodness the clocks went back and I could have a legitimate extra hour in bed!

In case you did not follow all the moves in the text, here they are again.
390047 Euston to Stockport ---
156410+158865 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly ---
158866 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport Cleared for 10 miles
323239 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly New
142012 Manchester Piccadilly to Woodley Cleared for 10 miles
142045 Woodley to Manchester Piccadilly Cleared for 10 miles
150218 Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport Cleared for 10 miles
185146 Manchester Airport to Manchester Piccadilly New, Cleared for 10 miles
323230 Manchester Piccadilly to Ashburys New
323227 Ashburys to Manchester Piccadilly New
323227 Manchester Piccadilly to Guide Bridge ---
323225 Guide Bridge to Manchester Piccadilly ---
156426 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport New
150145 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly New
142070 Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport Cleared for 10 miles
185131+185149 Manchester Airport to Manchester Piccadilly ---
323237 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport Cleared for 10 miles
175104 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly New
350401 Manchester Piccadilly to Wigan North Western New, Cleared for 10 miles
156420 Wigan Wallgate to Salford Crescent New, Cleared for 10 miles
142031 Salford Crescent to Bolton Cleared for 10 miles
185121+185133 Bolton to Salford Crescent 185133 New
185119+185148 Salford Crescent to Bolton 185119 New
156424 Bolton to Salford Crescent New
142042 Salford Crescent to Bolton New
150115 Bolton to Manchester Piccadilly Cleared for 10 miles
390155 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport New
323239 Stockport to Wilmslow Cleared for 10 miles
390132 Wilmslow to Euston New as 390/1, cleared for 100 miles

Happy bashing!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Another fascinating read as always :D However, one thing to note:

"185121 Bolton to Salford Crescent ---
185121+185133 Bolton to Salford Crescent 185133 New!"

;)

Keith Jarrett

Another fascinating read as always :D However, one thing to note:

"185121 Bolton to Salford Crescent ---
185121+185133 Bolton to Salford Crescent 185133 New!"

;)

More haste, less speed! You've just highlighted the problems of copying material from the master log and (non) editing of appropriate entries.

Watch out for what should be the final long distance trip of the year - that's in the schedule for Friday. Thereafter until reasonable daylight hours resume, I will restrict myself to pottering around the capital and its environs.
I might have bumped into you on 390132, coach U was rather empty (and had no working power sockets)

Yes, I was in coach U with its non working power sockets. Thank goodness I had an external battery pack to recharge the phone. I simply could not be bothered to check whether sockets were working in any other coaches as I had a table all to myself and there was the important business of catching up on eating supper.

Funnily enough, that's the second time that I've almost run into another basher this month. A guy from South Wales seemed to be traveling on some of the same stuff as me (but not necessarily at the same time) two weeks previously. In fact we ended up on consecutive trains out of Piccadilly at one point!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Rather looking forward to reading your write-up from Friday, hope it's a good bash! Had problems with transferring notes many times in the past, not as much as losing notes mind!

Keith Jarrett

Friday October 31st – Going over old ground on Halloween

The last long distance trip of the year and could I sleep the night before? No was the short answer. A full days bashing on about three to four hours sleep is simply not recommended by heyho, it has to be done. Leaving home at stupid o’clock, I make my way to Euston and as ever arrive in plenty of time for my train. Would I be disappointed with Virgin’s offering? Of course! I’m sure that whenever I book tickets for travel on Virgin trains, an alert goes straight to Virgin Control who then ensure that I have a dud Pendolino! 390006 was dud in every way possible but there again most 9-car 390s are totally dud unless it is clearing for 1,000 miles. Today’s sacrificial offering of 390006 was no exception.

Today’s trip had been planned many weeks ago and long before the previous two October trips but nevertheless, I was again destined for Manchester with the main objective being hunting down Pacers. I ditched 390006 at Stockport and immediately noted that despite our late arrival, the inbound mid Cheshire line service was even later. Thank goodness it was, as 142011 trundled into Stockport and there was an immediate connect with my requirements list as previously, I had only done two bus stop bashes © with it. The original idea was to try out the Fridays Only Parliamentary service to Stalybridge but 142011 was too good to refuse.Alas, a trip to Piccadilly would not remove 142011 from the wants list so hopefully I’d run into it later.

Upon arrival at Piccadilly for the first time today I was greeted by the sight of a 150 lash-up being prepared and I wanted two out of three for the magic 10 so Stockport here we come. “This is starting to look good” I thought to myself as I strolled through the subway and was even more pleased with myself when first train up was 323236. Another one over ten by the time of my second arrival at Piccadilly. “But what’s Pacer in the adjacent platform?” 142011 bound for Chester. About 20 seconds later, I was aboard and bouncing back to Stockport feeling extremely pleased with myself. 323230, which was extremely low mileage returned me to Piccadilly. Still more work to do on that one. Later perhaps? 156426, a winner on my last trip to Manchester, was next up so yet again I found myself strolling through the cavernous subway at Stockport.

I’d seen 142058 on the Rose Hills earlier on and I had about twenty minutes to get back to Piccadilly for it. 175002 rolls in. Tet another low mileage machine and I’m still short by the time we come to a halt at Piccadilly. I resist the chance of returning to Stockport with it as 142058 is due in. From what I had seen earlier on, I figured that I should be on for another 142 “on the list” once I have dealt with 142058. Annoyingly, I espy 142005 which is one of the few 142s needed for a photograph but that appeared to be going ECS to Newton Heath. Can’t get them all. Anyway, back to 142058 and I stagger with it out to Woodley. It seems odd that Pacers are the main traction at some of the intermediate stations between Piccadilly and Guide Bridge when surely the EMUs on the Hadfields would be better traction and allow the diesels to run non-stop to Guide Bridge. I was not to be disappointed at Woodley as next up was the pairing of 142049 & 142052. The latter last featuring in the haulage log back in 2005 on a bus stop bash © so a decent run to Piccadilly puts it over the required 10 miles. On the way in, we had passed 142001, yet another suspect wanted by the Mileage Police. 142052 was another on the list for a photo so a quick snap was had a Piccadilly. I figured that a run back out with the pair that I had just come into Piccadilly with would allow me to meet the doyen of the class. I’d also seen 323233 a couple of times – 233 was my last 323 for haulage so I definitely had to get that sometime during the day. But how? Not needing as much mileage off of 142001, I opted for a bail at Hyde Central so that I could score the shack.

Upon my return to Piccadilly, I had 40 minutes to kill before my appointment with my last 323. Another 323 (227) took me for a quick spin out to Stockport and in the process, tipping it over the hallowed 10 miles. 221124, the first outright winner of the day, was waiting to whisk me back to Piccadilly whereupon 323233 was waiting for me to sample it. I wanted to get a straight 10 miles with this but that meant going to Broadbottom for a dodgy +1 back. Not knowing the layout of the station I opted for the safe bail at Hattersley; at least I scored a new shack in the process. Given 323229’s very prompt arrival, I may well have been left at Broadbottom licking my wounds for half an hour or so, I think I made the right move.

Back at Piccadilly I quickly shuffled through my notes and apart from 185s which can wait, all that I wanted were 323s for 10 miles. They can wait too! Oh, apart from a few 15x DMUs seen on cross city services. 156427 was on Preston to Hazel Grove along with 150214 on Southports. A quick fumble with the timetable confirmed that I had about two minutes to make it over to Platform 14 to bag 150214 (a winner from early this month) which duly took me to Salford Crescent and in so doing, pushed the mileage to the right side of 10.

I did not have long to wait for 156455 up to Bolton on the stopper – memo to self, must try to do some of the intermediate shacks sometime. But how do you do Clifton? One train each way every day and it appears, after buses have stopped serving the station. Thoughts on a postcard please. One of the other stations appears to have a long hike between platforms as well. I digress. At Bolton, I pass 150143+150273 leaving for Buxton. Think of an expletive or two once I had worked out they were headed for Buxton and unless I abandoned most of the evening peak out of Victoria, there was no way that I could get to these low mileage units and get 10 miles off them.

150135 following behind was a bit of a consolation prize as a trip back to the Crescent secured the necessary to get 10 miles on the clock. By no the evening peak was in full swing with several cancellations and some short formations which meant that getting on trains would be difficult. But the pairing of 142046 & 150115 was required and while others dithered I found my 10 square inches to stand. If I had not required 142046 for the obligatory 10 miles, I might have decided on a different course of action as standing on a Pacer hammering down the mainline to Bolton is not recommended as a form of pleasure. As we were leaving the Crescent, I saw what I thought was 142094. A quick consultation of Real Time Trains identified the train as being a Southport to Airport so I grab that on the return. Bu now I had worked out that 156427 was up at Preston and should be back soon on the Buxton so suddenly things were falling into place. Off at Bolton, a leisurely stroll over the bridge, 156427 back to somewhere for 142094. 156427 duly showed up with 150269 for company and my maths said that it was a dead zero at Piccadilly for 142094 so Oxford Road would be comfortable. Oxford Road was heaving on account of Trans Pennine swapping passengers from a Glasgow-bound 185 onto a 350 and taking a day and an age to do it. At least 142094 was still awaited and it eventually staggered in with 156471 keeping it company. Most normal opted for the relative comfort of the 156. That was dud for me, unlike the 142 so I had a seat all the way to Bolton. That was the sixth pacer to be cleared for 10 miles that day so I was feeling a little pleased with myself. Nevertheless, I was now having to think about getting the right side of Manchester for my booked train home.

There were three trains up in the next 20 minutes so I thought that I might get something out of it. The first one was no good (a dud 150), the second was an equally dud 185 and I did not know what the 3rd was. So I let the first one go and was about to let the second go when the station announced advised that the 3rd one was cancelled. So onto the crowded 185 I get think that after the Lord Mayor’s Show (i.e. Heaton allocated 142094) comes the dustcart (185142). That 3rd train did eventually run but I was now focussed on trying to get to Piccadilly to see if I could at least salvage some mileage off of the 150143/273 pairing. I succeeded in bagging the pair but not enough miles could be had to get both over 10 miles – both had been victims of past bus stop bashes ©. If I went beyond Stockport, there was no way back for ages and thus I was in missed train home territory so I reluctantly parted company with the happy couple.

I had an hour to kill. Could I get something of use? Surely? After watching a procession of duds going both ways, I opted for a dud pacer (142039) back to Piccadilly to see if there was anything else on offer. Not a prayer! Consequently, rather than entrust the entire journey home to a single Pendolino, I opted for one last trip (with 150269 and 156427) out to Stockport) to await Virgin’s offering for the homeward journey. Once again Virgin Control were having the last laugh with the provision of 390046 – not required apart from breaching the 100 mile barrier! But I was treated to a storming run where an eight late start was converted at one point into a potential on time arrival back at Euston until a signal check near Camden Sidings put paid to that. On the upside, 46 minutes after arriving at Euston, I was putting the key in the front door. That’s almost a record – only once have I done Euston platform to front door any quicker (44 minutes in the theoretical minimum).

To sum up, this trip did not have the outright winners that the trips earlier in the month were able to deliver but all the same, ‘twas a good ‘un with six pacers getting the nudge over the ten mile barrier and another class (323) cleared for haulage. And I managed to avoid going “up the Airport” in my quest for winners! However, the Manchester wants list is still taking up far too much paper so next year, I will be forced into further trips to the supposed “Northern Powerhouse” But until the new year, any excursions will almost certainly be confined to in and around the capital.

For completeness, here’s a record of my moves from the trip
390006 Euston to Stockport ---
142011 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly ---
150141/149/206 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport 150141+206 cleared for 10 miles
323236 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly Cleared for 10 miles
142011 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport Cleared for 10 miles
323230 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly ---
156426 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport Cleared for 10 miles
175002 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly ---
142058 Manchester Piccadilly to Woodley Cleared for 10 miles
142049+052 Woodley to Manchester Piccadilly 149052 cleared for 10 miles
142049+052 Manchester Piccadilly to Hyde Central ---
142001 Hyde Central to Manchester Piccadilly Cleared for 10 miles
323227 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport Cleared for 10 miles
221124 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly New
323233 Manchester Piccadilly to Hattersley New, class cleared for haulage
323229 Hattersley to Manchester Piccadilly Cleared for 10 miles
150214 Manchester Piccadilly to Salford Crescent Cleared for 10 miles
156455 Salford Crescent to Bolton Cleared for 10 miles
150135 Bolton to Salford Crescent Cleared for 10 miles
142046+150115 Salford Crescent to Bolton 142046 cleared for 10 miles
150269+156427 Bolton to Manchester Oxford Road 156427 cleared for 10 miles
142094+156471 Manchester Oxford Road to Bolton 142094 cleared for 10 miles
185142 Bolton to Manchester Piccadilly ---
150143+273 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport ---
142039 Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly ---
150269+156427 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport ---
390043 Stockport to Euston Cleared for 100 miles

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A rather successful trip all in, despite not many outright winners. A couple of months now to clear out the capital then, which I should imagine won't take long given your location! :lol: Plenty of new stuff coming your way too in the next few years!

Love the term "Northern Powerhouse", and I'm also in dire need of a return to it as well. Looking at a return to the Southern Region though next month as my list of needs there is still massive. I think at the last check I still need more than 140 EMUs with Southern...

Keith Jarrett

A rather successful trip all in, despite not many outright winners. A couple of months now to clear out the capital then, which I should imagine won't take long given your location! :lol: Plenty of new stuff coming your way too in the next few years!

Love the term "Northern Powerhouse", and I'm also in dire need of a return to it as well. Looking at a return to the Southern Region though next month as my list of needs there is still massive. I think at the last check I still need more than 140 EMUs with Southern...

140 Southern emus? Ouch! That won't be sorted in five minutes. Thankfully, the only Southern ones required all time are a handful of 171s. And thanks to clearing 377466 for ten miles last month, I'm not chasing any green Electrostars.
Believe it or not, I do have weak areas (it's all relative of course) around the capital. I need a fair few off Chiltern with a smattering from Great Northern & Greater Anglia, not forgetting a fistful of 395s. Hopefully this winter will sort some of them out.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
140 Southern emus? Ouch! That won't be sorted in five minutes. Thankfully, the only Southern ones required all time are a handful of 171s. And thanks to clearing 377466 for ten miles last month, I'm not chasing any green Electrostars.

Ah yes, I think the 171s are included in that count of 140, so about 125 EMUs. Which would suggest I only need 13 455/8s, maybe I should get on with counting up my requirements again, something doesn't sound right! Something to do on my commute to work tomorrow...

Correct it will take a while to get through, but it's all coming together. I need 162 EMUs on SWT (1 158 with them too) and 188 EMUs on Southeastern, so my Southern requirements aren't bad in comparison! Really should plough on with having an almighty clearout in London!

Believe it or not, I do have weak areas (it's all relative of course) around the capital. I need a fair few off Chiltern with a smattering from Great Northern & Greater Anglia, not forgetting a fistful of 395s. Hopefully this winter will sort some of them out.

I still have 14 EMUs (all 10 350/3s, 1 321/4 and 3 350/2s) to get with London Midland, and 9 390s (2 of which are /0s) with Virgin, to clear my 'patch', although that said Chiltern send 165s to/from Birmingham and there's a good few of them to find yet. Then of course there's the 68s coming soon <D

Good luck sorting out your requirements over the winter!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I just need 158882 & 158885 for the SWT 158s, then that is this patch covered for regular haulage (so excluding the odd FGW 150/153 they might bring down if short of 158 for the Carport.

SWT EMUs is probably around the 250 number :(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just 158884 for SWT's DMUs here :) 180 EMUs with them though, this does however include all the 458/5s which of course are nowhere near done yet!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Best to try and cover the 458/5s when they are mostly complete

At current rate of roll-out by which time the 700s will all be in service ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I know right! The 387s will be going to the Western at this rate lol!

(Sorry to hi-jack your thread Keith Jarrett!)

Keith Jarrett

Sunday November 2nd – Go East or was it North?

The restricted daylight hours have an effect on my bashing – I’m less inclined to go out for lengthy day trips. But then I don’t mind a few hours wandering around the capital picking up odds and ends. Target for this afternoon’s jolly was the East London Line; specifically its 378/1s and clearing them for 10 miles before the 5th car gets inserted as I understand that the 378/1s are the first to be done. [Ed: Since starting to pull this report together, I’ve seen photos of 378135 with its addition al carriage). Of course, I will have to start all over again with the 378s once they gain their 5th car!

The need to renew my annual Travelcard saw me travelling to Wimbledon as South West Trains give their Annual Season Ticket holders six free weekend days travel every year. That’s very useful for hunting down SWT units to ride! [Ed: Are these free passes only issued to haulage cranks?]

Once I had handed over a large amount of money to SWT (thank goodness for the interest free loan from work) I made my way to Clapham Junction by means of 450119/554/557. So much choice and which dud unit do I sit in? The first East London Line unit out of Clapham was a dud but going the other way to Highbury & Islington was 378211 (one of the former Lyca Mobile trains) which was needed for 10 miles. That target would be passed just after departure from Kensal Rise so Brondesbury Park was selected as my destination. Leaving Clapham, we passed 378210 which also featured on my lists so I had something to go forward from Brondesbury Park with.
Passing other things of interest, a sort of plan (which did not seem to involve the East London Line and its 378/1s) was developing. I took 378210 as far as Gospel Oak and had 20 odd minutes to fill in before the next delicacy was due. [Ed: How can you refer to a 378 as a delicacy?] A fill in move with 172006 to Crouch Hill for 172001 back was infinitely preferable to a wait at Gospel Oak. I’ll still need another go at these two to clear them for 10 miles but that’ll be for another day.

378255 was next up heading towards Stratford followed by 378221 (the other former Lyca Mobile advert 378) {Ed: Just needed 319218 to complete the set of Lyca Mobile adverts – what was my train to work the following morning? 319218 of course]. Needing a decent mileage off of both of these, I decided to split the journey at Dalston Kingsland and thus shortening the stay at Stratford lest I got distracted by a fistful of required Great Eastern (sorry, it’s Greater Anglia these days) units.

Having sorted 378221 and 378255 for the Magic 10, I found myself at Highbury & Islington. Knowing that 378224 was at the Stratford end of proceedings, I did a few fill in moves and landed myself at Canonbury with the intention of heading west with 224 which was needed for a decent mileage to clear for 10. But I was distracted by 378145 which was on an even lower mileage. I’d only ever had it once on a Bus Stop Bash © when I was out red penning the 378/1s when they were new. And as the intention for the afternoon was to get a few East London Line units, I could hardly go home without having had any! In some ways, I should have let 378145 go as I could probably have knocked both 378224 and 378232 on the head.

I checked as many 378s as I could on the ELL but I didn’t see anything of interest – perhaps they were all just in front of me or on the depot. The 10 miles with 378145 were up long before Clapham Junction so I opted to bail at Clapham High Street for the tube (& bus) home. That’s a curious thing, you walk out of Clapham High Street station and are confronted with a sign proclaiming that its only 100 metres to Clapham North underground. Walk literally a dozen paces towards Clapham North and the distance has increased to 150m! One sign appears to be TfL sponsored while the other is a local authority one – I serious wonder whether each body uses different measuring sticks for determining distance.

Today’s moves were
450119} Wimbledon to Clapham Junction ---
450554}
450557}
378211 Clapham Junction to Brondesbury Park Cleared for 10 miles
378210 Brondesbury Park to Gospel Oak Cleared for 10 miles
172006 Gospel Oak to Crouch Hill ---
172001 Crouch Hill to Gospel Oak ---
378255 Gospel Oak to Dalston Kingsland ---
378221 Dalston Kingsland to Stratford ---
378255 Stratford to Canonbury Cleared for 10 miles
378221 Canonbury to Highbury & Islington Cleared for 10 miles
378219 Highbury & Islington to Canonbury ---
378224 Canonbury to Caledonian Road & Barnsbury ---
378232 Caledonian Road & Barnsbury to Canonbury ---
378145 Canonbury to Clapham High Street Cleared for 10 miles

PS Apologies to Techniquest, Ed seems to have paid a visit over here!

Kite159

Veteran Member
A 378 is a delicacy compared to a 376 on a hot summer day ;)

Maybe one of the signs is measured by actual walking distance and the other as the crow flies?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
PS Apologies to Techniquest, Ed seems to have paid a visit over here!

Nay drama, you've used it in a slightly different format to me, in that you put the Ed bit at the start of the comment, and you don't use italicising. Plus I've nicked Bus Stop Bash off you so can't complain now can I! I was also pleased to see the same sort of humour being applied that I enjoy using! :D

A good successful trip on your doorstep there, but I'm curious why you're going for the 378s again when they get their 5th carriage? I might be missing something of course!

Keith Jarrett

Nay drama, you've used it in a slightly different format to me, in that you put the Ed bit at the start of the comment, and you don't use italicising. Plus I've nicked Bus Stop Bash off you so can't complain now can I! I was also pleased to see the same sort of humour being applied that I enjoy using! :D

A good successful trip on your doorstep there, but I'm curious why you're going for the 378s again when they get their 5th carriage? I might be missing something of course!

I'm going for the 378s in four car format simply so that I can have all (hopefully) of what will be a defunct formation. Anyway, I am down to single figures on 378s now and should have them all sorted in a few weeks. Then I'll probably leave them alone until there's a decent number of five car units formed up. Problem is, I'll have to find somewhere else to go on a winter Sunday afternoon. Great Eastern perhaps? Or Chiltern?

Oh, I think swapping Ed for Bus Stop Bash is a fair deal.
A 378 is a delicacy compared to a 376 on a hot summer day ;)

Maybe one of the signs is measured by actual walking distance and the other as the crow flies?

Crows flying around Clapham High Street? Whatever next! Good explanation but I'm sure incompetence is more likely.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm going for the 378s in four car format simply so that I can have all (hopefully) of what will be a defunct formation. Anyway, I am down to single figures on 378s now and should have them all sorted in a few weeks. Then I'll probably leave them alone until there's a decent number of five car units formed up. Problem is, I'll have to find somewhere else to go on a winter Sunday afternoon. Great Eastern perhaps? Or Chiltern?

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification :)

Sunday afternoons, well you could always aim to have a major clear-out on the Underground? Get the 1972 stock cleared before they go? Sundays on Chiltern could be interesting, although I don't think their 172s run on Sundays. I recall you mentioning you were putting the LO 172s off until another day, you could always do those? Great Eastern Sundays, might be worth a go as there's all those 315s that'll be shifting at some point so could be worth trying to do before the 345s come in.

Of course, the 387s will be starting soon enough so there'll be those to deal with in a few more weeks. Maybe get cracking on your FGW 165s and 166s should there be any requirements over there? Let's not forget the writing's on the wall for the 313s, enjoy them while you can! Could always try for 317s and 321s (if they work on Sundays much) as well as the 365s too.

Not knowing what your requirements are in the London area it's difficult to judge, but there's always the chance 350/3s will be working within the Greater London area soon too, which I daresay will be on your hitlist! Whatever you end up choosing at the time, I'm sure you'll be busy for quite some time!

Crows flying around Clapham High Street? Whatever next! Good explanation but I'm sure incompetence is more likely.

I've got this weird image of crows hovering about Clapham waiting for required 378s in my head! :lol::lol::lol: Aye a lack of communication between the relevant groups would be a most likely explanation.

Oh, I think swapping Ed for Bus Stop Bash is a fair deal.

Oh I won't be surrendering the [Ed] humour ;) However I'm happy to share use of it of course!

Keith Jarrett

Sunday 9th November – A Remembrance Sunday goes East

Following on from the previous week’s success in tracking down some of my remaining 378s for the magic 10 miles, I thought that I’d give it another go and this time try to spend some more time on the East London Line getting those last few 378/1s in their four-car format. I was also thinking there might be a chance of a glimpse of the newly formed up five car 378135.

Sunday jaunts take the standard format of reporting to Wimbledon station in time for one of the Basingstoke- Waterloo semi fasts just in case I can nobble one of my last 450s for 10 miles. No such luck today as none of 450033/115/546 featured on my lists so all must already be over 10. But looking at the master record none of the trio were on a particularly high mileage. I digress. I should be more focussed on the task in hand – the 378s.

It’s normally handy checking out 378s at Clapham as there’ll be one going either way (via Willesden Junction and Surrey Quays) at the same time. Both were dud – was that an omen for the afternoon? After a moment’s worth of dithering I decided to make a move for Surrey Quays on 378138. At least I could then see what was moving on the East London Line and determine whether I was going to have a fruitful trip. As it happened I passed absolutely nothing of interest and wondered whether had I stayed at Clapham, if I’d still be sat there with nothing of interest to play with.

I was particularly interested in the remaining four 378/1s that I still needed for the magic 10 (137, 140, 146 & 149). Upon arrival at the Quays - still seems odd to refer to the station as Surrey Quays as almost thirty years ago when I resided in the neighbourhood, it was called Surrey Docks! I took up residence on my favourite bench to watch proceedings and I was not there for long when 378146 showed up heading to Dalston Junction. “Fudge cakes” was my initial reaction as a single trip with it to Dalston Junction would not heave it over 10 miles – I’d be a few chains short thus requiring a second trip. On the approach to Dalston Junction, I pass 378149 heading for New Cross then as we arrive at Dalston Junction, 378140 is noted heading for Clapham Junction., right behind 378149. Can I trap both of them without a massive wait?

I fester at Dalston Junction, waiting for 378146 to return to New Cross. In theory I need only a Bus Stop Bash to Haggerston to heave it over the 10 miles but I soon figure that it’s about a +5 at Surrey Quays for 378149 coming back from New Cross so back to the Quays we go, passing 378137 on the way. A quick consultation of Real Time Trains reveals that we have a move. 149 to Rotherhithe (only needed half a mile off of it), wait for 137 returning to Clapham Junction. That in turn would give me a +7 at Denmark Hill for 378140 heading north. And as I needed a decent run off of 140 to clear it for 10, I would have to head for Canonbury or Highbury & Islington. As it happened, all the moves worked out as planned and I found myself at Highbury & Islington with still some of the afternoon to spare. The four car 378/1s were clear for 10 miles. Job done!

Where next? Logic would dictate getting out on the North London Line. One problem with that piece of logic, the NLL was suspended east of Gospel Oak for planned works. As I did not fancy either an all shacks bus or going back south with 378140, that left one option, the tube. Ten minutes later I found myself at Blackhorse Road and walking over to the GOBLIN. I have no record of using Blackhorse Road since 1st February 1990 when I left on a pair of Class 104 DMMUs (50477 & 50540 for the record). First up was westbound 172008 which I duly boarded. Those 172s do make a change from the longitudinal benches on the 378s. An uneventful trip to Gospel Oak reminded me that I still two GOBLIN shacks to visit in the form of Harringay Green Lanes and South Tottenham. I really ought to make the effort sometime soon! At least, I still need all the Overground 172s for 10 miles so I have the option of combining shack visitations with mileage accumulation.

Arriving at Gospel Oak, today’s eastern terminus of the North London Line, I was pleased to see that electric trains were reversing in Platform 2 thus avoiding the long trek through the subway to the normal westbound platform. What did not please me was the sight of dud 378202 forming the next service out to Richmond. So enter Plan B. If I took 202 one stop to Hampstead Heath, I could score the shack there. I was also thinking that I could do with a visit to the “facilities” and I knew that there used to be a suitably placed set of facilities nearby at the Hampstead Heath bus terminus. But would it still be there after umpteen years? Of course it was there, much to my relief.

I did not have long to wait for Richmond-bound 378229 which would nicely tip over the 10 miles by the time I reached Willesden Junction. I knew 378232, also destined for Richmond, was next up and that was also needed to clear for 10. However, spliced in between was 378207 on a “Willy J” to Clapham short. 378232 never got my vote, low mileage 207 being the beneficiary instead, although a trip to Richmond would have cleared it for 10 but left me with a dodgy +1 for a train back to Clapham. A subsequent check of the records later showed that all journeys with 207 have been on the West London Line although when it was a three car unit, I ventured all the way the West Hampstead on the NLL with it!

Arriving back at Clapham, I had a reasonable wit for the next Basingstoke stopper so I opted for the Southern route home with a pair of 455s (823 & 835) for the Bus Stop Bash to Balham before throwing myself at the mercies of the Northern Line and bus to get me home.

It was a pleasant afternoon with the jigsaw pieces falling into place nicely on the ELL so that’s all the 378/1s cleared for 10 in four car format. Now to repeat the task with five car trains! And getting two of ten 378/2s still needed for 10 along with my last NLL shack was simply a big bonus. Hopefully a few more Sunday jaunts on the NLL should see those remaining 378/2s dealt with.

Here’s the obligatory record of my moves
450033} Wimbledon to Clapham Junction ---
450115}
450546}
378138 Clapham Junction to Surrey Quays ---
378146 Surrey Quays to Dalston Junction ---
378146 Dalston Junction to Surrey Quays Cleared for 10 miles
378149 Surrey Quays to Rotherhithe Cleared for 10 miles
378137 Rotherhithe to Denmark Hill Cleared for 10 miles
378140 Denmark Hill to Highbury & Islington Cleared for 10 miles
172008 Blackhorse Road to Gospel Oak ---
378202 Gospel Oak to Hampstead Heath (New Shack - Hampstead Heath)
378229 Hampstead Heath to Willesden Junction Cleared for 10 miles
378207 Willesden Junction to Clapham Junction Cleared for 10 miles
455823} Clapham Junction to Balham ---
455835}
Fair enough, thanks for the clarification :)

Sunday afternoons, well you could always aim to have a major clear-out on the Underground? Get the 1972 stock cleared before they go? Sundays on Chiltern could be interesting, although I don't think their 172s run on Sundays. I recall you mentioning you were putting the LO 172s off until another day, you could always do those? Great Eastern Sundays, might be worth a go as there's all those 315s that'll be shifting at some point so could be worth trying to do before the 345s come in.

Of course, the 387s will be starting soon enough so there'll be those to deal with in a few more weeks. Maybe get cracking on your FGW 165s and 166s should there be any requirements over there? Let's not forget the writing's on the wall for the 313s, enjoy them while you can! Could always try for 317s and 321s (if they work on Sundays much) as well as the 365s too.

Not knowing what your requirements are in the London area it's difficult to judge, but there's always the chance 350/3s will be working within the Greater London area soon too, which I daresay will be on your hitlist! Whatever you end up choosing at the time, I'm sure you'll be busy for quite some time!

I've got this weird image of crows hovering about Clapham waiting for required 378s in my head! :lol::lol::lol: Aye a lack of communication between the relevant groups would be a most likely explanation.

Tech, thanks for the suggestions. Most of my London needs are north of the Thames. The only sizeable volume of units required south of the Thames are a reasonable haul of 450s (about 25, all for mileage) and 375s (around 30, all just for mileage). You mention the 315s - I have vivid memories of travelling on them on the Southend Victoria trains on Sundays back in the mid 80s - in those dim and distant days my girlfriend [Ed: the very same lasy is now my wife of almost 30 years] lived/worked near Southend and I was resident in Bermondsey, only a bus ride away from Liverpool Street

I've got a free Sunday afternoon next week but most of the North London Line is being engineered so I'm thinking of either staying local and chancing my luck with the 450s or go and see what the Great Eastern is like on the Sabbath. If Greater Anglia is a load of muck, I could always defect to the Central Line and see if any of my winning sets are in traffic.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a good Sunday there! Should be another good one coming soon too by the looks of it, I'd get going on the 450s for a bit then maybe the Central line, worth a go :)

Keith Jarrett

Sounds like a good Sunday there! Should be another good one coming soon too by the looks of it, I'd get going on the 450s for a bit then maybe the Central line, worth a go :)

Given that the weather is forecast to be rubbish, tube stock may win the day. I've still got several 1992ts to get for "all time" and they need to be dealt with sometime.
Sunday 16th November – A very Desiroable Afternoon

I spent most of the week agonising where I might go today. Engineering work had totally decimated the service on my favourite hunting ground, the North London Line with only about six units in service shuttling between Richmond and Gospel Oak. The chances of dropping onto something required would be remote and as for the prospect of string together a decent series of moves, that was about as likely as me becoming an instant millionaire. I toyed with the idea of checking out the NLL just in case and if nothing showed up, head for the GOBLIN and get some 172s for mileage along with my last two shack on the GOBLIN. Or I could go to London Bridge and “play” with the 375s shuttling up and down to Orpington all afternoon – I want stacks of 375s for mileage and while festering between moves at London Bridge there might be a chance of a required 465 (three needed for mileage) or 466 (only two here).

So with a few ideas in my head, I went out for the usual train off Wimbledon expecting the usual string of duds. Even before the train rolled in, I had a hint that things might not be 100% conventional today as recently repainted 66703 rolled through on a string of engineers wagon (mainly low sided yellow JNAs but with a few flats on the back loaded with bulldozers). 66703 was on a Worting Junction to Eastleigh engineers via the world so Realtimetrains told me. It was only a few minutes before the familiar squealing of a Desiro could be heard and in came my train. Unlike previous outings where I had to agonise which dud unit I’d sit in, the choice was made for me when 450073/100/111 rolled in. 450111 was still needed for mileage although a quick flip to Clapham Junction would sort that one out for breaching the 10 mile barrier. As were we leaving, I caught sight of a Waterloo - Basingstoke with 450076 in the formation. “I WANT that” I almost muttered out loud. But more importantly, could I have a worthwhile afternoon and bag it later. Possibly?

At Clapham, I started to head over to the Windsor Lines but stopped half way over the footbridge. Aaargh! That’s a 455 coming down from Waterloo destined for the Windsor lines – with one exception (the recently rebuilt 5913) all SWT 455s are well over 200 miles and some more than double that. About turn! The latest idea was to get the next fast train to Waterloo, stroll over to Waterloo East and get friendly with Orpington. 450113/564 roll in and again there’s no decision where I should sit. 450564 was another mileage requirement and by going to Waterloo, I’d heave it over the magic 10 miles. I spent most of the 10 minute journey working out how many trips to Orpington were possible before I had to be back at Waterloo for my appointment with 450076. Definitely three; four if a dubious connection works.

Decisions as to where I was going this afternoon seemed however to be being made by others as we came into Waterloo, I caught sight of 450003, another “Dessie” on my list. What’s more, it was leaving in a few minutes but the downside was that the short hop to Clapham Junction would not sort the mileage out. A quick rummage through my season ticket wallet soon dropped my heart rate – I did have some unused South West Trains weekend passes about me. That’s one of the perks of holding an annual SWT issued season – they give you six all SWT weekend passes every year. Very useful for SWT bashing trips! Cleared to go to Woking with 450003 (and friend 450115).

An uneventful journey followed with the usual early arrival in Woking. Coming into Woking, I espied two 450s on “Woking Pier” – that’s the nickname for Platform 3 on account of it sticking out of the accepted confines of Woking station into the wilderness of the South West Mainline. 450096 – on the list. 450556, also on the list! What were these two guys up to as I wanted them both to clear for 10 (as well as 450556 as a 450/5)? Realtimetrains seemed to think that later on in the afternoon, they’d be doing Woking to Staines shuttles. Now could I get 450076 which would be coming up from Basingstoke later on this afternoon and the two occupants of Woking Pier?

The answer was yes but suitably qualified. No early bath for me tonight (on a local Sunday bash, I like to be home by 117:30 or thereabouts). Having over an hour to kill before 450076 reappeared; it was time for some fill in moves. 159007 & 159104 took me up to Clapham Junction for “Arkwrights” 444026 & 444027 back. In the end with more time to kill, I opted to go to Guildford with this pair which were on a diverted Waterloo to Weymouth and in the process tipped 444027 over 100 miles. My short sojourn in Guildford produced 444007 & 444021 for the short trot back to Woking. Good move on my part as 444007 was another new recruit to the 10 Mile Club. Upon my return to Woking, I noted that the first of the Woking – Staines shuttles had not run: over-running engineering work apparently. My plans to bag 450096 & 450556 were now in disarray. But there was more important business to be conducted in the shape of 450076 and its imminent departure towards London accompanied by 450103.

So with 450076 nicely in the book, I bailed at Wimbledon with the idea of viewing and possibly catching the next down Basingstoke/Alton semi-fast. Was my luck about to run out as this rolled in with a pair of dud 450s? Until I knew what was happening with the Woking – Staines shuttles, I was not going back to Woking unless it was with something on the list so back to Clapham with a 455 (5706) to cover another unknown Basingstoke semi-fast. Lady Luck has obviously been on her tea break while I was at Wimbledon as she was back at work by the time I got to Clapham Junction. 450079 and 450543 tottered in; the latter needed a couple of miles to throw it over the 10 mile threshold so back to Wimbledon for a quick dash over the footbridge for 450073/100 back up to Clapham.

The idea was to look at a Portsmouth fast that was formed of stock out of Clapham Yard. Required 450105 was lurking around Clapham Yard earlier but I could not see it know. Earlier in the afternoon, I’d witnessed some shuffling of the pack. Perhaps this involved 450105 as well? Meanwhile, it seemed that the Woking – Staines shuttles had woken up with the second one running, albeit late. That meant only one thing, “game on” for 450096 & 450556!I needed to get to Woking pretty fast for the next shuttle which by my reckoning should be 450556. What better way to go that with a 12-car “Dessie” with 450105 hanging on the rear (450105/120 were its companions). So 450105 had come out to play and I also managed to have a little play too! So, for those of you who’ve been keeping count that was number seven so far today for busting the 10 mile barrier (plus the added bonus of a new recruit for the 100 mile band). And still potentially more to come.

A quick dash down the South Western Mainline soon saw me back at Woking – casual readers might think that I live there! As I arrived at said Surrey town, I noted a crew wandering up to 450556 and although the platform indicator definitely said Staines, I still checked with the train crew that they were indeed headed for Staines. Thank goodness they were as I needed 450556 for 10 miles and would not clear it until Virginia Water (I’d only ever had 450056 once before – in the opening days of 2006 from Clapham to Vauxhall). In one fowl swoop, I cleared the unit for 10 miles, clocked my first time with it as a 450/5 and to complete the hat-trick, Virginia Water was a required shack. BINGO! While waiting for 450096 to show up, I was slightly cursing as a required for mileage 458 (8029 passed through Virginia Water. The return run around the other side of the Byfleet Curve with 450096, even though I cleared it for 10 miles in the process, seemed pretty mundane in comparison. It was getting well past home time now for a Sunday afternoon jolly so my plans were focussed on that. But it was now dilemma time. Do I bail at Byfleet & New Haw and suffer a 455 back to Wimbledon or go through to Woking and enjoy mainline stock most/all the way home?

Mainline stock definitely rules so I stay on to Woking where a mad dash off Woking Pier saw me land up on 450098 & 450125 which were next stop Clapham. That will do nicely! Neither of the units were required but I was now homeward bound. We made good time up the main line and I comfortably managed a 2/12 minute connection at Clapham Junction onto 5706 (again) back to Wimbledon. My arrival there seemed to coincide with the arrival of the stopping 455 up from Byfleet & New Haw so I gained/lost absolutely nothing time wise by going the long way around. I was definitely pleased to see that I had a bus due outside Wimbledon station in only two minutes as a long wait might have spoiled a rather good day out. I’d certainly not even remotely thought of bagging 8*450 and 1*444 for 10 miles plus the bonuses of a 444 for 100 miles and a new shack when I left home almost seven hours previously. And it’s going to be very difficult to repeat that as SWT needs are now 1*158 required outright, 4*444 and 20*450 for 10 miles. Oh, add in 1*458/5 needed outright and a few other 458s needed for mileage

Here’s a summary of the afternoon’s moves.
450073 } Wimbledon to Clapham Junction 450111 cleared for 10 miles
450100 }
450111 }
450113 } Clapham Junction to Waterloo 450113 cleared for 10 miles
450564 }
450003 } Waterloo to Woking 450003 cleared for 10 miles
450115 }
159007 } Woking to Clapham Junction ---
159104 }
444026 } Clapham Junction to Guildford 444027 cleared for 100 miles
444027 }
444007 } Guildford to Woking 444007 cleared for 10 miles
444021 }
450076 } Woking to Wimbledon 450076 cleared for 10 miles
450103 }
5706 Wimbledon to Clapham Junction ---
450079 } Clapham Junction to Wimbledon 450543 cleared for 10 miles
450543 }
450073 } Wimbledon to Clapham Junction ---
450100 }
450105 } Clapham Junction to Woking 450105 cleared for 10 miles
450120 }
450547 }
450556 Woking to Virginia Water Required as 450/5 & cleared for 10 miles
450096 Virginia Water to Woking Cleared for 10 miles, Virginia water = required shack
450098 } Woking to Clapham Junction ---
450125 }
5706 Clapham Junction to Wimbledon ---

Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Which SWT 158 are you after?

Sounds you had a good day in SWT land, so true about Woking Pier
158885. But I'm after loads of others as well. Plenty of Scottish ones, a few Northern, two Arriva Wales and a Great Western one. So I'm not in any hurry to bag 885 but that might be different if it was my last one!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
158885 is one of my required units as well, and unlike 882 I haven't seen it lately on the Romsey rocket. I think the 158s are the units with most TOCs

Status
Not open for further replies.