Keolis Amey Wales - Future Rolling Stock

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by AventraFlex, 26 May 2018.

1. Neen Sollars

Neen Sollars Member

I wouldn`t be surprised if a Minister had got it wrong. Can 5 units really serve three lines? Or is there a suggestion that a further order for 230`s will be placed? I note bike racks are also to be fitted to the units.

2. craigybagel

craigybagel Established Member

The 3 lines only need 4 units per day between them (1 on Blaneau, one on Crewe - Chester and 2 on Bidston), with a 5th unit spare. This was meant to be a short term fix to release 150s. Once the CAF units arrive, they're meant to replace the 230s on Blaneau and Crewe - Chester, with the 230s going to Bidston to double the service there to half hourly.

However, there has been much speculation and rumours internally and externally as to the suitability of the 230s for those 2 routes. As I've said myself many times I have serious doubts about using them on Crewe - Chester in particular. On the other hand, 5 units are coming and they do need using somewhere.....

Last edited: 31 Mar 2019
  3. Neen Sollars

Neen Sollars Member

Thanks for the clarification. I am sure an improved service on the Wrexham - Bidston line will be welcomed and hopefully improve passenger numbers. As for suitability only time will tell, perhaps going live on the Marston Vale line will be a good test.

4. driver_m

driver_m Established Member

The 60mph shouldn't be too much of an issue on Chester - Crewe on the current patterns as the VT stuff is 40 behind to Crewe and a 25m gap to Chester. The main pain on that line is any late running with the long section from Steel Works to Beeston plus any extra running services over the route. Hopefully the Crewe Resignalling will take care of that eventually......... (More in hope than actual fact!)

5. craigybagel

craigybagel Established Member

Indeed, and as Sw1ller has pointed out, if a 150 on one engine can cope with the timings, then a 230 with good acceleration but only 60mph top speed will probably be ok too. Knowing how protective Virgin can be though it wouldn't surprise me if they objected!

My main concern however is the layout of the units. I know we haven't seen exactly what they're going to look like inside, and they are slightly longer then a 150, but I'm still concerned that a metro style layout with so many doors is going to provide too few seats and too little luggage space for this service. The 150s already struggle at times, especially on the luggage issue, and I can't see how these units are going to cope. I know it's only 23 minutes, and it's only for a few years, but it's still going to reflect excellent poorly on the franchise, especially for passengers changing at Crewe.

6. Neen Sollars

Neen Sollars Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Don`t have the know how to expand these, but the latest news release from the Wales Transport Minister indicates bike racks are now to be installed. 125 seats and 293 capacity.
    "http://vivarail.co.uk/minister-for-...-the-customer-experience-for-rail-users-in-n/"

Last edited: 25 Apr 2019
  7. anamyd

anamyd Established Member

8. Neen Sollars

Neen Sollars Member

Class 230. Good indication of performance between short interval stations

A class 230 now in service on Marston Vale line, TfW 230`s are a higher spec. than LNWR sets.

9. anamyd

It concerns me that it would appear that what will be the brand new CAF and Stadler stock for TfW, still has no TOPS (class) numbers...

10. squizzler

squizzler Member

I am wondering if the silence over contracts for the CAF trains has something to do with the proposals to outlaw diesel only stock in 2040 or so. Maybe they are hastily being redesigned as mild hybrid?

11. Along the bay

Along the bay Member

Making a few of them bi - modes could work for routes from Manchester / Liverpool / Birmingham .

12. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

Photos been posted on Facebook showing 769002 in the main carriage shed at Canton depot having a check over by engineers and having minor modifications done .

13. Erniescooper

Erniescooper Member

The contracts were signed 17th December last year

14. anamyd

got a link...? :)

15. Oscar46016

Oscar46016 Member

Just go to Facebook and search 769002 - it’s on the railways of South Wales group page

16. anamyd

I don't really use Facebook and it looks to be a closed (in the privacy sense) group

17. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

Yeah a quick search around with the groups filter and I can't find that image or even that group.

18. Dai Corner

Dai Corner Established Member

19. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

20. talerddig

talerddig New Member

The Ystwyth was diverted in medieval times to meet the harbour at the base of the breakwater and before you turn out to the big briney sea. Thus Aber can be both Aberystwyth and Aberrheidol. The original Aberystwyth castle was further south of Pen Dinas and the relocation to the current Edward 1 castle allowed a fortified town to be built with a navigable harbour serviced by two rivers. To keep this in railway mode, both sides of the harbour were serviced by railways. The south side by the Manchester & Milford, the north by the Vale of Rheidol. Neither were that successful