• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Kentish Town Oyster Readers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd like to switch from using a paper ticket (to West Hampstead Stns), to using Oyster PAYG. I can do this switch at either West Hampstead Thameslink station, or at Kentish Town station, remaining on the same train.

I'm told there are Oyster readers on the platforms at Kentish Town, but not at West Hampstead? Is that correct? Can anyone advise where on the train I should sit (a northbound service departing from St Pancras - where the service starts due to engineering work - and calling at Kentish Town Platform 3)?

If it's not possible to remain on the train, I'll take LU to Kentish Town or West Hampstead and change there (as if I arrive on FCC and can't get back on the same train I would have a 30 minute wait!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harlesden

To be honest, I thought all London NR stations had Oyster readers. I have seen them at the quietest stations such as Sudbury Hill. The NR website makes the following statement
All National Rail and London Underground stations in the London area have Oyster card readers or validators.
Aside from that I've witnessed a FCC RPI getting a little nasty with someone claiming there are no readers at Bowes Park. I know there are because Bowes Park is the local station for one of my two London locations.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looking at stations made difficult it seems that there are gates in the main ticket and readers on the bridge at the bottom of the 9 steps down to the ticket hall. I'd say there are no readers on the platforms.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
At West Hampstead they are next to the ticket machine on the platform 1 end of the footbridge.

wintonian

Established Member
To be honest, I thought all London NR stations had Oyster readers. I have seen them at the quietest stations such as Sudbury Hill. The NR website makes the following statement
All National Rail and London Underground stations in the London area have Oyster card readers or validators.
Aside from that I've witnessed a FCC RPI getting a little nasty with someone claiming there are no readers at Bowes Park. I know there are because Bowes Park is the local station for one of my two London locations.

Yes true, but most readers in my experience are on the gate line, not much help if you are interchanging having to leave the station and then come back in again.

Even at Clapham Junction I have to walk all the way over to platform 2 (from plt 7) and then back again depending on where I am going.

Status
Not open for further replies.