• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keith goes wandering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Mmm 37 & 68 thrash :)

Sounded like a good day in Norwich, shame that 170 didn't pop up (might have been on a Cambridge - Norwich service)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddy1878

Established Member
Great read! When are the 68s due to finish? I thought it was pretty soon. Would love another go at them in Anglia!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent read Keith. Not much more to say really :)

Keith Jarrett

All hail the mighty Keith Jarrett and a welcome return to the forum! Hope all is well :)

Another excellent read as always. Getting away from London must have been more than welcome after a very quiet Q1. A shame your last GA DMU didn't produce but at least you got a few bits and bobs dealt with. The 37 thrash will have been more than enjoyable, without a doubt, it's been a long time since October when I last enjoyed some myself. That needs correcting soon!

All is well in this part of the asylum - a certain business interest is now consuming much of my spare time especially as we are working towards building and launching a new website. However, the red pen continues to see action with it having to acknowledge the journeying upon 700s and retractioned 455s/465s.

Anglia, apart from shacks, is becoming very much barren territory for me. Most of my requirements are in fact track rather than things to ride on - the Anglia list is

90006 - mileage
156402 - mileage
156409 - mileage
170206 - requirement
170271 - mileage
(plus any 68s and/or 37s that might pop up on the short sets)

Track -
Lowestoft -Wickham Market
Cambridge - Kennett
and sort of Anglia territory
Stansted Airport
Hitchin flyover
Marks Tey - Sudbury

Some of the track is simply a case of not having documented it so I have to do it again and document it properly

Mmm 37 & 68 thrash :)

Sounded like a good day in Norwich, shame that 170 didn't pop up (might have been on a Cambridge - Norwich service)

Between us, Rex and I saw all three of the Norwich-Cambridge circuit and these were the consecutively numbered 170201, 170202 & 170203. Rex also saw 170205 while at Ipswich but strange that there were four three-cars missing. I know that 204 is being straightened out and another (207?) is in for refurbishment but strange that two were unaccounted for. Rex and I reckoned that between us we saw all of the GA DMU turns bar the Sudbury branch which was either 156402 or 156409 (by a process of elimination)

Great read! When are the 68s due to finish? I thought it was pretty soon. Would love another go at them in Anglia!

Everyone says that it's pretty soon but I'd imagine that it'll ultimately be dependant upon 170204 coming home from the panel beaters.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad to hear all is good in south-west London, sounds like it's exciting times ahead for the business :)

Sounds very much like you need to get back to Anglia and clear out those track requirements!

AJM580

Excellent read as always, you got 68003 just in time as it's now been swapped for 68018. Haven't seen 170206 lately, but it may be on the naughty step still after it failed on me in February!

Keith Jarrett

Thursday 6th April – Mixing Business and Pleasure

Occasionally, I have to go out of London for meetings. These are usually in Cardiff or Edinburgh but I have been known to have to go to York, Leeds and Belfast on occasions. But today, I had a meeting in Birmingham to attend. I knew that it would only last a few hours so combined with half a day’s leave, once business was over, I was pretty much free to do what I wanted.

It fell to 1995ts 51581+51582 to convey me north from Morden where I effected the usual switch to the Victoria line. Rather than fester for a mileage requirement, I decided on a new tactic – one-stopping to crank up the number of vehicles ridden in. But of course, should a mileage requirement appear, then I’d stick with it. 11041+11042, 11027+11028, 11031+11032, 11079+11080 and 11037+11038 got me to Oxford Circus before 11071+11072 appeared and with the odd numbered half set still not over the 10 mile barrier, Warren Street was skipped.

Arriving at Euston with about 10 minutes to spare, I acquired some reading matter for the journey north and expecting a dud Pendolino, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Virgin trains had provided a winner – a warm welcome was extended to 390138 and its first entry in The Haulage Book. I spent most of the journey reading my magazine and all too soon, Coventry was upon us where I alighted. Still needing a few (like most) of the intermediate shacks between Coventry and Birmingham, I had enough time to knock out one so I leapt aboard 350369 to Marston Green for what should have been a 20 minute wait. That turned into a 30 minute wait due to a trespasser on the line between Tile Hill and Canley. 350240 appeared to convey me into New Street and I went on to my meeting.

The meeting lasted a lot less than the planned time; mainly because the talkative member of the group sent their apologies so we were done in almost record time. I was now a free man and I had one target in my sights. The fact that I was not returning to New Street but the more grandiosely named Grand Central might give you a clue! Yes much of the remainder of the day was going to be spent attacking the Midland Metro [Ed; Hmm, Midland Metro? That sounds like a regional version of a well-known freebie newspaper that can be found decorating many of the capitals post rush hour trains.]. I wasn’t into light rail when the original T68 trams were around and in any event, from what I read, I’d have been lucky to get some of them anyway as at least two spent much of their careers acting as Christmas trees. I wanted to clear all the track, and shacks as well, and try to bag as many of the units in service as possible. So, how did I do?

Starting with the lowest numbered tram in traffic, 17, I headed from Grand Central up through the busy streets of Birmingham to Jewellery Quarter and before starting the drop back a bit, leap forward, drop back, leap forward type moves to minimise waiting time. Here’s what I did –
34 Jewellery Quarter - St Chads
22 St Chads - Hansdworth Booth Street
29 Hansdworth Booth Street – Winson Green
32 Winson Green - Kenrick Park
25 Kenrick Park - Hawthorns
34 Hawthorns – Lodge Road
37 Lodge Road - West Bromwich Central
19 West Bromwich Central – Dudley Street
31 Dudley Street – Dartmouth Street
21 Dartmouth Street – Trinity Way
30 Trinity Way - Wednesbury
32 Wednesbury – Black Lane
28 Black Lane - Loxdale
30 Loxdale – Bradley Lane
37 Bradley Lane – The Royal (My attempt to double back failed here, the only time)
31 The Royal - Wolverhampton St Georges
31 Wolverhampton St Georges – Bilston Central
17 Bilston Central – The Crescent
22 The Crescent - Priestfield
17 Priestfield – Wednesbury Parkway
22 Wednesbury Parkway – St Pauls
31 St Pauls - Soho Benson Street
32 Soho Benson Street – Corporation Street
17 Corporation Street – Bull Street
34 Bull Street – Grand Central
Having cleared the track, scratched all the shacks and bagged all the off-peak trams in less time that I thought, I now had to think what to do as it was another hour or two before the rush-hour extras came out to play. I was aided in some respects by some late running and a couple of kind drivers when doubling back (the leap off of 31 onto 17 at Bilston Central comes to mind) as that must have saved me a fair amount of time.

Migrating over to New Street, I fell into a required voyager straightaway so I leapt aboard 220025 for the totter up to Wolverhampton. Almost immediately, I was on the move with 323221 back to the required shack of Coseley for a comfortable +4 onto 350258 back to Wolverhampton. With nothing required heading back to Birmingham, I rejoined 350258 for a visit to my last Stour Valley shack. RTT helpfully told me that I should make the cross over at Dudley Port – it’s usually a -5/-6. If not I’d simply have to fester for half an hour or get the bus over to the Metro at Dudley Street. As 350258 pulled in a shade early, I could see the doors of 323205 opening. A quick dash over the island platform and I was headed back to Wolverhampton having stayed at Dudley Port for all of 10 seconds. There was now an urgency to get back to Birmingham to cover the peak hour extras on the Metro so 221132 was had back to New Street. I quickly exited and noted nothing different on the first couple of Metro workings so mounted a supply raid on Tesco’s while I had a few minutes to spare. I returned to Grand Central to see 20 arriving. It would be only a few minutes before I’d have winning tram no 13 in the book. I opted to head to Jewellery Quarter as I could keep an eye on the National Rail network as well as any other tram requirements. Nothing new passed me during the journey but around five minutes later, 27 appeared so it was a simple move with winning tram no. 14 back to Grand Central. That left one tram to get (if my calculations were correct) so I repeated my move to Jewellery Quarter to catch said working on the inbound. This time it was dud no 29 out from Grand Central and around a 15 minute wait before 26 appeared to take me back to Grand Central.

I skulked around New Street looking for any last minute winners but could not find anything of interest so I hit on the idea of trying to bag another shack. As I still needed several shacks between New Street and Coventry, I boarded 350371 to head out towards Coventry with the objective of finding a required shack. Just before departure time, the conductor came over the PA and advised that departure would be slightly delayed as there was a trespass incident at Tile Hill and the job was stopped. [Ed: Surely not the same trespasser as this morning?] Eventual departure was over 20 late and it was a right royal stagger to Coventry where I bailed, having given up all hope of a shack scratch, for my train home which was not far behind. Or so I thought as there were three more services to come though before my booked train. Around 15 late, 390043 showed up and I clambered aboard for the totter back to Euston.

At Euston it fell to 11045+11046 to take me to Stockwell where one of the reformed 1995ts 51531+51556 was on hand to complete the rail journey to Morden. Thanks to London Underground’s efficiency, I made it home in around 45 minutes which is pretty close to the theoretical minimum from train to front door. I looked back on the day and concluded that on balance it was a good one with 17 strokes of my red pen, three national rail shacks under the belt and Midland Metro shacks completely cleared out. I think the Pendolino hit was the real bonus so that leaves just two 11-cars to get. Hopefully, it will not be long before they fall. And to knock a large hole in the Midland Metro means that I can probably leave that alone for a while now.

POSTSCRIPT
I’ve nothing planned for a about a month and that destination has yet to be decided although I’m sure that London will continue to churn out the winners. But before that, there’s another work-related trip which shouldn’t be of much interest but in this game, never say “never”!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was certainly a good visit to Birmingham! Nice work on clearing all the shacks and almost all of the trams too. Even better was scoring a required 390 on the way north, some good fortune there.

All these bashers needing shacks between Birmingham and Coventry, ah it takes me back to the days of Silverlink when I started them and to the early days of 350/2s when I finished them. I can't help but wonder how awesome an LM Only journey to London would be these days if it was still 321s!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a great day out to Brum! I don't need any shacks between Brum and Cov... ;)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a productive day on the Midland Metro Mr Keith :)

Shame the trespasser put a hold to your shack scoring :(

noddy1878

Established Member
That was a super productive time on the Metro in Brum! Especially when you only had a half day! Well done!

Keith Jarrett

That was certainly a good visit to Birmingham! Nice work on clearing all the shacks and almost all of the trams too. Even better was scoring a required 390 on the way north, some good fortune there.

All these bashers needing shacks between Birmingham and Coventry, ah it takes me back to the days of Silverlink when I started them and to the early days of 350/2s when I finished them. I can't help but wonder how awesome an LM Only journey to London would be these days if it was still 321s!

I've got a few of the intermediate shacks but not ultra high on my priority list at present

Sounds like a great day out to Brum! I don't need any shacks between Brum and Cov... ;)

Lucky you!

That was a super productive time on the Metro in Brum! Especially when you only had a half day! Well done!

I shall echo the comments of my fellow bashers, a very productive half day by all accounts, Mr. Jarrett.

Ended up being slightly more than half a day as the meeting finished somewhat earlier than planned which enabled me to do all the metro and sort out the remaining Stour Valley shacks.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Your visit to Dudley Port reminded me of the day I visited it, way back in the mid-2000s. Probably 2005 to be honest, I did a LOT that year. I visited it by way of a former Anglian 150/2, and it seems like such a long time ago!

Safe to say that I've got a lot of fond memories conjured up again!

Keith Jarrett

We're Back! - Saturday May 27th

“We’re Back!” Well that was the slogan emblazoned upon the side of the first Pendolino that I espied at Euston. I was struggling for a title for this trip – actually several one day trips to be precise given that I had plans to go here, there and everywhere. And more importantly, there had been a nigh on eight-week hiatus in my bashing due to the book business taking up an extraordinary amount of my spare time. My only interaction with rail travel had been the daily commute and the odd bit of travel for family/social reasons.

So, with a long weekend looming, I decided to take a weekend away from things. Mrs KJ after all had gone away with some friends for a girly break so it was an ideal opportunity to get friendly with pleasure travel. I could go chasing winners to add to May’s meagre total (only a few retractioned 455s up until today – at least I am keeping on top of those!) but my track and shack requirements seemed rather static so plans were hatched to reduce those. As winners are getting harder to come by, as are items needed for the dreaded 10 miles, track was the main thing in my sights.

Mrs KJ had an abhorrently early departure for her excursion (let’s say she was out of the house even before my alarm went off and I was due away at 05:45) so the coast was clear. I made my way to Morden tube where 51668+51669 were on hand to whisk me north to Stockwell. Here the usual cross-platform interchange to the Victoria line was effected where 11065+11066 were rolling in. Ah, the first bit of unplanned success! 11065 would join that most elite of organisations before I reached Euston – The Ten Mile Club!

A visit to Euston’s ticket office allowed the purchase of the remaining tickets for the long weekend (some had already been sourced on line) before I sought out my train – taking note of the Pendowobbles around Euston, it was 390040 in its promo livery for Virgin Radio that caught my eye with the “We’re Back!” slogan. But it was not to be my chariot for my journey northwards – that fell to 390134 for an uneventful ride to Stafford where I and the 390 parted company. First sight was a rather oversized kettle hauling some excursion to Blaenau Festiniog – I required the kettle (5049 Earl of Mount Edgecombe) and was sorely tempted to see if a part fare to Crewe would be entertained but thought better of it. After what only seemed to be a few minutes, 220012 showed up heading for Manchester. That’ll do nicely I thought. It was under 10 miles (either a Piccadilly-Stockport leap or a similar short distance run from Temple Meads to Parkway) and also I would score my first bit of track of the day, namely the new alignment/flyover in the Norton Bridge area. One piece of track down, I left the 220 at Stoke-on-Trent where I contemplated my next move. Northern’s 323233 was sitting in the bay platform and its departure was not far off. But there was plenty of time first for 390040 to announce “We’re Back” again as if to reinforce the point!

Once 390040 had cleared the station, the 323 left for Manchester. I bailed at Kidsgrove for the first shack score of the day. This was not my first visit here as several years ago myself and the family were on a canal boat and passed directly under the station. I rejected a London Midland 350 as my way of getting out in favour of the following East Midlands service with 153376 complete with the name X24-EXPEDITIOUS [Ed: Can someone explain what this name is all about?] I did not stay on the Tin Rocket for long as I had another required shack to rein in. Thus, I bailed just down the road at Longport, home of the EMD repair works which seemed to be home to two Class 66s that had seen better days; 66048 in its goth black and 66733 making no attempt to hide its GBRf parentage. I had about 10 minutes at Longport which, judging by the layout, once hosted a level crossing. Low mileage 153311 appeared absolutely full to the gunwhales with the usual load supplemented by a hen party bound for Liverpool and about 20-30 men on a stag do to Chester Races. One wonders whether it was the same wedding party. I managed to squeeze on (London commuting helps to identify the most minute of spaces) and stood all the way to Crewe.

For my next move I had just over an hour to get to Stafford so had a choice of two London Midland Services. The first one threw up a dud 350 so I chanced on the second and for once the Railway Gods were on my side as they provided a winning 350253 for the run down to Stafford. Now for the big event of the day, more required track and a PSUL move at that. But would it work? A dud 350374 duly turned in a few minutes early and taking heed of the advice offered in that most hallowed of track basher publications, Passenger Services over Unusual Lines (aka PSUL), I checked the signals and “Yes, My Lords” we had a green aspect with no feathers so the new alignment of the down slow was on – the second bit of track to be scratched in a morning. On the approaches to Crewe, I saw two out of three required Virgin Voyagers but as I had other plans, I simply noted their futile attempts to wind me up. The 350 terminated at Crewe and the reason for the slow line move from Stafford soon became apparent – there was a Voyager pathed up the fast lines and the 350 avoided a conflicting move.

I and what seemed to be half of the North West were waiting for the next train down (or is it up) the North and West route. 175010 soon appeared and luckily the doors opened right next to me so once a few folk had alighted, I was in pole position to board with somewhat of a surge behind me. I managed to secure one of the few vacant seats and sat back for the run southwards. The first bailing point was Church Stretton where I had shack score number three. Having about 25 minutes to spare before the next train, I went for a walk and was surprised how pleasant the town seemed to be.

175114 showed up and in contrast to its two-car cousin immediately in front, was rather lightly loaded. I was pleased to see 114 as it was sub ten miles and the run down to Ludlow would solve that little predicament. What’s more, from Craven Arms, I was on new track only having done the Central Wales line before. I split the journey at Ludlow as there was another service around 20 minutes behind – I spent the time patronising the nearby supermarket (there’s both an Aldi and Tesco to choose from) to top up the supply bag. 175008 appeared a couple of minutes behind to take me south to Hereford, a town that I had not visited since the early 80s when I was 50 bashing when the 15:00 ex Paddington and 18:45 return was a almost rock solid 50 turn.

I had a tight connection on to a London Midland service but even though we arrived in sufficient time to catch it, I discovered that it was caped due to a trespass incident. That’s the second time in recent months that I have tried to get a London Midland Service and there has been large scale disruption due to trespassers! Thankfully, half an hour behind there was a Great Western service formed with power cars 43098+43141 so it was on to the required shack of Colwall. At least the next LM service was running so after half an hour’s fester, I was pleased to see 170632 show up for the trip to Malvern Link and thus clearing the shacks between Worcester and Hereford. 166210 was my conveyance out of Malvern Link to my next required shack.

Passing through Worcester, I noted a newly repainted 153 in GWR green as well as 150120 – I was tempted to bail for 150120 and knock out Ashchurch but with known signalling problems in that neck of the woods, I gave it a miss and instead opted to stay with the 166 through to another winning shack, Pershore. I discovered quite quickly that there was very little here and that the town was over a mile away so thankfully the wait was not too long. 180103 appeared to take me back to Worcester Foregate Street where I made use of the adjacent supermarket for a quick supply raid.

166202 was the next entry into The Haulage Book and this would be my conveyance to Moreton in Marsh. There was no time for a walk around this tourist hot spot as my next train was imminent. Great Western had usefully rostered a HST rather than something smaller for what would have been a peak-time train out of Paddington. I was not disappointed with 43176+43185 for the run to Honeybourne and the final shack scratch of the day. Once the few alighting passengers had made their way to waiting cars, the place was completely deserted and that’s the way it remained until my train out of the place materialised. I was the sole person on the station when 180103 rolled in for the run back to civilisation. At Oxford, the lightly loaded train was invaded by what seemed to be half of the Japanese tourists in the UK with hardly a seat to spare. After 20-25 minutes of Jap-babble, I decided that was enough and bailed at Reading for an HST that was a matter of minutes behind. For the record, it was 43063+43153 that conveyed me into Paddington.

Then it was a matter of making my way home. 3252+3442 to Oxford Circus for a level interchange with the Victoria Line and 11047+11048. The final rail journey of the day fell to 51685+51686 for the run south to Morden. This gave me the chance to reflect on the day’s events. The track scratching objective had been achieved with three entries eliminated from the wants list, eight new shacks in the book and a winning 350. And not forgetting the few items cleared for 10 miles. No complaints from me on my first bash of any note since early April!

alexf380

Established Member
Back with a bang, Keith. Just what I like to see! I really enjoyed that read, and I'm glad that things are still ticking over steadily in your part of the world.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welcome back Keith, my gosh it's been weird without you on here!

Only a little jealous that you've got the new Down Slow configuration at Norton Bridge as I need that. Yes, still! It will be mine one day...

Certainly a nice little spin through my stomping grounds, very productive. If I had known you were in the area I'd have laid out the red carpet! Oh, and 166210? I'm 99% certain that's one of my last few 166s to get, so again I'm just a bit jealous.

Oh, look, all of a sudden I have Moves Envy! Good thing my little spin to London is only a few days away!

Established Member
Welcome back, you've been missed.
An excellent report there.

X24-EXPEDITIOUS was a WW2 midget submarine, taking part in a couple of attacks on Nazi occupied Norway.

It was built near Gainsborough and is on display at the Royal Navy Submarine Museum in Gosport.

Keith Jarrett

We're back! Day 2 - 28th May 2017

Being a Sunday, this was planned to be somewhat shorter than day 1. I had things to do at home in the morning plus I was not in for a silly o’clock get up after the strains of the previous day! Leaving home at a very sociable hour, I had one target for the day – one piece of new track. The journey up from Morden yielded 51637+51721 to Stockwell, 11059+11060 onwards to Oxford Circus before joining 3237+3437 to Paddington. That was odd - I simply cannot remember the last time that the 32xx set and the 34xx set of 1972ts matched.

There were three HSTs out in quick succession. I declined the first two and opted for 43137+43197 out to Reading -the added bonus was that 43197 was low mileage (for HSTs that under 100 miles) and even after this little caper still was on the low side. Today was a two-track railway out to Reading with much evidence of electrification work on the slow lines so progress was slightly slower than usual.

A Bedwyn service was not far behind with 165113 which was taken to Thatcham for the first, and as it turned out, only shack score of the day. 165113 is one of many members of the class that have not featured in The Haulage Book for many a year. Welcome Back! A few minutes later and newly repainted (into GWR green) 165109 appeared for the run back to Reading. As the train left Reading West, I made a careful note of the route and, yes, we went along the booked route, namely the Feeder Line which for the uninitiated goes from Reading West through the site of the old diesel depot, under the flyover and into Reading station. Required track!

What next after the 165? Low mileage 43069+43172 rolled in with the former required for Paddington so the move into London was a no-brainer. The run up to town was not particularly fast due to the aforementioned electrification works at several different sites giving rise to a two-track railway. My stay at Paddington was short-lived as 43145+43174 were soon to depart and with the former being low-mileage, it would simply have been rude to refuse a run out to Reading. What's more 43145 tipped 100 miles on the approaches to Reading.

On arrival at Reading I espied a winning Voyager in the bay platform so first job was to see where it was going and how long I would have to wait. Ah, 15 minutes and it was head northwards so I duly boarded 220021 and made myself comfortable for the run up to Oxford with more than a passing thought for a certain forum member and their traction likes/dislikes. Little did I realise, but I was to score a second piece of track as the exit from Reading was up onto the flyover before swinging left and dropping down to go under the flyover and join the slow lines. We were going slowly and this was definitely a new alignment so in my book that’s new track!

The run up to Oxford was uneventful and my stay in the City of the Dreaming Spires was to be short-lived as low-mileage 220005 soon appeared heading back to Reading. Setting up camp on the bench at the country end of platform 11, I had a fair wait before I clapped eyes on anything else of interest but 43028+43151 caught my eyes with 43028 being the attraction as it was low mileage (for a HST power car). At least it would be on the right side of 100 miles by the time I reached the home of bears with marmalade sandwiches hidden under their hats. Another uneventful run was had up to Paddington – wretched two-track railway! Time was pressing on and I still had a few things that I wanted to do at home so I set sail for home. 1972ts 3231+3466 took me to Oxford Circus, 11061+11062 onwards to Stockwell before 51602+51716 had the honours of getting me south to Morden. While not the most active day, I still achieved the main objective of getting the Reading Feeder Line in the book and had the bonus of a winning Voyager and a second piece of new track to add into the day’s tally as well as cranking up the mileage on some GWR HST’s. What will Day 3 hold?

Keith Jarrett

Welcome back Keith, my gosh it's been weird without you on here!

Only a little jealous that you've got the new Down Slow configuration at Norton Bridge as I need that. Yes, still! It will be mine one day...

Certainly a nice little spin through my stomping grounds, very productive. If I had known you were in the area I'd have laid out the red carpet! Oh, and 166210? I'm 99% certain that's one of my last few 166s to get, so again I'm just a bit jealous.

Oh, look, all of a sudden I have Moves Envy! Good thing my little spin to London is only a few days away!

Welcome back, you've been missed.
An excellent report there.

X24-EXPEDITIOUS was a WW2 midget submarine, taking part in a couple of attacks on Nazi occupied Norway.

It was built near Gainsborough and is on display at the Royal Navy Submarine Museum in Gosport.

Back with a bang, Keith. Just what I like to see! I really enjoyed that read, and I'm glad that things are still ticking over steadily in your part of the world.

Sounded like a very varied day :)

Welcome back Mr Keith

Thanks to all for the accolades. Despite being involved in other stuff now, I feel very much at home whenever I return to the bashing scene. The North and West route sitting on my list of required track was certainly one of the biggest embarrassments on my lists so it was good to get it out of the way at long last.

Tech, sorry that I did not give you warning of my impending visit to Hereford - I did not think it worth you going to all that trouble and rushing up the road for what was planned to be a seven minute stay!

Mr 13 - Ah, the background info on that silly name carried by 153376 was appreciated. Now to get a photo of the thing at Gainsborough ..... (well, it ain't going to Gosport anytime soon unless they re-lay the branch from Fareham).

Mr Kite - you put me to shame in getting up your trip reports.

Mr AlexF - Glad you enjoyed the read.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Congrats on scoring the "Festival" Chord at Reading with that XC service :)

Sounded like a good day, all be it slow with the 2 track section

noddy1878

Established Member
Great reads Keith. I haven't a clue which bits of track I've done around the west of Reading anymore!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A highly varied first day there with lots of winner track and shacks!

I'm honoured to be mentioned in your second day too ;). You did get a lot of units/locos ending in '37' at the start of the day - 51637, 3237, 3437 and 43137! Odd coincidence!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Need both those bits of track in Reading, so one is most jealous. They will be conquered one day, of that I am sure, but it won't be for ages. We came surprisingly close to each other on that day!

It occurs to me your visit to Hereford would have been when I was getting my graft on, a shade over a mile away, so even if I'd been aware of your visit I'd have been busy anyway.

If you thought it was slow on the Reading to Paddington section, you would have been fuming at how slow my run was between Bath Spa and London. Not even the pretty lass opposite me could distract me from the slowness!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Sounds like a good day on my patch, on my favourite traction!

All the turbos and track are dud for me ;)

Re the slow HST, I know the feeling having been on a HST from Slough to Paddington which crawled along all the way from Hayes to Paddington.

Keith Jarrett

We're Back Day 3 29th May 2017

I’d originally planned a relatively early start for this Bank Holiday Monday but sleep got the better of me and I awoke just after my planned departure time. Today was going to be given over to shack scratching in the main but should a winner just wander by on the off chance then plans would go out of the window unless… that interfered with the planned PSUL move at the end of the day. It was my usual route to Paddington from Morden entailing 51563+51564 to Stockwell, 11041+11042 onwards to Oxford Circus followed by 3234+3457 on to Paddington. Today was generally to be a day of shack scratching in the Thames Valley mainly because of the PSUL move at the end of the day (more on that later). And I want a surprising number of shacks in the Thames Valley so today seemed like a good opportunity to give them a good battering.

I was on the move within a few minutes of arriving at Paddington with 43131+43146, the latter effectively a winner for me as all my runs with it were in pre-MTU days. This service was bound for Hereford and the first call was at Slough which suited me fine as I really wanted to be on the slow lines. I ignored the required shacks between Paddington and Slough as they can always be had on little forays when I am chasing new 387s. I did not have long to wait at Slough before 165107 showed up to take me to winning shack number one – Taplow. Not much of note here and I was soon on my way out with 166201 to winner shack number two, Burnham. The island platform here would certainly help with any tight connections but I had a few minutes to spare before 166218 whisked me away to Maidenhead. While I had done the branch to Marlow many years back, I had not roped in all of the intermediate shacks. 165136 was to be my chariot along the branch line today and I bailed at Bourne End for shack scratch number three. While the unit went to Marlow, I went for a short walk around the pleasant village and returned to the station with a few minutes to spare before boarding 165136 again. On the way back, I gave Cookham a miss as it was not required, having scratched it many years ago when visiting a nearby model shop. Instead, I alighted at Furze Platt for shack scratch number 4 and thus completing the branch. Google maps informed me that it was a 24-minute walk back to Maidenhead which suited me fine as I had a train in 28!

165117 appeared on time to take me one stop down the line to Twyford where I crossed the footbridge and boarded 165131 for a trundle along the Henley branch, alighting at Shiplake. The locals seemed very fond of their station as it was immaculate and even had a rowing boat (named Shiplake) planted up with pansies on the platform. Obviously no destructive yoof in these parts of town! There were also some other floral displays in tubs all with the name Shiplake on them in case you wondered where you were! 165131 soon reappeared to take me back to Twyford, skipping Wargrave in the process so I will have to return another day to get that one in.

Returning to the main line, I did not have long to wait for 165107 to take me further down the line to Goring and Streatley which had the honour of shack scratch number six this afternoon (it was well past 12:00 by now). It was not long before 165108 trundled into view to take me to Pangbourne bringing the number of shack hits up to seven. It was then that things started to fall apart as I noted that a train was showing as cancelled. No, not the next one out of Pangbourne but the one afterwards which could have seen me stranded at Culham for two hours and potentially jeopardising the PSUL move planned for later. A quick rethink saw me bail at Goring and Streatley (again) and return towards Reading.

Time to start sorting out those intermediate shacks on the Basingstoke line I thought. But I was distracted by 220031 – I simply could not let a winner go so I bailed on for a leap to Basingstoke which suited me fine as that allowed me to start the shack attack from that end. Boarding 165120 at Basingstoke, I tried and made a risky +0 at Mortimer which turned in to about a +2 onto 165134 back to Bramley for a 15 minute or so fester while 134 pottered down to Basingstoke and back. Boarding 165134 back to Reading, I figured that I had about 50 minutes before the PSUL move so not really time to do a lot. I had to get some basic supplies so I sought out a supermarket in the town centre and accidentally stumbled upon the ‘Spoons. Given that bashing is thirsty work, I could not resist a swift half to scratch the ‘Spoons! And I got my supplies in as well.

Returning to the station, I heard my train being announced so was eager to make my way to it even though departure was over 10 minutes off. I boarded another Voyager, 220010 this time, on the one-a-day service to Guildford. This is a PSUL move as it leaves from the high-numbered platforms at Reading and uses the “rabbit hole” to burrow under the main line on to the DC lines. Yes a totally different alignment to that on the surface so again counts as new track for me.

After a grand stagger for about 90% of the journey to Guildford, I failed to pull off a +3 onto a Woking bound train – a combination of too many weekenders dawdling through the subway and SWT dispatch staff seeing the train away well before the clock had registered the appointed hour for departure. At least it was only 15 minutes to wait before 450073+450074 showed up to take me to Woking where this time a +3 worked perfectly. Woking 1, Guildford 0. I was rewarded (if you can be rewarded that is) with 450076+450082 for a run up to Surbiton where I had a short wait for 5726 for the short leap up to Wimbledon – 5726 contains the coach 77777. Lucky or what? I’ll pass on that one as I had previously logged that coach only a few weeks previously. Anyway, it was the bus home as I was all wrong for the Thameslink up the bank.

So what of the day? A re-engined HST power car and a Vomit Comet attracted the attention of my red pen while several new shacks were scored and that all important PSUL move out of Reading completing all the various oddball alignments for the commuter capital of Berkshire. I was in no mood for complaining; in fact, I was pretty pleased with the day. From my perspective, the only downside being that failed +3 at Guildford.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like an excellent day there apart from the connection at Guildford and the change of plan (although that worked out in the end).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm surprised you didn't go and scratch the Spoons in Guildford while you were there to be honest, I would have and indeed did so on 'Tech's Turbo Power' many months ago.

Nice work on scoring that diveunder, you'll be unsurprised that I need it. One day...Scoring a winning Voyager whilst on sort-of Mandatory Moves must have been nice too.

I'd have only scored 165131 out of that lot if I'd done your moves, although I only need a small number of GWR Turbos now. I do find it interesting that you still need shacks on the GWML out of Paddington, all of which have been dud for a few years here now. I even managed to do them after a heavy night out with some of my norm mates, a lesson I'm sure alexf380 could learn from ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.