• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keith goes wandering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow you have been very busy lately! Welcome to the club on the 175s and 220s, and well done for clearing the 185s too. Some exceptional progress had across the board lately, although I am amazed you needed Linford Street Viaduct/Curve, been dud for either 10 or 11 years here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Just caught up with this thread again. Cracking read Mr KJ.

Congrats on all the clearances and them clearance cannons, have certainly been blasting off at regular intervals.

My eyes light up when you go briefly nostalgic amongst your trip reports, the tale of the pair of 76s on the farewell tour is one i' d dearly like to hear.

Some great trips in there too, shame the 37 you were after in Anglia, was on the naughty step. Like I keep saying 37s for haulage on main line passenger services are not to be sniffed at in this day n age. The Cats are a modern day joy to behold, can't wait for them on the trans pennine turns.

Anyhoo, thanks for making my morning and evening bus commutes, a lot more bearable. Nice to have the elder statesman back.

Last edited:

Established Member
Not in any way surprising but they were some excellent reads.
As always, it's nice to read moves from my local area and you've given me a few ideas for future months.
Great stuff!

Keith Jarrett

12 September 2017 – “We Gotta’ Get out of This Place”

Again, we have a musical reference for a trip report. While We Gotta’ Get out of This Place has been covered by many artists over the years, the original performance was credited to Eric Burden and the Animals. The band started out in the 1960s and are still going today, hail from Newcastle-upon-Tyne so guess where we are headed today?

Leaving home around an hour later than is usual, I made my way up to Morden station where it seemed as though the rush hour was in full swing even though my watch said 07:00. 51644+51722 formed the first train out and the usual cross-platform interchange at Stockwell deposited me onto 11035+11036. It took a few seconds for the penny to drop but 11036 was my lowest mileage 2009ts half set so the 5.23 miles to Kings Cross were very welcome and allowed 11004 to assume the dubious mantle of being my lowest mileage 2009ts.

Arriving on the concourse at Kings Cross with about fifteen minutes to spare, I found that my train was already platformed. Ah, good! No need to loiter on the concourse or aimlessly wander around. Instead I made for the black and orange HST as today we were having a trip with Grand Central – power cars 43423+43465 were officiating for the journey to Sunderland and I was booked all the way through to the Wearside City. The name of the game was not acquiring Grand Central HST mileage although as GC’s HSTs are on notice for disposal, additional mileage is not to be sneezed at. No, there was a little itch that needed to be scratched in the form of a short piece of track only covered by GC in the normal course of affairs, namely the 64 chains from Stockton Cut Junction to Hartburn Junction. I’d been in the area countless times, even on several railtours but this little bit had eluded me. Until today that is.

The journey north was uneventful with absolutely nothing of note apart from the aforementioned piece of track needing the application of the highlighter in my trusty old Bakers when I reached home. The totter up the coast from Eaglescliffe reminded me that I still needed some shacks in this part of the world but that would be for another day (and another year probably). After three and a half hours on the GC HST, I alighted at the final destination of Sunderland where my transport mode was set to change for the next seven or so hours. I was about to have another excursion on the Tyne & Wear Metro. From now on, I’ll simply list out my moves with any notes of consequence.

First up was to get the remaining shacks south of the Tyne (and track to South Shields) cleared
4039+4055 Sunderland to East Boldon – shack score (1)
4027+4081 East Boldon to Seaburn – both units needed and another shack score (2)
4038+4062 Seaburn to Brockley Whins – shack score number three
4033+4088 Brockley Whins to Pelaw
4018+4021 Pelaw to Jarrow – shack score number four plus 4018 scored (3)
4036+4041 Jarrow to Hebburn
4019+4053 Hebburn to South Shields – shack score (5) and track completed for the branch
4019+4053 South Shields to Simonside – shack score (6)
4017+4075 Simonside to Chichester – shack score number seven
4017+4075 Chichester to Tyne Dock – shack score number eight and South Shields branch cleared
4078+4080 Tyne Dock to Pelaw
4006+4012 Pelaw to Felling – 4012 scored
4044+4077 Felling to Pelaw – 4077 in the book!
4040+4083 Pelaw to Central – doing well with 4083 suitably red-penned
Took a quick break as needed a PNB upstairs plus a stock up on supplies
4056+4060 Central to Ilford Road – shack score (9)
4024+4045 Ilford Road to North Shields – Both units scored plus shack plus track
4015+4079 North Shields to Tynemouth – 4015 scratched plus shack score number eleven
4034+4042 Tynemouth to St James – all coast loop now scratched for track plus shack score
4034+4042 St James to Wallsend – shack score no 13
I knew that a double set was behind but found it difficult to work out how far. In the end, I judged it right for
4025+4066 Wallsend to Monument – double unit score. That’s 11 from 19 T&W requirements out of the way and I knew that there was at least one more pair out plus anything chucked out of the depot on the rush hour extras. Monument was technically a shack score (14) as high & low level platforms constitute different stations in my book. Straight down the stairs onto
4032+4070 Monument to Gateshead – unit score with 4070 (no 12)
4026+4047 Gateshead to Monument – all rush hour extras covered so only one pair running left to get
4087+4089 Monument to South Gosforth – double unit score (nos 13 & 14 for the day)
4032+4070 South Gosforth to Benton - Shack score
4043+4048 Benton to Four Lane Ends – Shack score (16)
Then things went terribly wrong. Train pulls out of Four Lane Ends and a few minutes later another rolls in, only for the driver to announce “All Change, defective overheads at Longbenton. This train is not going anywhere.”. Everyone troops off and starts walking. “We gotta get out of this place” so I fire up Google Maps and discover that South Gosforth is about 30 minutes’ walk away - I end up following the crowds and arrive at South Gosforth somewhat later than planned. No chance of getting the final bit of track now (the Airport Branch) so instead –
4024+4046 South Gosforth to Haymarket – I dashed upstairs and locate the nearby Spoons (score) as I need a drink plus a PNB!
4033+4088 Haymarket to Central
Tyne & Wear bash over with more track scored – only the Airport branch left and a fistful of shacks and winning units also scored.

Back to the proper railway and having sourced supper from Sainsburys, it was VTECs 43251+43367 that ro0lled into Newcastle station to take me home. After spending over seven hours charging around the Metro network, I was more than content to have a rest as well as devouring supper. I also had plenty of time for the after-trip reflections. Before I set out, I was sort of aiming to reduce the number of Metro units by half so ten would have been good – to go away needing only five having covered every working is excellent (I scored 14). Three Metro units were under one mile and I did not see any of those although to be fair one of the trio is 4002 which I understand has been out of traffic for some time. On the track front, all is now in the book apart from the Airport branch and what of the Metro shacks? I arrived wanting 38 and managed 16 so hopefully another visit will see most the remaining shacks fall. I should not forget though, the all-important piece of track that was scored on the way up – yet another piece of the jigsaw in place.

The train lost a few minutes along the way so that by Peterborough we were about six down. He driver must have been on his way home as we were treated to a storming run. Even with a Stevenage stop, we managed to arrive at Kings Cross one early. 2009ts 11073+11074 took me south to Stockwell and a swift change onto 51584+51585 saw me arrive at Morden a mere 37 minutes after disembarking at Kings Cross. That’s the first time in quite a while I have made it back to base in theoretical minimum time. Well done to London Underground.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The big question, declassified FC coach on the Grand Central HST? ;)

A very productive day on the Tyne & Wear Metro, shame on the farce at the end of the day with the overhead wiring getting damaged at Longbenton

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that was a very productive day on Metro for you! I've cleared all the track and shacks, but still need 8 of the sets, two of which have never been seen by me either. One day...

Established Member
Congrats on putting a big dint in the Metro. Think the metro cars are due for replacement, they're constantly breaking down nowadays, plenty talk about it, no action as yet though. They do my head in at the best of times, so I admire your tenacious desire to get as much done as you did.

Not a spoons but I recommend the Forth on Pink Lane, mere 5 mins walk from Central, when you come back for the rest of your requirements. Took blindtraveller and tech there when they were on their ALR.

According to the news today, a local MP has reportedly sent a strongly worded letter to Network Rail for a new station for Sunderland, to be built elsewhere in the city, saying the current one is embarrassing and doesn't represent the city. In fairness she's telling the truth, its a horrid dingey hole and the stations awful too, it makes Snow Hill look celubrious and the Bat Cave almost palatial. Maybe if she'd ever had the joys of 37's blasting their guts out with a load 9 departure, leaving the place with a blue hue hanging over it, as we waved good bye, laughing, maybe, just maybe she may think slightly different.

As ever a great read Mr KJ.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I can confirm that Spoon Goons superior choice of watering whole is worth the 3 extra minutes compared to the 2 it takes to come out of Central and reach spoons. A great local city pub with local customers and atmosphere, oh and Red Label, a very nice surprise as many pubs round here don't keep it as its a blend rather than a mault and other than at Xmas its a tough ol bottle to get hold of.

Tech informs me the beer selection is also well kept and worth it, I no longer drink beer of any kind prefering a small quantity of cider and a generous one of Spirits with the odd white wine for veriety.

Nicely done on the Metro (need it all) and the Durham Coast (need that too) and I looooooooooooove the musical title!

Keith Jarrett

It'd been a long time (too long) since I posted anything on my own thread. That's mainly due to business activities taking up so much of my spare time. Well, I have to juggle protecting the pension and also keeping the sideline going so that I have something worthwhile to do once the pension starts paying out. Nevertheless, I managed to keep on the rails if only by dint of the daily commute and a few odd trips thrown in for good measure.

I finished off the standard "bashing trips" of 2017 with a trip to the Manchester area which managed to bag me some new shacks, several new trams but most importantly, some annoying bits of track. During the day I bagged the southern entry to Manchester Airport (Heald Green South to West), Hadfield via Glossop as I had only ever recorded the mainline through Woodhead and the Hazel Grove Cord. I also sorted the Airport branch of Metrolink.

But my final trip of 2017 was UK Railtours Powerhouse which sorted out loads of little odds and ends in Yorkshire that were code red in my Bakers. Train engine 59201 was definitely a winner but assisting engine 60044 was dud from many years previously.

November and December saw me starting to make inroads into the 707s and at the year end only one runner eluded me. At the beginning of 2017 I predicted 275 winners of one description or another - I ended up with ...... (drum roll) ...... 275!

Talking of winners, 2018's forecast is 200. Let's see how good my forecasting is!

January dawned and that elusive 707 fell but more had entered traffic - these gradually fell over the coming weeks such that only three are still to be sampled.

The highlight of January was UK Railtours Thames Trumper where I finally managed to get to say "Hi" to legendary shack scratcher, the one and only Kite159 of this parish. Plenty of code red in the Bakers sorted during the day with Brentford being the only dud. Both locos were winners so welcome 59204 and 66122 to The Haulage Book. I also managed a little bash on the Great Western beforehand - five winning 387s in the book!

February's score were limited to a trio of 707s and a fistful of previously unrecorded carriages and March might have ended up the same way but UK Railtours Valley of the Witch provided some new track and loops along with a winning 66. Then I had a day trip down to Bristol towards the end of the month and a brace of HST power cars fell for MTU engines. Also Thameslink started to put newer 700/0s out on my morning commute so welcome winners there.

April will be a write off - no outings planned but there should be a few days on the rails at the end of may and then, "yippee", it'll be summer and more trips & winners.

Back soon (ish).

noddy1878

Established Member
Good to hear things are still ticking along. I haven't posted anything on my reports for ages, just don't have time! At least there is a chance of winners on your commute! Well done on the tours. I've not got any tours in the pipe line at all for the first half of this year at least!

Keith Jarrett

Had a quick spin out on Saturday 7th - the objective was to view a secondhand book collection near Forest Hill and to pick up some secondhand books from Knebworth.

Journey over to Forest Hill was rather mundane. Northern Line to Balham, Southern to Crystal Palace and Sideways Travel train to Forest Hill. Viewed the collection in Forest Hill - mainly antiquarian stuff which I don't deal in but I did come away with 16 books that were of interest. That was 16 more than I was planning to pick up as the vendor was quite clear previously that it was a viewing! So had to lug 16 hardbacks up to Knebworth when I was planning on going up empty! Anyway, a Southern 455 took me to London Bridge before the Northern whisked me up to Kings Cross. I had over an hour to get to Knebworth for my appointment so had options. But the contents of platform 10 decided my options - I was not letting a winning 700 go and after a short wait, 700057 was added to The Haulage Book, albeit on a Bus Stop Bash to Finsbury Park. 365524 was my horse forward to Knebworth which was also a welcome entry in the notebook as that cleared for 10 miles. I located the house in Knebworth - all of a few minutes walk from the station - and came away with a load more books. Just left the dross and the "coffee table books" behind for the vendor to donate to the local charity shop. My rucksack was overloaded as was the suitcase that I was using to transport most of my gains. I made it back to the platforms at Knebworth (no ramp or lift, just stairs) without doing too much injury to myself and waited for the next Kings Cross train which duly appeared and caused a missed heartbeat or two. Purely by chance, I had fallen into one of my last two 365s. 365518 was a very welcome entry into The Haulage Book as my 40th 365 and leaving just 365540 to go. My journey home was courtesy of the Victoria Line and Northern Line. A successful few hours out on all fronts but the two unexpected and unplanned winners were extremely welcome!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good trip to Knebworth to pick up some books, good news also on getting down to a single 365 (and another RLU 700 into your book)

Established Member
Well, it's very nice to read a report from Keith - I've missed them.
Looks like a nice productive little move; winners on obligatory moves have an extra frisson to those that are planned in my opinion.
Fingers crossed 365540 appears for you soon, at least it's even numbered so should be retained.

Keith Jarrett

After what seems like a day and an age since I last went out for a proper trip, I ended up going out on two consecutive days for full-day bashes! Thankfully, The Haulage Book has not been devoid of entries with the daily commute and the odd domestic trip throwing up a few winners (plus a lot of new carriages). Before the meltdown on May 20th, Thameslink had been providing me a good number of winning 700/0s on the commute such that by Meltdown Day, I was only missing four. And of these four, I was only aware of two of them having been in traffic.

Before those two full-day outings, I had a trip down to Eastleigh to view another second-hand book collection (which I eventually bought). I “bunny-hopped” my way down to Eastleigh in order to maximise the number of winning carriages so the route was Wimbledon-Surbiton- Woking-Basingstoke-Winchester-Eastleigh. As I was clear on South Western 455s and 456s – even for carriages, I did not expect anything on the Wimbledon-Surbiton leg. How wrong was I? I only managed to fall into one of the 707 workings to Hampton Court which yielded a winning 707030. Bit of a Brucie bonus there and that more than compensated for me getting soaked in Eastleigh later on.

Wednesday May 30th was to be the first of my two days out “playing trains”. First up in my sights were any 345s that might be found out working but I ended up getting a little distracted. I’d seen (and had) my last 378 in 5-car format only three days previously but barely had managed a mile with it let alone the preferred 10 miles so I hoped that it was still around on the East London Line. No signs of it but instead following one another around were my last DC-only 378s that had yet to breach the 10-mile barrier. An hour or two later and 378137 and 378150 had been added to the Ten Mile Club. That just leaves a good few 378/2s to get up to 10 miles or more.

Over to the Great Eastern and 345s seemed rather thin on the ground. I was trying to confine myself to Liverpool Street to Stratford leaps just in case anything else tempting materialised. My first winner was not even a 345 but 360102 (one GE “Dessie” down, one to go). Soon after I fell into 345011 and immediately afterwards 345010. A short while later and 345008 reared its ugly head which dropped me nicely onto 360108 and my last GE “Dessie” so I took the liberty of sounding the CCC (Class Clearance Cannons to the uninitiated). Not wanting to hang around for the evening peak and the off-chance that more 345s appear, I thought that I’d try my hand at Thameslink. In around four hours, I managed to bag a reasonable haul of FLU 700s – a sub-class that I had not travelled on in either 2017 or thus far in 2018. I was able to let 700124, 700136, 700152, 700102, 700149, 700147, 700135, 700117, 700148 and 700132 enjoy the pleasures of my red pen. Other dud 700/1s were also sampled as fill in moves.

Not all of my journeys were confined to the core as I managed to make several visits to East Croydon. I’d also seen 700058 out and about on Wimbledon loop services but I always seemed to be travelling to or from Croydon when it was traversing the core. Towards the end of the day, I was waiting at London Bridge when winning 700055 magically appeared on a southbound service so that was duly boarded to East Croydon for my fourth visit of the day where I fell into 387206+387218 on a Brighton-Victoria service (as in previous timetables, many evening Brighton line "stopping" services are formed of red 387s). 387206 was the only 387/2 that was already red-penned but under the ten mile barrier, a conundrum that a quick trip to Clapham Junction solved. I checked on the whereabouts of 700058 and saw that it was heading south from St Albans onto the Sutton loop. I had about 45 minutes to get to Mitcham Eastfields to intercept it so a couple of fill-in moves that involved bagging more Southern 455 cars saw me waiting at Balham for 377137+377306+377327 round to Mitcham Eastfields where after a short fester, ‘twas only four minutes, saw me red pen 700058 and head home via Sutton to St Helier.

Not a bad day out day out and letting the red pen rip on seventeen different occasions was pretty good in my books especially as my last two 360s fell by the wayside. OK, I still need two RLU 700s (059 and 060) but I am not aware that they are in traffic yet and at last I have started out on getting the shed load of required FLU 700s in what is supposedly difficult times with Thameslink’s inability to run even a meltdown timetable. When
(sorry if) Thameslink come out of meltdown mode, I might find a few hours to go chasing a few more 700/1s.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I dread to think how long it takes you to get those 378s above 10 miles, they are not the fastest of services.

I gather for all those 700/1s it was bus stop leaps within the core to get them into the book, or did you have many trips to sunny East Croydon to clear them for 10 once and for all? A good day with the red pen, but I'm surprised you are making a start with the 345s when they are only 7-carriages and not waiting until they become full length 9 carriage units

Keith Jarrett

I dread to think how long it takes you to get those 378s above 10 miles, they are not the fastest of services.
Just done a check, and it's nine 378s left to go for 10 miles

I gather for all those 700/1s it was bus stop leaps within the core to get them into the book, or did you have many trips to sunny East Croydon to clear them for 10 once and for all?
Not all in the core - there were several trips to Croydon. And I made sure that any trips in the core on required stuff was over one mile

A good day with the red pen, but I'm surprised you are making a start with the 345s when they are only 7-carriages and not waiting until they become full length 9 carriage units
Under my rules, a 7-car 345 and a 9-car 345 is a completely different unit hence why I am already starting on the 7-car units. In fact if any unit gets reformed, the mileage is reset to zero. The Southern 455s have been extremely difficult to keep track of as some have been reformed several times over the years

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just done a check, and it's nine 378s left to go for 10 miles

Not all in the core - there were several trips to Croydon. And I made sure that any trips in the core on required stuff was over one mile

Under my rules, a 7-car 345 and a 9-car 345 is a completely different unit hence why I am already starting on the 7-car units. In fact if any unit gets reformed, the mileage is reset to zero. The Southern 455s have been extremely difficult to keep track of as some have been reformed several times over the years

Just be careful with the 175s & 158/9s as they have been known to be reformed.

Keith Jarrett

Just be careful with the 175s & 158/9s as they have been known to be reformed.
Fully aware of the farce with the 175s - I still need one of them in original formation! I have also seen 158/9s running in various formations and I know that I have to contend with various 221s having been reformed. The list is endless .....

Keith Jarrett

Fast forward a mere 11 hours and I am out on the road again. London Underground did a sterling job of getting me to Paddington – today’s target was anything Great Western that was required. 800020+800035 were first in my sights so I duly bagged my first members of the class. A signal failure in Sonning Cutting resulted in a rubbish journey to Reading – and that’s not the first time I have experienced a signal failure on the down road at that point. Wanting to keep moving, 387153 was nabbed on the shortish leap to Twyford for 387162+387173 back to Reading. Wanting some more 800 action, 800013+800034 returned me up the Great Western Main Line to Paddington. Now we had a signal failure on the approaches to Paddington!

On arrival at Paddington, 387166 was taken to Ealing Broadway for mileage requirement 360204 back to Paddington via some new track – the Acton Dive Under. That signal failure now worked to my advantage as 800019+800022 were marginally late leaving, thus enabling me to scramble aboard just as the platform staff were “blowing up” the train. The Sonning Cutting signal failure appeared to be fixed with a straight run into Reading where my next leap was on dud pair 387133+387139. My reason for doing this leap was to enrol 387139 into The Ten Mile Club as it will not be long before it will become rather costly to acquire decent mileage off the early GWR 387/1s. It was back to Twyford again and a quick trot over the footbridge saw winners 387150+387164 enter The Haulage Book.

A little fester at Reading then ensued as there was absolutely nothing that needed red-pen treatment so it was left to 387154+387156 to save the day for another spin out to Twyford. 387159+387161 duly returning me to Reading with ‘161 joining other privileged classmates in The Ten Mile Club. I still, embarrassingly needed a few shacks along the GWML between Paddington and Reading and saw an opportunity to grab all three with what I thought was relative ease. 387141+387168 were an ideal way to get to Langley. 387141 was especially significant as that was the final 387/1 required by me from the batch designated to be moved over to Heathrow Express work in due course. A 10 minute wait at Langley saw me leap aboard 387144+387172 for the onward bus stop bash to Iver. Another short wait and it was 387152 keeping forum celebrity 387174 company that took me to Hayes & Harlington. A rather tempting 345 was sat in the bay; that saw me deserting the 387s in favour of 345014 for a trundle to West Ealing with winner number 20 of the day.

But I was not finished with winners and a quick leap over the footbridge saw me bag 345015 back to Southall. A late running 360201 saw the normally easy +6 at winning shack Hanwell go down the pan so I had a 23 minute fester. A nearby shop was visited to source additional liquid matter and that managed to waste some of the time before 360203 conveyed me to Ealing Broadway. Winning pair 387151+387160 were right behind for a leap into Paddington. I was at Brunel’s London terminal for all of one minute as a handy cross platform interchange put me onto 387132+387136 straight out again – 387136 being another low-mileage machine. Taking it to Southall pushed it through the requisite 10 mile barrier.

Crossing over to the up lines at Southall, 345015 appeared for a second spin of the day, this time back to Ealing Broadway. Here a late running winning pair of 387167+387169 showed up for a run into Paddington where I thought about calling it a day after 25 winners. Now what route do I take home? Let’s go via Victoria and see what red 387 action could be had on the evening Brighton trains. 15 minutes later and I was at Victoria to witness the arrival of 387209+387226 forming the first stopping 387 service of the day. Only one place to go with winner number 26 of the day and that was East Croydon so as to get 226 into The Ten Mile Clubas soon as possible. Thameslink was in its usual mess and while a winning 700122 presented itself, I rejected it as it was stuck in the platform as the driver did not know whether he could go via London Bridge. Instead, I made an exit on 387201+387205 back up to Clapham Junction and then doubled back with 455841+455843 to get me to Balham so that I could drop on to the Northern Line and head home.

So, what of today? 26 winners proved to be an amazing haul – my original thoughts had me trundling up and down the Thames Valley on a few more 800s. But the 387s were very welcome reducing my 387/1 requirements from 27 down to a far more respectable 10. There’s still a long way to go with the 800s but that’s something for another time. And mention needs to be made of another 13 members of The Ten Mile Club so the stats are all heading in the right direction!
The bagging of my last three shacks on the Thames Valley mainline was also an extremely welcome addition to the day’s tally; this leaves just a few intermediate shacks on the Greenford branch and the odd outlier of Wargrave on the Henley branch to get in the Thames Valley.
As for the next trip, I am not sure when that will be but whenever it is, I’ll report back on how I get on.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A productive day, and it is better to get the 387s in when they are easier to grab when working stopping services before the 345s take over.

Greenford branch is easy enough to do, handy shop outside Castle Bar Park.

Established Member
Nice to read the Trips & Planning's Elder Statesman is back on the rails again. 2 Great reads Keith along with the lesser spotted, large flashes of red in your trip reports too, bet it feels good, to be out n about, wielding the red pen, with a few more opportunities, rather than just mileage requirements.

ash39

Established Member
A good read as always. A hell of a lot of winners for one day by your standards!

Established Member
A couple of excellent reads, as expected.
I presume the second day was the 31st of May, I was out on the same bit of track for the following three days, doing some of the same units to the same stations you did.

Keith Jarrett

A couple of excellent reads, as expected.
I presume the second day was the 31st of May, I was out on the same bit of track for the following three days, doing some of the same units to the same stations you did.

Mr 13, yes, it was May 31st when I was pounding up and down the GWML.

Things have been pretty barren since then - only one SWR 707 seeing the red pen. But then with the Thameslink meltdown, travel opportunities on the Wimbledon loop are severely curtailed for me - the daily commute is now by (comparatively) reliable Southern. the Electrocart mileage is in ascendancy and plenty of winning carriages to get there.

Keith Jarrett

June almost ended up being a bleak month on the bashing front with many competing priorities. In the end, all I ended up with was a fistful of new carriages that I gathered up on the daily commute along with a further winning South Western 707 - 707021. That left just one, 707022 which fell in the opening days of July so there was a firing of the Class Clearance Cannons. The first Saturday in July saw me heading to West Ealing to follow up a tip-off that a charity shop had a good number of railway books for sale. Amongst the varying conveyances used to get to/from West Ealing, winner 345013 featured in The Haulage Book. Oh, and I left with a large number of books in exchange for a donation of well over £50 to the British Heart Foundation.

Although a lot of bashing has fallen by the wayside this year, the now annual excursion to Scotland was not going to become yet another casualty. As ever, it would be my friends Rex and Mark who would accompany me on what proved to be quite a successful trip for all of us. Here’s the moves and I’ll set out the achievements from each move

Wednesday 11th July
390020 Euston to Glasgow Central - another 390 into The 1,000 Mile Club.
318265+320322 Glasgow Central to Cambuslang - 318265 into The Ten Mile Club
318270+320316 Cambuslang to Glasgow Central - 320316 still needs a bit more for The Ten Mile Club
156507 Glasgow Central to Nitshill - 156507 into The Ten Mile Club and Nitshill was a new shack
156507 Nitshill to Kennishead – another new shack (Kennishead)
156430 Kennishead to Barrhead
156430 Barrhead to Pollokshaws West - 156430 into The Ten Mile Club
156496 Pollokshaws West to Glasgow Central
156494 Glasgow Central to Hairmyres - 156494 = WINNER plus shack score of Hairmyres
156494 Hairmyres to Glasgow Central - 156494 into The Ten Mile Club
380019 Glasgow Central to Paisley Gilmore Street - 380019 into The Ten Mile Club
314212 Paisley Gilmore Street to Glasgow Central - 314212 into The Ten Mile Club and thus all sixteen 314s cleared for 10 miles
380010 Glasgow Central to Paisley Gilmore Street - 380010 into The Ten Mile Club
314208 Paisley Gilmore Street to Hillington West - Shack score for Hillington West
380012 Hillington West to Glasgow Central - 380012 joins The Ten Mile Club
380012+380103 Glasgow Central to Paisley Gilmore Street - And now 380012 joins company with WINNER 380103
380113 Paisley Gilmore Street to Glasgow Central - 380113 = WINNER
156501+156503 Glasgow Central to Busby - 156501 & 156503 both join The Ten Mile Club
156439+156462+156506 Busby to Glasgow Central 156439 & 156506 both join The Ten Mile Club
170429 Glasgow Queen Street to Falkirk High
170428+170434 Falkirk High to Haymarket

Well, that was not a bad start although I am sure LSG will note that there was far more action on the mileage front rather than with the red pen wielding but that was just the way the cookie crumbled as they say. The highlight of today has to be the winning 156 as that only leaves one Scotrail 156 left to get. Wither 156505? But equally important were four more shack scores and numerous more recruits to The Ten Mile Club. We cannot forget the two winning 380s either - far more success than last year with this particular class! And last of all, I treated myself to a sounding of the Class Clearance Cannon for 314212 which saw all 314s into The Ten Mile Club.

As soon as I can get things properly written up, I will share the delights of days 2, 3 & 4 with you all.

Last edited:

Established Member
Firstly Mr KJ I sincerely apologise. I didn't mean it like it came across:oops: My turn of phrase, didnt mean I was bored reading about it, in fact you couldnt be further from the truth, it adds a new dimension to the hobby. I merely meant your idea has seen more than a few people follow your lead. I'm not bored reading about it, similar to all who do shack scratching, it intrigues me how much book work or data files you all have. Log books must be akin to an accountants book work. My bookwork is notebooks with numbers of stuff seen and moves made, where and when and I have 4 notebooks worth alone in a shoebox in the bottom of my wardrobe.

To your report, i'm sure the flashes of red pen will be a notable event but given your requirements, i was shocked to see a 156 among them.
Congrats on clearing the 314s for 10miles. I look forward to the next instalment.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A productive day in the Glasgow area Mr Keith :)

Good news on clearing the 707s, plus getting all the 314s into your 800 chain club :)

Status
Not open for further replies.