• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kensington Olympia

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

Hi, i was wondering what is happening with the Olympia branch of the District line? i see that it only operates on weekends, public holidays and some olympia events. Does anyone know what events these trains run too? For example, i have found an event on the 1st august that i wanted to know the times of the trains (if they are running). Can anyone shead some light on the subject? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JGR

Hi, i was wondering what is happening with the Olympia branch of the District line? i see that it only operates on weekends, public holidays and some olympia events. Does anyone know what events these trains run too? For example, i have found an event on the 1st august that i wanted to know the times of the trains (if they are running). Can anyone shead some light on the subject? Thanks.
TfL's journey planner doesn't seem to go that far ahead. Closer to the time you can use that to see what trains you can get, and if the shuttle is running.

That said, even before that branch was partially axed, the service was only 2-3 tph or so. You're generally better off walking to one of the other stations, or getting the Overground to Shepherd's Bush or West Brompton.

Dstock7080

Established Member
1 August is within the Olympics operating period and the timetables to be used are to be distributed towards the end of May.

An event at Olympia usually requires an estimate of 3000+ visitors for the service to operate, the times of which I've posted in another thread on this page.

causton

Established Member
Earl's Court Junction - Kensington (Olympia) [London Underground] {previously full daily service, reduced from 11 December 2011}

SSuX: from Kensington (Olympia): 0550, 0606, 0615, 0624, 0632, 1958, 2038; from High Street Kensington: 1941, 2021 SSuX exhibition days (dates as advertised): from Kensington (Olympia): 0550, 0606, 0615, 0624, 0632, 1028 and half-hourly until 2300; from High Street Kensington: 1011 and half-hourly until 2241 SO: from Kensington (Olympia): 0553 and approximately every 15-20 minutes until 0739 then every 20 minutes until 2319, 2335, 2350; from High Street Kensington: 0656, 0710, 0725, 0741 and every 20 minutes until 2321, 2336 SuO: from Kensington (Olympia): 0735, 0758, 0805, 0819 and every 20 minutes until 2259, 2326, 2350; from Earl's Court: 0758; from High Street Kensington: 0807, 0821 and every 20 minutes until 2301, 2323, 2338

[

Taken from PSUL but no idea on what days the exhibition service runs!

TrainBoy98

1 August is within the Olympics operating period and the timetables to be used are to be distributed towards the end of May.

An event at Olympia usually requires an estimate of 3000+ visitors for the service to operate, the times of which I've posted in another thread on this page.

thank you,does that mean that it will definaltely be running then?

ushawk

Established Member
During event days it generally runs every 20 minutes, but have known it to run every 30 mins as well - trains can be quite busy.

NSE

Established Member
I saw it running, not Tuesday just gone, tuesday before (April 20 something) it was formed of c stock, an event didn't appear to be on, why was it running? And I thought it was D stock?

SS4

Established Member
I saw it running, not Tuesday just gone, tuesday before (April 20 something) it was formed of c stock, an event didn't appear to be on, why was it running? And I thought it was D stock?

I thought there was some sort of Parliamentary service and still gets a few tpd.

One the subject of Tube Challenges can't one use any public transport (or your legs) as long as you get a tube in or out?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I did the District to Olympia last Saturday. At Earl's Court, the time of the booked departure passed, and there was no sign of the train (or mention of it via screens or PA) anywhere. Just as I was about to ask the platform assistant if it was running (as in if there were no delays etc), it arrived ex-High Street Kensington, was announced as 'Olympia platform <number.' by local PA, and appeared on the screens for about 10 seconds. About a minute after that we were well on the way to Olypmia, I dare say if you had your back turned you wouldn't have noticed its existence. Although the line through Olympia NR was closed due to signal problems at Willesden Jn, the shuttle both ways was quiet, maybe 20 or so got on at Earl's Court (most on from High Street Kensington alighted there), and about 10 made the return from a very, very quiet Olympia. If I'm being totally honest, if it was that quiet during the week, I'm surprised the old full timetable lasted as long as it did!

Dstock7080

Established Member
If an event requires the service, it is not run as a shuttle. Trains are diverted away from the Wimbledon branch, so C Stock are scheduled to visit Olympia 6 times in these circumstances.

If the service was not booked to run, Olympia is a very convenient short-tripping destination for both C & D stock.

The scheduled workings of C Stock to/from Olympia M-F, Sat and Sun and during the Exhibitions only M-F service.
M-F:
05:50 Oly-ERd
06:32 Oly-ERd

Sat:
05:53 Oly-ERd
06:33 Oly-ERd

Sun:
23:15 ERd-Oly

Additional M-F exhibition service:
16:25 ERd-Oly
16:49 Oly-ERd
17:06 HSt-Oly
17:23 Oly-ERd
17:25 ERd-Oly
17:50 Oly-HSt
18:08 HSt-Oly
18:23 Oly-ERd
18:25 ERd-Oly
18:55 Oly-HSt
19:12 HSt-Oly
19:23 Oly-ERd.

Last edited:

TrainBoy98

Mind if I join you? Would be fun..

:( sorry, but not this time as doing it with family, but maybe as many people as possible could club together from here (RailUK) and try to break the record together? might be an idea worth suggesting somewhere... <D

Status
Not open for further replies.