• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kemsley-Chester: How come I have been allocated a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Purchased an Advance from Kemsley to Chester for September. When I booked the Virgin website was telling me that it was going to book me onto the 10:07 train from Sittingbourne, which I thought was odd because a) when I booked the same thing last year (for the same price) I could catch any train, and b) When I checked it out there are no advance allocations for that train. I just assumed it was some of error, but I collected the ticket today and sure enough I have to catch that train.

So how come I've got a booking for it? Anyone know? My preference would have been to catch the 9:37.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Purchased an Advance from Kemsley to Chester for September. When I booked the Virgin website was telling me that it was going to book me onto the 10:07 train from Sittingbourne, which I thought was odd because a) when I booked the same thing last year (for the same price) I could catch any train, and b) When I checked it out there are no advance allocations for that train. I just assumed it was some of error, but I collected the ticket today and sure enough I have to catch that train.

So how come I've got a booking for it? Anyone know? My preference would have been to catch the 9:37.
You have been allocated a coupon for that train because it shows as 'reserverable' in the system, denoted by the diamond symbol, see: http://www.brtimes.com/#!train?uid=W80572&date=20170814&back=%23%21board%3fstn%3dSIT%26date%3d20170814%26show%3ddep

This is a 'counted place' reservation meaning no seat is actually reserved.

Next time, if you want the ability to add additional interchange time to your itinerary, use www.trainsplit.com and specify this under 'Advanced options'.

I would take the view that you may take any appropriate connecting service, but others may disagree. I do not know what the opinion of the on board train manager would be.

Taking an earlier service benefits Southeastern because, by allowing additional interchange time, you are reducing the probability of the company being liable for Delay Repay compensation for your entire journey to Chester.

Bungle73

On Moderation
You have been allocated a coupon for that train because it shows as 'reserverable' in the system, denoted by the diamond symbol, see: http://www.brtimes.com/#!train?uid=W80572&date=20170814&back=%23%21board%3fstn%3dSIT%26date%3d20170814%26show%3ddep

This is a 'counted place' reservation meaning no seat is actually reserved.

Next time, if you want the ability to add additional interchange time to your itinerary, use www.trainsplit.com and specify this under 'Advanced options'.

I would take the view that you may take any appropriate connecting service, but others may disagree. I do not know what the opinion of the on board train manager would be.

Taking an earlier service benefits Southeastern because, by allowing additional interchange time, you are reducing the probability of the company being liable for Delay Repay compensation for your entire journey to Chester.
Ah, I see. Thanks. That must have been added since I made the journey last year then.

My ticket does specify that train, so I really wouldn't want to catch the earlier one with it in case I got into trouble. So I guess my options are to put up with the train I've been allocated, or purchase a Single ticket to London which would entitle me to catch the train I wanted.

The earlier train was preferable to me, not only because it means I get into London earlier (I'm travelling first class so will be availing myself of the First Class Lounge at Euston), but also because the earlier train starts at Faversham, so will be empty when it arrives here, where as the other one would have been round the coast first, so will likely be far more busy.

I will keep that website in mind for next time, thanks. Although in this case I preferred to book directly with Virgin, as I can use their seat selector.

gray1404

Established Member
Strictly speaking you need to catch your booked train. If you really want to go earlier then ask the guard before boarding. South Eastern operate a penalty fares scheme too so I would definitely suggest getting permission.

I travel with London Midland a lot using advance tickets. They too don't offer seat reservations but you get a counted place. I would expect to be charged for a new ticket (or PF) if I of my own accord caught an earlier train.

Status
Not open for further replies.