• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kent to Suffolk via HS1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

Hello experts,

A quick validity/permitted routes question.

I would like to travel from Marden (MRN) to Darsham (DSM) and back at a weekend. I intend to purchase an Off-Peak return with a GC discount, at £39.15.

Most journey planners route this via Charing Cross and Liverpool Street, but I would ideally like to travel via Ashford and Stratford.

The only ticket restriction code is 7B, and it says I may travel by any permitted route. Does this mean that I can use HS1 with this ticket? If not, is there any way of obtaining a direct ticket that includes HS1?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kdoganorak

AFAIK tickets from any significant distance the other side of london into kent and vice versa are valid on hs1 hence 'any permited' which is not included on tickets just between kent and London. There may be an issue however in that Marden is some distance back towards London from Ashford... so you are doubling back on yourself. Which way is quicker, out of interest?

Hopefully someone on here knows a more definitive answer:)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I haven't got time to thoroughly check the routeing guide, but as Marden is nearer Tonbridge than Ashford I would be surprised if tickets were valid that way.

Romilly

Established Member
An offpeak return to Darsham from each of Marden, Staplehurst and Pluckley is £39.15 with gold card discount. But I am only getting "via Ashford" itineraries for the Pluckley ticket (although I also get "via Victoria" itineraries for that ticket). So one option would be to buy the Pluckley-Darsham ticket, plus a Marden-Pluckley Southeastern Weekender Return for £4.60 with gold card discount (I assume the OP is going out on the Saturday and coming back on the Sunday - if that is wrong, and it's a day trip, then it's a £4.30 offpeak day return).

higthomas

Just to clarify, Ashford is not a valid routing point for this ticket, which means you can't go via there, so you will have to do something different, for instance what Romilly suggested.

SandsofEss

Thank you all, as ever, for helping me to navigate the quirks of our railway ticketing system.

Status
Not open for further replies.