• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keolis Amey Wales - Future Rolling Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai Corner

Established Member
If the WG were worried about budget why faff about with buying Stadler Tram Trains and TriModes and taking over the Valleys from NR. The cheapest solution would be to electrify the Valleys as originally planned and use leased straight EMUs.

Yebbut, that wouldn't be a 'world class, transformational' train set.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
WG were originally offered the class 315s for the valley lines when electrification was 1st proposed.
When was it first proposed? If it was in recent years then I doubt they would want units built in 1980.

Nick Ashwell

Need I explain the political minefield that would have occurred replacing Sprinters with 315s? Doing a large project such as the Valleys wouldn't be good PR if you used old units such as the 315s. Even Trams are easier politically that old trains!

Bob Price

I remember being told the same by an ATW driver about 10 years ago. The 315's were earmarked for the Valleys.

That would have been an insult, here are your 'new' trains which are several years older than your current trains!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
That would have been an insult, here are your 'new' trains which are several years older than your current trains!
Just announce 'electrification' but not 'new trains' and they might have got away with fooling pepole into thinking the 150s were modified to electric and that we chose to put money into infrustructure rather than new trains on old infrustructure.

Of course the core valleys north of Cardiff are getting both infrustructure upgrades and new trains, but the budget doesn't stretch to electrification towards Barry/Penarth.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Yet couldn't the wg use their borrowing powers to pay for further electrification?

No, because Rail infrastructure isn't devolved (barring the core valley lines). It could pay for electrification out of taxes if it wanted to.

Pacerman99

Sorry if it's been posted here before, but if anyone is interested I've found the seating plan for the tri-mode flirts. IMO an ideal layout for the type of work they will be doing, although I would've thought a four carriage set would have more than one toilet like the three carriage CAF DMU's. Then again, I suppose they won't be working such long distances. https://www.stadlerrail.com/media/pdf/fwbbmu0519e.pdf

Kyle1

Sorry if it's been posted here before, but if anyone is interested I've found the seating plan for the tri-mode flirts. IMO an ideal layout for the type of work they will be doing, although I would've thought a four carriage set would have more than one toilet like the three carriage CAF DMU's. Then again, I suppose they won't be working such long distances. https://www.stadlerrail.com/media/pdf/fwbbmu0519e.pdf

2600KW in a light 3/4 carriage train is a bit much right? That's over 3000BHP in a train only geared to do 75mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.