• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keolis/Amey to take over Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The current timetable only gives a 5 minute turnaround at Crewe. You can't move the departure from Chester earlier as the Manchester - North Wales arrives on Platform 3 around then (normally the shuttle has to wait for the arrival of this service before its cleared to depart platform 1). They'll have to push the departure from Crewe back which to be fair should work, though that will mean the current 9 minute turnaround at Chester will be cut down to 5, the same as Crewe. What that will do for reliability, on a service where luggage loads tend to be high, remains to be seen.

I'd imagine the 4 sets of doors per coach so lots of people can be loading bags on at the same time will compensate adequately. Unlike LNR they are not (according to the renders) blocking the centre two door sets and turning them into near-end doored units.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

uxm

Good to see the first of the new signs. Would be nice if they replied to the email I sent them two weeks ago asking about how the audio announcements will change :-/
It's probably gonna say "14:58 Transport For Wales service to Swansea"

craigybagel

Established Member
Tfw branding has appeared at stations between Crewe and Shrewsbury today, with no mention of KeolisAmey or Wales and Borders. Noteworthy both because this section is entirely within England, and because it suggests the rumours of West Midlands Trains taking over the local services on this route may not have been true.

I'd imagine the 4 sets of doors per coach so lots of people can be loading bags on at the same time will compensate adequately. Unlike LNR they are not (according to the renders) blocking the centre two door sets and turning them into near-end doored units.

You wouldn't have thought a route with only 2 station stops per hour would require a metro like 4 does per carriage - and yet TFW have somehow achieved it

krus_aragon

Established Member
Oh, the extra doors were left on for dealing with the rush hour traffic at Roman Bridge, Cefn-y-Bedd, and Dolgarrog. ;)

JetStream

Tfw branding has appeared at stations between Crewe and Shrewsbury today, with no mention of KeolisAmey or Wales and Borders. Noteworthy both because this section is entirely within England, and because it suggests the rumours of West Midlands Trains taking over the local services on this route may not have been true.

I'm shocked* at this news, SHOCKED.

*Not in the slightest.

mmh

Established Member

You wouldn't have thought a route with only 2 station stops per hour would require a metro like 4 does per carriage - and yet TFW have somehow achieved it

Yes, if you compiled a list of the least metro style routes in Britain, Chester - Crewe, Llandudno - Blaenau Ffestiniog and Wrexham - Bidston would have to be up there. It's really quite impressive.

Bletchleyite said:
You do know what they are actually being ordered for, and that they are being used on that route solely as an interim thing, don't you?

Yes, even less "metro" routes. This is the Wales franchise we're talking about so you'll have to excuse some cynicism over anything being "interim".

Interim Pacers, interim 101s, interim 37s, interim 57s etc etc

craigybagel

Established Member
You do know what they are actually being ordered for, and that they are being used on that route solely as an interim thing, don't you?

I'm very much aware of that fact. It still doesn't stop it seeming like a very strange decision.

I'm a big fan of the class 230 concept, I've said so from day 1. There are plenty of routes where quick acceleration and multiple doors for fast loading and unloading are required that these units would be perfect for. With a comfortable enough refurbishment, there are routes that are long but relatively slow speed thay these units could also be perfect for.

The first of these scenarios applies to Bidston, and the second to Blaneau - so I can see the merit in their use there. But neither applies to Crewe - Chester.

Now, it could be these units are a great success on this route as well - but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was worried. If it was down to me, I'd swap whatever unit is being planned for Crewe - Shrewsbury with the 230 for Crewe - Chester. But I'll have to trust our new management on this!

craigybagel

Established Member
I would assume a lot of that 50 minutes will be coasting, so not a massive drain on the mechanics other than the rolling parts. Especially on the way to Chester as it’s very slightly more downhill.

I actually think the times will be similar to a 150 running on 1 engine. That manages to keep to the timings all day, speaking from experience.

Fingers crossed. I've found that on 1 engine it's a bit of a mad dash at Crewe to get turned around and out again on time, but ironically as Bletchlyite pointed out the metro door layout will help in this area at least.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Yes, if you compiled a list of the least metro style routes in Britain, Chester - Crewe, Llandudno - Blaenau Ffestiniog and Wrexham - Bidston would have to be up there. It's really quite impressive.
Ultimately the 230s are all for Wrexham-Bidston aren't they? Merseyrail, while perhaps not the most metro-style network in Britain, is certainly somewhat metro-style and adding Wrexham-Bidston to Merseyrail has been suggested a few times. Also, the Welsh Government have started calling Wrexham-Bidston the "North East Wales Metro". On that very limited evidence (it's the only ATW line in north Wales I've never travelled) I would probably ommit Wrexham-Bidston from the 'least-metro' list (since it has a community rail partnership though I'm guessing it wouldn't make a 'most-metro' list either).

Crewe-Chester and Llandudno-Blaenau Ffestiniog though? I'm with you there, there's nothing 'metro' about either.

mmh

Established Member
When are W&B starting road learning to Lime St? They'd best get cracking if they want to start in December. Or will this be quietly pushed back to May/December/God Knows?

Your crystal ball is in fine working order, in a shocking development...

Transport For Wales said:
We’re working to introduce new services from May 2019 between Chester and Liverpool Lime Street and also extending two of these services to serve Wrexham.

The services between Chester and Liverpool Lime Street were originally intended to be introduced from December 2018, however due to rolling stock availability issues we’re now planning to introduce these and the extended services from May 2019. We’re working with the industry to ensure that rolling stock is available and that the timetable can accommodate these extra services.

( From http://tfw.gov.wales/news-events/autumn-update )

krus_aragon

Established Member
Even more interesting: while they've decided to take the political hit involved with delaying the Halton service, two (peak?) services are extended to Wrexham. Getting Liverpool on the destination board at Wrexham General will be a reasonably "good news" headline for them to trumpet about.

anamyd

On Moderation
Aberystwyth station has now had the "sticker treatment":

Attachments

• IMG_20180910_213136.jpg
    IMG_20180910_213136.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 195

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ultimately the 230s are all for Wrexham-Bidston aren't they? Merseyrail, while perhaps not the most metro-style network in Britain, is certainly somewhat metro-style

Merseyrail *is* a metro! Well, it's an S-Bahn type thing, I suppose, anyway.

and adding Wrexham-Bidston to Merseyrail has been suggested a few times. Also, the Welsh Government have started calling Wrexham-Bidston the "North East Wales Metro". On that very limited evidence (it's the only ATW line in north Wales I've never travelled) I would probably ommit Wrexham-Bidston from the 'least-metro' list (since it has a community rail partnership though I'm guessing it wouldn't make a 'most-metro' list either).

Crewe-Chester and Llandudno-Blaenau Ffestiniog though? I'm with you there, there's nothing 'metro' about either.

It's worth taking a look at the Swiss S-Bahn concept (branded as you might imagine RER in the French bits aligning with French nomenclature for the same thing), which applies metro concepts (fully consistent clockface timetable, planned connections, new high acceleration rolling stock) to rural lines at lower frequencies, typically an hourly base but sometimes less frequent. I really like the concept, think it is very suitable to Wales indeed, and I think it's what they're going for.

horaire-de-poche-rer-vd-plan-2367939.jpg

Reseau Express Vaudoise map (SBB)

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Here's the press release in full

http://tfw.gov.wales/news-events/autumn-update

Autumn Update
In the coming months and years, we’ll be making a huge investment in our railways and with six weeks to go until Transport for Wales starts running the Wales and Borders rail service, we’re keen to update you on the exciting transformation. Preparations for the transfer are well underway and we are working with Arriva Trains Wales to ensure a seamless transition. Here are some of the changes you’ll see from Day 1.

New branding

You’ll start to see Transport for Wales’ branding appearing on staff uniforms, at stations and on some trains as well as on information leaflets and posters.

We’ll also be launching a new customer website and app on 15th October.

As the transformation continues you’ll also see the brand appearing on new trains.

Staff

While you’ll notice that staff uniforms will change on 15th October to incorporate the Transport for Wales brand, we also have plans to introduce a new staff uniform once we’ve consulted with staff.

Welsh Language

We’ll be enhancing Welsh language service provision and providing increased training support to staff who want to learn Welsh.

Stations

We have a massive programme of station investment planned and you’ll start to see the Transport for Wales brand appearing at stations. We’ll also be deep cleaning our stations and we’ll start this programme in December 2018.

Trains

We plan to replace all trains by 2023. In the meantime, we’ll be introducing some additional trains to improve services and you may also see some temporarily rebranded trains.

New Services

Passengers in North Wales are likely to be amongst the first to benefit from a number of new rail services currently being planned by Transport for Wales.

We’re working to introduce new services from May 2019 between Chester and Liverpool Lime Street and also extending two of these services to serve Wrexham.

The services between Chester and Liverpool Lime Street were originally intended to be introduced from December 2018, however due to rolling stock availability issues we’re now planning to introduce these and the extended services from May 2019. We’re working with the industry to ensure that rolling stock is available and that the timetable can accommodate these extra services.

We’re also working with the industry to secure some additional Sunday services in North Wales as well as some early start weekday services in South Wales from December 2018.

The North Wales services include:

• Additional Sunday services between Wrexham General and Bidston.
  • An additional service from Llandudno Junction to Chester.
The South Wales services include additional:

• Sunday services between Aberdare and Cardiff.
  • Weekday early start services from Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil to Cardiff.

We’ll confirm details of these services as soon as we can.

snowball

Established Member

pemma

Veteran Member
Wales & Borders have confirmed that Borderlands and Conwy Valley services will retain the same journey times despite the lower top speed of the D-Trains but the Chester-Crewe shuttle will be timetabled to take longer due to the change in rolling stock.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Some stuff has appeared on the DfT website today. I have no plans to read it but it may be of interest to some on here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ers-rail-franchise-2018-devolution-agreements
At 112 pages I don't blame you!

I'll have a small rummage, though. There's bound to be the odd juicy snippet in there.

Edit: Handover time for Operator of Last Resort powers is 0200 on 14 October, so that'll be the actual franchise handover time (for those trying to catch the last/first services).

krus_aragon

Established Member
Right, other tidbits as I pick them out:

• For English Services (services wholly withing England or the non-Welsh portion of cross-border services) Westminster is paying £2,043,300.28 for the rest of this financial year, and then £4,413,045 per annum.
  • ATW were, at the end of the franchise, repaying £69.85 million per annum of their subsidy as an Access Charge Adjustment. This is because the subsidy was calculated based on track access charges in CP2, with an adjustment for any track access increases covered by the Government, and decreases repaid by ATW.
  • This overpaying and repaying is continuing in this manner until 2020, with the Welsh Government responsible for returning the overpayments. For 2019/2020, they expect the actual track access charges will be £44.5M, repaying an excess of £71.8M.
  • The Sec. of State is indeed paying £125M toward the Valley Lines upgrade.
  • Separate customer quality targets must be maintained for English stations (but will they be higher or lower?)
  • Provide separate performance data for Welsh and English services and stations
  • Not sublease stock (for English services only?) from another operator without the Sec. of State's permission.
  • No selling off the Core Valley Lines infrastructure for non-rail use without the Sec. of State's approval.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
So Wrexham-Liverpool will apply from the new Day 1, which is good news.
I wonder which 2 services they are talking about - presumably early and late, otherwise they will need even more stock.

Sounds a bit token-ish and it will be interesting to see how they squeeze it in with other stuff. aren't the token VTWC services early and late as well?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That looks particularly messy with the original board showing through underneath!
I wonder if the strip should have been right at the bottom, but the person applying it thought he’d save time and avoid dealing with the protruding fastenings...

Status
Not open for further replies.