• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keolis Amey Wales - Future Rolling Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris192

A '3 car' CityLink Metro vehicle is no longer than a 2 car 150/2. Some services will therefore see no increase in capacity with no toilets and possibly no room for bikes, along a route which follows the popular Taff trail.

I was under the impression that they’d be coupling a lot of these together? Given 4 trains an hour between Merthyr, Aberdare, Treherbert and Cardiff, all of which will apparently take less than an hour, I can’t imagine they’d need much more than 12 to run (plus extras for contingency). Since they have 36, wouldn’t they have the capacity to run every single train as a 6 car?

(Admittedly, I’m not an expert on this at all, and I’m only here because I’m curious, so my numbers could be all wrong!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Theirs some nice pillar views there-

There seems to be a pattern here - the Anglia Flirts were also first shown with Grammer seats which were then switched to Fisa Lean:

FlirtUK_EastAnglia-Innen-3_Stadler-Rail-Group-Nose_23-6-16.jpg

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I was under the impression that they’d be coupling a lot of these together? Given 4 trains an hour between Merthyr, Aberdare, Treherbert and Cardiff, all of which will apparently take less than an hour, I can’t imagine they’d need much more than 12 to run (plus extras for contingency). Since they have 36, wouldn’t they have the capacity to run every single train as a 6 car?

(Admittedly, I’m not an expert on this at all, and I’m only here because I’m curious, so my numbers could be all wrong!)

Only have enough units for every other service to be doubled up.

Chris192

Only have enough units for every other service to be doubled up.

Oh yeah, of course! I forgot about the roundtrip!

Also, could that potentially mean that they double up the services going to Central, and keep the Bay ones as singles so the street running services aren’t too long? I’m pretty sure only about half of them are doubled up at present anyway, so I assume the increased capacity mostly comes from the change in frequency.

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Cant but help think that the FLIRT's are a far better quality of unit than the TramTrain things that will be put on the Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr services essentially doing a similar job in a similar area.
Isn’t that meant to be the extendable part of the network? I was under the impression that they’d be using the same CityLink rolling stock to start expanding street running (beyond the Cardiff Bay link) at some point in the future.
Extendable? Pushing on to Hirwaun/GlynNeath/Brecon will only make the lack of toilets even less appropriate. I hope the existing network will truely remain to full heavy-rail standards and that, once the initial project is complete, they will start incrementally raising/insulating bridges in order to reduce the need for the batteries on the Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr lines and then wire to Barry Island and Penarth too. Once they got a fully-electrified route (say Treherbert-Penarth) they would be able to introduce cascaded Electrostars (or similar) on that route and cascade some of the tram-trains onto the Coryton branch and the Cardiff-Caerphilly short workings, freeing up the tri-modes for extra Cardiff-Hereford/Chepstow stopping services. I'm guessing that the FLIRTs have >20m vehicles and that this is the reason for Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr not having FLIRTs but that is just a guess (and why can't they fix the infrustructure in order to clear the route for 23m vehicles; does anyone know what structure(s) scratched the 158 that went to Treherbert on a guaging test once?). If the FLIRTs will fit on the Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr routes that just makes using FLIRTs on the much-shorter Coryton branch rather silly methinks; Coryton (and Cardiff Bay) are the only routes that I thought might be sensible to convert to light-rail standards (provided the bit through Queen Street is still heavy-rail for the other services of course).

Yes, 'at some point in the future', which if Brexit goes ahead and Wales loses all EU RDF funding, will mean never.
A '3 car' CityLink Metro vehicle is no longer than a 2 car 150/2. Some services will therefore see no increase in capacity with no toilets and possibly no room for bikes, along a route which follows the popular Taff trail.

Meanwhile Rhymney - Vale of Glamorgan services will always be at least 3 or 4 car full length trains.
Would I be correct in saying that the 3-car FLIRTs are similar in length to a 3-car 150, allowing a pair of 3-car FLIRTs to fit in the 6-car (124m) platforms on the Rhymney-Penarth route?

Theirs some nice pillar views there-
I was thinking the same thing; seems almost inevitable with doors-at-thirds (which, for the ValleyLines, are necessary; I'm supprised there's only one door on one of the coaches on the tri-mode FLIRTs), and the renders of the CAF units showed similar. Also, the windows on the FLIRTs (in particular, but possibly also the new CAF stock) look rather square; this could mean an improvement on current trains (higher windows) or it could mean narrower windows (like a class 153, where the windows are so narrow that a table bay simply CANNOT be installed without giving somebody a pillar blocking at least half their field of view).

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I hope the existing network will truely remain to full heavy-rail standards and that, once the initial project is complete, they will start incrementally raising/insulating bridges in order to reduce the need for the batteries on the Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr lines and then wire to Barry Island and Penarth too. Once they got a fully-electrified route (say Treherbert-Penarth) they would be able to introduce cascaded Electrostars (or similar) on that route and cascade some of the tram-trains onto the Coryton branch and the Cardiff-Caerphilly short workings, freeing up the tri-modes for extra Cardiff-Hereford/Chepstow stopping services.

Talk about wishful thinking!
After moving to tram-train operation, I have no idea how anyone can realistically expect those routes to end up with cascaded EMU's in the future!

WelshBluebird

Established Member
More likely they'd get new trams in about 20 years - they are much cheaper (and less long lasting) than trains.

Indeed. I suspect the move to tram-trains will be a step towards ending up with normal trams on the lines in the next few decades. Much more likely than ending up with fully heavy rail vehicles again anyway.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed. I suspect the move to tram-trains will be a step towards ending up with normal trams on the lines in the next few decades. Much more likely than ending up with fully heavy rail vehicles again anyway.

Though I do think not converting to low floor (therefore allowing a low cost Eurotram to be used) may prove an error if that is the long term plan.

Cardiff123

Established Member
I've read numerous articles that confirm that the Merthyr/Aberdare/Treherbert lines are being upgraded and maintained to Network Rail heavy rail standards (I assume NR have made this a condition of transferring ownership of the infrastructure to Welsh Govt) and that the Citylink metro vehicles are more 'train-tram' than 'tram-train'.

For as long as the Metro vehicles are running in and out of Queen Street and Central they will have to stay heavy rail compatible

Cardiff123

Established Member
Though I do think not converting to low floor (therefore allowing a low cost Eurotram to be used) may prove an error if that is the long term plan.
Can you point us towards the money tree please? They can't even afford to do a proper and full job of the electrification let alone re-building every platform on those lines for low-floor trams.

I doubt it could be the long term plan, as I just said, for as long as the Merthyr/Aberdare/Treherbert lines continue to share Queen St with the Rhymney line and Central with mainline trains they will have to stay heavy rail compatible.

What's the benefit of converting those 3 lines to pure tram operation just for a few on-street extensions in the upper Valleys, but then losing the ability to run trains to Queen St and Central?
We covered this extensively a few months ago. Aside from banning buses and cars from Cardiff's streets, it's not suitable for trams when it has a segregated HR network.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Talk about wishful thinking!
After moving to tram-train operation, I have no idea how anyone can realistically expect those routes to end up with cascaded EMU's in the future!
Well, if my post is wishful thinking then yours is depressing thinking. As I said, if there are to be extensions then the need for toilets (and therefore heavy-rail EMUs rather than tram-trains) becomes even greater. It's probably too late to save Treherbert/Merthyr/Aberdare passengers from crossed-legs for the next decade or so but I really hope it doesn't have to stay that way forever. Maintaining the track to heavy-rail standards keeps a faint glimmer of hope alive...

AndrewE

Established Member
Wales completes £800m order for 148 new trains (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45197544) says today
... Five old London Underground District Line trains are also to be refurbished "with all the mod cons" by contractor Vivarail, to run on routes in north Wales and will be introduced in late 2019.

CAF will build 51 two-car and 26 three-car diesel trains while Stadler will make 35 regional trains - with three or four carriages - and 36 three-car trams.

Stadler's tram trains will operate between Cardiff, Treherbert, Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil and will have electric and battery power capability.
Not sure if anything new here, but I guess the Conwy valley line is getting the 230s, unless they are for Wrexham - Bidston.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-45172211/how-to-get-rewards-for-your-rubbish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-45224687/busting-myths-about-spiders

craigybagel

Established Member
Wales completes £800m order for 148 new trains (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45197544) says today

Not sure if anything new here, but I guess the Conwy valley line is getting the 230s, unless they are for Wrexham - Bidston.

Current plan seems to be 2 for Wrexham - Bidston, 1 for Conwy Valley, 1 for Chester - Crewe, and 1 spare. When the CAF units arrive, they'll replace the 230s on the latter two routes and those 230s will double the frequency on Wrexham - Bidston.

As I've said on other threads however, it's hard to picture a train more inappropriate for Chester - Crewe then 230s, so I do have my doubts as to whether that will actually happen or not.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The BBC article seems to be a rehash of a TfW announcement, rather than the KeolisAmey confirmation of the orders with CAF/Stadler.
There's nothing new on the CAF site.
Stadler has this press release mirroring the TfW one: https://wwwstadlerrailcom-live-01e9...8_0813_media_release_wales_and_borders_en.pdf
Stadler CITYLINK tram-trains and FLIRT trains (Fast Light Intercity and Regional Train), are set to become a familiar sight on the Wales and Borders and South Wales Metro services, with 71 trains being introduced from 2022
Nothing has yet been said about the funding and ownership of the trains - presumably a ROSCO.
Both orders appear to be at the preferred bidder stage (ie still subject to contract).

John R

Well, if my post is wishful thinking then yours is depressing thinking. As I said, if there are to be extensions then the need for toilets (and therefore heavy-rail EMUs rather than tram-trains) becomes even greater. It's probably too late to save Treherbert/Merthyr/Aberdare passengers from crossed-legs for the next decade or so but I really hope it doesn't have to stay that way forever. Maintaining the track to heavy-rail standards keeps a faint glimmer of hope alive...
WelshBluebird is much more realistic thinking, rather than the fantasy world you appear to live in. 4 tph up each of the valleys will be a massive improvement and whilst the loss of toilets is regrettable, it's a small price to pay for the much lighter (and thus affordable, both to procure and run) vehicles that we will get. And you'll only ever have 15 mins to wait if you need to stop en route, or only 5 mins once on the core line south of Pontypridd (unless heading north beyond Ponty).

Double tracking, electrification, more frequent services, faster services, and still you're unhappy?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Replying with a "like" to say I appreciate your witty comment and to encourage you to write further ones.
That's brave of you: my wife says I need no encouragement. :)

All things considered, I think I prefer an occasional reply to a "like" counter next to each post. Thank you.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
WelshBluebird is much more realistic thinking, rather than the fantasy world you appear to live in. 4 tph up each of the valleys will be a massive improvement and whilst the loss of toilets is regrettable, it's a small price to pay for the much lighter (and thus affordable, both to procure and run) vehicles that we will get. And you'll only ever have 15 mins to wait if you need to stop en route, or only 5 mins once on the core line south of Pontypridd (unless heading north beyond Ponty).

Double tracking, electrification, more frequent services, faster services, and still you're unhappy?
We were promissed full heavy-rail electrification to Maesteg, Ebbw Vale and Barry Island, with no need for batteries, a few years ago. Thus what we are actually getting in infrustructure terms is less than was once expected so I would think my less-than-ecstatic reaction to the franchise announcement is not entirely unjustified. If we were getting the infrustructure originally promissed, it seems likely that the new franchise could have obtained either 379s or 458s at reasonable lease rates; the ROSCOs must be keen to ensure leases for such stock given that the DfT's quality weighting is seeing even nearly-new EMU stock replaced by brand-new. Given the cancellation of the wires to Swansea, I am relieved that the suituation is not even worse than it is; but forgive me for not being overjoyed.

Also, I responded to two (or was it three) consultations on the reletting of the franchise and, in at least two of those, included a comment that toilets were required on all trains except for the Cardiff Bay shuttle and possibly from Cardiff that terminate at Taffs Well or Caerphilly. I think I am therefore also justified in being unhappy that my comments were not acted upon. The FLIRTs on the Rhymney branch (assuming they will have toilets; I don't think there's been any mention of that so far) would seem to be a more-appropriate choice of stock for all the 'heads of the valleys' services. The fact that trains to Coryton and Caerphilly are also expected to be FLIRTs leads me to guess that the guaging issue that prevents 158s, 153s, 175s and (presumably) 170s running north of Taffs Well is the only reason why Aberdare, Merthyr and Treherbert services will lose their toilets. Otherwise why not send the Coryton and Caerphilly terminators to Cardiff Bay instead (using the tram-trains) to free up FLIRTs for the western valleys?

There is also the matter of the frequently-mooted extension of Aberdare services to Hirwaun; the additional mileage (and possibly only 2tph beyond Aberdare) would make the case for on-board toilets even stronger.

John R

Politicians can promise a lot, and whilst you might be disappointed with the outcome, most observers are viewing the proposals in a very positive light, and they probably represent a pragmatic and cost effective way of delivering the majority of improvements. I don't think 4th up all the Cardiff valleys was promised, but that is a huge step forward.
As for being unhappy that your comments weren't acted upon, a consultation is just that, and it's unrealistic to expect that your comments will always be listened to. Especially if provision of toilets results in a significant increase in costs. Most journeys are likely to be around no more than 30 minutes, 50 mins max to Cardiff, and if you're desperate you can jump off and rejoin with minimal delay. Toilets would mean heavy rail vehicles, which would increase vehicle costs, energy consumption, weight, wear on the tracks, and add to servicing costs. I can understand the decision to go toiletless light rail vehicles to make 4tph affordable.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Politicians can promise a lot, and whilst you might be disappointed with the outcome, most observers are viewing the proposals in a very positive light, and they probably represent a pragmatic and cost effective way of delivering the majority of improvements. I don't think 4th up all the Cardiff valleys was promised, but that is a huge step forward.
As for being unhappy that your comments weren't acted upon, a consultation is just that, and it's unrealistic to expect that your comments will always be listened to. Especially if provision of toilets results in a significant increase in costs. Most journeys are likely to be around no more than 30 minutes, 50 mins max to Cardiff, and if you're desperate you can jump off and rejoin with minimal delay. Toilets would mean heavy rail vehicles, which would increase vehicle costs, energy consumption, weight, wear on the tracks, and add to servicing costs. I can understand the decision to go toiletless light rail vehicles to make 4tph affordable.
Yet Rhymney services are going from 1tph up to 4tph and are getting heavy rail Stadler Flirts.

I wonder whether we would now be seeing the entire Valleys network getting tri-mode Stadler Flirts if TfW hadn't written into the ITT (remember we were promised the ITT would be published? :lol:) that the winning bidder must procure vehicles capable of running on-street, to use the pre-specified depot at Taffs Well that Welsh Govt already bought the land for long before the Metro and franchise winner was announced.

4tph to Merthyr, Aberdare and Treherbert is being achieved in the same way as it is to Rhymney. By doubling track and electrifying to Network Rail HR standards with 25 kV AC.
If anything, the infrastructure works could come in slightly cheaper if HR Flirts were used. No need to build more toilets at extra stations, and no need to electrify right up to the heads as is happening with the Rhymney line, where wires are only going as far as Ystrad Mynach with the high capacity batteries of the Flirts, which have a 40 mile range, being used beyond there. The CityLink vehicles in comparison have batteries with a range of just 4 miles.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Yet Rhymney services are going from 1tph up to 4tph and are getting heavy rail Stadler Flirts.

I wonder whether we would now be seeing the entire Valleys network getting tri-mode Stadler Flirts if TfW hadn't written into the ITT (remember we were promised the ITT would be published? :lol:) that the winning bidder must procure vehicles capable of running on-street, to use the pre-specified depot at Taffs Well that Welsh Govt already bought the land for long before the Metro and franchise winner was announced.

4tph to Merthyr, Aberdare and Treherbert is being achieved in the same way as it is to Rhymney. By doubling track and electrifying to Network Rail HR standards with 25 kV AC.
If anything, the infrastructure works could come in slightly cheaper if HR Flirts were used. No need to build more toilets at extra stations, and no need to electrify right up to the heads as is happening with the Rhymney line, where wires are only going as far as Ystrad Mynach with the high capacity batteries of the Flirts, which have a 40 mile range, being used beyond there. The CityLink vehicles in comparison have batteries with a range of just 4 miles.

Don't forget that all-important 300m of on-street running in the Bay! I wonder how much disruption to rail services a road vehicle stuck there will cause?

squizzler

Established Member
As I said, if there are to be extensions then the need for toilets (and therefore heavy-rail EMUs rather than tram-trains) becomes even greater. It's probably too late to save Treherbert/Merthyr/Aberdare passengers from crossed-legs for the next decade or so but I really hope it doesn't have to stay that way forever. Maintaining the track to heavy-rail standards keeps a faint glimmer of hope alive...
I find it extraordinary the number of posts such as this example going on about the onboard toilets. Pity the people setting off from Cardiff on the T4 bus to Newtown! Many will prefer to use a land based crapper rather than risk the onboard john being out of use or heavily in demand by other customers. This means not only that upgrading the specification of the railway means less railway can be afforded with the same budget, but the throne (I strongly suspect) will only be used by a minority of the regular customers of the line anyway.

In passing, does anybody know if the industry has ballpark costs for the running costs of an onboard bog? There is not only the cleaning and provision of consumables such as bog roll and soap common to a land based khazi (itself more labour intensive due to cubicles being distributed along train rather than in one place like land based WC), but also charging the freshwater tank and discharge of sewerage, different maintenance requirements for vacuum type systems relative to normal flusher, addition of deadweight and loss of revenue earning floorspace in vehicle, not to mention purchase price of a specialised piece of equipment.

Last edited:

sw1ller

Established Member
I find it extraordinary the number of posts such as this example going on about the onboard toilets. Pity the people setting off from Cardiff on the T4 bus to Newtown! Many will prefer to use a land based crapper rather than risk the onboard john being out of use or heavily in demand by other customers. This means not only that upgrading the specification of the railway means less railway can be afforded with the same budget, but the throne (I strongly suspect) will only be used by a minority of the regular customers of the line anyway.

In passing, does anybody know if the industry has ballpark costs for the running costs of an onboard bog? There is not only the cleaning and provision of consumables such as bog roll and soap common to a land based khazi (itself more labour intensive due to cubicles being distributed along train rather than in one place like land based WC), but also charging the freshwater tank and discharge of sewerage, different maintenance requirements for vacuum type systems relative to normal flusher, addition of deadweight and loss of revenue earning floorspace in vehicle, not to mention purchase price of a specialised piece of equipment.

Add to that list, all the fare dodgers that can’t hide in a small cubical that doesn’t exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.