• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keolis/Amey to take over Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del1977

Looks like updates over at Transport for Wales, more than I've seen elsewhere.

Cross-city running retained, more VoG services, 4tph to Valley heads, all Pacers gone by Dec 2019.

158s replaced on Cambrian, new stock on Marches, Mark IVs on Gerald services.
http://tfw.gov.wales/whats-happening

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth Marston

Established Member
PRM complaince was partially sorted by the announcement when the winning bidder was announced, that the 158s and 150s would receive retention toilets and PRM mods in an 18 month program, and coupled with the 769 annoucement of old leaves only the 30 Pacers and 8 153s non compliant, but if you've dug up half of the valleys for conversion, you won't need them.

Would this be the 769's that haven't left the factory door let alone been accepted onto UK rail network yet?
The 153's that work the Heart of Wales/Tenby services?
And Amey are moving the bulldozers in on the 1st January 2020?

8H

As part of our commitment to North Wales, we will:
  • Introduce the new fleet of diesel multiple units (DMUs) to the North Wales Coast in 2022.
  • Reduce walk-up and season fares to, from and within North Wales by 10% to encourage travel.

• Invest in Shotton Station and Wrexham General from April 2024, to enable North Wales Metro capability.

• Invest to co-fund new station buildings at Blaenau Ffestiniog.

• Create a true intercity experience on the North-South long-distance services, bringing 12 newly refurbished Mark IV carriages to Wales.

• Introduce two new Community Rail Partnerships on the North Wales Line and the Crewe to Hereford line. These will be supported by the recruitment of two new Community and Stakeholder Managers and 13 Community and Customer Ambassadors.

• Provide ticket machines at more stations.

• Introduce a pay-as-you-go facility for users of our app from April 2021, finding the lowest available fares.

8H

Forgot the important bit !!

Train service improvements include:
  • Delivering the North East Wales Metro by increasing frequency on the Wrexham-Bidston line to 2 trains per hour (tph) from December 2021, with fully refurbished metro trains.
  • Introducing a new 1tph service from Chester to Liverpool Lime Street in December 2018.
  • Revising timetables in December 2022 to introduce a new Liverpool to Llandudno and Shrewsbury service (1tph) and Liverpool to Cardiff (1 train every 2 hours), plus direct services between Manchester Airport and Bangor.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
WG are funding the new trains, so taking the Merseytravel approach rather than using a ROSCO.
Manufacturers usually maintain their stock these days, so the TOC (like Merseyrail) just operates the trains/stations.
It remains to be seen who owns the ticketing/pricing, presumably TfW, and outside of DfT.
Let's hope the integrated smartcard system integrates better with the "English" system than the concessionary bus passes...
"Fare reductions in North Wales" also sticks out.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Please can we try and keep pure rolling stock discussion (i.e. what trains, when, what interior, what colour will the moquette be, etc) to the rolling stock thread which can be found here. Discussion of the various other goodies that have been announced this morning is fine to continue in this thread but it would be nice to avoid having the same discussion in two places!

Many thanks,
ainsworth74

Teithiwr

WG are funding the new trains, so taking the Merseytravel approach rather than using a ROSCO.
Manufacturers usually maintain their stock these days, so the TOC (like Merseyrail) just operates the trains/stations.
It remains to be seen who owns the ticketing/pricing, presumably TfW, and outside of DfT.
Let's hope the integrated smartcard system integrates better with the "English" system than the concessionary bus passes...
"Fare reductions in North Wales" also sticks out.
Quite right too. Disproportionately expensive at the moment.

Domh245

Established Member

This slick little video has got a few interesting snippets in it including rolling stock plans (discussion in the Rolling stock thread please), and a few other key facts and figures

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Quite right too. Disproportionately expensive at the moment.

There are quite a few flows without any Off Peak fares (or with 8A ones as the most expensive ticket), so I'd figure increases in Anytime but Off Peak cheaper.

Edit: interesting they actually say 10% cheaper overall.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member

This slick little video has got a few interesting snippets in it including rolling stock plans (discussion in the Rolling stock thread please), and a few other key facts and figures

That video had me worried given that it started (muted) showing me the outline of the Penydarren locomotive!!!

If TfW/KeolisAmey manage to pull all this off, I'll be impresses with the outcomes. (Certainly better than what we'd been "doom-saying" to ourselves over the past few months.)

PR1Berske

Established Member
Interesting to see direct Liverpool-Llandudno/Shrewsbury/Cardiff. A great untapped potential in Merseyside to Wales transport. Forum members of a certain bent might not be so surprised to see a potential Bangor to Manchester Airport train ;)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Interesting to see direct Liverpool-Llandudno/Shrewsbury/Cardiff. A great untapped potential in Merseyside to Wales transport. Forum members of a certain bent might not be so surprised to see a potential Bangor to Manchester Airport train ;)

Bangor-Manchester Airport is just a question of extending the current Piccadilly peak terminators.
It does seem to confirm that W&B will retain its Airport paths (was threatened with diversion to Victoria to allow Calder Valley-Airport paths).

Dai Corner

Established Member
How do they guarantee that stations/OHLE will be 100% renewable powered, with 50% Welsh-sourced?

It's just a marketing \ accounting sleight of hand. Their supplier buys X GWh of electricity from renewable generators in Wales and sells X GWh to them. In reality, the electricity for the newly electrified lines will come from Aberthaw, generated from imported coal, in so far as you can identify it coming from a particular source.

Network Rail notionally supply nuclear-generated electricity to trains on their lines.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...ards-10-year-electricity-supply-contract.html

UK: Network Rail has awarded EDF Energy a 10-year contract to supply around 3·2 TWh of electricity a year for the rail network.

Network Rail procures electricity centrally for the rail industry, charging train operators for traction power supplied through overhead and third rail electrification.

In what Network Rail says is a 'ground-breaking arrangement', EDF Energy is offering the infrastructure manager the capability of purchasing its electricity requirements up to 10 years in advance, providing certainty over costs and reducing exposure to short-term volatility.

Under the EDF Energy Blue scheme, energy supplied to Network Rail will be 'matched' by low-carbon power from EDF Energy's eight nuclear power stations.

'Network Rail is the biggest single electricity customer in the UK, so this long term deal is a massive vote of confidence in our nuclear-backed energy', said EDF Chief Executive Vincent de Rivaz. 'Rail is already one of the least carbon-intensive ways to travel and the huge investment in electrification will be backed by a stable and affordable supply of low-carbon energy. The deal places nuclear energy at the heart of the UK's infrastructure for the next 10 years and serves to underline that nuclear power is part of everyday life in Britain.'

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Just appears to be a redirection of the Manchester to Llandudno service to Bangor instead, the Liverpool will go to Llandudno. Despite Merseyrail, I think a Liverpool to North Wales service will be quite popular, particularly on weekends.

They do mention speeding up Holyhead to Cardiff, I expect the Manchester to Bangor service will do Conwy, Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr instead, though it looks like Valley, Bodorgan and Ty Croes will still get the Holyheads as there's no mention of anything else serving them.

krus_aragon

Established Member
As a sheer tangent, does anyone recognise the boundaries shown in this image?

TFW_Map_North_1.png

This wouldn't be a Welsh-Government-inspired look at revised council boundaries, would it?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Gentle reminder that we do have a thread for discussion of rolling stock that can be found here. I understand it can be a bit hard as lines can blur but if people could do their best to keep rolling stock discussion in that thread it would be greatly appreciated :)

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Does anybody know why the Chester to Liverpool service will begin from December 2018 but only become Llandudno to Liverpool from 2022? Why couldn't they start from Llandudno at end of this year?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does anybody know why the Chester to Liverpool service will begin from December 2018 but only become Llandudno to Liverpool from 2022? Why couldn't they start from Llandudno at end of this year?

Rolling stock, I suspect. It's an additional service onto the Coast so will require I think 2 additional DMUs over a service to Chester only.

krus_aragon

Established Member
http://tfw.gov.wales/whats-happening-south-west-and-mid-wales
Train service improvements include:

• A consistent 1 train per hour (tph) on the Cambrian line from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth.
Everything else has a date on it except this!
Given that Class 158 withdrawal seems pencilled in for 2022-2023, I'd expect it by then at the latest. (Other long-distance rolling stock will be arriving a bit sooner, which could displace enough 158s to give you the rolling stock needed. But they're still going to keep you guessing in the meantime.)

Bwlch y Groes

So those new stations - is this all of them?

- Bow Street (Cambrian) - 2020
- Crwys Road (Rhymney/Coryton) - 2022
- Loudoun Square (Cardiff Bay) - 2023
- The Flourish (Cardiff Bay) - 2023
- Llanwern (SWML)- date tbc
- Cardiff Parkway (SWML)- date tbc
- Miskin (SWML)- date tbc
- Gabalfa (Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr)- date tbc
- Treforest Estate/Nantgarw (Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr) - date tbc

and the closing stations:

- Cardiff Bay - 2023
- Treforest Estate - date tbc

OrangeJuice

I'm not sure if this is the best thread as it's partly a rolling stock query, but also about proposed services.

From http://tfw.gov.wales/what's-happening-wales-borders :
'Introduce new two and three-car new diesel multiple units (DMUs) for the Milford Haven to Manchester service by 2023.'

Surely it would have been better to replace the 2 & 3 car class 175 with all 3/4 car to increase capacity between Manchester and Cardiff/South Wales. Does anyone know if they plan to double the 2 cars?

Although I do note they plan to introduce Liverpool to Cardiff every two hours (is this in addition to the Holyhead - Cardiff ) as this would also improve the service between Shrewsbury and Cardiff (I think this may have been mentioned as an extra too in the Annex document previously added on here, so I'm a bit confused over what the final service plan/capacity will be)

Edit:

I think the main part which is confusing is from 2022 there will be a:
'New service 0.5tph Cardiff - Liverpool,
0.5tph Shrewsbury – Cardiff' on the 'Cardiff Central – Liverpool via
Wrexham General' route.

So does this mean the 0.5tph Shrewsbury – Cardiff is just the current Holyhead to Cardiff or it a new service in which case would there be 2.5tph Shrewsbury to Cardiff?

Last edited:

DenmarkRail

It’s a shame there won’t be extra services between Chester and New Street via Stafford...

krus_aragon

Established Member
I'm not sure if this is the best thread as it's partly a rolling stock query, but also about proposed services.

From http://tfw.gov.wales/what's-happening-wales-borders :
'Introduce new two and three-car new diesel multiple units (DMUs) for the Milford Haven to Manchester service by 2023.'

Surely it would have been better to replace the 2 & 3 car class 175 with all 3/4 car to increase capacity between Manchester and Cardiff/South Wales. Does anyone know if they plan to double the 2 cars?

Although I do note they plan to introduce Liverpool to Cardiff every two hours (is this in addition to the Holyhead - Cardiff ) as this would also improve the service between Shrewsbury and Cardiff (I think this may have been mentioned as an extra too in the Annex document previously added on here, so I'm a bit confused over what the final service plan/capacity will be)

Some artist impressions of new-build long-distance rolling stock include end-gangways. This is probably better than 4-car units, as you won't be needing 4 carriages' capacity over the whole route from Manchester to Milford.

Most of the talk about proposed services seems to be happening over other other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.