• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

KGX to EDB with two U5s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebaz

Going up to Edinburgh in a week or so with the family (2 + 2 U5s) - What would be the best way of ensuring seats for my two boys? Is there a way of reserving seats for them or would I have to buy child tickets in addition?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
If you would like guaranteed seats for them, you will need to purchase child tickets. This may actually bring down the cost of your overall journey if you add a Family & Friends Railcard into the mix.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I thought that might be the case. Shame we don't have a railcard.
You may find that the cost of the railcard (£30) is covered by the discount on the tickets. You've then got the railcard for the rest of the year.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
It might be worth looking at getting a railcard. It is only £30.00 often less with a discount code and could quite easily pay for itself on just this journey alone if it saves you over £30.00 which shouldn't be difficult.

cuccir

Established Member
I thought that might be the case. Shame we don't have a railcard.

Agreed with the others above: it may be worth getting one! I don't know when you're travelling but taking next Tuesday as an example, even on the cheapest Advance tickets then you'd save around £50 with a Railcard; and that saving would be more at peak times or with flexible tickets.

You can buy a ticket online without having the Railcard, as long as you've purchased it by the date of travel.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
It seems there's always a code (or several) out there for 10% off Friends & Family, 16-25 and Senior Railcards (i.e. £30 down to £27), but until 12 October you can get £5 off a F&F Railcard (so down to £25) by using the promo code "SEFFSEP17".

Note these discounts are only for Railcards bought online via the Railcard website and sent out by post, and do not apply when buying a Railcard at a station ticket office. Postal fulfilment of orders is normally pretty quick, I'd operate on the basis of a week at most.

(Or are these promo discounts also available for Digital Railcards via the app?)

gray1404

Established Member
Just remember if you are using the railcard in future you only need to buy at least 1 child child for any adults travelling to also get the discount. Although I understand in this case you wanted seat reservations for all 4 of you.

Thebaz

Just remember if you are using the railcard in future you only need to buy at least 1 child child for any adults travelling to also get the discount. Although I understand in this case you wanted seat reservations for all 4 of you.

Yep, all understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.