• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kenilworth Station Closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
Like lots of other businesses that have reduced or closed down, there will be a concern that there might not be enough business to restart later. I don't see why the Railway should be cushioned from this possibility when many other businesses do not have this luxury.

The 'general principle' should be that the subsitutions are the most effective in saving train crew, taking into account shortages, passenger usage and ease of substitution. Not worrying about whether suspension may be permanent or otherwise.

That's all very well but the railway isn't quite like a lot of other business is it? If a baker's shop closes down, there'll probably be another one nearby instead. Ever if there isn't, it is reasonably easy in a lot of cases for another one to open up in future when demand is more predictable. Even the Government recognize this which is why huge subsidies are currently being paid to keep a service running, much to the ire of the Treasury.

Close the railway down or close a station and it can be enormously difficult to get it going again. Look at those stations in Staffordshire which were "temporarily" closed in Railtrack days for West Coast Main Line upgrades. Twenty years on can I get a train to Norton Bridge or Wedgwood? No, I can't. Stone eventually re-opened but only after a fight by the locals. Promises broken, trust lost.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Close the railway down or close a station and it can be enormously difficult to get it going again. Look at those stations in Staffordshire which were "temporarily" closed in Railtrack days for West Coast Main Line upgrades. Twenty years on can I get a train to Norton Bridge or Wedgwood? No, I can't. Stone eventually re-opened but only after a fight by the locals. Promises broken, trust lost.

Those were in very, very different circumstances to what we have today, where the railway has an (yes that word) unprecedented short term challenge to deal with.

davetheguard

Established Member
I was on about the station saga about getting it built and open, people moan about NR as it is but Kenilworth is a fairly good example of third party isn't necessarily better. The timetable aspect is WMTs decision.

Thanks for the reply. So both HLE & Whistler40145 are spot on then; it's the TOC wot did it. At least any Kenilworth posters on here now know who is responsible. When you said "third party" I had begun to wonder whether the grubby mits of what used to be known as Marsham Street was involved.

Those were in very, very different circumstances to what we have today, where the railway has an (yes that word) unprecedented short term challenge to deal with.

You are completely right, I agree. But the concern, despite the circumstances being different, is that the result could be the same.

Class 170101

Established Member
In some ways this is where the railway and public bodies failed to join up and build a 10 car platform for Kenilworth not just for future proofing at the time as growth was expected to just carry on upwards but now in the pandemic where drivers and guards are affected by covid just as any other people (they aren't immune from it) today a 10 car Voyager would be able to convey the few people still travelling and the Leamington to Nuneaton service curtailed at Coventry thus meaning fewer trains and crews needed overall.

Energy

Established Member
In some ways this is where the railway and public bodies failed to join up and build a 10 car platform for Kenilworth not just for future proofing at the time as growth was expected to just carry on upwards but now in the pandemic where drivers and guards are affected by covid just as any other people (they aren't immune from it) today a 10 car Voyager would be able to convey the few people still travelling and the Leamington to Nuneaton service curtailed at Coventry thus meaning fewer trains and crews needed overall.
10 car is excessive, its already long enough for 5 cars and there looks to be enough space to the north and some to the south if it needs extending in the future.

pdeaves

Established Member
10 car is excessive, its already long enough for 5 cars and there looks to be enough space to the north and some to the south if it needs extending in the future.
Build it too long now and you have a liability that needs maintenance for no reason. Who knows what trains will call in the future? Imagine if your 10-car platform isn't actually quite long enough for these bigger future trains with the need for alterations before trains can call. Much better to provide the length you need when you need it.

Are Class 171s the only class that can do 1 car de-select? IE both sets of doors open in the coach that is alongside the platform? (Three Oaks and Doleham on Marshlink)
Yes Class 172 can openboth sets of doors (one side only to avoid confusion) on the front vehicle. This is done at the Lakes station for every service.

The Planner

Veteran Member
As said up thread, its is only enough for a 5 x 20m train, you cannot stop a 5 car Voyager on it. XC didn't, and still don't, have any intention of stopping there.

Energy

Established Member
As said up thread, its is only enough for a 5 x 20m train, you cannot stop a 5 car Voyager on it. XC didn't, and still don't, have any intention of stopping there.
If it needs extending there is space to the north and south.

james60059

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, better than starting a new one, when things are back to some normality, and WMT have the resources to run the services again between Nuneaton and Leamington Spa, will the crews need route refreshing and training again on the line and Class 172's? or can they just get straight back into it again. I know when the Nuneaton - Coventry line was bustituted for a number of years back in the early 2000's there was refreshers on the line when services were due to restart (I seen a Class 150 on one occasion).

HLE

Established Member
All depends on how long this goes on for. 6 months is the general rule before a refresh is required.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Another thing to add to the "awful design" list then :D

Surprised turning the key doesn't enable the local open/close buttons.

I believe the voyagers were going to be modded to allow SDO way back in the "oughties" under Virgin but I think there was a stalemate between workers councils and management and the project was abandoned.

bnsf734

That is good news, there have been a rare variety of buses on the replacement services. Hopefully we should get the full service back when the new timetable starts in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.