• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keith goes wandering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cheeky!

A good session there Keith, and I'm sure I'd have scored everything except a couple of the Voyagers! Looking forward to the next one.

Sorry I had to mention it :lol:

Somehow I've just remembered what I originally intended to do tonight, start the epic job of re-reading my entire trip report thread...

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a productive day on my semi-local line :)

I gather you don't need the connection from the DC lines at reading to be the main lines (Reading New Junction - Reading Spur Junction (Reading Spur line) )?

Keith Jarrett

I gather you don't need the connection from the DC lines at reading to be the main lines (Reading New Junction - Reading Spur Junction (Reading Spur line) )?

That bit's rather dud. Done it with 43006+43167 on the Portsmouth-Blackpool back in 1999, 47750 and 47847 on the same working in 2001 as well as with other stuff from yonks back that I cannot remember.

Kite159

Veteran Member
That bit's rather dud. Done it with 43006+43167 on the Portsmouth-Blackpool back in 1999, 47750 and 47847 on the same working in 2001 as well as with other stuff from yonks back that I cannot remember.

Back in the mists of time when Portsmouth had long distance services departing from it

Keith Jarrett

We’re Back, Day 4 - 30th May 2017

All too soon, the last of four days of bashing is upon me. Getting up at roughly normal work time, I leave home bound for Morden Station. Even though it’s a working day, everywhere seems extremely quiet for a Tuesday. Boarding 51663+51664 at Morden, even the tube is not its normal bustling self so presumably everyone has stayed at home and taken another day off. I effect the usual cross-platform interchange at Stockwell onto 11023+11024 and partake of another step-less interchange at Oxford Circus onto 3251+3433 to head to Marylebone. There’s no prizes for guessing what the next move is going to be, given that my watch is saying 08:12.

Yes, I am headed for the mainline station and a certain service popular with enthusiasts on account of the motive power. I watch an endless procession of 165s arrive and depart, not even bothering to check whether there were any matches with my lists as the last thing that I want to catch is a dose Turbo-envy. Soon a DVT appears with a rake of Mark 3 coaches and a silver Cat providing the traction. The train disgorges its load of commuters and soon it is announced as forming the next northbound service towards Birmingham. I check the loco and its 68014 and while I’ve seen names quoted for all the Chiltern Cats in various trip reports, I can see no evidence of a name on the side of the locos. Perhaps it’s only on one side of the loco. Anyhow, 68014 is dud for me but that was to be expected – my track record in knocking out Chiltern Cats is absolutely dreadful. Another, equally dud cat arrives moments before we leave and that’s also dud.

I enjoy the northbound run, sitting in the leading coach, and the Cat is purring away nicely. The train keeps good time all the way along the route which is fine by me as I have a rather tight connection down the line for my next move. I bail at Dorridge and have barely enough time to leap over the footbridge for my next train, formed of London Midland’s 172332 which is bound for Stratford [Ed: Just to be clear, Keith means the Shakespearean one, not the east London suburb!]

Why leap off of a dud Cat onto a dud 172 you may ask. Well, it was time to get the highlighter pen out on the good old Baker’s Atlas as I was about to traverse a piece of required track, albeit small. Once upon a time, the Hatton West curve was a PSUL move with only a couple of services a day over it but since London Midland had the sense to extend some of the Dorridge terminators to Stratford, the curve is far more accessible. The 172 crawled all the way round the curve and I was concerned that my next connection might go up in the air but we seemed to make reasonable progress once clear of the curve and arrived at Stratford Parkway bang on time. I had sufficient time to bail over the bridge for the approaching 165. I was the only person waiting to go towards Leamington Spa and one other bailed at the Parkway. A dud 165025 was to be my get out of town chariot and my plans were very rough at this stage with thoughts revolving around some shack scratching but first I wanted to get back to Leamington Spa lest there might be a required Cat in town.

It was a little galling to pause at required shacks en-route but some of those might come later. Arriving at Leamington Spa, I bailed from the 165, fully expecting to stretch my legs before reboarding to head back out on it and grab a required shack or two. I had not bargained for Cross country throwing a spanner in the works – their Control staff must have had a hooky copy of my requirements list as they bowled out 220025 for the next northbound service and this was a hit, winner, score or whatever you call it! The red pen had finally come out of hiding and had some exercise today! Next stop for the Vomit Comet was Coventry and while The Ten Mile Club would not be seeing an additional recruit unless I stayed the course to Coventry, at least we have another “line in the book”.

It had been many a year since I had done the trundle from Leamington Spa to Coventry and it was good to see the construction of Kenilworth station progressing nicely. Another new shack to grab in due course. With 220025 successfully in the book, I bailed at Coventry wondering how long it would now take me to scoop up my last three XC Vomit Comets. A couple of London Midland and Virgin services came and went while I reformulated my plans before a Skateboard appeared. OK it was not my last LM Tin Rocket but it was under ten miles so I could at last have the pleasure of recommending yet another unit for membership of The Ten Mile Club. I boarded 153334 and rather than heading through to Nuneaton, I thought that this would be an ideal opportunity to start the assault on intermediate shacks on the line so a bail at Bermuda Park was the order of the day. There did not seem to be much here save for some commercial activity and it was not long before 153334 returned to take me back to Coventry Arena. Again, not masses here apart from a frothball stadium and a retail park. Time to tuck into the sarnies while the 153 went to Coventry and back!

Twenty minutes later, with me having swapped platforms, 153334 reappears and off we totter to Bedworth. The wait here is more like half an hour so once the Skateboard has departed, I went for a quick walk. The weather had warmed up a little and I happened upon the local Spoons so time for some refreshment of the adult variety - a swift half and the Spoons is duly in the book (number 28 by my reckoning, including two closed ones). A short stroll back to the station and it’s not long before 153334 reappears to return me to Coventry. What next?

By now, I was in the mood for shack scratching with four under my belt already today so I quickly set about working out how to reduce the number of intermediate shacks between Coventry and New Street. First up was 350251 to take me to Canley where a three minute wait ensued before 350257 returned me to Coventry. Then 350112 took me to Berkswell where a -1 was pulled off and 350377 whisked me back to Tile Hill for 350118 to Birmingham International. 323212 was waiting to form the next stopper to New Street so an ideal opportunity to get Adderley Park in. Here I switched sides to await the Starship’s return when 350370 whizzed through the station bound for New Street.

“That’s put a spanner in the works” was the thought that rushed across my mind. "Why?" you may ask - 350370 was my last 350/3! So rather than trying to deal with the last two intermediate shacks between Birmingham and Coventry, I had to hot foot it back to International to await the 350/3’s return from the Bat Cave. No way was I letting a red-penner go. I had about ten minutes before the previously elusive 350/3 rolled in, it’s health having doubtlessly worsened as a result of a temporary short-term visit to the hell hole of Birmingham! I piled on along with a load of skinflints who seemed to have the desire to get to the Smoke on the cheap (I cannot believe that they all needed the Dessie!) Coventry saw me bailing and 350370 issued with the obligatory application form for The Ten Mile Club as I bailed. So what next?

221124 looked tempting [Ed: How can a Vomit Comet look tempting?] and while not a line in the book, was under ten miles. A quick jaunt down to Leamington Spa would easily solve that little conundrum. So I had a second glance at the works for the new Kenilworth station before alighting at Leamington Spa. Almost immediately behind was 168106 which I mistakenly thought was needed for 10 miles so I jumped on. It was only once we were on the move that I discovered that it was 168109 which was under the 10 mile threshold. Doh!

On arrival at Banbury, I discovered, much to my horror that Chiltern was in complete meltdown following an incident at High Wycombe. As there was nothing north for a while I headed out to the nearby shops for a supplies raid before returning to the station to witness a northbound service being turned around much to the annoyance of a large number of folk aboard. The next couple of northbound trains left in a rather cosy state but after that 168323+168327 rolled in. Neither were needed for anything save renumbering but I clambered on all the same as there was not likely to be anything decent around. Back at Leamington, I worked out that I had about an hour and a bit to get to Oxford for the final move of the day. Not wanting to do it all by Vomit Comet, I reacquainted myself with 165025 for another trip to Banbury before boarding 220028 for the run down to Oxford.

Then it dawned on me – I could have spent some time knocking out the Cherwell Valley shacks rather that riding around doing not much more than timewasting but that’s called hindsight! Chiltern were still in a complete mess and 168216+168218 rolled in the best part of 30 minutes late. This pair were immediately turned back towards London so I leapt aboard for the final shack score of the day at Oxford Parkway. I had about five minutes to wait before the next train to Oxford arrived – I knew it was booked to be loco-hauled but with all the chaos of the past couple of hours, I was surprised when it did turn up with a nice purring Cat, albeit nameless again, at the helm. A big, big bonus was is was 68012 which was definitely required. Great Stuff!

I clambered aboard for the run back to Oxford where the 35 minute turnaround had been compressed into about three minutes. I stayed on board for the run back to Marylebone, logging 68012 in The Haulage Book for a second time and noting that it would clear 10 miles along the way. This was not my first excursion along the former L&NWR lines out of Oxford – the first being many years back when a late night Paddington – West Midlands service was diverted after Oxford via Bicester, Bletchley and the West Coast to Coventry. What’s better was the fact that a Class 50 was up front! Rapidly reverting to 2017, I was in for a dose of new track, namely the recently constructed curve from Bicester Town/Village up to the Chiltern Main Line. It’s always good to score new track with a loco-hauled train (or for the pedants out there, a locomotive propelled train in this case). 68012 performed fantastically and converted the 3 minute deficit from a late departure from Oxford into a two minute early arrival into Marylebone. Well done 68012.

All that was left for me to do was to head home, thoroughly exhausted by happy from a great day out – in fact a great four days. For the record, it was 1972ts 3235+3464 from Marylebone to Oxford Circus, 11015+11016 Oxford Circus to Victoria where the train terminated, 11003+11004 forward to Stockwell (11003 clearing 10 miles in the process) for 51542+51543 for the final run down to Morden and onwards to home. I looked back over the day and concluded that it was a good one. Two new bits of track, three winners, eight new shacks and several new recruits to The Ten Mile Club. I was certainly in no mood to call the Complaints Department! And as for the four days as a whole, I really enjoyed myself with the primary objective of knocking out several pieces of track being well and truly achieved. Roll on summer and more outings.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like another productive day, with required track, new units, locos & shacks all falling into your book, alongside new members to the Club of 10. :)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a very fun day with some good cat action.

As for the names, there something I made up when the Chiltern cats first started working, kind of based on the names the Chiltern 67s had before them. For the ones without a name (010, 011) or ones that weren't around very much at all (015) we gave them different names:

68010 - Bagpuss (no prizes for guessing why)
68011 - Custard (again, the cat reference)
68012 - 67012 was 'A Shropshire Lad' so 68012 is 'A Shropshire Mog'
68013 - 67013's name was a really hard to say Welsh viaduct that, when you say it, kind of sounds like a cat coughing up a hairball so 68013 became 'Hairball'
68014 - 67014 was 'Thomas Telford' so 68014 became 'Gingertom'
68015 - The highest of the Chiltern bunch so it became 'Topcat'

Keith Jarrett

Sounds like a very fun day with some good cat action.

As for the names, there something I made up when the Chiltern cats first started working, kind of based on the names the Chiltern 67s had before them. For the ones without a name (010, 011) or ones that weren't around very much at all (015) we gave them different names:

68010 - Bagpuss (no prizes for guessing why)
68011 - Custard (again, the cat reference)
68012 - 67012 was 'A Shropshire Lad' so 68012 is 'A Shropshire Mog'
68013 - 67013's name was a really hard to say Welsh viaduct that, when you say it, kind of sounds like a cat coughing up a hairball so 68013 became 'Hairball'
68014 - 67014 was 'Thomas Telford' so 68014 became 'Gingertom'
68015 - The highest of the Chiltern bunch so it became 'Topcat'

Ah, I get it now - unofficial names that were never applied. And Chiltern Cats as a rule do not even seem to get dirty thus preventing even temporary application of the names by rearranging the bodyside grime.

As for being a fun day - it was until ended up at Banbury with Chiltern going into melt down. But all in all, a very successful four days and while winners were not exactly thrusting themselves at me left right and centre, the red pen was not idle and also the track highlighter came out to play - plus all those shacks that were knocked on the head.

Roll on the next couple of rail-based jollies!

Kite159

Veteran Member
68010 got named "The Oxford Flyer"

Chiltern goes into melt-down a lot, thankfully there is an alternative between Banbury & Leamington (then to Birmingham) using XC.

Keith Jarrett

A Week Away from Home – on the Trains!

If you are expecting a bashing intensive report from me this time then think again. This time it is a week’s holiday away with Mrs KJ where trains will be secondary to sightseeing. We are off to North Wales and have secured a holiday home within two minutes’ walk of a railway station.

On Saturday, we got up at stupid o’clock as we had not finished packing from the night before and had to be out of the house by 07:30 – we were actually out of the door 10 minutes early! A rapid journey to Euston ensued (51525+51717 from Morden to Stockwell and 11093+11094 onwards to Euston). At Euston we had the joy of experiencing the Virgin ticket office as we needed some rover tickets and those are not available from ticket machines. Mrs KJ wonders when the railway will modernise and allow all tickets to be purchased on line. With tickets obtain we head for the platforms – with less than 10 minutes to go, it was not platformed.

We resigned ourselves to a last-minute stampede but before I could even consult RTT for an advanced clue as to which platform we would need to wait near to, the indicator board did the job and pointed us to 390118. Thankfully, we were ahead of most of the herd and secured seats swiftly. A slightly late departure was not helpful but we had a 16-minute connection so not all was lost. Thankfully no further time was lost en route – in fact a few minutes were gained by the time we bailed at Birmingham International. Looking for the Arrive Wales service to the Cambrian Coast, I was surprised to see a 150. Oh dear, they’re not allowed down the Cambrian! But we took a seat in the accompanying 158 and I promptly logged 150245+158835 in The Haulage Book. Between Birmingham and Wolverhampton, I pointed out various sights which we had seen several years back on a canal boat holiday. Before we had left the West Midlands conurbation, the guard came through advising that there would be a set swap at Shrewsbury on account of the 150. Shame as the air-con in the 158 was working. Boo! Hiss!

At Shrewsbury, we all trooped off and were pointed towards a single 158, 158833. This was going to be cosy but everyone squeezed on with passengers for Pwllheli being advised to change again at Machynlleth. Mrs KJ was not particularly happy at the prospect of three changes when the original plan was only one. But 158835 was a long-term absentee from The Haulage Book and 158833 was cleared for 10 miles, the only previous journey being a Bus Stop Bash from Conwy to Llandudno Junction on a previous family holiday in North Wales. Back to the present and 158834 was waiting for us at Machynlleth and we secured decent seats for the trek up the coast passing through numerous (like all) required shacks to our destination of Porthmadog.

While we arrived at our destination on time, this was now three out of three occasions that journeys on the Cambrian had not gone to plan. My first trip (to Aberystwyth) on an excursion from Bristol back in the 1970s suffered a loco failure on the way back. Then, my attempt to get to Pwllheli in 1977 with a class 40 resulted the 40 being ripped at Machynlleth and a 25 staggering as far as Porthmadog. Apparently, a signal box closure prevented us going all the way. And now today’s farce!

While our accommodation was near a railway station, it was not the national rail station. Instead we had a walk across town to our accommodation next to the Ffestiniog’s Porthmadog Harbour station.

Sunday. This seems to be the day that most of Wales sleeps if transport provision is anything to go by but we were determined to get out and about. Our target was the village of Portmeirion which we had visited 30 years ago. We either had the choice of trying to use our tickets on a bus whose operator was not “on the list” or walking across town and using the train. The latter won and we spent all of six minutes travelling on 158841 from Porthmadog to Minffordd. Good choice as this move gave me a shack scratch. The walk to Portmeirion was pleasant and not as far as we had estimated. An enjoyable day was had wandering around William Clough-Ellis’s Italian style village that became famous on account of being the location of the cult 60s TV Show, The Prisoner. A stroll back to Minffordd for 158835 back to Porthmadog.

Monday was primarily a day on the buses with a visit to Llanberis. We thought that we would see if it was possible to get a trip up Snowdon but there was an advertised five-hour wait which expanded to 6.5 hours by the time we got to the ticket office. Instead we went for a spin on the Llanberis Lake Railway with number 1 Elidir. Required track, loco and three shacks in the book. Not bad. Afterwards we headed to Bangor to visit the Cathedral and then we took a wander to Bangor’s Victorian Pier. The latter well worth a visit if you are a fan of Victorian engineering. The Traws Cymru express bus returned us to Porthmadog.

Tuesday was to be a red-letter day for me. After a leisurely get up, we wandered across town to the national rail station where it was not long before 158829 showed up, bound for Pwllheli. At long last, almost 40 years after the first attempt, I was set to make it to the remotest part of the Cambrian Coast Line. Twenty minutes or so after boarding 158829, we were alighting at Pwllheli, the track having been secured and another shack duly scratched. We then defected to the buses to visit the seaside village of Aberdaron. The village had a cute seaside church and a couple of gift shops that received our patronage. Returning to Pwllheli, it was a case of “What Next?” There wasn’t a train out for well over an hour so we stayed with the buses and made for Criccieth.

The castle at this coastal settlement was in our sights and we duly bagged another Welsh castle to add to our growing list. A walk along the short promenade afterwards failed to produce any establishments selling ice cream so we had to make do with the remnants of the day’s picnic. I’d had enough of the buses so politely suggested that we make for the train. There were no objections on the part of Mrs KJ and we soon found Criccieth station. Given that there was a short wait for the next train, we admired the artwork that had been done by local primary school kids a few years back as part of Arriva Wales’ safety campaign. Before long, 158822 appeared and we clambered aboard but not bound as you might expect for Porthmadog. I was in the mood for shack scratching! As we were heading west, it made perfect sense to bag the request halt of Penychain which in its former glory days served the Butlin’s Holiday Camp. We had some time to kill at Penychain and I hit on the idea of getting Abererch in too – we did not have enough time to walk so what about the bus? In theory, it was do-able but we were thwarted as the bus was late and could result in failure as we were not 100% sure where we were going. Instead we wandered around the area for a while before catching 158822 back to Porthmadog.

It’s Wednesday and already the holiday was into its second half. Time goes fast when you are having fun! The only use we made of our rover tickets today was to secure a very worthwhile 50% discount on the fare to Caernarfon on the Welsh Highland Railway. Loco NG143 (NGG 16 class Beyer-Garratt) was out motive power over this impressive line and again it was a case of required track all the way, required loco and shack scratch (Caernarfon). Not the cheapest of lines but highly recommended for scenery, 25 miles of steam thrash and general enjoyment. The train stopped at Dinas where we joined the trackbed of the old Afonwen branch [Ed: Memo to self – read up on the Afonwen branch as we know absolutely nothing about it!] There were various diesel locos hanging around the sheds and station area – I wonder whether they ever produce on passenger workings?

What do you do though when in Caernarfon? Go and visit a castle of course! It took us well over two hours to get around and even then, we did not see everything. Then followed a quick inspection of the town, seafront and market place before it was time to return to the WHR and board the last train off the day back to Porthmadog.

The WHR are in the throes of building a new station building so the station site is a bit of a building site but it still is sufficient to cater for those needing Porthmadog – just less facilities and most of those are just down the road in temporary accommodation. It was left to another NGG 16 Beyer-Garratt, Belgian-built number 87, to become the second loco hit of the day with a return climb up to Rydd Ddu before coasting downhill all the way to Porthmadog through the spectacle of the Aberglaslyn Pass.

Thursday dawns and we off across town to Porthmadog national rail and again we are heading west with low-mileage 158830. This time we bail at the required shack of Abererch so completing all shacks at the remote end of the Cambrian cleared with the remotest one now being Penrhyndeudraeth. Of course, I need all of the other 18 between Machynlleth and here too! There’s not a lot to say about Abererch apart from it being the 102nd least used station on the national network and the least used on the Cambrian coast. We had a quick look at the coast before making for the main road as we wanted to get to Pwllheli and did not fancy a two-hour wait for the next train. A word of note for other shack bashers attempting to deal with Abererch by bus, the bus stop is not on the main road and there’s no official stop until Abererch village for Pwllheli-bound buses. Nevertheless, we managed to persuade the driver to stop.

Most of the rest of the day was spent going to Abersoch which seemed to be an up-market version of Aberdaron visited two days earlier. Up-market comprising a posh boatyard and loads of expensive clothing shops and equally expensive coffee shops. Once we had returned to Pwllheli we set about checking out the local shops there. After walking out to a deserted seafront, we were rather hungry so retreated back to the town centre and patronised the local Spoons. The Pen Cob was a winner for me and with it being a Thursday, we simply had to have a curry! The day’s activities finished with my first ever departure from Pwllheli by train with repeat offender 158829 providing the traction for the journey back to Porthmadog.

Friday and it’s our last full day in Porthmadog. We not seen a lot of the town so the morning was spent wandering up and down the High Street nosing in various shops but not spending a lot. That was until we reached the Purple Moose Brewery’s shop where I splashed out on several bottles of their excellent “adult beverage” along with a suitable drinking vessel. I looked in Porthmadog’s only bookshop and was pleased to see that they had a secondhand section. However I was simply astounded at some of the prices being asked for secondhand books; I would not be leaving any cash here!

We’d not been on the Festiniog Railway (only the Welsh Highland) despite our holiday accommodation being literally yards from Porthmadog Harbour Station. So, it was a case of back to the accommodation, dump our bits of shopping and grab the pre-prepared sandwiches etc. and make for the next train out. I knew from earlier observation that we’d be having winning loco Merddin Emrys, the oldest operating Double Fairlie on the railway. With two heavily discounted returns to Blaenau Ffestiniog in our hands we took up station towards the front of the train as with most of the journey being up hill, there was thrash to be sampled (and of course, as we were in holiday mode, scenery and the like to be viewed). Merddin Emrys did not disappoint and we had a most enjoyable trip up to Blaenau. Last time we did the Ffestiniog, it was seven years ago and in pouring rain so a clear day made for a much more enjoyable trip this time around.

We opted to stay in Blaenau for a couple of hours and again discovered a bookshop which must have been taking its cue from the Porthmadog one. Not only were the prices sky-high but they did not even look after their books! Again, my cash stayed safely in my wallet. After a tramp around the town we returned for the next (and last train of the day) down the hill to Porthmadog. Not as much thrash this time but Earl of Merioneth was still enjoyable traction for the return trip. I’d had the Earl before – that was back in 2010 on a round trip from Blaenau Festiniog to Porthmadog. My thoughts kept on revolving around how the serious shack-scratcher would get some of the more obscure halts in the book given their remoteness and or location halfway up a mountainside with only a few trains each way except in high season. But all too soon, we were back at Porthmadog and with the final day almost over, we set about packing and tidying up the accommodation.

Saturday and it’s time to start the long trek home. First of all, we have the walk across town with what seems to be more luggage than we came with [Ed: Must be all those purchases from the Purple Moose Brewery shop and thank goodness, the bookshops were charging rip-off prices as otherwise you’d be even more overloaded!] 158833 rolls up on time bound for Birmingham International. A healthy number of folk alight only to be replaced by an equally healthy number of travellers. We proceed slowly along the coast, calling at the vast majority of the request halts. Loadsings were such that the guard found it difficult to get round everyone to collect their fares. Despite this, we arrive at Machynlleth bang on time. 158841 follows up behind so the formation becomes 158833+158841 forward. The guard announces that there will be a slight delay as a train had been in an altercation with a tree earlier in the morning somewhere around Newtown and was limping back to the depot. A few minutes late we were on the move and while there was a 158 moving around the depot yard, there were not any noticeable bits either hanging off or missing so hopefully more a precautionary measure. The train fills out and by Shrewsbury, there were few seats left although most of our carriage alights there. After the reversal, we carry on having recovered the delay on departure from Machynlleth. Then at Telford I see something that I did not really want to see – 170508, my last LM 170. That’s the second time I’ve seen it and not been able to do anything about it!

We press on to Wolverhampton and through the West Midlands before alighting at Birmingham International only to discover that Virgin had gone into meltdown with widespread cancellations and late running! Allegedly, the next Virgin train to London would be at least 50 minutes away so I start checking whether there are any other options – the quickest wat seemed to involve taking the next London Midland service to Rugby and picking up a Trent Valley stopper from there. So we bailed onto a wedged 350247 but by then I discovered that there was the prospect of a late running Pendolino behind us. Just as we arrive at Coventry, RTT was able to confirm that this was indeed correct so we bailed at Coventry. 350247 remained in the platform, awaiting a guard while the Pendolino caught up. With both platforms 1 and 2 at Coventry blocked by trains (the Nuneaton shuttle was joining the party) we had the unusual pleasure of leaving from Platform 3 with 390115 bound for Euston. With a clear road all the way up the West Coast, no further time was lost so the train ended up arriving Euston some 50 late. To complete the trip, 11091+11092 took us down to Stockwell where we swapped over to 51673+51674 for the journey south to Morden and back to the delights of home after a week away.

So what of the week? The weather could have been kinder to us but that’s the penalty for holidaying in one of the dampest parts of the UK. But the upsides were a plenty. Two more castles in the book and an excellent week with Mrs KJ for company. The rail front was not neglected with five new shacks suitably scratched (plus some narrow gauge ones), four new narrow gauge locos and best of all, another annoying piece of passenger track on the national network now suitably highlighted in the Bakers.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A thoroughly enjoyable holiday, clearly, there Keith. There's lots of bits and bobs to comment on, and if I'd known you were touching into my stomping grounds I'd have put out the welcome banners. Especially as you were visiting Wales, an old home country of mine!

Purple Moose Brewery is a new name to me, sounds very intriguing and I must ensure I keep an eye out for them when I eventually make a visit to that part of Wales. It's safe to say you beat the forum's chief shack scratchers to some of those! Everything north of Penhelig is required in terms of shacks for me, and those narrow guage lines are all required too.

You've got the TPP Mode part of my brain in overdrive now, as I've been putting off a week in that part of the country for too many years. October is due to see me on a very different idea, something I never thought I'd ever do...Hmm, I do have holiday time to use yet too...*enters an afternoon of TPP Mode*

What was the place you stayed at, and more importantly was it one you'd recommend?

As always an excellent read!

Established Member
Looks like a grand holiday.
Your report has evoked some excellent memories of when my wife and I spent a week in Caernarfon Castle a couple of years ago.
Great reading.

Keith Jarrett

Slightly out of order (the holiday with Mrs KJ came afterwards).

June 14th 2017 – And now for something completely different!

No, were are not off to the movies to watch a re-run of the 1971 film based on Monty Python’s Flying Circus. As the title says, I am doing something completely different to the normal bashing day but having had a taste of the “different” day, more will almost certainly come.

So let me indulge in some background. Regular readers may recall that last summer, I lost a lifelong friend. He was an avid track basher and of the available track on the national network at the time of his demise, all he required was Tweedbank, Ayr - Mauchline Junction, the new alignments in the Reading area, the Bicester curve, Norton Bridge and High Marnham. All other track, whether regular passenger track, PSUL moves or freight lines available for railtours had been scratched.

So what’s all that got to do with today? Well, back in the early part of last year, I and a mutual acquaintance, Richard, agreed to help him, as far as possible, scratch all his required track as soon as possible. He was twice thwarted in his attempts to get Tweedbank and had booked to do Ayr-Mauchline Junction in August 2016, only four weeks after his passing. High Marnham had not come up for several years – and anyway, the more recent tours embracing High Marnham had clashed with his business commitments. Richard and I agreed that we’d do all of the required track on our friend’s behalf and fortunately for both of us, we needed all of the track! The passenger track is of course easy and I have picked up most of it in recent weeks (just Tweedbank to go).

As seems usual for my days out, I made my way to Morden Underground where it fell to 51586+51587 to whisk me north to Stockwell (I even had the pleasure of Mrs KJ’s company for part of the journey as she was off to work). At Stockwell, the cross-platform interchange saw me board 11001+11002 to continue northwards – I was already happy as that would mean 11001 would join that most elite of institutions, The Ten Mile Club. I alighted at Kings Cross and made my way upstairs to the mainline station where 365501+365505 were the next entries in The Haulage Book. Neither were mileage requirements but 365501 had not featured in dispatches for many a year. In fact the last time that I enjoyed this unit was on DC power! But within minutes, I was alighting at Finsbury Park for the main event of the day.

At Finsbury Park, I was greeted by the sight of 37116 on some sort of test train – if only I could have a spin with that today? [Ed: Calm down, it’s a dud!] Anyway, Richard was joining me today and we soon rendezvoused. He was more excited about the 37 than me but almost immediately went into reminiscence mode as in years gone by, he could be found pacing the East Coast Main Line with 100mph English Electric Type 5s.

A few commuter trains came and went before a class 66 on a string of Mark 1s hove into view – that 66 was 66074 which was to be one (of two) locos that I’d score today. We soon found our allocated seats towards the front of the train – comprised of Mark 1 rolling stock. Today we were poshing it – not only were we in 1st class but we’d signed up for the dining option. We might as well do things in style! We set off down the ECML and it was not long before we were being offered the first of several breakfast courses – looking at the menu, it was going to be a right royal feast. Richard got rather excited as we passed through Biggleswade as he scored a red 66 for sight – it was on the concrete blocks from Heck. Stopping at various points along the way to scoop up additional passengers, we soon found ourselves in Peterborough where there was a short delay to await a new driver. Staying on the slow lines, we “turned left” onto former Midland metals through Stamford, a route that I had not traversed in many a year. Let’s say, my last visit was behind a steam heat 31 on three or four Mark 1s.

The territory beyond Manton Junction where the Corby line comes in is a little more familiar as I bagged this on a diversion and also a railtour in more recent ti9mes. Onwards we trundled and with the great breakfast feast now over, Richard and I set about putting the world to rights. Then Richard suddenly became distracted again and at first, I thought that he had sighted another winner. No, I was wrong on that one – he was on new track as we crawled and squealed our way around the Syston curve. That excitement lasted all of 30 seconds as we were soon on the Midland Main Line. After our final pick-up at East Midlands Parkway, I was pleased that the train stayed on the slow lines as it was my turn to join the track scratching stakes as somehow I needed the Toton High Level goods line – my previous attempts all being thwarted by over-zealous signallers putting the train up the main line!

Richard was getting all excited again as we were passing Toton depot – understandably so as the jammy so-and-so managed to rake in two more 66s for sight. [Ed: Can we have a little decorum around here? After all we are travelling First Class today.] After the excitement of Toton, we ploughed on northwards past the recently opened shack at Ilkeston before turning off the main line towards Mansfield. Once upon a time, these lines would have been crawling with coal trains but King Coal is no more. Network Rail really ought to have sent their vegetation management team up here as there were more than just the odd branch scratching the train – judging by some of the loud thuds, it was quite large boughs that were growing out over the railway. We soon joined up with the Nottingham to Worksop line – in years gone by, it would have been eyes right to look at Shirebrook Depot but these days, there was nothing to be seen. Soon we were swinging right again and now the train was on the High Marnham branch – more new track being scratched!

The train came to a halt at the disused station of Ollerton where we all alighted for a leg-stretch. Amazingly, for a station that had closed to all passenger traffic over 50 years ago. Network Rail had even had the decency to put up some signs on the platforms. Once our legs had been suitably stretched, 66074 set off again and we reached the end of the line around half an hour late. Lunch was now being served and was a mere snack in comparison to breakfast but tasty all the same. Passing Tuxford, some of the occupants put Richard to shame with their levels of excitement upon the sighting of some brand new, straight out of the box, on track plant.

At the end of the line, it was now time for 66182 to take charge where we retraced our steps to Codnor Park Junction. Here the train reversed and it was time for 66074 to take charge again heading north to Chesterfield before swinging right onto the “Old Road” via Barrow Hill. At Beighton Junction we took a left and headed towards Sheffield passing the old sidings at Woodhouses where once class 76s could be seen stabled on a weekend on towards “Steel City”. The Supertram depot seemed to be full of the new Tram-Trains but not a lot else – after all, it was approaching the evening rush hour now. Instead of swinging left towards Sheffield Midland, the valiant 66 headed straight on towards our next destination of Deepcar. I’d only been up here a couple of times before – once on a DMU headed towards Huddersfield via Penistone and the other time behind a pair of 76s on a farewell tour. Climbing through Sheffield’s north western suburbs, the train eventually came to a halt near to what must have been Deepcar station.

66182 was brought in to life for a second time and after the regulation 15 minute pause we began the journey back home. The restaurant car crew began the service of the evening meal as soon as we had left Deepcar and what a banquet that proved to be. Even though it was a warm day, a cooked dinner was more than welcome - we lost count of the number of courses but estimate it at five.

Our return route was initially a retrace of our outward journey as far as Codnor Park Junction where we stayed on the Erewash Valley route. While the outward journey saw us patronising the High Level Goods Lines, on the return, the train slowed to almost a complete stop at Stapleford & Sandiacre before lurching to the right where we were given a totally different view of Toton depot by taking the lines at the rear of the depot next to Sandiacre Ballast Sidings – required track for Richard and myself. We were booked a stop in the vicinity of the depot and the driver did well to maintain a slow speed past the piles of locos at the north end of the depot before bring the train to a halt towards the southern end of the depot complex. The number crunchers in our carriage were having a field day – there were numerous cries of “Cop”, “Winner” and similar phrases so I should imagine that various Books of Sights were being filled.

The prime reason for the stop was two-fold - a crew change and also to water the restaurant cars. After all this was over, it was time to move on past the few remaining locos that had yet to be identified (yet more rotting Class 60s that are never likely to run again). We regained the main line and our return was a simple reverse of the outward route via East Midlands Parkway, the Syston Curve and Peterborough. The banquet was over by the time we stopped at East Midlands Parkway – one passenger from our coach announced that he was off there as he needed to get to Crewe for another tour the following day.

The run back south in the evening sun was enjoyable and by the time we came to a halt at Finsbury Park, it was good to stretch the legs again. Richard and I dived down the stairs to the Victoria Line where 11089+11090 took us south. Richard bailed at Victoria while I stuck on to Stockwell. The usual cross-platform interchange was effected and 51535+51536 provided the traction for the journey home to Morden – 51535 was cleared for 100 miles so a welcome end to the day.

And what of the day? It was never about bag-loads of winners but a good old fashioned track-bash, albeit in style, as well as a tribute to our mutual friend who passed away last year. Of course the 66s were winners and both managed to get over the 100 mile mark too but that was very much secondary. I’m sure we’ll be back touring again as and when something decent turns up and the diary allows.

Established Member
A very civilised tour by the look of things.
Also it seems a fitting tribute to an absent friend.

This, though

I’d only been up here a couple of times before – once on a DMU headed towards Huddersfield via Penistone and the other time behind a pair of 76s on a farewell tour.

had me green with envy. I never even saw a 76 move, let alone get one for haulage.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That sounds like a monster of a day, tons of required track for me in there too. A good chance my last two 60s for sight, 60070 and 60098, will have been noted on Toton too.

First Class is never cheap and an experience I would like to try some day. You just never expect to find cranks in such accommodation!

Certainly a fitting tribute for your late friend, and a good day for you both too!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Much agreed with the above sentiments Keith. I found myself imagining how those places that you passed through would have looked thirty years before, I remember some of the railways around Nottingham when there were still coal trains everywhere.

Keith Jarrett

The Annual Scottish Bash - Day 1

“Doesn’t time go fast when you’re having fun?” is an old adage. Only a few days after my return from North Wales and I am back on the rails again. It’s the annual trip to foreign lands with my good friends Rex and Mark. No doubt they will end up viewing most of Scotland through the viewfinders of their disgustingly expensive cameras; Rex reckons that if a camera costs less than £3k then it’s not worth knowing about!

The day started with a hideously early alarm of 05:10 so that I could be out of the house by 05:45. Making my way to Morden station, 51600+51601 were provided for my journey north to Stockwell where I made a dash for 11027+11028 on to Kings Cross [Ed: Why dash, there'll be another one along in a few minutes?]. Needing more travel tickets than I possessed for the coming days, I headed to the booking office and sorted out the necessary paperwork very swiftly. Expecting to find Rex waiting on some bench, I was surprised that he did not appear until relatively late, and with Mark in tow, just as our train was being platformed. As is usual when leaving the Cross, it was a case of “VTEC Control simply do not get it” through their insistence on rostering high mileage 91s for most of my East Coast journeys. [Ed: 55013 of this parish would no doubt disagree with your definition of high mileage]. So it fell to 91118 to cart us all the way to Edinburgh which would put the machine in the high 900s in the mileage stakes.

We had an uneventful journey north and we spent a lot of the time catching up on our various antics over the past few weeks. In what seemed to be no time at all we were alighting in Edinburgh and while it was to be base camp later on in the trip, we had more travelling to do. I cursed at two Inverness 158s being blocked in at Waverley as did Rex and Mark; I needed both for red pen action while Rex and Mark wanted the pair for photograph! But we could not wait as we needed to get further north!

170475 was the net entry into The Haulage Book being taken as far as the winning shack of Bridge of Allan. Rex was pleased as a winning 158 stopped in the opposite platform and for Mark, it was a winning shack so he set about getting some shots of the station in the few minutes that we had available. It was another Droning Machine that took us on from Bridge of Allan, 170426. While we stayed on board until the bitter end, having traversed the entirety of the Highland Main Line, at least it was to be my last Drone of the day. I had some time to kill so went for a walk in Inverness city centre and stumbled upon a winning Spoons so thought that it would have been rude not to bag it!

Returning to the station for my first move, I boarded dud 158722 to head further north by rail – the first time in 40 years that I had been north of Inverness. That trip, on 5th July 1977, has thankfully been recorded for posterity in my “Keith’s Time Machine” thread. My targets were a combination of the large number of Inverness 158s that still call my wants list “home” and to start nibbling away at the shacks north of the Highland capital. So I started with the first shack out of Inverness, Beauly. Not a huge amount to say about this small shack apart from it seemed that passenger usage was healthy and of course, the diminutive nature of the platform meant that the guard could count every passenger off and on. Yes in the evening peak a sizeable number boarded!

After a speedy look around the immediate neighbourhood of the station, I returned to the station and waited for the next northbound service which rolled in with 158707, a long-term absentee from The Haulage Book. Welcome back! An equally healthy number of passengers alighted from 158707 – Invernet seems to be catching on with the local population. I gave the next station, Muir of Ord, a miss as after Beauly with its tiny platform, I simply had to do Conon Bridge with an equally small platform and again it was local door only for alighting here. Apart from houses, there was nothing of note here so I whiled away the time perched on the platform bench to await my final northbound service. Before this appeared, I witnessed the relatively rare sight of a pair of DRS 66s heading south on the irregular nuclear waste working. I knew that this working was on the radar of Rex and Mark so I messaged them to make sure that they were awake when it showed up. The 66s must have been held at Muir of Ord to pass my train as that appeared on time with 158705 and at last, a match with the requirements list. Just a pity that I was only on for a couple of miles or so to Dingwall. Membership of The Ten Mile Club would have to wait for another day.

Now it was time to start heading back to Inverness and it was a short wait for low mileage 158719 – this time I did not sail straight through Muir of Ord but chose to bail as there was another, unknown, service about 20 minutes behind. Muir of Ord was pretty quiet with only the shrieks of kids playing in a nearby garden to break the silence. A shade early, my final train of the day produced 158725 which was low mileage as well – the journey back to Inverness would see yet another applicant to the 800 Chain Club.

Now it was time to meet up with Rex and Mark who had been stationed at various points in the Inverness area bagging phots of freight trains and Inverness 158s. The journey back allowed me to look back on the day and while winners were very sparse – there was only one in the shape of 158705, four more shacks had been added to the list. I located Rex and Mark who were waiting for yet another freight to show up - a Grangemouth to Lairg tank working which Mark advised only ran one in a blue moon. Within minutes it appeared with 56302 at the helm thus giving me my first 56 sighting that far north. With nothing else around, we trekked out to our digs and made it an early night as some of us wanted to be up and about early the following morning.

Kite159

Veteran Member
*grumbles at the appearance of 707 ;)*

Sounded like a good first day in the Highlands, apart from the 170 drone on the Highland Main Line :)

Keith Jarrett

The Annual Scottish Bash - Day 2

I was up early as I wanted to be on the move quickly. Winners don’t come while you’re lazing around in bed! As I arrived at Inverness station, I noted one of Rex’s required 158s heading off to Aberdeen – a quick message to him was greeted by some mild expletives. He would have to hang around in Inverness longer than planned in order to bag it.

My first move was to go out to Muir of Ord to cover two inbound commuter trains. The first being a +3 while the latter was about a +30. In theory, this move could throw up the units that I had come across the previous evening but there was always a chance that things could get swapped around. 158719 was to be my horse out to Muir of Ord and while this was a repeat from the previous day, it was still lacking the necessary mileage to heave it into The Ten Mile Club. The spin up to Muir of Ord would easily solve that conundrum and allow the necessary application to be approved. The +3 was already in the station (some 4 early) as 158719 rolled in and was dud so I was left with a reasonable fester to see whether the second roll of the dice would produce anything. It was obviously too early for the noisy kids who had disturbed the peace on the previous evening so I pitched up on the rather uncomfortable seat in the waiting shelter and bided my time. Bang on cue, the second option appears and in contrast to option 1, 158703 gave a perfect match with my lists. Time to get the red pen out! But more importantly, first it was time to clamber aboard along with the assembled mass of commuters as I’d look like a complete mug standing on the platform with red pen in hand as 158703 accelerated away into the distance! I made myself comfortable among the regular travellers and we scooped up more at the Beauly stop. Being used to London sardine-cans, this was pure luxury – any standing passengers were standing of their volition rather than enforced as would be the case down in The Smoke. All too soon, my Highland commute was over so what next?

I soon bumped into Mark (Rex was away photographing the Inverness 08) and was given the heads up that I had a second winning 158 out and about. He then proceeded to lead me to a pair of 158s that were being put together and were Aberdeen bound. The leading unit of 158702+158725 was of interest so it was time to head down the Aberdeen line for the first time in may a year. Barely had the red pen been exercised for a second time in the day and the train ground to a halt about a mile out of Inverness – I must admit, I thought that it was a very slow start from Inverness despite the engines of 158702 being on full power. The guard quickly came over the PA and announced that there was a fault with the rear unit and it was not taking power.

The driver made a hasty exit from his cab towards the back of the train and for several minutes there was much revving of engines and brakes coming on and off but no discernible movement. The guard then announced that there was possibly a coupling error and that the two sets would need to be split and recoupled. A few more rounds of engine revving and brakes o/off ensued with only small movement when the guard announced that a successful recouple had been made and we would be on our way.

With the driver safely installed at the front of the train we were soon on our way about 18 down. I had planned a bail at Nairn but as soon as we arrived at Nairn, 158723 which had been sat in the loop sped off back towards Inverness. I was not amused as that was required! Rather than face an hour’s fester in Nairn, I stayed on to Forres – it was unclear whether we would be held to pass the next train back to Inverness at Forres Loop or whether the crossing would take place as booked at Elgin. It seemed like the latter option was selected. This gave me the chance to look around Forres and to note the construction of a new station on a different site and indeed a new alignment of the railway also in build. Both the new station and the new alignment are significantly (I estimate about 100 metres) different to what we have now. That means that when all this opens up, both track bashers and the more dedicated shack scratchers will need to revisit this part of town.

A totally dud 158722 appears running about 15 down which would in theory jeopardise my next connection at Inverness but it seemed that half the train wanted onward connections either onto the Highland main line or a few for the Far North. The guard was able to phone ahead with an estimate of the number of folk involved and Control must have decided that holding connections at Inverness was the better option. Some spirited running combined with some recovery time on the run into Inverness saw a 9 late arrival and the station staff must have been prepared for the herd of people dashing for connections. I was in the lead part of the pack and successfully met up with Mark who was travelling south with me – Rex having to stay on for that errant 158 he was still chasing.

The quick dash saw Mark and I boarding 158720+158723 so after the earlier miss at Nairn, I was able to get the red pen out for 158723. Four Inverness 158s down, five to find; all of which must be either further south or hidden in the back of Inverness shed since between Rex, Mark and myself, we had covered every single working in and around Inverness. But it was a relative pleasure to have a pair of 158s over the Highland Main Line. Mark could not initially understand my relative delight in a pair of 158s until I pointed out the lack of the 170-droning then he began to understand. Some folk just need educating! We made good progress over the Highland Main Line until we reached Pitlochry when the guard announced that we’d be sat here for 10 minutes or so waiting for a northbound service. Mark saw this as a cue to stretch his legs and go and get a few shots of Pitlochry station before getting into position to photograph the errant northbound service which contained another pair of 158s. He did not twig at the time but he had a winning (for photograph) 158 in the formation – the penny dropped many hours later when he was trawling through his lists!

As soon as the northbound pair of 158s were safely settled in the loop, we progressed onwards to Perth where Mark and I bailed. Not that we were fed up of 158s, but we wanted to get to Glasgow. 158723 not only became the latest victim of the red pen and member of The Ten Mile Club but also joined the more exclusive 8,000 Chain Club. After a 10-minute wait, 170454 showed up for the final stretch of our journey. This was fortunate for me as I could welcome yet another applicant into The Ten Mile Club. Upon arrival at Queen Street, I descended to the low level where 334024+334027 became the latest entries into The Haulage Book. 334027 was low mileage but I did not want to go to Milngavie with the pair, choosing instead to bail at Hyndland where a couple of minutes later, I was on the move again with 318258, another low mileage machine.

Travelling out via Singer, Dalmuir was the ultimate destination of 318258 so still short for The Ten Mile Club. I could have waited for it to go back after a visit to the reversing siding but 320415 caught my eyes. Out with the red pen for this former west coast machine, shorn of its trailer car. This time, I headed back west via Yoker and bailed at Partick where I thought that I’d have a short play with the underground. Moves are summarised below
130+201+101 Partick Kelvinbridge
126+208+125 Kelvinbridge - Kelvinhall
112+128+106 Kelvinhall - Cessnock
104+203+121 Cessnock – Partick
133+110+103 Partick - Kelvinhall
109+123+117 Kelvinhall - Partick
I wanted to stay out longer and do more tracks are shacks but I’ll leave that for next time. No soon that I had left the Clockwork Orange behind, than I got a message from Mark giving me a fix on a very important unit. So I leapt aboard 318255+320311 and headed west from Partick, feeling quite pleased with my initial haul off of the Subway. I decided to risk a +1 at Westerton and that paid off. As I scrambled over the footbridge I was greeted by low mileage 318253 leading zero mileage 320320 so having hastily scribbled 318253+320320 in my notebook, the red pen saw the light of day again. At last, my original 320 was safely in the book, leaving some of the former London Midland imposters as my sole ex-BR EMUs in Scotland needing the attention of my red pen.

It would have been good to clear 320320 for 10 miles but with rubbish connections at the ten-mile stage, I bailed well short at Rutherglen where a short wait ensued before 318258 popped up and this time, I made sure that 10 miles were on the clock. Leaving the latest recruit to The Ten Mile Club at Argyll Street, it was only a short wait for 318269+320319 to show up. By the time I reached Clydebank, both the 318 and 320 had topped 10 miles so with the chance of a winning shack, I bailed out again. I had sufficient time to cross the footbridge for 334005 which only needed a micro mileage to reach the hallowed status of 10 miles. That suited me fine as with another shack score at Garscadden in prospect, it was time to leave 334005 to go on its merry way eastwards. 334010 was the next up and again, it was only a small distance needed before yet another 334 would join the ever-growing membership of The Ten Mile Club. That was achieved by Dalmuir where I noted that Mark was still photting various EMUs. Given the hour, we both decided that it was time to call it a day and think about a supplies raid, meeting up with Rex and eventually accessing our digs for the night. A conveniently placed 320416 took us to Westerton and this 320 imposter cleared 10 miles in the process. In the four-minute wait here, Mark managed a few station shots before 334017+334026 rolled in. Excellent news on my part as 334026 would top ten miles by the time we would alight at Queen Street Low Level.

With supplies firmly in the bag, we headed back to Queen Street and joined drone 170403 for the run over to Haymarket. We soon located Rex who appeared to have a good day – he’d bagged the missing 158 at Inverness and once he had come south, had had a good session in the Edinburgh area. We booked into our usual digs close to Haymarket station where Rex regaled us with his exploits of the afternoon and evening in Edinburgh. Amongst other things, he’d managed to bag a very new DRS 68 on flasks at Slateford and his last Scottish 156 at Haymarket as well as a light engine move of a 73/9. I looked back on my day and the winner rate was definitely on the up with three more Inverness 158s under the belt, my last real 320 and another faux-320 as well as 15 Clockwork Oranges (I do not count the 200-series unpowered trailers). Throw in several new recruits to the 800 Chain Club and some new shacks as well and it was a pretty good day.

Could I build on the exploits of Day 2 and bring even more success with Day 3?

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that was a good day! Good grief a busy one there, and I'm glad to see more people are learning the horrors of the Droners!

Someone needing 158702 shocks me as it's Ultra Dud here, having had it way too many times now. 723 disgraced itself and failed last time I had a chance to score it, I even changed plans especially for it and was bowled out!

Kite's done Forres and will be back for it again when it is rebuilt, I'll be doing the line again when HSTs start up there and, of course, I need all the shacks between Inverness and Aberdeen so I'm not fussed about not having done it yet.

Far north 37

Established Member
great read especially as its all my old stomping grounds sadly the services round there still seem to be suffering delays everywhere been happening since ages now.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I believe the new alignment & station at Forres is on the former avoiding lines, to boost line speed. Giving me some issues in how to do both the new track & station, as it will probably be an overnight stay in Inverness to get it using the early morning Elgin - Inverness shorts.

A good read Mr Keith :)

Far north 37

Established Member
I believe the new alignment & station at Forres is on the former avoiding lines, to boost line speed. Giving me some issues in how to do both the new track & station, as it will probably be an overnight stay in Inverness to get it using the early morning Elgin - Inverness shorts.

A good read Mr Keith :)

i believe the line from aberdeen to inverurie is meant to be dualled eventually and a new station at inverness airport and not sure about it but possible new track elsewhere on the line might be a busy day getting all that in too.

woodhouse122

Great reading the scottish bash write up,only just returned from doing a spirit of scotland and i'm itching to get back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.