• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kent & East Sussex Railway Gala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Morning all

I see the K&ESR are holding a gala between 05th & 07th May, I have only visited the line once before on a 'standard' operating day & so have no idea what the gala's are like at this paticular line. Anyone on here been before & if so what are your thoughts?

http://www.kesr.org.uk/kesr-events-list/icalrepeat.detail/2012/05/05/15/-/gala-weekend.html

Thanks & Regards

Ben

Hello Ben,

Im a Fireman at the KESR.

Our Galas tend to offer an intensive train service over the line using our own fleet of locomotives and 2 hired in locos (this year 1744 and 4247).
Obviously we are not an organisation of the size of the SVR or NYMR and we do suffer from the lack of a mainline connection (so far anyway!)
Against this however the construction of our line does mean that that enthusiasts do get the opportunity to hear how locomotives are supposed to sound.
Tenterden Bank with its 1 in 35 gradient for over a mile and reverse curves mean that we can very much be in the big valve premier league within the 25 mph restriction.
This year should be even better as during the winter we have been able to relay the reverse curves by Tenterden Home signal removing the 15 mph restriction that has existed for many years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUINnTLG3k&feature=related

If anybody has any questions as to how to get to the line, please ask!

Crawley Ben

Hi Paul

Thanks very much indeed for the response to my question (s). Thankfully I am OFF on the days of the Gala so I will be very much looking forward to attending what will be my first ever Railway Gala (at the age of 27, why I haven't been to one sooner I just don't know!) Is it best to book my ticket in advance or can I just turn up on the day & purchase one?

Thanks & Regards

Ben

MarkyMarkD

Hello Ben,

Im a Fireman at the KESR.

Our Galas tend to offer an intensive train service over the line using our own fleet of locomotives and 2 hired in locos (this year 1744 and 4247).
Obviously we are not an organisation of the size of the SVR or NYMR and we do suffer from the lack of a mainline connection (so far anyway!)
Against this however the construction of our line does mean that that enthusiasts do get the opportunity to hear how locomotives are supposed to sound.
Tenterden Bank with its 1 in 35 gradient for over a mile and reverse curves mean that we can very much be in the big valve premier league within the 25 mph restriction.
This year should be even better as during the winter we have been able to relay the reverse curves by Tenterden Home signal removing the 15 mph restriction that has existed for many years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUINnTLG3k&feature=related

If anybody has any questions as to how to get to the line, please ask!

Hi Paul

The site doesn't seem to have any timetable information for the gala days - the standard timetable calendar just says "gala days" or something like that, and the events page for the gala days says nothing about times at all!

Am I being dumb or does the site need some information adding?

Thanks.

paul1609

Established Member
Hi Paul

The site doesn't seem to have any timetable information for the gala days - the standard timetable calendar just says "gala days" or something like that, and the events page for the gala days says nothing about times at all!

Am I being dumb or does the site need some information adding?

Thanks.

Have passed your comments to the gala commitee, they hope to have published the timetable by this weekend,

PUFFINGBILLY

An utterly charming line.
Visit NT Bodiam Castle, then walk down the road to the station, enjoy the ride, take time to explore Tenterden before returning to Bodiam.
Small is beautiful.

Crawley Ben

I see the K&ESR offer Footplate rides for people who wish to see what things are like 'up front'. Has anyone does this before (either at K&ESR or elsewhere) as it's something I am thinking about doing in future.

Thanks

Ben

williamn

Hmm, used to go to the K+ESR a lot but not been for ages. Likewise not been to a gala so may try and head down.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
An utterly charming line.
Visit NT Bodiam Castle, then walk down the road to the station, enjoy the ride, take time to explore Tenterden before returning to Bodiam.
Small is beautiful.

I Agree with all that, it is a good line, & will be improved further if and when the hoped for extention back to Robertsbridge happens. (Otherwise, if like me you don't drive, you have to have to take connecting buses from Headcorn or Ashford Intl.) I think they have put some track westwards from Bodiam and a very short line eastwards from Robertsbridge Station. However there is a main road that needs to be crossed that may pose a problem?

The main cafe at Tenterden is interesting in itself as I understand the building this is in used to be a waiting room/ticket office from a Maidstone & District bus station, I think in Maidstone.

paul1609

Established Member
I Agree with all that, it is a good line, & will be improved further if and when the hoped for extention back to Robertsbridge happens. (Otherwise, if like me you don't drive, you have to have to take connecting buses from Headcorn or Ashford Intl.) I think they have put some track westwards from Bodiam and a very short line eastwards from Robertsbridge Station. However there is a main road that needs to be crossed that may pose a problem?

The main cafe at Tenterden is interesting in itself as I understand the building this is in used to be a waiting room/ticket office from a Maidstone & District bus station, I think in Maidstone.

Thanks for all your interest.

The public timetable for the Gala event is available here: http://www.kesr-operating.org.uk/Public%20Gala%20Timetables%202012.htm

Special Bus Links to the railway operate on Sunday from Robertsbridge and on Monday from Headcorn see link here: http://www.kesr.org.uk/images/stories/events/gala/gala%20bus%20timetable%202012.pdf

On Saturday you can use normal service buses No 12 from Headcorn or No 2 from Ashford International if you want to come down on HS1, alight at The Vine Public House in Tenterden High Street and walk around 300 yards down Station Road.

The track is now fully complete and is used on occasions for Public trains West of Bodiam to the site of Junction road halt about 3/4 mile.

The final bridge has been replaced this week on the Robertsbridge to Northbridge Street (Old A21) section at the East end of the line and we will be laying the track on this section in the next few weeks. Plans are being drawn up for the transport and works order which will be required for the missing 2 miles and discussions have already taken place with interested parties over the level crossings which are planned to be full lifting barrier crossings.

The Refreshment Rooms at Tenterden were indeed the waiting room at Maidstone and Districts Palace Avenue Bus Station reputed to be the first purpose built Bus Station in Britain dating from 1922.

Sorry dont seem to be able to get links to work properly in the mobile version of Rail UK.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thanks for all your interest.

The public timetable for the Gala event is available here: http://www.kesr-operating.org.uk/Public Gala Timetables 2012.htm

Special Bus Links to the railway operate on Sunday from Robertsbridge and on Monday from Headcorn see link here: http://www.kesr.org.uk/images/stories/events/gala/gala bus timetable 2012.pdf

On Saturday you can use normal service buses No 12 from Headcorn or No 2 from Ashford International if you want to come down on HS1, alight at The Vine Public House in Tenterden High Street and walk around 300 yards down Station Road.

The track is now fully complete and is used on occasions for Public trains West of Bodiam to the site of Junction road halt about 3/4 mile.

The final bridge has been replaced this week on the Robertsbridge to Northbridge Street (Old A21) section at the East end of the line and we will be laying the track on this section in the next few weeks. Plans are being drawn up for the transport and works order which will be required for the missing 2 miles and discussions have already taken place with interested parties over the level crossings which are planned to be full lifting barrier crossings.

The Refreshment Rooms at Tenterden were indeed the waiting room at Maidstone and Districts Palace Avenue Bus Station reputed to be the first purpose built Bus Station in Britain dating from 1922.

Sorry dont seem to be able to get links to work properly in the mobile version of Rail UK.

Wow, the work on the extention to Robertsbridge does seem to have gone further and better than I had thought, long may that continue. :D

paul1609

Established Member
Its looking good for the weekend with everything going to plan.
The visitors are bedding down for the night in the Kent sunshine:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150792349444288&set=a.63769829287.68517.524744287&type=1&theater

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.