Keolis Amey Wales - Future Rolling Stock

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by AventraFlex, 26 May 2018.

1. 43096

43096 Established Member

Errrrrrrr. They can. If TfW have a binding contract with start date then the trains have to transfer regardless if Greater Anglia have any replacements. If the 170s stay longer with GA then TfW would have to agree to it.

See the cascade of 156s, 158s and 170s from ScotRail to Northern where ScotRail have had to backfill with unrefurbished HST sets as an example.

2. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

150285 was seen dumped at the back of Canton yesterday and still in ATW livery

3. Gareth Marston

Gareth Marston Established Member

The 170's look a fairly safe bet. GA Flirts are being tested now with no known problems so far, squadron service from May onward and GA have the "fallback" of hanging on to their 156/153 fleet as they have no new home to go to.

4. 43096

43096 Established Member

That we know of. I wouldn’t expect PRM compliant 156s to be unwanted - EMT seems a logical home.

5. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

I'm sure the 156s will probably get used, but as far as I know no formal requirement for them has yet been agreed. The Stadler fleet is looking good so far and should be able to replace the 170s, however, the Bombardier fleet is far more an issue. It's not out of the question that GA may want to use Flirts on electric mode to cover for lack of available 720s if any of their EMUs go off-lease.

6. Gareth Marston

Logic doesn't come into it in the UK rolling stock "market" remember it's perfectly acceptable for overcrowding to exist all over the UK whilst We pretend that a handful of grossly over budget and late infrastructure projects are somehow the envy of the world.

7. PaulHarding150

PaulHarding150 Member

https://tfw.gov.wales/sites/default/files/documents/ITSFT Volume 6 (Rolling Stock) Conformed.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jan 2019
  8. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Last edited: 5 Jan 2019
  9. CambrianCoast

CambrianCoast Member

Vivarail are looking to recruit a Rail Maintenance Technician in Wrexham. Looks like things are starting to move with the the 230s!

10. sw1ller

sw1ller Established Member

I’m led to believe they’ll be a nice new 230 sitting in Chester from March. Instructor training will start shortly. Anyone got any progress photos from Vivarail on them at all?

11. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

Nice to hear. It's a bit quiet on the Class 230 thread; the most recent update (Wednesday) is that:

12. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Confirmation, if it was needed, that TfW will use class 67s with their mark 4 rakes:
    Not the most accurate piece of journalism, as the DVTs are not "Class 82/2"s, but you get the gist.

13. anamyd

anamyd Established Member

Ah the mixing up of locomotive classes and vehicle numbers again. Is it a DVT or an early 60s electric locomotive...? :lol:

14. tomos dafis

tomos dafis Member

I know that TFW/Keolis-Amey have placed a confirmed order with Stadler for new trains, but I have not heard/read anything yet about confirmation of any firm order with CAF for the new Rural/longer distance DMU's - we know that CAF have "preferred bidder status" but is that still as far as it has got? Any delay in delivering these would presumably mean 158's and 175's staying longer than planned and delays to some planned new services further down the line?

15. krus_aragon

I haven't seen any confirmation yet either, but I'm not too concerned yet, as the TfW Civitys are almost a follow-on order to Northern's 195s and WMT's 196s. I see delays in the construction/acceptance of those fleets as a greater hazard than the current lack of a signed contract.

Plus, CAF's Newport factory hasn't been built yet: they've only just started recruiting.

16. anamyd

https://www.irekia.euskadi.eus/mobile/en/news/47493 for a video and photos of a tour of the factory 6 months ago :)

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6447505713437634560 for photos of the first Class 195 vehicle bodyshell having arrived at the factory 4 months ago :)

https://www.railbusinessdaily.com/vip-visitors-tour-new-caf-train-manufacturing-facility/ for photos of a couple of Class 195 vehicle bodyshells in the factory 3 months ago :)

Now with more smiley faces :D

In all seriousness, it would be reassuring once TOPS classes for the brand new TfW Rail Services trains are revealed. The article you linked to about recruitment is from over a year ago by the way.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2019
  17. krus_aragon

Mega-oops. It's 2019 now, isn't it? :oops:

That factory's sprung up quickly since I was passing by last year. (How did I miss announcements of its opening? :rolleyes:)

18. anamyd

Yes indeed, 2018 was a crazy quick year. I went back to a YouTube video I thought I had posted a comment on a couple of months ago and it said "1 year ago"!

To be fair, things have been a bit quiet with the news and press releases on that place. Someone reckoned there may be some official announcement fairly soon, now that Cl. 195 vehicle shells have been delivered in their 10s.

19. Gareth Marston

The TFW Civity finance package had not been finalised in December.

20. anamyd

Anyone know of any progress with that...?

21. tomos dafis

tomos dafis Member

On a journey today on valley lines passed and counted 5 separate pacers with TFW temporary vinyl rebranding. Think all were 143's but did not get numbers. The 3 I managed to read all stated (optimistically) "These trains will be leaving soon".

22. sw1ller

Quite rude really. I get that most passengers can’t wait to see the back of them but, what a workhorse it’s been! It’s not the pacers fault it’s past it’s prime. Just seems a bit disrespectful to them.

I say this, I’ve only been on 2 in my life, I can’t even imagine the suffering the valleys have had in recent times.

23. tomos dafis

tomos dafis Member

It is a disrespectful and visibly negative way to say farewell to these old hard- working units. If things go pear - shaped with delivery of cascaded/conerted units this year TFW may end up with egg on their faces if some of these need to stick around in 2020.

24. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

Surely the way you do it is with 'new trains coming soon', not 'we'll get rid of these things eventually, honest'. Positivity!

25. tomos dafis

tomos dafis Member

Totally agree. In PR terms that would be a much more positive and encouraging message. The original 2 143's treated in this way had the more positive slogan "The journey begins" which was preferrable to this later version.

26. Parallel

Parallel Established Member

:lol::lol:

I don’t know about now but a few years ago it was reported that ATW’s Pacers were the most reliable from the stock they ran. I also don’t think the WG/Keolis Amey are currently in the position to make promises about stock...

Maybe it should say “These trains will be leaving soon and you’ll have to put up with a rail replacement bus service due to a shortage of units”

27. Dai Corner

Dai Corner Established Member

Or ' We know you'd rather sit in these trains than stand in slightly newer ones or be left behind but we're getting rid of them anyway'?

28. Josh Bussell

Josh Bussell Member

In fact CAF is up and running producing the 195s. They have been doing so since November. TFW stock starts production August 2020 I believe. After West Midlands.

29. sw1ller

Anyone else find this absurd?? (I trust you’re talking the truth, I just find that the factory is pumping out other TOCs units a bit crap. The welsh franchise should be prioritised at this location.)

30. mde

mde Member

Why? CAF will be looking for return on investment fairly quickly - if there is work from other sources which could be started right away then this would be the best way to do that.