• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keith goes wandering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I was only yesterday wondering what had happened to forum legend Keith, so imagine my surprise to see a post from the good sir!

Glad to see you've managed a little bit of action this year, albeit brief. I've hardly done much myself on the rails, but that's been mostly personal choice. High time that changed!

Certainly you've had a lot on your plate lately, selling a property can't be an easy feat in this day and age. I bid you good fortune on that!

I've got the same sort of problem, on a different scale, of 'all work and no play' so I sympathise. Hopefully you can get out and about again properly soon!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Keith Jarrett

I was only yesterday wondering what had happened to forum legend Keith, so imagine my surprise to see a post from the good sir!

Glad to see you've managed a little bit of action this year, albeit brief. I've hardly done much myself on the rails, but that's been mostly personal choice. High time that changed!

Certainly you've had a lot on your plate lately, selling a property can't be an easy feat in this day and age. I bid you good fortune on that!

I've got the same sort of problem, on a different scale, of 'all work and no play' so I sympathise. Hopefully you can get out and about again properly soon!

Tech, it was good to see your re-emergence too!

At least the end of the day job is in sight so that I can concentrate on a) the relation programme - yes, goodbye to "The Smoke" and b) my now part time job of selling books - OK it does not pay as much but is far more rewarding than the Monday to Friday 9 to 5 treadmill. I should have that ultra valuable commodity called spare time for the odd excursion out and about. I might even have time to delve into the archives and share some more nostalgia with other members of this hallowed forum.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I did wonder if you were sampling the delights of the East Somerset Railway a few weeks ago.

Welcome back to the rails Mr Keith :)

Keith Jarrett

I did wonder if you were sampling the delights of the East Somerset Railway a few weeks ago.

Welcome back to the rails Mr Keith :)

Kite, thanks for the "welcome back" - You'll be pleased to hear that I'm already planning a few jaunts for the end of May.

The Somerset Strimmer was high on my list to do and when it came up, I made sure that diaries were kept very clear! While not new track as such, I had never done Filton Junction onto the Henbury line in that direction but had done Filton North Platform to Filton Junction no less than four times with a variety of DMU traction including a 117, 120 and thumper - around 45 years ago! I also managed two round trips with the kettle on the ESR getting all four coaches in the process. After that, I raided their bookshop, carefully sifting out the bargains etc. and ended up with two large bags of books to take home.

Keith Jarrett

Time to Head for the Hills – 27th May 2019

As my regular followers will know, I have been conspicuous by my absence of late in these parts. The twin joys of a full-time job plus running a small business in my spare time has left pitiful little time for bashing. 2019 has so far seen one bash (reported in these columns) and two railtours, one of which was a family outing.

But now that the need to protect my pension has come to an end, I hope that I will have more time on my hands although there are other things on the horizon too. But I will get out and about a bit more, even if it is only in around the capital now that I have an “Old Git’s Pass”.

The first of my trips coincided with the impending expiry of my annual season ticket which was purchased through Chiltern Trains in order that I could avail myself of their free weekend/Bank Holiday travel offer. Chiltern was one of those companies that I had neglected in recent years, despite it playing host to no less than 25% of the BR-built units that I still require. The other 15 being scattered all over the place and the list had recently grown to that number with the five latest ScotRail 321->320 conversions. So it was set that I’d start attacking Chiltern on Monday 27th – why a bank holiday? Well, an event at Wembley Stadium saw a full Saturday timetable along with extras so a good chance that my requirements might show up. I also wanted to attack a few shacks served by Chiltern, particularly those not covered by any rover before I had no need for a season ticket.

I rocked up to Marylebone and fell straight into a requirement after all of five minutes - basically the time it took me to get from the Bakerloo platforms to the far end of platform 2 at the 'bone.

165003+165009 Marylebone to Rickmansworth. Shack score at Ricky as well (only done it off the underground previously).
165029 Rickmansworth to Harrow on the Hill.
165035 Harrow on the Hill to Amersham. Another shack score.
165026+165028 Amersham to Chorleywood. Shack score – that’s the Met line shacks cleared for national rail usage.
165029 Chorleywood to Wendover. Shack score.
165035 Wendover to Great Missenden. Shack score.
165030 Great Missenden to Aylesbury Vale Parkway. My last 3-car 165 and a shack score as well, clearing the Amersham route shacks as well. Worryingly, one of my required 165s was sunning itself, all on its own, on Aylesbury sidings. Any thoughts of clearing my 165s went out of the window.
165030 Aylesbury Vale Parkway to Aylesbury.
165023+165025 Aylesbury to Saunderton. Shack score
165003+165009 Saunderton to Monks Risborough. Those two again! At least it was a shack score.
165003+165009 Monks Risborough to Seer Green and Jordans. Another shack falls.
165037 Seer Green and Jordans to Princes Risborough. Cleared for 10 miles.
165010+165022 Princes Risborough to Saunderton. A fill in move.
165012+165020 Saunderton to Little Kimble. Shack score.
165012+165020 Little Kimble to High Wycombe. 165020 now over the ten-mile threshold.
168107 High Wycombe to Thame & Haddenham Parkway.
168109 Thame & Haddenham Parkway to High Wycombe. Last proper 168 over 10 miles.
172101+172102+172104 High Wycombe to Wembley Stadium. 101 and 102 cleared for 10 miles. Plenty of staff around trying to marshall intending travellers so I got out fairly quickly.
165003+165009 (those two yet again) had picked up a friend! Praise the Lord, 165017 had been rescued from its sojourn on Aylesbury sidings to keep the “terrible twins” company so the move was
165003+165009+165017 Wembley Stadium to High Wycombe. 165s cleared along with Chiltern DMUs – only a few needed now for membership of the Ten Mile Club. The Class Clearance Cannons were well and truly dusted off. They sounded rather loud!
168112+168329 High Wycombe to Islip. Back to that old game of shack scoring.
168001+168321 Islip to Bicester Town/Village. Another shack score (and the final one of the day).
168112+168329 Bicester Town/Village to High Wycombe.
168323 High Wycombe to Wembley Stadium. Still too much officialdom around for my liking so got out fairly swiftly again on
165009+165017 Wembley Stadium to Marylebone (what happened to 165003?).

I’d seen a couple of my half dozen Chiltern Mileage requirements, but I’d lost track where they had got to, so I called it a day. Well, I’d had a good time – five 165s bagged and a few mileage needs on top as well. No complaints on my part as from the outset, I’d have been surprised if all five 165s fell. But for once the stars were aligned and yes, I was pleasantly surprised. So 14 BR-era units left to get (3*150, 3*153, 2*156, 1*158, 5*320, 1*365)

On the shack front, very few Chiltern shacks are still needed – four from memory and of those, Denham Golf Club is the nearest by a long stretch to London. I did try to incorporate it into my travels but no luck.

Next trip is only a couple of days away. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Bicester Village ;)

Congrats on clearing the Chiltern Turbos, not the easiest to clear due to some not serving anything within the zones (first stop the Cross of Gerrard).

I can remember doing something similar a few years ago using additional Wembley calls, it isn't somewhere you want to be hanging around for long.

But at least with your freedom pass, I gather those 710/717s will be on your target list, maybe with a random trip to Stevenage if you find that 365 working (assuming it isn't one of the off-lease ones)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent. :smile:
I’m subscribed to your thread and whilst reading something else earlier I came across one of your posts and thought that it’d been a while since I’d read anything from you. Funny how that happens sometimes.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations on retirement Keith! Indeed, same on the 165s, that's quite an achievement considering how far the class spreads out and how little they stop within Travelcard zones. The lack of any useful rovers (those limited edition Chiltern day rangers they sold in I think 2015 were super useful, shame they never happened again) makes it so much harder!

I only had a short time available this morning to catch up on threads today, so when I saw your thread had new activity I was straight in there for the read!

Hope your next trip goes well, and even if it's just London-based stuff for a good while I'm sure I will not be the only one interested in the read!

Mills444

I can only extended my congratulations on both clearing the 165's (something which I doubt I will ever accomplish) and retirement and I hope you shall undertake an nice rest before undertaking any multi day trips in red pen heaven.

Keith Jarrett

Muddling around the Midlands – 29th May 2019

Less than 36 hours after my little escapade around the Chilterns, I was back out on the rails again. It felt very much like the old days!

This time, Euston was my London terminal as my intended trip was an unplanned saunter around the West Midlands. I had one particular unit in my sights and the avowed intention to grab anything other requirement that came my way.

350124 Euston to Rugby. Nothing special here, just a way out of London

350109+350246 Rugby to Coventry. Idea was to fester at Coventry for a while to see what showed. I did not have long to wait ….

350249 Coventry to Rugby. Winner! One 350 down, one left.

390104 Rugby to Coventry. For that planned fester. Nothing of interest after about an hour so

390148 Coventry to International. This was followed swiftly by

350114+350247 International to New Street. On arrival at New Street, I noted a pair of Tin Rockets over the far side. “Better go and investigate” I said to myself. Good move on Detective Inspector Keith’s part as I was on to my second winner of the day. Downside was a 25 minute wait until the pair left for Tech-ville. Nevertheless, as the doors were open, I made myself comfortable. Bit of a flap though as upon departure time, train crew could not get the doors to shut properly. Fitters summoned and after much fiddling in a cabinet behind the driver’s cab, train was pronounced fit to go. Phew!

153356+153366 New Street to Bromsgrove. A winning Tin Rocket to a winning shack as in my book, the new Bromsgrove is technically a new shack for me as it has been re-sited. Double bubble!

323215 Bromsgrove to University. Cleared for 10 miles and my first electric ride up the Lickey. And didn’t it fly! What bank? Slightly different to the ascent that I had back in 1979 with 31299 on load 9 and no banker available despite one being requested. That was one loud staggggger with the Pedal Car topping the bank at barely walking pace.

170635 University to New Street. A low mileage chariot and still not cleared for 10 miles. I did have thoughts on returning to University or even to Bromsgrove to up the mileage. But it was not to be as I was distracted by another 170 sitting in platform 4C. I wandered over to take a look.

170501+170508 New Street to Wolverhampton. Winner - my last West Midlands Trains 170 at long last. It was October 2015 when 170504 fell so a long enough wait. An hour’s fester at Wolverhampton showed up absolutely nothing of interest so the next move was -

170634 Wolverhampton to Codsall. Another 10 mile clearance with a new shack in the books. Wish I had more time here as the station pub looked interesting.

170513+170515 Codsall to Wolverhampton.

221114 Wolverhampton to New Street. Winner number 4 of the day. Despite New Street being in full rush hour, nothing remotely of interest then Transport for Wales came to the rescue

158825+158831 New Street to Smethwick Galton Bridge. Absolutely heaving with no working air con and a prolonged journey due a signal defect. Reminds of my commuting days. At least both 158s were now eligible to join the Ten Mile Club.

172344 Smethwick Galton Bridge to Olton. One of my lowest mileage WMT 172s heaved over the ten-mile threshold and a new shack to boot. A thirty second stay and out with

172214+172222 Olton to Moor Street. Last two-car WMT 172 over ten miles.

Walk to New Street via Tesco.

350237 New Street to International.

220022 International to Coventry. Another Vomit Comet over 10 miles. Yay.

350231 Coventry to Rugby. Delayed leaving Coventry as a mile-long freighliner was signalled through the station in front of the 350. My healthy plus 8 became a technical +1 at Rugby but the Pendo thing was behind and a it was a comfortable cross-platform +5 in the end.

390157 Rugby to Euston.

So, what of the day? OK, there was not the profusion of moves once associated with some of my trips. However, the target unit fell – that was 153366 if nobody hadn't already guessed. Along with the four outright winners (four different classes as well) which all gained Ten Mile Club membership, there were seven further additions as well. No need to contact the Complaints Department today, especially as three new shacks could be added as well.

There’s still one trip left for the May Madness session. My write up will follow once I have disentangled my notes.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations on a very productive trip there good sir! Loved the 'Tech-ville' comment, certainly made me smile!

For sure you could feel a much-missed passion in the report, the stresses of commuting and the graft being over were evident. I wonder where else you went!

Keith Jarrett

Wow. 4 red pens Mr KJ.
One did assume, the dog box was a major target of the day, congrats all round.

Indeed, the Skateboard/Dog Box/Tin Rocket was the main target. No. 2 target was also ensnared - 170508. There's still a few embarrassing gaps in my requirements but plans are being formulated to deal with those.

noddy1878

Established Member
Firstly congrats on the retirement! Great reports as usual. Chiltern units are one of the few tocs that has anything I need from the BR era too. As Tech mentioned the lack of any ranger makes it a slight pain!

Keith Jarrett

May Madness part 3 – Spicing it up in Manchester, 31st May 2019

“What’s this?”, I hear you saying. “KJ out on three trips in the space of five days? That's a throwback to 2015 or 2016!” OK, it’s taken me a little longer to write up the third one but it’s true, three trips in a week.

Making my way to Euston, I wondered what the day would hold. 390011 was kindly provided for my trip up to Stockport. Virgin have an irritating insistence of providing high mileage 390/0s for my trips out of London when all I want 390/1s. Ah well, more miles with my highest mileage wobble. The trip was uneventful, but I was certain that it could only get better.
390011 Euston to Stockport

I did not have long to fester at Stockport before 158773 arrived bound for Liverpool being pushed by 156404. Better climb aboard, we have a low mileage dude on our hands. My only previous trip with 404 being a Beeston to Nottingham Bus Stop Bash five years ago. Trouble was, I’d have to go to Warrington Central to clear it for ten miles (and twenty as well) so I bailed at Piccadilly, making a mental note to incept the pair later in the morning to get the job done.
156404+158773 Stockport – Manchester Piccadilly

158810+158858 appeared heading the opposite way and 158858 was another that was short on the necessary for membership of the Ten Mile Club. So straight back to Stockport was the name of the game. I had put out a request on the TOPS Requests page for my last four required Northern units (well one was a genuine Northern need, another was one I missed with Great Western and the final two were reformed units).
158810+158858 Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport

I had put out a request on the TOPS Requests page for my last four required Northern units (well one was a genuine Northern need, another was one I missed with Great Western and the final two were reformed units). It did not take long before 37078xotTE (thank you, kind sir) posted that one was resident in Doncaster Works – presumably being mated with a 21st Century lavatory and the other three were working. What’s more, I was about to meet one unit at Stockport!

A comfortable +10 turned in to the usual + something very small at Stockport for 142028 being piloted by reformed 150125. While I’d had 150125 in three car format as 150925 a few times, I’d never had it as a two-car. Until now that is. 142028+150125 were taken through to Bolton in order to well and truly clear the 150 for 10 miles.
142028+150125 Stockport - Bolton

One down and it would not be too difficult to get one of the others as I had about an hour to get to Victoria for it Here are the time-wasting moves.
142049 Bolton – Salford Crescent
142019+150206 Salford Crescent – Salford Central
142079+150110 Salford Central – Manchester Victoria
150215 Manchester Victoria - Salford Central
142028+150125 Salford Central – Manchester Victoria

I was now in pole position for the second winner of the day. It was with some relief that bang on cue a Skateboard appeared being dragged by a toiletless 150. Yes, my lords, I had scored!
150209+153358 Manchester Victoria – Bolton. New and immediately admitted to the Ten Mile Club. While I had managed to get most of the second generation multiple units that were scrapped before their time due to accidents etc., 150209 and 150212 evaded me.

Now it was time for my first electric train out of Bolton. The last time that I had encountered this unit was on 8 January 2015 when it was a Thameslink regular and it was on the daily commute.
319382 Bolton – Salford Crescent
Then a pair of Pacers took me on to Victoria
142031+142037 Salford Crescent - Manchester Victoria

Now it was time for a piece of new track. Yes, the new (ish) Ordsall Curve was about to fall into my lap .
185146 Manchester Victoria – Manchester Piccadilly

Now it was dilemma time. My last Northern 158 (and in fact my last 158) was working out of Leeds on the Little North Western over to Lancaster/Morecambe. I could comfortably intercept it at Shipley if I left now but getting it would occupy most of the rest of my day before I needed to head back home. The decision was made and it could wait another day. As the following moves show, the Membership Secretary of The Ten Mile Club was kept rather busy.
390128 Manchester Piccadilly - Stockport. Cleared for 10 miles
158810+158812 Stockport - Manchester Piccadilly. 158812 Cleared for 10 miles
323230 Manchester Piccadilly - Stockport. Cleared for 10 miles
323235 Stockport - Manchester Piccadilly. Cleared for 10 miles (last Northern 323 to join The Ten Mile Club
175104 Manchester Piccadilly – Newton-le-Willows. Cleared for 10 miles
175112 Newton-le-Willows - Manchester Piccadilly. Cleared for 10 miles
185151 Manchester Piccadilly - Manchester Airport. Cleared for 10 miles. My second lowest 185 which I’d only ever had from Oxford Road to Salford Crescent

I was now fully expecting either a long wait or to leave on a dud but in the event, it was neither. Having arrived on my second lowest mileage 185 I was about to leave on my lowest mileage 185!
185125 Manchester Airport - Manchester Piccadilly. Cleared for 10 miles. That leaves just two 185s to go before the whole class are members of that prestigious organisation, The Ten Mile Club.

Now in the absence of anything better to do, what about a little bit of shack bashing.
156421+156488 Manchester Piccadilly – Mauldeth Road. Shack score
323235 Mauldeth Road – Burnage. Another shack score!
319370 Burnage – Manchester Piccadilly

I had about an hour or so left before my train home and was not expecting a lot so just planned some time-wasting moves with a couple of Stockport leaps
150136 Manchester Piccadilly – Stockport
220032 Stockport - Manchester Piccadilly
175004 Manchester Piccadilly – Stockport. New – in its current formation of 175109 missing its centre car
158799+158856 Stockport - Manchester Piccadilly
158783+158854 Manchester Piccadilly – Stockport. 158854 cleared for 10 miles.

Time had run out and with under 20 minutes to go, I popped over the road to Sainsburys for a quick refuelling stop and then as they say, “after The Lord Mayor’s Show comes the dust cart”. Virgin excelled themselves again with their choice of Wobble for the run back to London
390049 Stockport to Euston. Dud for almost everything but at least it was not 390011 again.

Well, what did I think of the day? Three winners were not to be sniffed at even if 150209 and 175004 were simply reformed units. More importantly, two of the winners were former BR units which brings me down to needing just 6 DMUs (spread over four classes) and six EMUs before all ex-BR stuff is clear. Likewise, 12 new admissions into The Ten Mile Club did not prompt any calls to the Complaints Department. Two shack scores and a new bit of track as well, I came home happy. Just a pity that I could not contrive to run into 156404 again but that'll have to wait until I get over to East Midlands territory later in the year. That's becoming increasingly the front-runner for the destination of my next long-distance outing.

And what of the title? During the course of the day, there were an ever-increasing number of ladies travelling into Manchester with T-shirts proclaiming support for a particular girl band who were at their peak some 20 odd years ago. I think the same could be applied to many of the wearers of said T-shirts!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good trip to Manchester area Keith :) Well done on getting more units over the line to join the TMC, as well as some more musical 175 formations.

(BTW, could you use a slightly different shade of green as that lime green is a bit hard to read)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I concur with the honourable Kite, that green was burning my eyes! Made it really difficult to read the text and I must confess to not bothering after a few tries.

A very productive time in Manchester there, although I must disagree with the choice of not going for the 158. If it had been my last one, I'd have been there for it no question!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I concur with the honourable Kite, that green was burning my eyes! Made it really difficult to read the text and I must confess to not bothering after a few tries.

A very productive time in Manchester there, although I must disagree with the choice of not going for the 158. If it had been my last one, I'd have been there for it no question!

Depends as I would assume Keith was using a Wayfarer and going to Leeds to intercept that 158 on a run to Shipley would have cost extra.

Besides the 158s will be around for a while so they ain't on the endangered list.

Keith Jarrett

A good trip to Manchester area Keith :) Well done on getting more units over the line to join the TMC, as well as some more musical 175 formations.

(BTW, could you use a slightly different shade of green as that lime green is a bit hard to read)

Hopefully the fluorescent lime green has been moderated. Like the term "Musical 175 Formations".

I was agonising for a while but decided against in the end, not on the grounds of cost but more I was certain that I'd pick up more by staying around Manchester

Depends as I would assume Keith was using a Wayfarer and going to Leeds to intercept that 158 on a run to Shipley would have cost extra.

Besides the 158s will be around for a while so they ain't on the endangered list.

Indeed I was Wayfaring. Cost would not have been an issue but as you say, 158s are not an endangered species at the moment.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair enough, I'd have looked at it as it being the last one to complete my collection and would have had to get there for it. To be fair though, I don't do this 10 miles thing, or mileage in general these days, but it looks like you made the right call to satisfy your lists.

Never done a Wayfarer bash, but it is a ticket that would be insanely useful to try one day. Having had the relative freedom of a tram and train ticket for £9 on Metrolink recently, a Wayfarer would certainly allow more options for moves. Guess it depends if I'm getting there for a full day's bashing rather than half a day, in which case a GM Rail Ranger for £7 suits my needs far more. I don't do shack scoring these days, so all the extra validity is not all that necessary for me usually.

I did pick up on the hint that the East Midlands is being looked at for a future trip, I'll be keen (as always!) to read that one as it's an area I need to return to.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Fair enough, I'd have looked at it as it being the last one to complete my collection and would have had to get there for it. To be fair though, I don't do this 10 miles thing, or mileage in general these days, but it looks like you made the right call to satisfy your lists.

Never done a Wayfarer bash, but it is a ticket that would be insanely useful to try one day. Having had the relative freedom of a tram and train ticket for £9 on Metrolink recently, a Wayfarer would certainly allow more options for moves. Guess it depends if I'm getting there for a full day's bashing rather than half a day, in which case a GM Rail Ranger for £7 suits my needs far more. I don't do shack scoring these days, so all the extra validity is not all that necessary for me usually.

I did pick up on the hint that the East Midlands is being looked at for a future trip, I'll be keen (as always!) to read that one as it's an area I need to return to.

One benefit the Wayfarer has over the GM Rail Ranger is that it's valid on trains in the evening peak period

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just a pity there is no equivalent ticket for leaping around West Yorkshire in the evening peaks.

Agreed there Mr J. Likewise for South Yorkshire (but at least in South Yorkshire a basher could play with the trams for a few hours during the restricted hours)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just a pity there is no equivalent ticket for leaping around West Yorkshire in the evening peaks.

Indeed, I've got that issue in 3 weeks' time. I arrive at Leeds City Bus Station at 15:05 so not many options before the 16:01-18:29 restriction. It is what it is though, I'm sure I'll make the most of the time there and use the 2.5 hours wisely. I think off-peak starts at 09:30 as it does in Manchester?

Good to know that about the Wayfarer in Manchester, will look at that for when I next go that way as I'll be able to get in place for whatever Newton Heath chucks out for the evening peak.

87electric

Nice to see someone who is a stickler on formations of units like myself. The 175 Class has quite a few misfits. 109 has 3 cars from 3 different units.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Nice to see someone who is a stickler on formations of units like myself. The 175 Class has quite a few misfits. 109 has 3 cars from 3 different units.

I noticed that on Saturday, although it was the sticker at the coach end which said 175/0 which I noticed first, before checking the coach numbers when at Bangor. Musical coaches.

Established Member
Good to see you getting back into the game with gusto.
I always enjoy reading about moves to Northern land and yours, as expected, didn't disappoint :)

Status
Not open for further replies.