• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Key government scientific adviser resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJames

Established Member
Interestingly, see this live feed: https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...inese-lab-theory-as-global-deaths-pass-250000
The epidemiologist credited with convincing the UK government to abandon thoughts of pursuing herd immunity in favour of physical distancing has resigned amid allegations he breached lockdown rules.

According to the Daily Telegraph, Prof Neil Ferguson stepped down from his government advisory position over claims a woman with whom he is in a romantic relationship, but who lives elsewhere, visited him at his home during the lockdown.

Prof Ferguson has told the Telegraph:

I accept I made an error of judgment and took the wrong course of action. I have therefore stepped back from my involvement in Sage.
I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus, and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms.
I deeply regret any undermining of the clear messages around the continued need for social distancing to control this devastating epidemic. The government guidance is unequivocal, and is there to protect all of us.

It's clearly getting to everyone...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member

Harbon 1

Handy bit of news to cover the fact we've overtaken Italy. Wouldn't want those pesky news outlets bleating on about that all day! ;)

Vespa

Established Member
Very much like the Scottish Cheif Medical Officer tell everybody to "do as I say not as I do"

I can't even visit my parents or my brothers as they are in separate households, we keep in touch using Whatsapp, why can't he ?

civ-eng-jim

Seriously though, Prof Ferguson practice what you preach at least. Otherwise why the heck should we listen to the experts if they go off and do their own thing?

Professor Ferguson wasn't really preaching though was he? He was employed to provide reasoned scientific advice. He didn't profess to being infallible. It would be utterly foolish for rest of the general public to dismiss his advice just because he made an error of judgement. The same applies that you shouldn't ignore a severely overweight Doctor who can still legitimately advise you to lose weight, eat a balance diet and get plenty of exercise. Unfortunately the tabloid press has jumped on his "unorthodox personal arrangement" to deliberately detract from his knowledge in his field.

sheff1

Established Member
It would be utterly foolish for rest of the general public to dismiss his advice just because he made an error of judgement.

He (and the Scottish CMO) clearly did not believe the advice they gave was worth following, so dismissing it seems perfectly rational.

Andyh82

Established Member
He (and the Scottish CMO) clearly did not believe the advice they gave was worth following, so dismissing it seems perfectly rational.
In normal situations I might agree, but in the middle of a pandemic I’m not so sure. At the end of the day the country ends up losing experience at the top table.

It’s like when people demand the PM and senior ministers resign now.

If you were playing party politics, maybe you might have that view, but this current situation is more than that.

si404

Established Member
In normal situations I might agree, but in the middle of a pandemic I’m not so sure.
NO NO NO - that makes it all the more important that he had to go.

If the Prof can have his lover come visit and that's OK, then I can go to granny's funeral. If the Prof can have his lover come visit and that's OK, then I can go and hug my parents. If the Prof can have his lover around and that's OK, then my child can have a friend over to play. If the Prof can have his lover come visit and that's OK, then I can have my tinder date come visit too.

But it's not OK, according to his expert advice as implemented as Government policy, and therefore we, unless the policy is nonsense and it is actually OK* the public need to be told in no uncertain terms that it was not OK to do that else people will die.

The only option for the Professor to have his professional reputation (in the form of the lockdown plan he put his face on as the brains behind) intact, even if his personal reputation is in tatters, was to admit he was in the wrong, apologise and pass the baton on to other experts that share his view but aren't sullied like him. Which is what has happened.

*in which case sack the 'expert' who's expertise wrongly denied people the ability to hug mum, see friends, mourn loved ones, etc.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Professor Ferguson wasn't really preaching though was he? He was employed to provide reasoned scientific advice. He didn't profess to being infallible. It would be utterly foolish for rest of the general public to dismiss his advice just because he made an error of judgement. The same applies that you shouldn't ignore a severely overweight Doctor who can still legitimately advise you to lose weight, eat a balance diet and get plenty of exercise. Unfortunately the tabloid press has jumped on his "unorthodox personal arrangement" to deliberately detract from his knowledge in his field.

He was a key advisor to the government, the same government that told you, me and everyone else we weren't allowed to do what he did. So is it one rule for us, and another for him? I'm sorry but quite frankly this leads people to trust the government and their advisors less. There are already some serious questions being asked about the approach the government has taken, and this just adds to those.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Certainly that bit of it. There is something in the idea that you should be able to merge any two (or indeed more) households as long as both work together on isolation, i.e. the 7/14 day thing is done the same way as if they lived together. Not just those with kids to bounce back and forth.

That said if you've got someone cheating on their partner to see you that's a bit difficult :D

Llanigraham

On Moderation
There is a lot more to this than meets the eye!
The Prof lives in a remote area but somehow the press got to know about his indiscretion.
And I wonder why we have been getting spurious applications to join local Facebook groups, including the Covid19 group, and when checked they have been fake accounts?
Funny how the Prof isn't the first scientist who disagrees with future government decisions has had to resign!

greyman42

Established Member
Ferguson and Calderwood got caught out. It makes me wonder how many in high profile jobs have got away with it.

bramling

Veteran Member
Ferguson and Calderwood got caught out. It makes me wonder how many in high profile jobs have got away with it.

Why just high-profile jobs? Judging by the numbers of cars now on the roads, including at times when they’re unlikely to be for work-related journeys such as in the late evening, it seems almost certain a proportion of people have been visiting others. In reality the chances of being picked up are akin to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.